"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

My Hahnel Combi TF triggers arrived today. Just checked they worked OK. I bought an extra receiver and tried trigerring my Nissin Di466 and my i40 and they worked a treat. They only work with manual flash as the trigger doesn't do TTL but I am sure I will learn how to do it. I though that setting them up might be difficult but it was very easy. Just check all the little switches in transmitter and receiver were set the same ( I believe you can change them to any combination as long as they all match in case someone near you is on the same setting and you would end up setting there flash off ) and then put the transmitter onto the camera and the receivers on the flash. Switch the power on to the right setting on the Combis, and set the flashguns to Manual. Fire away.
You can also use them as a remote shutter trigger. To do this you put the receiver on the camera, plug in the supplied cord, black end to camera remote socket and grey end to receiver (not the other way round as stated in the instructions)! and away you go.
Now I need to learn how to use the flashguns creatively.:thinking:
My first experiments with triggers:
Birthday flower 2 by hillwalkinggirl, on Flickr
Another flash flower by hillwalkinggirl, on Flickr
Birthday flower by hillwalkinggirl, on Flickr

Morning all. Thought I'd check in to the G Series Owner thread. Currently using a G3 which I like a lot and which is still way more capable than I am (and I suspect always will be) but I'm hankering after a GX-7. When I bought the G3 the GX-7 was just out and I so wanted one then...but finances and all that.

I don't think I need to change. I can list several features of the GX-7 that I'd like: 1/8000th shutter speed, electronic silent mode, more functions keys, improved dynamic range, automatically changing from LCD to EVF when the camera is raised to the eye, did I mention more function keys? But I can't help thinking I'm just trying to justify spending the money. Rumours of the GX-7's impending withdrawal just add fuel to the fire.

Anyway, has anyone else made that same leap - G3 to GX-7? I'd be interested to get your impressions.

Cheers
Derek

I have the G3 and GX7 (and G5 and GH3...). The rest of the family now use the G3 as I find it uncomfortable to use (fairly large hands) and ergonomically poor with button placement and what button does what. I use the GX7 almost exclusively with pancake lenses and I carry it with the 20mm around with me on a daily basis. I find the GH3 the best to use as it has dedicated buttons for everything you want as a 'tog and the G5 and GX7 are pretty similar. Both are streets ahead of the G3 for usability. The pictures are pretty much identical if you are on lowish ISOs and well exposed, although the GX7 does have the advantage of IBIS if you are using any prime lenses....

Still loving my GM1 that I bought in the summer but the new GM5 with the built in evf looks very tempting. Having said that, the new Mk3 RX100 is even more pocketable than the GM5 and that pop up evf looks so cool...Oh dear, here we go again :help::runaway:

I see the GM5 is not due to hit the shops until mid November. Still got a few weeks with my rx100m3 then :)
You may be joking now Alan, but I won't be holding my breath!!! Have you tried Fuji yet? I ask, because a few folk I know are swapping over, but although tempting, their lenses are on the hefty side!
I shall be watching to see what you do next!!:rolleyes:

Anyway, has anyone else made that same leap - G3 to GX-7? I'd be interested to get your impressions.

Cheers
Derek

I went from G1 to GX7 but I've kept the G1 and to be honest I prefer it.

The GX7 is a little more compact and it's better at the higher ISO's but the G1 is IMVHO good at low to medium ISO's and I just love turning the rear screen to the body and using the fully articulated screen for occasional shots including for pictures of me and another. These things aren't possible with the GX7 with it's merely tilting and permanently covered in smudges rear screen.

Another thing I prefer about the G1 in good light is its EVF. In genuine low light it's simply appalling and verging on unusable and as the light level drops still further it becomes simply unusable but in good light it's ok. The GX7 EVF is better in low light but there's just something about it that I don't like. To me it never looks... sharp, and I've tried adjusting the thingy.

Anyone else have issues with the GX7 EVF?

I've only experienced the GX7's EVF in the shop : I found it very nice, especially the colours and the resolution (not size) was also good : it is definitely less crisp than the G1 and Olympus Vf-2

Here's one I took this morning on the G3:

15677958291_b7ab2ff6c9_c.jpg

However, I have a confession. I put in a tentative low bid on an X-Pro1 on the 'Bay, and raise my rent and blow me down with a feather, I won the thing. So my GAS for a GX7, whilst still as strong as ever, has had to be squeezed into the background whilst I dip a toe or two in the Fuji camp. At the moment I'm rather hoping I can maintain both systems...

Oh dear, you traitor!!!! :D

A picture of a slice of birthday cake for someone who couldn't be there. Just a bit of fun emailed off 1000 pixels wide but what's impressive is this is ISO 10000 and it's ok as a whole image 4292 x 3064.

Right then people of the Panasonic G world after recently taking my Nikon d7000 and 16-85mm lens on holiday with me I have come to the conclusion it's too bulky to be carrying about, think it'll be worse with the kids in tow too!

So when i got the D7000 i was looking at a G6 at the same time but went with the Nikon, beginning to think the G6 would of been a better idea, have also looked at the GX7, was thinking of getting the 14-140 or 14-45 to use for holiday use and maybe a prime or two as well. Mostly my photography is of the kids on days out or landscapes if i get the time,

I also got started with the M4/3 system after a long haul holiday lugging a Nikon DX around. By the time I had packed a laptop, e-reader, MP3 player and other paraphernalia , there wasn't much hand allowance space or weight for the lenses I really needed. So I now use M4/3 for travel along with a Galaxy Tab and leave the laptop/ MP3 player/e-reader/Nikon at home. Started with an Olympus E-PM1 and then bought a Lumix G5 new and a G3 secondhand. I love the ergonomics of the G series, the only short comings for me are the lack IBIS and the lack of off camera flash support on the earlier models, the current and recent models are better in these respects. I personally don't think there is much difference in the image quality between the G3 and the G5, care is needed to avoid blown highlights on both, I suspect the G6 wouldn't be more than a smidgen better for image quality. I've tried the GX7 and GM series in store, but wasn't convinced the handling would be any better for me than my camera bodies, even though the image quality has moved on some.
So I have ended up with more than one system, but have been able to do so by not buying the latest bodies. The G5 was half the price of the then recently introduced G6, the G3 was £80 with a shutter count of less than 1000. I grab which ever camera is most suitable for the planned activity, M4/3 for walk around and travel, the Nikons for action, low light or off camera flash, although the Nikons are steadily being made redundant as I jumped ship to Canon Full Frame.

I love my little G3. I was lucky enough to start with M43 from the off (I had a Nikon film SLR way back in the day, but it was sold a long time ago) when I decided that I needed a decent digital camera. Paired up with the 20mm lens it makes for a very small unit to carry around - not pocketable, but plenty light enough to carry round the neck and tuck inside a jacket. The 45mm is a lovely portrait lens - not that I've done much of that. Just a couple of sessions so far. I also have the 45-200 zoom and the kit 14-42, neither of which I use much.

Some month after I bought the G3 my father-in-law lent me his Nikon 5100 on a long term loan. It came with a 18-56 (I think) zoom and a 70 - 200 zoom. The Nikon feels lovely and chunky and well built and the IQ is pretty good. But I rarely use it. The G3 and the D5100 sit on a shelf together and I pick up the one that feels best, seems most appropriate for what I'm going to be doing, and the one I'll enjoy using the most (handling wise the G3 is way better than the Nikon, which is very frustrating. Although the G3 itself could do with another customisable function button). Nine times out of ten it's the G3. The G3 with a prime, too.

I am half-heartedly thinking about getting a 35mm prime lens for the Nikon in order to give it a fair trial, but I wonder if it would be simply throwing money away.

All that said, I recently bought a Fuji X-Pro1. Almost by accident. Have been hankering after a Panasonic GX-7 for some time - and put in a few tentative bids on the Bay. On the G3 I do suffer from the blown highlights that Harvey mentioned above and I wonder if things might be improved on the GX-7. But then I also think as its very early days in my career mightn't it be best to explore other systems as well as Panasonic and Nikon - so I put a low tentative bid on the Fuji and won it!

I have to say early indications is that the Fuji is wonderful - handling is a joy. It's so simple - shutter speed dial on the top, aperture dial on the lens, and exposure comp dial tight next to the shutter button. Job done. Images look wonderful, too. The viewfinder - which is really why I dipped my toe in the eBay Fuji world - is superb. I went in and out of camera shops trying the Panasonic GX-7 EVF and I was never fully happy. Most times on those same occasions I'd pick up the Fuji and have a peek through the viewfinder because it was so nice. As I do all my shooting via the viewfinder this is important to me - in fact I rarely use the LCD. On the G3 it has all these wonderful touchscreen facilities like moving the focus point, and touch and take, and menus...and I rarely use them.

Overall I'd highly recommend the G3 or its newer brethren, even though my plan is to get a 35mm lens for the Fuji and then use all three systems for a few months and decide what to do...

Cheers for the replies, most of what has been recommend to use the 4/3's system for is what i tend to do, I don't normally take many action shots or anything in low light really so I think a 4/3 system will be better for me and with the bonus of less weight. I have noticed a G5 and two lens's in the classifieds. Just a shame i don't have the spare cash right now but the added features of wifi on the G6 draws me to it, purely for sharing the files to a phone or tablet to put on social media sites.

You may be joking now Alan, but I won't be holding my breath!!! Have you tried Fuji yet? I ask, because a few folk I know are swapping over, but although tempting, their lenses are on the hefty side!
I shall be watching to see what you do next!!:rolleyes:

Hi Marcia, it was a tongue in cheek comment really. I have had the RX100 for a few weeks now and, whilst it is a great camera, I've not really used it much (no surprise there). What it tells me is that there is absolutely no point in changing camera gear like my underpants anymore or collecting lots of lenses - as it sits in the cupboard unused most of the time :(

When I do get out and about the RX will do all I need and more.

Take care (y)

Hi Marcia, it was a tongue in cheek comment really. I have had the RX100 for a few weeks now and, whilst it is a great camera, I've not really used it much (no surprise there). What it tells me is that there is absolutely no point in changing camera gear like my underpants anymore or collecting lots of lenses - as it sits in the cupboard unused most of the time :(

When I do get out and about the RX will do all I need and more.

Take care (y)
Who are you?? Where's Alan and what have you done with him!!!:confused: Just joking!
It sounds like you've lost you're mojo a little when it comes to photography? I know the feeling when you think that new/different kit will revitalise your interest in going out and taking photographs!
Anyway, now you have on your sensible hat, I hope you soon feel like getting out and about and sharing your images with us, because I for one, think you have a real gift!

Another food shot to be emailed off :D this time to a toast addict who's working abroad and just can't get it like we do here :D

G1, ISO 1250, 25mm, f4, 1/30 sec.

100%

As usual for me these will be less sharp here than they are on my screen as I can't get Photobucket to accurately reflect what I get on my pc. Anyway, the point is that many people write these older cameras off but I think that with care the higher ISO's are perfectly useable :D ISO 1250 is IMVHO reasonably high but there's plenty of detail and no noise to speak of at all.

PS. The toast was delicious :D

Last edited:
ok, I'll give it a go.

My attention span with computers is... brief. I worked "in computers" for years and now I can hardly bare to think about them :D

Next time I post a picture it'll be via flickr!

Just testing flickr...

15726980442_f88bc92e73_b.jpg

Meh, looks about the same to me.

Last edited:
Yes. Copy and paste the BBCode. So click the picture in your photostream. Then on the right hand bottom corner click the arrow and select BBCode. I choose medium 800. Copy and paste it into your reply here. Usually a picture when viewed full size on Flickr will be sharper than the picture here shows.

HTH's.

Urgh!

I have to say that to use I found flickr to be a huge steaming pile of you know what. Account now deleted.

Still, you had that account longer than some people have cameras...

Still, you had that account longer than some people have cameras...

:D

I don't know who you can mean.

I'm sure that Flickr is very good but it all seemed a bit too touchy feely for me and the language and phraseology (hey, dude, lets make a story and have a great experience!) just made me want to punch someone, and of course I just don't care about computer stuff these days.

Last edited:
Did it taste nice? What are you going to keep your camera in now? :D:LOL:

Hi Barbara

Bought a s/h GH-1 earlier this year(for video mainly) to compliment my Nikon DSLR kit and looking at past threads noticed you asked whether using a Nikon flash was okay to use with a Panny camera I believe. Did you ever get to try it out and how did it perform?

Thanks

Peter
(must complete my Avatar)

Hi Peter, yes I did try it out and it does work. The Nikon SB600 though will not work as a slave, so you need to use triggers for it to work. I use the Hahnel Combi ones, and then you must set the flash to manual mode as they do not support ttl. Only thing which I find annoying with it though is it keeps going into standby mode, but still not a big problem.

Back