"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

As it's Christmas - a Christmas Robin :D

Panasonic G9 - LEICA DG 100-400/F4.0-6.3, 1/250 F5.8 318mm ISO 3200

Saw this rather fine specimen on my walk this morning over a very flooded RSPB reserve

P1030931 1.jpg

Urban high rises meet the countryside at sunset (16:11.) GX80 and 100-400mm, handheld at ISO 10,000.

DpNCD20.jpg

Last edited:
Is anyone using a Godox TT685 or TT350 as an on camera flash with Panasonic bodies?

I've got a Nissin i40 but I'm thinking of moving to the Godox system, any thoughts?

I used a 350 with my G80.
It's fairly compact, not too heavy and fits with the size of the camera.
It's not as powerful as the 685, but was enough for me.

I used a 350 with my G80.
It's fairly compact, not too heavy and fits with the size of the camera.
It's not as powerful as the 685, but was enough for me.

Were you pleased with the TTL results and recharge rate?

Were you pleased with the TTL results and recharge rate?
Yes.
Used eneloops.
Although I've changed to Sony, I've kept my 350 to use with a transmitter.
Can no longer use it on camera though, so I may sell it and get the Sony one.
To be honest, I've hardly used it, but its handy to have for the odd occasion where it may be required, and it doesn't take up much space in my bag.

Reactions: CSB
Keeping the thread alive....

Not a great shot by any means (more a record shot), as this was shot in thick fog yesterday with the G9 and Olympus 300mm F4 Pro through dirty double glazing and is a huge crop from 20mp down to 4mp, but this is the very first time we've ever had a blackcap visit the garden. Couldn't do much about the background as the conifers are only a couple of feet behind the branch he's on.

Last edited:
Backlit bus shelter (GX7 / 12-32mm)

Shelter backlit by sun The Triangle Sidmouth GX7 P1140386.JPG

Hi

Any Matti Sulanto fans out there?

Matti Sulanto, Panasonic Lumix Ambassador, all round nice guy. And doesn't just talk Lumix but also general tips & tricks. Of course we've heard it all before but I like his youtube videos.

sulantoblog
sulanto.fi

I didn't take any award winning pictures today (or ever!) but I just wanted to say again how impressed I sometimes am :D I took some indoor pictures tonight at a little gathering at our place with my GX80 and 14-42mm kit zoom. The lens was wide open all the time and as we were indoors in low light the ISO's varied from 3,200 to 16,000 at 1/100 because that's what the camera selected in aperture mode. If I'd thought about it for some pictures I could have selected manual mode and dialed the shutter speed down a bit but I didn't bother as 1/100 is maybe borderline too slow for people anyway.

I wont post people pictures as I didn't ask them if I could :D I'll just post a couple of before and after pictures. I'd just mounted the lens on the camera and took this picture to make sure everything was working. A cheap Chinese watch at 42mm, f5.6, 1/100 and ISO 8,000. It may look a bit soft but it isn't really as this was at minimum focus distance so even at f5.6 with MFT the DoF doesn't catch everything.

igY8aq7.jpg

Everyone's gone and we're just having a cup of tea before tidying up. 42mm, f5.6, 1/100 and ISO 12,800.

UU1YYKq.jpg

Just sometimes I look at the kit and the results it's capable of compared to what I had not that long ago and think WoW! Every picture I took this evening is in focus and useable despite the artificial lighting and the high ISO's. And this is MFT with a cheap f3.5-5.6 kit lens not a FF camera and a f1.4 prime. Amazing :D

I didn't take any award winning pictures today (or ever!) but I just wanted to say again how impressed I sometimes am :D I took some indoor pictures tonight at a little gathering at our place with my GX80 and 14-42mm kit zoom. The lens was wide open all the time and as we were indoors in low light the ISO's varied from 3,200 to 16,000 at 1/100 because that's what the camera selected in aperture mode. If I'd thought about it for some pictures I could have selected manual mode and dialed the shutter speed down a bit but I didn't bother as 1/100 is maybe borderline too slow for people anyway.

I wont post people pictures as I didn't ask them if I could :D I'll just post a couple of before and after pictures. I'd just mounted the lens on the camera and took this picture to make sure everything was working. A cheap Chinese watch at 42mm, f5.6, 1/100 and ISO 8,000. It may look a bit soft but it isn't really as this was at minimum focus distance so even at f5.6 with MFT the DoF doesn't catch everything.

igY8aq7.jpg

Everyone's gone and we're just having a cup of tea before tidying up. 42mm, f5.6, 1/100 and ISO 12,800.

UU1YYKq.jpg

Just sometimes I look at the kit and the results it's capable of compared to what I had not that long ago and think WoW! Every picture I took this evening is in focus and useable despite the artificial lighting and the high ISO's. And this is MFT with a cheap f3.5-5.6 kit lens not a FF camera and a f1.4 prime. Amazing :D

Both excellent for such high ISO. I really must increase my ISO Limit setting on my GX80 to get a faster shutter speed for these kind on low light shots, although with the excellent IBIS and a little concentration, I can get a sharp shot of a stationary subject at 1/10 sec handheld.

Yes, something in the double digit shutter speeds could very probably get a good result for a static still life subject and there's definitely a place and a need for that.

These day I mostly use MFT for family gatherings and special occasions as it's small, unobtrusive and much faster than my Sony A7. On those sort of occasions I think slow shutter speeds are mostly only useful for taking posed people pictures and whilst there's always a need for those I like to get some more natural moment pictures if only for the reason that people get bored if I want multiple different versions of more or less the same posed picture with different people in it so really for those moment pictures I need to mostly be into three digit shutter speeds otherwise I'm going to need to be asking people to pose and of course if doing that there's always the option of shooting at 1/40 with flash as the GXx's flash, nicely, can be pointed up to bounce.

Been having a play with my new'ish Panasonic 12mm, quite impressed so far
Good enough wide open, excellent by the time its gets to f/1.8 and probably at its best around the f/2.8 mark

Church opposite my house as the sun went down this afternoon

P1000507 1.jpg

Last edited:
Spent a few hours looking for remnants of an old light railway that went from St Ives to Huntingdon
It closed in 1959, so a lot of it will be well overgrown by now or just virtually disappeared
First of a few photos, this is the remains of an old wooden trestle bridge near Houghton before it crossed the Gt Ouse

P1014666 1.jpg

This is the river the trestle bridge crossed, can still see the overgrown embankment on the other side.

P1014656 1.jpg

A different section of the embankment

P1014647 1.jpg

Last edited:
Have you got any conclusions about the different focus improvements

Sorry for the delayed reply, Mike, but I've just got back from South Africa.
I don't know what to think, really. I certainly think it's an improvement over the original set up.
The animal detect works very well in straightforward situations, but I don't tend to use it for BIF because I seem to get better results without it. That could just be down to my shortcomings in technique, as I'm still a novice compared to you.

Sorry for the delayed reply, Mike, but I've just got back from South Africa.
I don't know what to think, really. I certainly think it's an improvement over the original set up.
The animal detect works very well in straightforward situations, but I don't tend to use it for BIF because I seem to get better results without it. That could just be down to my shortcomings in technique, as I'm still a novice compared to you.

Thanks, been a bit unwell so not tried it yet but the one i am going to look into is the closest subject mode

Hi all? I have a G80. With lock down and only the garden to go at I want to try a bit of Macro. Flowers, insects, whatever. I only have the std kit lens at present. ( I also have a TZ 90 which does macro but would prefer to use the G80)
What lens would you suggest?

Hi all? I have a G80. With lock down and only the garden to go at I want to try a bit of Macro. Flowers, insects, whatever. I only have the std kit lens at present. ( I also have a TZ 90 which does macro but would prefer to use the G80)
What lens would you suggest?
Could try a raynox 150/250.
Or extension tubes with current lens.
If you want a macro lens the Olympus 60mm gets the best reviews.
Extension tubes are a cheap way to get good magnification.

Last edited:
As macro is usually manual focus maybe film era manual lenses are worth a look? I have a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 in Minolta mount which goes to 1:1, I think it cost £60. Maybe a 100mm macro could be worth looking at.

I'm not a great fan of tubes but I do have some close up filters.

I haven't had too much time to use my 100-400mm but I had a quick play shooting birds in the garden handheld and I got a slight double image almost like in the days of shutter shock but in the more out of focus areas in some shots. This went away with the electronic shutter. I don't think this is a genuine case of shutter shock and more a case of the very slight movement in combination with maybe slightly nervous background bokeh being enough to spoil the shot. Taking more care and with different backgrounds I was surprised and pleased at how slow the shutter speed could be (1/1xx or so at 400mm and way too slow for anything moving) and still result in a sharp enough shot even with the mechanical shutter.

I didn't buy this just for bird shots as I have a few landscape ideas and would like to shoot butterflies and the like on walks plus I've always wanted the moon to fill more of the frame :D

Just a quick snap of the hill with the moon which looks a bit bigger than usual.

GX80 and 45-150mm at 69mm.

cufJcdd.jpg

Amazingly at 100% you can see there's some people up on the hill... between the flag and the monument we call The Nab.

IM5fpJS.jpg

Last edited:
Back