"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Did a video and the wind noise!

Anyone tried one of these:
http://www.willhutchinson.co.uk/micromuff/micromuff-skinny.html

Are they any good?

Thanks

No idea, but worth a shot, it won't worsen the sound at least. A directional mic might be a better option for long term though. Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00V5SNPUI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AVTBOR8MMJ5NS&psc=1

You're looking at another £10 then for a 'dead cat' for it, but if you plan to do a lot of video it's a good investment. That mic gets good reviews for the money

Unfortunately I have the GH3 Panasonic that doesn't have a mic in. I made the mistake of seeing with the GH3 did have a mic in and presumed the GH3 would be the same and clearly doesn't so unfortunately the only type of wind mic muff that I can have is the stick on type. I think I'll buy it and give it a go and see how it goes

Unfortunately I have the GH3 Panasonic that doesn't have a mic in. I made the mistake of seeing with the GH3 did have a mic in and presumed the GH3 would be the same and clearly doesn't so unfortunately the only type of wind mic muff that I can have is the stick on type. I think I'll buy it and give it a go and see how it goes

I thought the GH3 did have a mic input?

It makes for a great street camera.
Then you'd love the GM5! I have 2 and they're Ideal for "not being a proper photographer". Just make sure one's in your pocket or bag as 2 might make the jobsworths a bit suspicious :thinking:

FujiFilm SL300 8GB05 DSCF3760.JPG

Anyone here used the PL 12-60 f2.8 ? Just trying to decide if its worth the extra money over the kit 12-60....

I know it costs a lot more but it would be on my G80 90% of the time...

Anyone here used the PL 12-60 f2.8 ? Just trying to decide if its worth the extra money over the kit 12-60....

Not used it, but I'm eyeing both that and the 12-40 2.8 Oly, I think the Olympus would be a little better, I have a 60mm 2.8, and I don't think I'd miss out on anything between 40 - 60mm, rather have the constant aperture

Not used it, but I'm eyeing both that and the 12-40 2.8 Oly, I think the Olympus would be a little better, I have a 60mm 2.8, and I don't think I'd miss out on anything between 40 - 60mm, rather have the constant aperture

I had a 12-40 a few years back - very nice lens but it did feel big and heavy on a m43 body - no dual IS either ?

I had the 12-60 f3.5-5.6 with the GX8 and was very impressed with it - as I was new to the M4/3 system I assumed that the f2.8/4 would show a reasonable improvement, so bought one - it was a little sharper and obviously faster, but for my purposes not really worth the extra money. As a result I sold that and bought the Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro - now that is an improvement, but I’m missing that extra reach!
I’m now going to sell the 12-40mm and get the 12-100mm Pro. (Terrible GAS!)

I had the 12-60 f3.5-5.6 with the GX8 and was very impressed with it - as I was new to the M4/3 system I assumed that the f2.8/4 would show a reasonable improvement, so bought one - it was a little sharper and obviously faster, but for my purposes not really worth the extra money. As a result I sold that and bought the Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro - now that is an improvement, but I’m missing that extra reach!
I’m now going to sell the 12-40mm and get the 12-100mm Pro. (Terrible GAS!)

So you didn’t miss the Dual IS with the Oly ?

I had a 12-40 a few years back - very nice lens but it did feel big and heavy on a m43 body - no dual IS either ?

I kinda like chunky lenses, not overly massive, but with a bit of heft to them. I find them easier to steady than tiny primes, much as I love primes also. The PL 12-60 is about the same size and weight either way.

Dual IS doesn't bother me, I've not had it to date, so I can't miss it. I'm using the G80 and the IBIS in that is plenty enough for any lens.

I have it, and it is a fabulous lens. I've never used the kit lens so can't comment on its performance relative to that. I did have the Oly 12-40 f2.8, but sold that for the PL12-60 to take full advantage of DFD and dual IS on my G9. Performance wise, there isn't really anything between the Oly and PL in my experience.

Simon.

I have it, and it is a fabulous lens. I've never used the kit lens so can't comment on its performance relative to that. I did have the Oly 12-40 f2.8, but sold that for the PL12-60 to take full advantage of DFD and dual IS on my G9. Performance wise, there isn't really anything between the Oly and PL in my experience.

Simon.

Up to what focal length does it remain 2.8?

I've no idea, but not much after 12mm from memory.

Just found this on another site:

12-60 f2.8-4 aperture vs. focal length.

2.8 - 12mm up to...
2.9 - 13mm
3.0 - 15mm
3.1 - 16mm
3.2 - 18mm
3.3 - 20mm
3.4 - 23mm (tested twice)
3.5 - 24mm (tested twice)
3.6 - 27mm
3.7 - 29mm
3.8 - 32mm
3.9 - 36mm
4.0 - 52mm
Pity it didn't remain 2.8 up till 15mm or so, but at least it doesn't hit F4 right after. Just pondering, I do shoot a bit indoors, and prefer ambient light to flash mostly

Just found this on another site:

12-60 f2.8-4 aperture vs. focal length.

2.8 - 12mm up to...
2.9 - 13mm
3.0 - 15mm
3.1 - 16mm
3.2 - 18mm
3.3 - 20mm
3.4 - 23mm (tested twice)
3.5 - 24mm (tested twice)
3.6 - 27mm
3.7 - 29mm
3.8 - 32mm
3.9 - 36mm
4.0 - 52mm
Pity it didn't remain 2.8 up till 15mm or so, but at least it doesn't hit F4 right after. Just pondering, I do shoot a bit indoors, and prefer ambient light to flash mostly

Indoor without flash I'd be reaching for something faster than f2.8 :)

Indoor without flash I'd be reaching for something faster than f2.8 :)

It's very possible during the day to make good use of window lighting. But I have 2 flash units for night, and do have the 25 1.7 also. That was in the plans to move to help fund a 12-40, but will see how things go, have a bits up for sale local

Just got back in from a morning out at the local airfield who have been hosting the red arrows ,watch this space

Just been reminded of one of the joys of M43 ownership - picked up a mint 14mm f2.5 and a Sigma 19mm f2.8 for £140.

What a lovely pair of small sharp lenses ! Just wondering how much use my kit 12-60 will get now ?

They look slightly akward on the G80 though - need Panasonic to release a rangefinder like the GX-9 with the 20 MP sensor but with a proper EVF and weather proofing.....

Last edited:
Anyone got any tips for fill in flash settings using the built in flash on my G80?
Trying to balance it a bit better.
It either seems to have no effect, or the background/image is over exposed.
I've tried the flash output setting in the menu but no real joy.
I've tried both av and tv.
Anyone had any joy with fill flash?
I've used fill flash before when I had my D7000 and a separate flash gun and had good results, but that was a while ago.

Not equipment related but which magazines, if any, do you guys buy monthly - obviously with a bias towards MFT. (Assuming there are some)

Cheers

Chris

I used to get Amateur Photographer but haven't had any photography mags for many years now.

@the black fox - fantastic aircraft shots. Love the 2 old prop planes (Spitfires or Hurricanes never can tell the difference?)

Chris

The top one in the shot is a Hurricane and the lower one in the shot is a Spitfire. The easiest way to tell from this angle of shot is by the shape of the wings, the Spitfire wings have more of an oval shape if that makes sense. From the side angle you can tell by the shape of the cockpit.(y)

George.

Back