"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Ok, gone for the Red one...if anything just to be different (my G1 is the Blue one):LOL:
It's academic really anyway as no doubt the G3 will prove impossible to resist or possibly even the new GF(3) if that's what gets announced soon :shrug:

:thinking: Why, it draws attention, and when you come to sell (if you do) I bet it will be worth less, not being neutral . . . ? You may of course, wear it out, then my opinion means nothing.

CJS

All I'm interested in is still image quality and it does baffle me that no manufacturer seems to be interested in moving image quality forward with each new camera.

I suppose it could be too early to tell if the G3 is better or worse than the GH2 (if no one's had a lot of time with production G3's yet) but the move away from dials and buttons to on screen stuff could irritate me regardless of image quality and then there's the lack of auto focus lenses.

I'm hard to please.

I must admit I am not a fan of camera touchscreens. Although I have a G2, I find I very rarely use the screen to set the camera up. As long as I can change WB ISO aperture and shutter settings without having to go into menus, I am happy.
One think I think is a backward step with the G3 is the removal of the eye sensor for the LCD/EVF. That alone would stop me buying it.

I also cant understand why they sell it with the 14-42 kit lens. To make the most of that new sensor, I would have liked the 14-45 lens included.

Allan

but the move away from dials and buttons to on screen stuff could irritate me regardless of image quality

I was thinking of this last night. I'm now used to having lots of wonderful dials and buttons on my GH1, and the thought of losing them to a menu is shocking - but wait, my previous camera (Olympus E520) had none of these lovely buttons, they were all hidden away in that quirky little menu of Olympus', and I managed with that OK.

You know I don't even think I'd miss the EVF switch, since I prefer to review images through the EVF rather than on screen as I can't see the screen in daylight.

Maybe I could live with a G3 after all :thinking:

Me and a G3. Despite everything I said it could be love at first sight... but if I leave it until the G3 comes out will there be even fewer GH2's in the shops than there are now? Decisions...

I do wish that I could buy a standard zoom f2.8 and a few fast primes though.

HERES a few fast primes for you, you just need an ƒ2.8 zoom now......

Allan

Quite reasonable new prices on the 14mm and 20mm there.

You would think so wouldnt you, but they are one of those irritating companies that advertise prices excluding VAT :thumbsdown:

Allan

Me and a G3. Despite everything I said it could be love at first sight... but if I leave it until the G3 comes out will there be even fewer GH2's in the shops than there are now? Decisions...

I do wish that I could buy a standard zoom f2.8 and a few fast primes though.

Yes something like a 12-50 f2.8 would be lovely! I HATE variable apertures.

I finally got the right adapter for my new Minolta 45mm F2, I can happily reccomend it as alens everyone should own. I've won a Macro Teleconverter for it on ebay for a whole penny too, so that's my new Tele/macro kit sorted! :D

I've decided on a M4/3 camera as what I'm going to buy and as I'm looking for a smaller form factor its come down to an Oly Pen on Panasonic GF1/GF2.

For the Pens it would be the EP1 (based on price and the fact the handling of the EPL's I didnt like)

And in the Panasonic corner probably a used GF1 although the twin lens GF2 with the 14mm looks quite good value.

I know there are some compromises with the GF2 (no remote release, flash comp) but its seems a nice enough system.

The big thing that keeps going round my head is the In Camera IS of the Olympus v the no Body IS of the Pannys; especially as I'm planning to mainly use the pancakes rather than an OIS stabilised lens.

I know that the GF1 and GF2 have been massive sellers (as are Nikon & Canon DSLRs which have no in body IS!) but I've never had an SLR without in body IS (Sony, Olympus, Pentax) and I'm really wondering if I'll notice a difference?

Is there a fast zoom like a 14-42 f/2.8 for the m4/3?

Was actually wondering if anyone has and can post any impressions of the 14-140 though. I have heard really good things about it but given its range I am a bit apprehensive.

What I have found is that despite having a brilliant 50-150 Sigma for my Nikon D40 the size and weight means that I avoid taking it with me but at times the range can be very useful. So was wondering if I could expect the same image quality from a much more flexible much smaller lens on a much smaller body (G3)

Thanks

Unfortunately the only fast zooms are the very excellent 4/3rds DSLR zooms (mostly Olympus) which require the pricey adapter. They're really really good though ... my 14-54MkI F2.8-3.5 wont AF on my G1. Later Gs do fine.

HERES a few fast primes for you, you just need an ƒ2.8 zoom now......

Allan

It's a start but all there really is there is the 45mm macro.

What I'd really like, all with IS and full time manual focus override, and all specifically designed for MFT and not just full frame or APS-C lenses with a welded on MFT mount please...

a "standard" f2.8 zoom,
a 25mm f1.4 - the one in the link is FT not MFT,
a 40mm f1.4,
a shortish macro... 45mm f2.8 is available and will do,
a f2.8 macro somewhere around 120mm.

I'll keep watching but after initial excitement about MFT I'm now getting a bit disillusioned as the cameras seem to be there or coming along but the zoom lenses seem to be lacking unless you want a f3.5-5.6 and the primes mostly aren't there.

...I've never had an SLR without in body IS (Sony, Olympus, Pentax) and I'm really wondering if I'll notice a difference?

Yes you will.

I have a Canon DSLR and of course many compatible lenses are simply not available with IS. It's only recently that the standard zoom lenses have had IS fitted but try buying an IS wide zoom or a prime under 100mm with IS and you'll see that it's impossible as there aren't any.

I've used in body IS cameras and it's a God send but I think that both Canon and Nikon would instigate nuclear war before they'd willingly fit it to one of their SLR's so anyone with one of those systems not only has limited options, in many cases they have no options.

When I started using the G1+14-42 IS lens I was amazed by what is possible so YES if you don't have either an IS body or IS lenses you will miss IS and you'll miss it a lot (if you want to use lowish shutter speeds...)

Last edited:
Well I think I'm going to order an EP1 in the morning, next decision is lenses! I can get the EP1 on its own for £199 or £299 with the Olympus 17mm lens, I was looking to add one of the Panasonic's to my lineup but I'm not sure whether I'd be better off with the 14mm or the 20mm

Hi all,

I'm after some thoughts on lenses. I am now fully invested in micro 4/3rds. I have a G2 and EP-1 with 20mm, 14mm and 14-42mm lenses. I also have a 4/3rd 9-18mm and 35mm macro which I decided to keep when I sold on my E620. I use these with an adaptor which is ok, but not the fastest AF.

I am now looking for a reasonable zoom to complete the focal coverage. Any suggestions?

The obvious choice is the 45-200 micro. However, not sure whether this is worth investing in over a 4/3rd lens I could use with the adaptor.

Any suggestions greatfully received!

Cheers

Matt.

I have a case that I got with my E-LP1. Its a black 2 part hard leather case with tripod screw. It will fit EP1 and 2 as well, with lenses up to the 14-42.
I cant use it with mine because I have a Lumix 14-45 fitted and its bigger than the standard OLY lens.
Its the same as THIS one, if you are interested, I am selling mine for half Amazons price.
Allan

This was the second outing for my G1 but the first with sunshine...

_1000598.jpg

_1000601.jpg

_1000590.jpg

_1000572.jpg

_1000562.jpg

_1000561.jpg

I'd like a wider aperture lens for narrow DoF stuff.

I have a case that I got with my E-LP1. Its a black 2 part hard leather case with tripod screw. It will fit EP1 and 2 as well, with lenses up to the 14-42.
I cant use it with mine because I have a Lumix 14-45 fitted and its bigger than the standard OLY lens.
Its the same as THIS one, if you are interested, I am selling mine for half Amazons price.
Allan

I'll take it if your selling.

Certainly, I did have this advertised in the classifieds but cant resurrect the thread because I am selling something else, I'll send you a pm and hope the mods dont see........
Allan

Last edited:
Ok, so my nice new GF2 turned up today but they sent the wrong lens. Instead of the 14mm pancake lens they sent it with the 14-42mm kit lens :bang:
So thats one camera that is now in the process of being returned :shake:

Not sure what to do now as i was'nt 100% certain it was what i wanted in the first place...i wish there was more info on the D3 available :love:

My son was looking at my GF1 last night and remarked on a thin black line on the lcd screen going from side to side just above where the various settings are displayed at the bottom. It seemed to bother him and he asked how long it had been there. I remarked I think it is some sort of margin separating the settings at the bottom of the screen. The more I thought about it the more paranoid I got, tbh I can't remember if it was there or not when I got the camera or if it is there by default. It certainly doesn't show up on photos or computer.

Can a GF 1 owner tell me if the line is meant to be there or not please.

Hi,

I'm just looking at my GF1 now...

In 3:2 mode there's no line but in 16:9 mode there's a sort or gray line above the unsued section of the bottom. Could that be what you're seeing? What display mode are you in?

There are two settings of how you want it to look one is more black than the other. Check the manual and the menu.

I would check your aspect ratio and LCD display styles. 16:9 aspect will give you a wide screen with black lines top and bottom, more noticeable at the bottom
Allan

Hi all. I've just got back from 2 weeks in Tenerife and I just took my GF1, 14-45, 25mm CCTV lens and iPad for backup/editing :)

I have to say that I keep being amazed by the gf1 and CCTV lens combination for low light shooting and unique video with very shallow DOF. I bought the iPad camera connection kit just before I went away so I could use it for photo/video backup but found that the Photogene app is an excellent tool for editing away from my pc. For under £2 it's like a compact lightroom for the iPad which includes features like preset styles, noise reduction, White balance/contrast etc. All in all, I ended up using free time whilst I was away to run some quick edits through it like this one;

uok7LOg

I've also been using Trey Ratcliffe's (Stuck in Customs) app "100 cameras in 1" which is aimed specifically at adding textures over images starting from 100 different presets which can then be adjusted/layered as required. This is an edit of the same shot above;

B7ciD8f

Overall I'm still loving my GF1 and the £20 CCTV lens with ipad just adds to the fun!

Cheers
Steve

That is a beautiful pic Glen......must get cracking with my 100-300mm

It's a jpeg, taken at 300mm, ISO 200 f5.6, 1/1000th sec with the G1 set to EZ (extra optical zoom) mode. Hand held.

Glenn did you not have a 45 - 200 as well, How does this compare and how well would it work on a GF1 or would it be hard to use without Viewer

Glenn did you not have a 45 - 200 as well, How does this compare and how well would it work on a GF1 or would it be hard to use without Viewer

Yes, I've still got the 45-200, here's a shot taken at 200mm on the same day as the previous one. This time the G1 wasn't in EZ mode. I didn't like using the lens on my GF1 without the EVF, which is why I bought the G1 in the first place.

IOM3.jpg

Brings back happy memories, passed my test in this type of car in the 60s, A teenager at the time borrowing the old mans car with bench style seats was the best thing since sliced bread :D
P1020559.jpg
[/IMG]

P1020591.jpg

Both taken with GF 1 & 20mm lens

Last edited:
Looking for some advice on a small bag for my EP1 so any GF1/GF2 bag suggestions would be equally applicable!
Thanks to Allan I've got a 2 piece body case for the EP1 which is great when its in another bag, however I've been looking for a small bag that would take the camera, a lens or two (Primes or maybe a 14-45) along with the spare battery, wallet, phone and maybe my gorillapod when I'm out and about.
I've noticed the Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW100 is fairly cheap at the moment and thought this might do but wondered if anyone else had used one or had any other reccomendations.

Anyone tried a wide angle adapter on their camera"s ( for interior shots etc ) , there are a few on ebay 0.45x for 52mm thread , example here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/52mm-0-45X-Wi...ers_Lenses&hash=item2a0d6c3ec5#ht_3513wt_1139

I have used similar wide angle adapters on camcorders with good results , just wondering if I would be disapointed with one on a 20mm on the GH1 . I have been using the Moving Jpeg HD mode to put footage of the grandson directly on to an ipad without any conversion and was thinking of this adapter for such use.

Julian

Last edited:
Back