"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I mostly use manual lenses on my G1 but today I was using my 20mm f1.7 in quite low light and I noticed that the metering seemed to be unreliable and that I was getting images that were quite a bit under exposed and having to dial in some compensation (up to 1 stop) in both Aperture priority and Manual modes.

This was when using Multiple metering and when I switched to spot I could guess what to meter off and get a much better exposure.

When I changed back to a manual lens and Multiple metering the exposures were good again (slightly over exposed actually, which is what I get with all of my manual lenses in low light (but that's better than quite a bit under exposed...) even for the same framing.

As it's been about two years since I used the 20mm f1.7 in low light I can really remember if I had the same issue then. I used it in good light last summer and it was fine.

Anyone else spotted under exposure with this lens or have any idea why I'm getting different exposures with different lenses in Multiple?

Baffled at the mo... :thinking:

The Golla GOLG1259 is also £7 at Amazon inc delivery
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006ZG5E...d=21418975991532894373&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Going to order one for my GX1+12-35mm lens - seems like it would be a nice fit..

Hadn't seen them on Amazon, good to know theres some around is I had the last one I think from my local asda.

How you finding the 12-35 Harry? I'm thinking of reducing all my lenses and getting 12-35 and 35-100 (Keeping Samyang 7.5 and Panasonic 100-300)

Sounds like an ideal lens kit does that.

Noticed Mathers have the GH3 body for £899 if it's of interest to anybody cheapest I've seen in the UK so far
http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/prodDetail.html?intProductID=2605

Now that is good, wish I had the cash for one!

Since the Olympus m4/3 body can use Panasonic lenses, is a 17mm prime lens good to have?

:)

Just a head's up - hope it's OK to do this - I just posted an ad for my "like new" GH3 - I am selling as I am leaving m 4/3 for DSLR land. Please take a look at the entry in the classifieds section. I would accept £800 or there abouts and the camera can be viewed and demoed if you can get to Surrey. Thanks !

How you finding the 12-35 Harry? I'm thinking of reducing all my lenses and getting 12-35 and 35-100 (Keeping Samyang 7.5 and Panasonic 100-300)

Hi,
Not had much chance to use it yet - apart from one outing to Cutty Sark a few weeks back. Main positive for me is F2.8 with OIS and a bit of zoom. Low light performance is my priority as much of photography is indoors - and I hate using a flash.

IF I had the dosh I would also love to get the 35-100. I think I would settle on one fixed lens e.g. P20mm or O45 and the the two lenses you mention.

So we are off to Norway for a week later in May. I have never really been in to landscapes and trying to imagine what sort of kit would best be suited to dramatic (hopefully) scenery. I'm taking a tripod and GX1 and will also need.........? What lenses would you advise?

When people talk about landscape lenses they often mean wide angle but I've been using 28 and 50mm lenses on my G1.

I used to love my 12-24mm on my 20D and it's a beast on my 5D :D and produces some dramatic results... but I suppose it all depends upon the look you are going for.

Also, many people assume that with landscape you need front to back DoF but there's no reason why you simply have to go down the wide angle + max DoF route.

I haven't been much help have I? :D

I haven't been much help have I? :D

Actually I think you have. I was thinking that I should consider a wide angle but not sure that I'd get the use from it. Very probably the 12-35 is wide enough. Was also considering getting a decent CP but the 12-35 does seem to vignette with a thin protect filter so a CP is likely to make things worse.

Actually I think you have. I was thinking that I should consider a wide angle but not sure that I'd get the use from it. Very probably the 12-35 is wide enough. Was also considering getting a decent CP but the 12-35 does seem to vignette with a thin protect filter so a CP is likely to make things worse.

I've been thinking of the 12-35 and a 58mm 10 stopper + CPL + ND grad, so hope it would not be too bad

One thing you could think about for occasional use is a x0.45 adapter.

I had one for a while and used it on my GF1 and I thought it was ok. They seem to be under £20 on ebay.

I reckon the 12-35 would be fine or you could splash out on the 7-14 but you won't get a filter on it very easily. Alternatively the O9-18 is supposed to be superb, plus you can filter it and it collapses really small when in your pocket.

I would also highly recommend the Samyang 7.5 fisheye - if you keep the horizon somewhere through the middle third of the frame it is pretty straight - it also de-fishes nicely with software too.

Or the 14mm pancake...

Last edited:
Agreed and hence my 'has m43 stagnated' post
Hmm.. Been away for a few days. Don't see any need to upgrade from the G5 to G6. Come on Panny - better sensor in the lower priced cameras. Don't just rehash!

I'm disappointed with the spec of the G6.

I had hoped it'd use the sensor from the GH3 and although the GH2 sensor will be an upgrade when compared to my G1 I'd feel short changed if I bought the G6 especially as Olympus are trickling the latest (possibly Sony?) sensor down into lower models.

Another disappointment for me is the move away from ISO 100.

What I had hoped for was a still photography orientated small form camera with the latest GH3 sensor and ISO 100. I got neither. I'm also disappointed that neither Panasonic nor Olympus seem interested in bringing a small RF form camera with built in VF to market.

Dream land for me would be ISO 50 and 100, the GH3 sensor in a SLR style body AND the same spec in a RF form body with VF AND an articulated screen. I'd buy both and I'd pay a premium price for both. I don't believe I'll see the latter but I may eventually see one with a tilting screen. The former would have been more possible and possibly will be on sale in a year or so but at the moment I can't get over the feeling that Panasonic are lazy and lacking innovation.

I've wanted a new small form body for a while now and whilst I'd hoped it would I've now accepted that MFT and specifically Panasonic is not going to replace my DSLR in the medium term. I would like to upgrade my G1 so it looks like Sony and a Nex 6 or 7 will be the best way forward for me.

Last edited:
Another disapointed at the G6 using the old sensor tech :thumbsdown:
The camera looks good but the old sensor lets it down in comparison too Olympus with there E-PM2 and E-PL5 using a OM-D sensor.

I don't really get what the G6 is bringing to the party, particularly so soon after the excellent G5 (although I guess it will make that a very affordable alternative), which at least offered a number of tangible differences for G3 users, such as the significantly improved handling. NFC is a nice feature (GPS would have been nice too), it's hard to tell in photos but hopefully the over-sensitivity of the rear 4-way controller has been fixed, it looks like a new component.

Saying that, I guess frequent minor updates has advantages, it's just more what I'm used to from TVs rather than cameras.

I'd really like GPS - probably the only thing I miss from the Nikon DSLR days. It does eat batteries though.

Going off topic a bit, but I have it built into my Sony a77 and the difference between off and on is surprisingly minimal on battery life (the draw in power has been measured by people cleverer than me as well). I had assumed before I bought it that I would only use it for holidays etc, but aside from when I'm at home I just leave it on.

My new toy just delivered today is a Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.7. Here it is...

It's still quite compact and light even with the adapter added.

Thursday is my best day for getting out but I'm not well today plus it's raining so all I've managed is a few shots out of the window and around the house.

This is a 100% crop of the house over the field at f8. Seems ok to me although this is via Photobucket and will not look as sharp as on my screen.

This is a whole image at f1.7 to see what the colour and contrast look like, seems nice.

And this is a whoile image attempt to provoke some bokeh to see what it looks like at f1.7, again it seems nice to me.

Bought from Rocky cameras for £18.99 including postage (thanks for the link.) I think I'm going to like using this lens. It seems to have a bit more contrast than my Rokkor 55mm f1.7.

Last edited:
_1140059_zps5ac335d5.jpg

Crikey Alan, your sensor needs cleaning...

No.. hold on... that's English weather ;) :D

I have that exact lens and have taken some nice pics with it here's one I did earlier (last year, with a G3 and in Spain!!)

P1000209-800.jpg

Enjoy the purchase :)

Another disapointed at the G6 using the old sensor tech :thumbsdown:
The camera looks good but the old sensor lets it down in comparison too Olympus with there E-PM2 and E-PL5 using a OM-D sensor.

I was hoping for the newer sensor tech in the G6 as I was hoping to upgrade to it from my G2, I held off buying the G5 specifically to see what the G6 would be like. I don't think the G6 will offer much more over the G5 though so may just go for that instead when it gets a bit cheaper.

Crikey Alan, your sensor needs cleaning...

No.. hold on... that's English weather ;) :D

I have that exact lens and have taken some nice pics with it here's one I did earlier (last year, with a G3 and in Spain!!)

Enjoy the purchase :)

Wow looks stunning!

Back