Panasonic Battery

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guy's, i want another battery for my Panasonic G9. Any suggestions where to purchase one from. Or a 3rd party one with a recomendation please. TIA.

I have DOT.FOTO and VHBW and they have been fine.
Avoid any that claim a high capacity, they will likely be low.
There are lots on new names appeared lately, avoid them, there was a really lousy "make", that seems to have disappeared, and the new names appeared :)

electro-papa is quite a good seller, he seems to chose where he buys from well, and has been around for quite a while.

I have bought some VHBW batteries in the past and from 'electro-papa.' Absolute rubbish, particularly the Panasonic versions.

I have bought some VHBW batteries in the past and from 'electro-papa.' Absolute rubbish, particularly the Panasonic versions.

Interesting, either you must have been unlucky, or I have been lucky over the years :)

I test batteries over several cycles just after I buy them (after they have been used for a few cycles) and the capacity has always been over the rated capacity (they are rated at a lower capacity than the originals) and after several years are still in the 90+% range of what they were originally

The originals (G9) are rated at 1860 mAh and the vhbw are 1200mAh, perhaps you were expecting the same no of shots out of both?

I bought a couple of DSTE LP-E6 batteries for the D5iii two months ago, their capacities were just under the rated capacity (2600mAh) but a long way over the capacity of the originals (1800mAh) They seem to last for ever in the camera.
In a month or so's time, I will check them again, but at less than £11 each, they have to be really bad not to be worth the money :) (£80-90 for the original capacity, or over £100 for the increased capacity for the latest cameras).

The lousy make one I mentioned before was Bonacell

I tested two VHBW batteries yesterday, charged them both on the genuine Panasonic charger.

First discharged at 600mA, capacity 1421mAh
Second discharged at 300mA, capacity 1483 mAh Both these have a stated capacity of 1200mAh.

I then did the same with a genuine battery, discharged at 600mA, capacity 1882 mAh, Stated capacity 1860mAh

All three batteries are almost exactly 2 years old, and all had about the same amount of use.

Three of the VHBW batteries were £27,60 including postage, don't know what the originals cost :)

When it comes to discharging batteries, getting the discharge rate and end point voltage correct can make a big difference to mAh reading. Not all manufacturers use the same parameters, and often as not, the ones camera manufacturers use to rate the "number of clicks" they advertise for the body will reflect average or light battery use operating, it won't necessarily be under the most battery intensive operating conditions so any quoted values should be taken with a pinch of salt. Also trying to exactly replicate these figures should be taken in a similar manner as you can't replicate the unknown.

When it comes to discharging batteries, getting the discharge rate and end point voltage correct can make a big difference to mAh reading. Not all manufacturers use the same parameters, and often as not, the ones camera manufacturers use to rate the "number of clicks" they advertise for the body will reflect average or light battery use operating, it won't necessarily be under the most battery intensive operating conditions so any quoted values should be taken with a pinch of salt. Also trying to exactly replicate these figures should be taken in a similar manner as you can't replicate the unknown.

Yes, the standard end voltage is 3V per cell, and what I use for measuring stops the discharge at this point.
And yes discharge rate can have an affect on the measured capacity, and many batteries specify the discharge rate for the specified capacity.
And no you can't replicate the unknown, but lithium batteries can supply high currents, far above what any camera will draw, so testing the capacity with a constant current discharge is an good indication of its capacity and condition..

As for number of shots, it is logical you will get less out of a 1000mAh battery than you would out of a 2000mAh battery, unless you were shooting in a completely different manner or mode.

Back