Panasonic 14-42mm vs 12-60mm

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all.

I'm looking at getting a Panasonic Lumix G7 soon (next month or two), and see there are basiaclly 2 options available. One with a 14-42mm lens and the other with a 12-60mm lens (with a price difference of around £50, although on some occassions the difference has been as high as £150).

I'm wanting the camera mainly for 4k video, and was wondering if there is much difference in the lenses, particularly down at the lower end (12/14mm area). My only real experience with lens is my kit 18-55mm lens on my Canon EOS 1100D.

I shoot a varity of things, and really buying it ready for our wedding and trip across America next year. So expect I'll be filming some "vlog" style videos, as well as general travel videos and the like.

Speaking as a still shooter only...

I've had a G7 and 14-42mm and I wouldn't recommend the combination due to shutter shock and frankly I think someone at Panasonic should be nailed to the floor somewhere for offering the combination of a camera capable of inducing shutter shock and a lens affected by shutter shock as a camera and lens package.

The G7 is s good camera apart from the shutter shock issue and it'll perform well with lenses not affected by shutter shock. The 14-42mm lens is a good lens, it's compact and sharp enough to use wide open without worry and it'll perform well on a camera which doesn't cause shutter shock. It's just a shame that the two are paired together.

Shutter shock can be avoided by using the electronic shutter but be aware that this can cause banding under some lighting and rolling shutter effects.

Dunno if that helps or if shutter shock affects video but for stills shooting I wouldn't recommend a G7 and 14-42mm, in fact because of the shutter shock issue and the difficulty in knowing what lenses are or are not affected I wouldn't recommend a G7 at all.

I've never heard of that issue at all. So (hopefully) it only affects those who shoot stills.

Shutter shock seems to be an issue with some M43 cameras and lens combinations and not just the G7, and I'd suggest researching carefully before parting with cash.

FWIW 24-120 or equivalent (12-60 in this case) is pretty much my ideal zoom for travel, and substantially more convenient than 28-85, which always feels a little cramped at both ends. Do you get to use the full frame size for video, or is there some cropping?

I believe from what I've seen n YouTube, there's a touch of cropping. Was watching some reviews of this lens earlier, and someone said at 12mm, it feels almost like a 14mm with the crop considered.... So looks like I'll probably go for the 12-60 then (can't imagine what the 14mm would be like if that is cropped in)

I believe from what I've seen n YouTube, there's a touch of cropping. Was watching some reviews of this lens earlier, and someone said at 12mm, it feels almost like a 14mm with the crop considered.... So looks like I'll probably go for the 12-60 then (can't imagine what the 14mm would be like if that is cropped in)

Probably like a 35mm lens in FX. ;)

Shutter shock seems to be an issue with some M43 cameras and lens combinations and not just the G7, and I'd suggest researching carefully before parting with cash.

I have some old film era lenses and I was amazed to find that my Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 is affected by shutter shock on my GX7.

The issue is such that I simply wouldn't recommend cameras known to cause shutter shock as at some point in the future it can come up and bite you.

Back