"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Yet another question i cant find the answer to,all the reviews i have seen talk about saving the best image from 4K photo mode but can you save more than 1 and do you have to do it at the time or can you sort it out when you get home.

As I understand it, you can load the 4k video footage into an editing program and extract whichever frame you wish.

As I understand it, you can load the 4k video footage into an editing program and extract whichever frame you wish.

Thanks

That would make sense its just they only show you selecting and saving at the time of taking,which would be a bit daft.

I think you can actually choose and save an image in camera, which is what they seem to show in their adverts and literature.

Last edited:
You can choose whatever frame you want using Lightroom. Here are a couple of examples from the Panasonic FZ1000, chosen because I wanted the anti-colission beacon lit.

P1020392-6_zpsgan809th.jpg

P1020428-2_zpsdwcqup08.jpg

Suffering information overload at the moment after going through the manuals so a couple of questions,its hard after over 40 years shooting Nikon.

The GX8 with 4 axis in body satabilising plus the 100-400 working in dual mode how many stops would it give,then the same situation with the GX80 but with its 5 axis and the 100-400 dual mode.

Thanks
mike

Suffering information overload at the moment after going through the manuals so a couple of questions,its hard after over 40 years shooting Nikon.

The GX8 with 4 axis in body satabilising plus the 100-400 working in dual mode how many stops would it give,then the same situation with the GX80 but with its 5 axis and the 100-400 dual mode.

Thanks
mike
I would expect about 4 stops with the GX8 and perhaps / hopefully 5 with the GX80 with Dual IS engaged - obviously it is early days with regard to the GX80 which has not yet been thoroughly or widely tested

Last edited:
Trying to reduce the questions.
Will the GX8 run auto ISO in manual

Thanks

Trying to reduce the questions.
Will the GX8 run auto ISO in manual

Thanks

Hi,
Just checked - set to M and it allowed me set ISO to Auto. Tried taking a few shots and it selected different ISOs depending on light level.
Cheers.

Hi,
Just checked - set to M and it allowed me set ISO to Auto. Tried taking a few shots and it selected different ISOs depending on light level.
Cheers.

Many thanks,i downloaded the manual but with out the camera in hand its not easy,

Just thought I'd report back with some thoughts on my new G7 v my old GX7...

I much prefer the G7's evf and it may be the best one I've ever used and may be better than the one on my Sony A7. It's very good and fixes my biggest gripe with the GX7. I also like the auto electronic / mechanical shutter option and although I do worry about electronic shutter effects such as banding under artificial light I haven't seen any yet. I'll just have to remember to switch to mechanical shutter if I think that banding may be an issue. Having auto iso in manual exposure mode is great too but I do wish that Panasonic would allow exposure compensation by altering the iso in manual mode and I'd also like the real time exposure and dof preview in every mode that I have with my A7.

I did initially think that the G7 may offer a little better image quality than my GX7 but after taking a look at side by side shots I don't think there's anything in it but curiously high iso shots look much better when viewed on the G7 but once loaded onto the pc and processed the two cameras are as far as I can see the same high iso wise. I assume that the G7 applies some in camera magic to high iso shots when you view them with the camera? Interesting... but nothing to be too concerned about :D

I got the G7 to use with zooms and it seems to work well with them although I'm not a great lover of the G7's grip as I find it a bit uncomfortable. Other than that and the lack of exposure compensation in manual mode and exposure and dof preview I'm reasonably happy. I'll use the G7 mostly with zooms and I'll continue to use my GX7 with primes when I want a really compact camera and lens package. I'm quite happy with the image quality from these cameras but I'll have to try and remember that although my shots may look better when viewed on the G7 in reality the GX7 is equally capable :D

Last edited:
I got the G7 to use with zooms and it seems to work well with them although I'm not a great lover of the G7's grip as I find it a bit uncomfortable.

Oddly enough, I've found this as well. It doesn't matter if I put on large zooms or tiny pancake lenses, the body sits at a weird angle in my hand and eventually hurts. It's a shame, considering the older G series' cameras were really comfortable.

Yes, I much prefer holding my G1. The G7 grip has a crease which is IMO too severe and makes it uncomfortable for me to hold.

The most comfortable camera I've ever used is the G6. The grip just fitted my hand like a glove :)

Simon.

I recently took my GX8 + 12-35mm F2.8 lens to UAE with me.
I was gobsmacked by the low light abilities of the above combo.

E.g. the following was taken around 45mins before sunset at the Al-Noor mosque in Sharjah - in a bit of a rush. It was quite dark inside but I really wanted to capture the beautiful interior of the domes.

P1000453.JPG

Obviously the picture is a bit off-centre - because I was rushing - was not sure how the locals would take to a guy lying on the floor of the mosque with a camera (Sharjah is meant to be much more conservative than Dubai).

But when I viewed it later I could not believe how light it had come out!

And another of the outside of the mosque about 50mins after the above was taken.
P1000487.JPG
Again - it was getting dark - the call to prayer for the sunset had already gone out.

Having owned a G3 then went to an oly EM1 which I sold to dip my toe in the FF waters, I'm back! I'm using an LX100 and FZ1000 until I can make my mind up on what to buy next. The G7 seems to be a major bargain at present. I note woof woof you like the EVF. That's one weakness of the LX100 after looking through the EM1 EVF. I presume the G7 is as good as the one in the EM1?

I prefer the DSLR style bodies over rangefinder style, especially with bigger lenses. Does the G7 have the same features as the GX80 such as DFD and touch focus?

I don't know anything about DFD or touch screen focus but AFAIK the G7 has both although I assume you'll need compatible lenses for the DFD? I've not used the EM1 but unless you are hyper critical I think you'll be happy with the G7's evf... I am hyper critical but even so I'm happy with it and as I said above it's possibly the best I've seen.

I quite like my GX7 but not its evf and I'd recommend that anyone thinking about buying that camera should try one out first and not just buy without trying as I did (there aren't and shops near me that stock the GX7) but I have no such concerns about the G7, except for the grip which I hate every time I pick the camera up now... There's always something isn't there?

Thanks Alan. I have owned a GX7 but once I saw the EM1 EVF I was sold. However the FF Demons came calling and I sold all my mat kit, but the grass was not greener. Therefore a return is considered.

Good GX7 and G7 deals do seem to crop up now and again but I haven't been watching Olympus offers so I don't know if they're equally attractive.

One think I really do like is the ability to shoot at higher than 1/4000 shutter speeds for wide aperture shooting in good light and thankfully the GX7's mechanical shutter goes to 1/8000 and the G7's electronic shutter goes beyond that. I leave my G7 set to auto shutter so it switches between mechanical and electronic as if sees fit and it seems to work well.

On the FF side have you considered the Sony A7? I have one and there are a few really good features... the IQ :D and I really love the real time exposure and DoF preview in all modes and being able to have auto ISO and exposure compensation in all modes. I tend to use my cameras in Aperture priority until the light drops to a point at which the shutter speed is too low and what I then do with my Sony is switch to Manual and dial in a suitable shutter speed and aperture and let the ISO float automatically but sadly that isn't possible with the GX7 and the G7 doesn't allow exposure compensation in manual exposure mode so instead I have to switch to Shutter priority but the camera will then probably select the widest aperture... which is not the way I'd like to do it. The Sony system is so much better for indoor and lower light use and I do wish that Panasonic would introduce these features as compared to the Sony systems the Panasonic seems like something if not quite from the stone age then certainly a generation or two behind.

I did consider the Sony FF. But the lenses are so expensive compared to mft.

Well there is that :D and if you're into zooms then there's a size penalty too. I think that the A7 makes the most sense with compact primes like the 28, 35, 55 and new 50mm. I have the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 and with those it's hardly bigger than my G7.

On mft my main lenses were the 12-40 2.8 and for family portraits the 45 mm 1.8 oly.

Yes, I much prefer holding my G1. The G7 grip has a crease which is IMO too severe and makes it uncomfortable for me to hold.
I had in my hands a Panasonic G6 for the first time in a long while and I used to own this camera. Personally, I think they had nailed the grip on that camera and then changed it on the G7, which was unfortunate. I also used to own a GX7 too which was very comfortable too. That's something they should have kept the same for the new GX80, along with the tilting viewfinder. I'd still like to get my hands on one though and consider it as a micro four thirds alternative. For some reason, I went to Fuji, but I'm contemplating swapping back to a micro four thirds system, or maybe having both... I'm very indecisive

Yet another question i cant find the answer to,all the reviews i have seen talk about saving the best image from 4K photo mode but can you save more than 1 and do you have to do it at the time or can you sort it out when you get home.
You can select multiple images from the video footage. And you can do it in camera too. You don't need software on the computer to do it. i think that is now the same case for the FZ1000 too via a firmware update

Just a shot of my cat from my GX7 (with the 14-42mm kit lens), but I was happy with how this came out. He was backlit from the doorway and I needed to use the pop-up flash to light his face. I've processed it in Lightroom, but it's still got a nice natural feel to it I think and doesn't really look like a flash (let alone a pop-up) was used.

28-366 2016 - Lazing
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Just thought i would pop back and say thanks for your help,the decision has been made and order placed with my local dealer,now playing the waiting game,sticking with my local shop as have bought there for over 40 years and its a trade in job,ordered the GX8 and 100-400,when i get them i will start looking for one more lens but want to limit myself to three.

Another impressive exposure by the GX8 - our elusive cat on a roof. Mixture of shade / shadow and sun overhead with a black cat. It was a struggle to get a auto-focus lock at one point - but when it did I assumed it would be badly exposed. How wrong was I!
Only minor tweaking in Lightroom.
P1010172.jpg

You can choose whatever frame you want using Lightroom.
The question was about 4k photo mode and not 4k video mode. Sure you can extract any frame from video. And it may be a good method to use. But I'm still curious to know about how the "4k photo" mode works.
Just thought i would pop back and say thanks for your help,the decision has been made and order placed with my local dealer,now playing the waiting game,sticking with my local shop as have bought there for over 40 years and its a trade in job,ordered the GX8 and 100-400,when i get them i will start looking for one more lens but want to limit myself to three.
When it arrives, let us know the answer about the 4k photo mode.

Last edited:
The question was about 4k photo mode and not 4k video mode. Sure you can extract any frame from video. And it may be a good method to use. But I'm still curious to know about how the "4k photo" mode works.

When it arrives, let us know the answer about the 4k photo mode.

I will,probably mixed in with more questions,i have a feeling it will be the end of the month though.

Taken with my G6 + standard kit lens...our first rose to show itself this year...straight out the camera with no post processing too!
image.jpeg

Hmmmm. How odd...

I bought a G7 recently and it came with a 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 G Vario Mega O.I.S.

I gave it a try out and it looked ok but I didn't look too closely... Fast forward a bit and I took my GF and my mam for a day out at Butterfly World and I took my GX7 with the tiny little 14-42mm attached. I usually shoot in aperture priority but as I was shooting inside and the camera would have selected the widest aperture and something like 1/30 second I instead selected shutter priority and dialled in 1/200. The camera still selected the widest possible aperture and the ISO's were middling so I expected decent results but when I looked at them on my pc they looked ok-ish as whole images but once zoomed in it was clear that every single one was soft. I put this down to the lens being a piece of junk but a couple of days ago I stuck it on my G1 and used the pop up flash at a family event and even though the camera shot every shot wide open every single picture is sharp at 100%.

So, how can this be?

I'll have to do some more investigation but at the moment I'm surprised that wide open, 1/200 second and middling ISO's gave utter rubbish on my GX7 but when used with flash on my G1 the results are very good indeed, impressive even for such a small and cheap lens when used wide open.

Any pointers or thoughts before I spend hours testing to find out what's going on?

Last edited:
Back