"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

One of my fav holiday snaps I thought I’d share.

Attachments

• 28FF4126-1781-4744-8116-8CD40745E3BD.jpeg
    28FF4126-1781-4744-8116-8CD40745E3BD.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 25
That's a lovely picture Pin, you've certainly captured a moment. Well done :D

I know a lot of people don't care but I always like to see what kit people are using and even the settings too. Something like GX80 and 14mm f2.5 at f4... something like that :D

Reactions: Pin
That's a lovely picture Pin, you've certainly captured a moment. Well done :D

I know a lot of people don't care but I always like to see what kit people are using and even the settings too. Something like GX80 and 14mm f2.5 at f4... something like that :D
Ooh yeh you can’t see the data in the jpg.
9D00D5A4-F490-47B7-BB4A-D321D65546C3.jpeg

Another from my now dead GX9

I took this a while ago with my GX80 and 14mm f2.5 at f4. The light wasn't great, I've tried to recover something worth keeping by trying to rescue the highlights and boost the shadows.

YaIl9Qw.jpg

100% crop.

a3A8QYV.jpg

I took this a while ago with my GX80 and 14mm f2.5 at f4. The light wasn't great, I've tried to recover something worth keeping by trying to rescue the highlights and boost the shadows.

YaIl9Qw.jpg

100% crop.

a3A8QYV.jpg
Nice image. I really like the 100% crop actually.

Nice image. I really like the 100% crop actually.

Yes. I think the crop works better than the whole picture. I'm just playing now with crops of different aspect ratios to see what looks the best.

This is the beautiful garden at the Oncology unit of my local hospital.
Created and tended by volunteers, a lovely area in an otherwise not so cheery place.

P1015994 1.1.jpg

I find the GM5 to be the ideal carry everywhere compromise. I have two in a small bag along with a couple of other small cameras and the whole lot weighs 1.8 Kg - light enough to carry all day.

I captured this record shot with the 35-100mm at our (very) local airport...

Hanging large Air Ambulance poster at Exeter Airport GM5 _1050794.jpg

This is the beautiful garden at the Oncology unit of my local hospital.
Created and tended by volunteers, a lovely area in an otherwise not so cheery place.

View attachment 361724
I actually found the cancer centre I attended, Jimmies in Leeds, to be an oasis of calm.

Spend millions on a flood defence scheme and what happens? The heavens don't open, even just a bit!

Both pictures made with a GM5 from a similar position. The first a few years ago in winter and the second just the other evening ...

Flooding at Clyst St Mary Bridge P1220499.jpg
Flood defences at Clyst Leat GM5 _1050813.jpg

Last edited:
From dhal to dhal at f22

I needed to set something rough up to show my 11 year old the effects of aperture on photos, he was using his Canon with a 55-250, it worked well so I thought following from quite a few discussions on the topic using the Panasonic 100-300 lens, I would take some with that.
Results are quite interesting, did help me to see exactly how this lens is.

Focus point was the Del Monte logo on the bottom pineapple tin.

Distance between the front of each tin is 7", and distance from camera to focus point 26'

f5.6
View attachment 360084

f8
View attachment 360085

f13
View attachment 360086

f22
View attachment 360087
You would never imagine the photographer was 26' away from the subject.
That's a really good easy way of seeing the aperture at work, and also what a good lens the 100-300 (well being honest I have very little to compare it to, but I like it)

Anyone here use either of the 12-60 lenses ? Thinking of adding one to go alongside my 8-18 which I rather like !

Its for use on my EM1 mk iii but think I’m still allowed on this thread ?

Anyone here use either of the 12-60 lenses ? Thinking of adding one to go alongside my 8-18 which I rather like !

I use the Pana Leica version. Excellent lens, which I too use alongside the 8-18 as a perfect duo on the G9.

Hi and welcome.

I've got the 12-60 kit lens and I'm very pleased with it.

Here's a video comparing the two ... from a man I like & trust:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRqh1XZL8rI
I too appreciate his views, and I don’t doubt them for a minute. The reason I chose the Leica version is for the alleged better weather proofing, and the capability of a wider aperture if needed..

I too appreciate his views, and I don’t doubt them for a minute. The reason I chose the Leica version is for the alleged better weather proofing, and the capability of a wider aperture if needed..
So difficult ! I can afford the Leica and love the build quality of the 8-18 but the LUMIX 12-60 is very light !

So difficult ! I can afford the Leica and love the build quality of the 8-18 but the LUMIX 12-60 is very light !
For no logical reason, apart from build quality and the reassurance of Leica-certified qc during production, I try to lean towards the Leica-marked lenses. You-tube is full of comparisons and opinions and can easily confuse you as much as a Jack Russell with two tennis balls. Maybe if my Leica had not been available at a good price my decision may have been different, but the faster apertures swayed me.

PS I’m the first to advocate for lighter lenses, but the G9 is such a solid beast it makes little difference. May be a different matter on the Oly.

I couldn't see much difference, in fact I preferred the Lumix.
I didn't keep the Leica, and have since got another Lumix, the lighter weight was the main deciding factor for me, not the aperture.

I couldn't see much difference, in fact I preferred the Lumix.
I didn't keep the Leica, and have since got another Lumix, the lighter weight was the main deciding factor for me, not the aperture.
I think I will try the cheaper LUMIX - at around 200g there are no excuses not to put it in my bag !

I love a bargain. A GH2 fitted with a 500mm Tamron is a useful bit of kit, especially when the total cost works out around £175. First the bargain, then a sample...

Tamron 500mm mirror lens on Panasonic GH2 Ixus 70 IMG_4334.JPG
Shed window 500mm GH2 P1320527.JPG

I've had the Lumix 12-60mm on my GX9 since I bought them early in 2020 and am very happy with it. It's what goes in the back of the car when I go out and is also used for anything I want to sell on here, eBay, etc. It focuses down to 8" which is a bonus.

Well, this topic has been a wake-up call for me. I originally went back into m4/3 as a weight-saving exercise, but as usual GAS intervened, and I ended up with a G9 body and two Leica-branded lenses; the 12-60 and the 8-18. This setup is not particularly light. Whilst I am not prepared to forsake the ergonomics of the G9, this conversation has prompted me to examine the exifs of shots taken with these 2 lenses. As a result I am disposing of both lenses in favour of the Lumix 12-60 and the Laowa 7.5mm. Got what I think is a good price quote from MPB in exchange for the Lumix and have bought a nearly-new Laowa from Ebay. This should result iin a much lighter bag.

I think I will try the cheaper LUMIX - at around 200g there are no excuses not to put it in my bag !
I see you're enquiring in the TP Items Wanted. MPB have lots, "Like New", that's where I bought mine and it really was like new.

I recommend you ensure you get the neat little hood included.

Back