"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

As it's been a bit quiet in here.....
I went to Salisbury last week and after going to the market I had a waddle round with my GX9 and 12-60mm. I think these two are my favourites of the session. These are OOC JPEGs with very little adjustment.

P1000361.JPG
P1000378.JPG

GX80 and 45-150mm.

Standing alone.

fYPqFkF.jpg

All the cliffs.

hOACGPw.jpg

Last edited:
They're really far out there, it's just the perspective that makes it all look a bit intimidating. I'm sure the little girl wasn't frightened :D

I really find those windmills kind of dauntingly awesome. Nice pic.
I really like windmills both ancient and modern. This is the preserved one in West Swindon.

Full disclosure time: this was taken with an old Sony DSC-S40 but hey! it wanted to be a TZ4 when it grew up. :coat:

Windmill Hill Swindon.jpg

I really like windmills both ancient and modern. This is the preserved one in West Swindon.

Full disclosure time: this was taken with an old Sony DSC-S40 but hey! it wanted to be a TZ4 when it grew up. :coat:

View attachment 318316
Ah I used to love those old Sony cameras, I had one similar and still have hundreds of it's pics knocking about. This pic shows how good they could be.

Getting back into bird photography.
Any thoughts on this lens on my G80?
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm f/4-5.6 Mega OIS

I cant comment on the Panasonic, but I have the Olympus 75 - 300 f 4.8 - 6.7 which I use with a G90 or a GX9.
The stabilisation and the reach are both very impressive.

At times I got frustrated with the 100-400 not able to focus on small birds. Apparently, it's nothing to do with lens but with Panasonic focus methods. If the bird is small and the rest of the picture is 90% of out of focus stuff. The camera won't focus on the bird but on whatever is out of focus. Even if focus point is spot on on the target. You need to manually get it close, then the camera can focus properly. 100-400 was very sharp and stabilisation at 400mm was impressive too.

The 100-300 is suppose to be good for the price, but if money and weight is not an option the 100-400 is even better.

At times I got frustrated with the 100-400 not able to focus on small birds. Apparently, it's nothing to do with lens but with Panasonic focus methods. If the bird is small and the rest of the picture is 90% of out of focus stuff. The camera won't focus on the bird but on whatever is out of focus. Even if focus point is spot on on the target. You need to manually get it close, then the camera can focus properly. 100-400 was very sharp and stabilisation at 400mm was impressive too.

The 100-300 is suppose to be good for the price, but if money and weight is not an option the 100-400 is even better.

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never seen that with GX80 and 100-400mm.

The 70-300 is decent enough for the money, I had the mkii which is supposed to be better and it gains weather sealing.
Depends how serious you want to take the bird photography and how much you want to spend?

I had the Panasonic 100-300 mkII for a while, it's a great lens for the money, I was always happy with the results.

Things you can do with a Panasonic 100-400: record very small snails on the garden wall...

Small snail on garden wall G9 P1013343.JPG

The 70-300 is decent enough for the money, I had the mkii which is supposed to be better and it gains weather sealing.
Depends how serious you want to take the bird photography and how much you want to spend?
Only leisure hobby. 500 max.

I picked up my Olympus 75-300 from CEX.
They were substantially cheaper than elsewhere, I only got it because I had credit there from a phone sale.
I just checked for stock every now and then and one popped up. CEX do a pretty generous returns policy and you get a 2yr warranty.
Mine was a mark II

I didn't expect to get much use as I'm not a wildlife shooter but it's fun to have 600mm equ reach, if hard to hold steady even on a stabilised E-M10ii

MPB have what looks like a mark I for £190

You can hunt used stock with this site (run by a poster here).

I picked up my Olympus 75-300 from CEX.
They were substantially cheaper than elsewhere, I only got it because I had credit there from a phone sale.
I just checked for stock every now and then and one popped up. CEX do a pretty generous returns policy and you get a 2yr warranty.
Mine was a mark II

I didn't expect to get much use as I'm not a wildlife shooter but it's fun to have 600mm equ reach, if hard to hold steady even on a stabilised E-M10ii

MPB have what looks like a mark I for £190

You can hunt used stock with this site (run by a poster here).

Thanks for this. Are the mk 1s, pano and oly , optically the same as mk 2?

Thanks for this. Are the mk 1s, pano and oly , optically the same as mk 2?

The Panasonic mkI and mkII are optically the same, the MKII gains weather sealing, dual IS II compatability and faster auto focus. Not sure about the Olympus.

This looks like a beast of a lens, Panasonic 25-50mm f/1.7
Would go very nicely on a G9 although I suspect not mine when I see the cost.
Just need that and the 10-25 f/1.7 then good to go apart from lugging them around all day.

25-50.jpeg

It's just the size of those f1. 7 zooms that puts me off. And the cost of course.

Getting back into bird photography.
Any thoughts on this lens on my G80?
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm f/4-5.6 Mega OIS
I've had a 100-300 MkII for a couple of years, not used it much, I'm not really a birder. But it's nice glass, used for bigger targets at around 150-250. Here's my first shot taken from inside Jessops shop, Oxford St.

ACtC-3c32kx_WzJGqQT9RrFlQF0d3BeGvuLUCX6Ze2X8_-FD-6uLBAg7Xq8YR5EcQ8jFPY7o25D_tqvotNw04WsWXqihbx4xUg5-0DpcvN2L7jf0n3YfM8UyeqyqSnPLkQHyn0zYaSp1Qugkm4ZAnPa1jFJTgQ=w743-h592-no

And a couple more with a smaller aperture. Note the pleasing compression, there are massive gaps between those chimneys and gravestones.

ACtC-3cjtbc9QXFuhntKxZ2ktMxUVgWoSR7Z2Q1dYxyLffCi3qfDKwhyik6s2uTdMFR6-XS8MYrWxried8Ya6xl51oipUr1MmJxhp_hLgXDITAPpvisES8WqNO-cXybqKHKzOsS3zTYzmL3q8IHF0tdv21vwfg=w710-h590-no

ACtC-3cgMNRUeDD3GneMJrceyoRqyNgVAGpQufF1uZKBhNMr1APFJRgl77Ov8KfHvmbeUWo6oT6CumeWzlUIWk8NKJaJSl9nQwUR9oXn2UizwWsFUNgKC4Um23jnay-mx7_3g3yZ6lNYb_LoqcaPgUbJxmaYSg=w998-h590-no

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never seen that with GX80 and 100-400mm.
My GX80 is fast & accurate too.

This looks like a beast of a lens, Panasonic 25-50mm f/1.7
Would go very nicely on a G9 although I suspect not mine when I see the cost.
Just need that and the 10-25 f/1.7 then good to go apart from lugging them around all day.

View attachment 319547
Very nice, I'm sure .... for the pro videoer with a healthy budget.

Very nice, I'm sure .... for the pro videoer with a healthy budget.

Its not really for me, but the 10-25 would be a very welcome addition to my lens collection.

I've got a bit of thing about the

Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 50-200mm f/2.8-4.0 ASPH

in my dreams. :D

I've got a bit of thing about the

Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 50-200mm f/2.8-4.0 ASPH

in my dreams. :D

That is an interesting lens, but I don't really use the longer focal lengths.
Sticking with my PL 8-18 and Oly 12-100, pretty much covers everything I need

I have the 100-300mm MK2 and use it with an older G5, it was purchased for a holiday that never came to fruition, though I have tried captured birds at the feeder. The bird is around 15m away in this image at nearly max zoom (286mm), the stabilisation is very good when enabled although it does seem to drain batteries fast when used.

BF345433-1182-47BB-BDDD-3AF0F994E98B.jpeg

That is an interesting lens, but I don't really use the longer focal lengths.
Sticking with my PL 8-18 and Oly 12-100, pretty much covers everything I need
When I first went M43 and bought a GX80, I also got a Lumix 45-200mm f/4.0-5.6

I wasn't entirely happy with it so returned it, swapped it for the smaller cheaper 45-150mm f/4.0-5.6 ... now that's a fab little lens, my favourite and most used. I think you were one of the guys on here who suggest that. :D

Thanks for all the input folks.
I've sent the wife a birthday request link to an as new pano 100-300 mk2.
I will report back in a couple of weeks. ( If I stay in her good books long enough for her to order it)

Sold one of my Panasonic cameras recently and just found a spare battery and charger that fitted it
Its a BLC-12 type which fits lots of the popular cameras, its in the classifieds for postage money and a pint for me.

Last edited:
I don't usually do this and come on here to talk about what I put in the classify. But this one is a bit of a weird one. I put in the classify a Canon 52mm close-up filter 250D. I was recommended it on this thread and it's a great bit of kit.

I used it mainly on my Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 makes a portrait lens became macro lens. I really liked this bit of kit. It fit in the bag nice when on holidays.

Last edited:
Just picked up Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150 mm F4-5.6 Lens.
Second lens for my GX9 camera. I’m not even sure what I want to use it for but it’s so reasonably priced I figured why not? Probably will walk a trail with my son tomorrow and see what’s worth shooting.

So, update on the pano 100-300 mk2.
Castle cameras sold the £379 as new before my wife could hit it.
MPB have a couple of excellent used ones but they want £439. I can get new for less than 50 more.
They are having a laugh!

So, update on the pano 100-300 mk2.
Castle cameras sold the £379 as new before my wife could hit it.
MPB have a couple of excellent used ones but they want £439. I can get new for less than 50 more.
They are having a laugh!

If you don't mind buying an imported lens, they are available here for the same price.

Just picked up Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150 mm F4-5.6 Lens.
Second lens for my GX9 camera. I’m not even sure what I want to use it for but it’s so reasonably priced I figured why not? Probably will walk a trail with my son tomorrow and see what’s worth shooting.

Why not indeed :D

I have a Panasonic 45-150mm. I usually keep that or my 100-400mm on my GX80 and a 17mm f1.8 on my GX9.

I took my GX80 plus 45-150mm out today.

bZ9Li1W.jpg

IKxHUOl.jpg

faRk1wm.jpg

I think these lenses (40/45-150mm) make nice longer lenses for general use, people, landscape, wildlife. I hope you find a use for and enjoy yours :D

PS.
I like these pictures but I thought I'd crop the swan one a bit.

ULO85tE.jpg

Last edited:
Back