Panamoz - Paying via BACS. Would you?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I'm basically looking to buy a 5Dmk3 with the 24-105. On Panamoz its £2290 which is already a really good price but if you pay via BACS its £2195.

Is it really worth messing around with BACS just to have a £95 saving or is it completely legit and a nice way to save nearly £100?

Appreciate your advise, thanks!

Ask yourself is it worth the risk of paying ANYONE by BACS, especially if they are in another country. Only you can decide.

Hi

I'm basically looking to buy a 5Dmk3 with the 24-105. On Panamoz its £2290 which is already a really good price but if you pay via BACS its £2195.

Is it really worth messing around with BACS just to have a £95 saving or is it completely legit and a nice way to save nearly £100?

Appreciate your advise, thanks!

I've bought from them on three occasions and have used BACS each time without any problems.

I have bought on two occasions and used BACS transfer

Last edited:
Many people have without problems.
Personally I wouldn't.

They may be an honest business but things happen. If they suddenly go bust you will have no recourse to get your money back.
Or what happens in 6 months time when the close up shop and your camera/lens becomes faulty?

Is the 5% discount really worth the risk? Use a credit card every time but the trick with panamoz is to not pay using your paypal account as this will not give you any section 75 protection.
At the paypal login screen click the link that says "I do not have a paypal account". Then you can simply pay by card without funding your account. PayPal will try to get you to create an account or to get you to log into your own. DON'T

This will give you section 75 protection.

Last edited:
I'm about to purchase a 6d but can't decide whether to go down the panamoz route and if so use the bacs method. Currently £1010! V's £1370 (uk stock) but with this you get £150 cashback and a copy of lightroom 5 and elements 11 which I reckon you could sell for £100. Brining the total down to close to £1100. If it wasn't for cashback I wouldn't hesitate but this is swaying me right now.
Panamoz's recent dodgy period does scare me some what.

Against my better judgement I decided to use the BACS method which I am pleased to say proved to be painless and I would now use it again should I make any further purchases with them.

It all boils down to reputation and trust.

When paying by credit card to a company in another country I'm not sure if you're covered by the same laws and regulations that you are if purchasing from a UK company. If that us the case then you may just as well pay by BACS.

It all boils down to reputation and trust. When paying by credit card to a company in another country I'm not sure if you're covered by the same laws and regulations that you are if purchasing from a UK company. If that us the case then you may just as well pay by BACS.

You will get the same protection regardless of where your chased the goods.

Well, over the last 12 months I bought 2 lenses from Panamoz...both paid for by BACS, last lens I just received yesterday...delivered by UPS....and on the parcel it stated " Camera lens..no batteries". £150 cheaper for one lens......no brainer for me. In fact, I've got the account saved just so it's even easier next time.
JohnyT

Last edited:
Hi i have just got a 7d from Pamamoz and got a lens from them before used the BACS no problem would use them all the time
stevewrx

You will get the same protection regardless of where your chased the goods.

How do you figure that?

Deal with a UK company and you have the ability to go to the company, you have a raft of consumer legislation, you have Trading Standards and ultimately you have the Courts to turn to.

You buy from Hong Kong and pay by BACS and you have the sum total of zero protection, short of buying a plane ticket and flying to Hong Kong and trying to sue in a Hong Kong court, you have absolutely no comeback. You may as well send an envelope of cash.

You might want to read Horney's story in the DigitalRev thread, he has eventually got a refund from Paypal after the item didn't arrive, DR weren't interested and if he hadn't paid with Paypal he would be up a well known creek without a paddle.

Last edited:
dave's still right though

you won't have sect 75 protection buying from panamoz , because they use a third party to process payment - that applies to uk companies t who use paypal/worldpay/google checkout etc too , but as dave says in the Uk you at least have recourse to the courts

dave's still right though

you won't have sect 75 protection buying from panamoz , because they use a third party to process payment - that applies to uk companies t who use paypal/worldpay/google checkout etc too , but as dave says in the Uk you at least have recourse to the courts

It's the answer to a different question.

The question was a general question about 'paying by credit card to a company in another country', not about using a credit card to pay Panamoz.

yeah but the thread is about paying panamoz by BACs to its quite clear the they are the company concerned by implication.

Horneys experience with Digital Rev would suggest that in fact the best way to pay a company where sect 75 protections don't apply is via paypal - if he'd paid by BACs or credit card he'd probably still be waiting for his goods/refund

yeah but the thread is about paying panamoz by BACs

We know that.

its quite clear the they are the company concerned by implication.

The question was a general one.

Horneys experience with Digital Rev would suggest that in fact the best way to pay a company where sect 75 protections don't apply is via paypal - if he'd paid by BACs or credit card he'd probably still be waiting for his goods/refund

That has been pointed out on a number of occasions. As have the disadvantages and implications of buying grey. Time and again. We hear you. We make our own choices.

yeah and forums are for discussion so your point is ?

points both for and against have been made time and again - but as i said thats what forums are for. Of course you can make your own choices, but the OP asked for opinions on whether paying panamoz by BACS was a good idea. He didnt say tell me what a great idea it is and never mention any of the potential pitfalls

Last edited:
dave's still right though you won't have sect 75 protection buying from panamoz , because they use a third party to process payment - that applies to uk companies t who use paypal/worldpay/google checkout etc too , but as dave says in the Uk you at least have recourse to the courts

Not strictly true though, it's more difficult if a 3rd party is used but can still apply!

Not strictly true though, it's more difficult if a 3rd party is used but can still apply!

from money saving expert

You're unlikely to be covered when payments are made to a company that isn't the one providing you with the product or service. In these cases, the credit card company usually says it didn't have a direct relationship with the supplier, so isn't equally liable.

it does go on to say that since a court ruling in 2006 you can argue for an indirect relationship, but notes that its unlikely to be an easy task

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

so in short you are right you can still apply, but you are likely to be told to **** off, ergo the protection is not the same as using your card with a supplier who processes directly

that said if you used a mastercard amex or visa credit card you could still look for chargeback on non arrival of goods - but this is a CC policy thing not a legal protection - whether it is more powerful than a paypal refund is debateable... what isnt debateable is that you don't get even this protection if you pay by BACS (and that applues to paying for anything via BACS not just grey imports)

Last edited:
That has been pointed out on a number of occasions. As have the disadvantages and implications of buying grey. Time and again. We hear you. We make our own choices.

The OP (Ben) asked for opinions, to which folk have replied, so he can then make his decision (or `choice` as you put it)

Why are you so against balanced opinions & opposing views? (& why mention buying `grey` again when it seems a touchy subject?)

Why are you so against balanced opinions & opposing views? (& why mention buying `grey` again when it seems a touchy subject?)

Some people seem to have an urge to defend and promote HK sellers, no matter what or where. Why? Who knows? :shrug:

As tempting as Panamoz is for their pricing is, I'm still reluctant to spend the kind of money with a relatively unknown (to me) company in a far away land via BACS which gives me little recourse if the worst should happen.

It's a painful experience looking at their website when the prices are as they are :LOL:

As tempting as Panamoz is for their pricing is, I'm still reluctant to spend the kind of money with a relatively unknown (to me) company in a far away land via BACS which gives me little recourse if the worst should happen.

It's a painful experience looking at their website when the prices are as they are :LOL:

Anyone who doesn't have a problem with the tax issue (or who intends declaring the import on arrival) should always use the most secure method of dealing with them. In the case of Panamoz I would suggest it would be Paypal, their buyer protection is extremely good, you would be covered quite well for non delivery and goods arriving not as described or damaged.

You wouldn't even have to deal directly with the HK retailer to a certain extent (other than through the Paypal dispute message system) and Paypal will refund you directly if the retailer is slow to do so.

Anyone who doesn't have a problem with the tax issue (or who intends declaring the import on arrival) should always use the most secure method of dealing with them. In the case of Panamoz I would suggest it would be Paypal, their buyer protection is extremely good, you would be covered quite well for non delivery and goods arriving not as described or damaged.

You wouldn't even have to deal directly with the HK retailer to a certain extent (other than through the Paypal dispute message system) and Paypal will refund you directly if the retailer is slow to do so.

Conscience aside, I still prefer the warm feeling of moving money closer to home - that's just me, safe Charlie :|:D

Conscience aside, I still prefer the warm feeling of moving money closer to home - that's just me, safe Charlie :|:D

You aren't the only one, I'd much prefer paying a little more knowing I am supporting a UK retailer.

If you want to spend in the UK - the best value is probably second hand outlets like MPB , Mifsuds, camtech etc.

if you want to buy new i'd urge you to support a proper camera shop (even if that means spending a little more) because the independents we all value won't survive if everyone buys off the net.

Supporting an indy also supports your local economy for double that warm feeling (y)

You aren't the only one, I'd much prefer paying a little more knowing I am supporting a UK retailer.

If you want to spend in the UK - the best value is probably second hand outlets like MPB , Mifsuds, camtech etc.

if you want to buy new i'd urge you to support a proper camera shop (even if that means spending a little more) because the independents we all value won't survive if everyone buys off the net.

Supporting an indy also supports your local economy for double that warm feeling (y)

I rarely buy new, so here or the outlets Pete have suggested are my usual haunts, along with evil bay :)

I've bought from Panamoz before and paid by Paypal for the first few times and then went to BACS after I'd had superb service from them every time. When I bought my Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII I got it at £1334 as opposed to the £1899 everywhere in the UK were asking so it's not a case of paying a little bit more, it was more a case of I buy at Panamoz for their price or I couldn't afford it.

£500+ in my pocket gives me a lot more than a warm feeling for buying local. If it were only a few pounds in it then more people would buy in this country. But at times when there is a lot of financial hardship around then for me that saving equates to a new camera as well as the lens.

Stuart, we all want a bargain & appreciate any saving, but, they are only cheaper because ......oh here we go again! :bang: :rules:

How do you know these RE-sellers sell UK spec? If anything I know many people that dump their slightly defective HK gear down there, so would totally avoid them.

P.S. Very tempted with the Sigma deal, probably will pull the trigger.

Wasn't there another thread on here about one of the second hand dealers asking for vat receipts to prove it was uk stock else they wouldn't take it?

Wasn't there another thread on here about one of the second hand dealers asking for vat receipts to prove it was uk stock else they wouldn't take it?

That's just it though, as far as I'm aware a VAT receipt doesn't prove it's UK stock. It just proves that the applicable VAT was paid on it. For example HDew sell grey market lenses (ie not imported via Canon UK) but will supply a VAT receipt if requested to do so.

I've bought from Panamoz before and paid by Paypal for the first few times and then went to BACS after I'd had superb service from them every time. When I bought my Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII I got it at £1334 as opposed to the £1899 everywhere in the UK were asking so it's not a case of paying a little bit more, it was more a case of I buy at Panamoz for their price or I couldn't afford it.

£500+ in my pocket gives me a lot more than a warm feeling for buying local. If it were only a few pounds in it then more people would buy in this country. But at times when there is a lot of financial hardship around then for me that saving equates to a new camera as well as the lens.

Financial hardship and buying 70-200 f2.8Ls doesn't really go together! Nobody on the planet needs this stuff, it's high end luxury gear. Financial hardship is not being able to afford your kids school uniforms, or wondering how you're going to pay the rent this month.

And I'm sorry but if you can only afford to buy something if you're buying it 'tax free', you still can't afford it, that's no justification.

How do you know these RE-sellers sell UK spec? If anything I know many people that dump their slightly defective HK gear down there, so would totally avoid them.

why should HK gear be defective ? (my issue with is tax evasion and lying to excise not the quality of the goods themselves which won't be any different from uk spec) - mpb offer a warranty on second hand gear and will exchange anything that did turn out to be defective.

Financial hardship and buying 70-200 f2.8Ls doesn't really go together! Nobody on the planet needs this stuff, it's high end luxury gear. Financial hardship is not being able to afford your kids school uniforms, or wondering how you're going to pay the rent this month.

And I'm sorry but if you can only afford to buy something if you're buying it 'tax free', you still can't afford it, that's no justification.

Agreed, the "I can't afford to pay" argument could then be used to steal the item as opposed to just stealing from the public purse.

Where does the dishonest aspect of "I'll get it unlawfully because I'm in financial hardship" end? By that excuse, is it ok to mug another photographer because they have kit you can't afford?

Back