"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Took the G9 out for the first time yesterday morning, It was dark and raining and I should have waited until today, as it's a lovely day. C'est la vie. Anyway, I was just experimenting with a few settings and am a long way from figuring anything out. But I did spend a lovely ten minutes watching this cormorant hunting. He/she was very efficient - on almost every (long) dive he came up with a decent sized fish. His surfacing was so far away from his diving that I failed to get my desired shot of him emerging from the water. I tried various settings - including one of the high speed / mechanical shutter settings and was a bit amazed that when I got home I discovered I'd taken over 400 images. I'd have estimated about 40. It's taken me an hour to go through and delete them. There are so many permutations and options that I think it'll take me a while before I work out what's best for me. I was on ISO 2500 which was very noisy, but the morning was so dark, thus to keep the SS high enough I needed all that ISO. Probably won't get out today, but already looking forward to the next session.

100-300 at 300mm. ISO 2500 f/5.6 SS 1/400th

Comorant 1.jpg

Last edited:
Well taken Derek but I don't think you should be worrying about ISO 2,500 as that should be ok for whole pictures at least. There's be noise but there should be detail too but I suppose what is acceptable noise is up for debate and is a personal decision.

I've had a 100-300 for years, never used it much, but I'm convinced it's better at 250mm than 300mm. You need to get closer @delb0y ;)

btw where is that, the river or the canal? I know that part of the world, You must know Frampton-on-Severn?

I've had a 100-300 for years, never used it much, but I'm convinced it's better at 250mm than 300mm. You need to get closer @delb0y ;)

btw where is that, the river or the canal? I know that part of the world, You must know Frampton-on-Severn?

Hi David. Yes, I've read that the 100-300 (like many zooms) is better a bit in from it's maximum range. As I was standing right on the edge of the canal it was difficult to get closer ;-)

Yes, I know Frampton very well - used to be a member of Frampton Angling Club and fished the big boating lake and their bit of the Stroudwater canal. These days, I've joined other angling clubs but still spend a lot of time cycling round those parts. I also did a falconry course at the Clifford's small gaff... Frampton Manor. I keep meaning to go for a walk around the lake with my camera - hopefully something I can put right very soon.

The above shot was taken on the canal close to Rea bridge. I have a walking loop from home, to the Pilot, along the canal to either Rea bridge or Sims bridge and back home via the footpaths and alleyways. It's between four and five miles and is nice first thing, although there are too many dog-walkers and runners and rowers for it to be really good for wild-life.

Cheers
Derek

Last edited:
A picture I've reprocessed today with PS2022 instead of CS5.

GX80 and 45-150mm.
A slight crop at 150mm, f11, 1/320 and ISO 12,800.

Q0ktlWn.jpg

Last edited:
Hi David. Yes, I've read that the 100-300 (like many zooms) is better a bit in from it's maximum range. As I was standing right on the edge of the canal it was difficult to get closer ;-)

Yes, I know Frampton very well - used to be a member of Frampton Angling Club and fished the big boating lake and their bit of the Stroudwater canal. These days, I've joined other angling clubs but still spend a lot of time cycling round those parts. I also did a falconry course at the Clifford's small gaff... Frampton Manor. I keep meaning to go for a walk around the lake with my camera - hopefully something I can put right very soon.

The above shot was taken on the canal close to Rea bridge. I have a walking loop from home, to the Pilot, along the canal to either Rea bridge or Sims bridge and back home via the footpaths and alleyways. It's between four and five miles and is nice first thing, although there are too many dog-walkers and runners and rowers for it to be really good for wild-life.

Cheers
Derek
The Pilot: nice place for a pint on a summer evening. I could be seen cycling round Frampton, over the bridge as far as Arlingham, as a little 'un back in the 60s. Before your time. ;)

Ha I remember the chocolate factory, and lumps of free chocolate!

Can anyone offer any insights for me.

I currently have a Fuji XT-4 which I did have the 27mm 2.8 (40mm equiv) that I had intended to use as a bit of an EDC when at work and just generally out and about however I always found it too big really for having with me at work and ended up selling the lens (regretting the now but thats a different story!).

That 27mm part is somewhat key though in that I like that focus length and when using my standard zoom on the XT-4 tend to gravitate to that area.

So I've been looking for something small to go in a jacket pocket or small 'man' bag and was looking at the Rioch G3x but I'm also liking the look of the GX9 and thinking of pairing with the 20mm 1.7 or something around that length if a better option exists, to give me that 40mm but unlike the G3x the option to change if I felt the desire.

I have no experience of either camera or brand however and having a quick look online at my nearest retailers none have stock of either so if I bite the bullet I will be buying blind.

Size wise the Rioch has it in the bag (I think) but loses out on the changeable lens and price side to the GX9.

Has anyone got or used both and can offer any thoughts?

The camera is purely going to be my EDC or at least thats my initial intention. Are any of you using the GX9 or similar generations as an EDC and if so how do you find it?

Also how is the 20mm 1.7 and also how good or otherwise is the 12-32mm that comes in the kits. I am leaning towards body and the 20mm vs the kit and 20mm at present but open to being swayed.

Lastly for now(!) does anyone know of any online resources where I can download some RAWs to look at on my computer/editing software of choice? I believe DPReview you can but I don have an account and would prefer not to create yet another.

Cheers in advance for anything anyone can add. I don't intend to buy immediately but am starting to narrow down options and ideas and I am currently leaning towards the GX9 I think with the G3x lingering in the background as a maybe now.

I can't help with the G3x side of things but I do have a GX9 and think it is a great camera. Not too big and not too small and I really enjoy using it. It doesn't have a fully articulating screen, but that doesn't bother me and I find the screen flipping is handy. I don't use the EVF very often, but on the odd occasion I have, I haven't had any issues with it. Some people like to order the additional EV rubber cap (about £18 irc). I am out with a little group of photography buddies next weekend (weather permitting) around Lichfield and plan to take the GX9 and a couple of batteries over other cameras I have (S5, S1, G9). I think the image quality is great, but then again I don't pixel peep at 500% and I am not earning a living from photography.

I had the 12-32 mm and had no issues with it at all (it is very small though so my big hands found it a little awkward). My wife now has this lens on her GX880 (great little camera also by the way imo) and although not the fastest lens, it is really tiny. I can get her GX880 with the 12-32 in my jacket pocket. My GX9 typically has the PL 12-60 strapped to it, so it wouldn't fit but last week I took the GX9 out alongside my S1 with the 9mm Olympus fisheye lens and that was in my coat pocket, so getting it in with the 12-32 wouldn't be an issue in my coat.

Hope that helps :)

Firstly sorry but I don't know what EDC means :D but hopefully that not important. I do have a GX9 and a GX80 and the 20mm f1.7 and other lenses.

As you're a Fuji owner could a X100 of some description make sense? The X100 is about the same size as a GX9 except that the GX9 will be thicker with the 20mm f1.7 mounted. I have a Fuji X100f and the EVF is much better than the GX9's.

If you want to go for a GX9 rather than a Fuji X100 you might also like to take just a quick look at the GX80 which similar to the GX9 but has fewer mp (16 rather than the GX9's 20) and lacks some of the GX9's controls and the tilting EVF. I only mention it because it may be cheaper than the GX9.

Lens wise I have the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and there are a couple of things to consider. Firstly it's relatively slow to focus compared to some of the other very fast focusing MFT lenses and secondly AFAIK it can't do continuous focus. An alternative I have is the Olympus 17mm f1.8 which is very well made, fast to focus and does continuous focusing.

Personally I'd stay away from the 12-32mm as it doesn't have a focus ring and as far as I know if you want to manually focus it's done on a sliding scale on the back screen. I do have a conventional and with focus ring 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens and it is tiny and sharp enough from wide open.

If you can't find any GX9 raws I could let you have some, if you need them let me know.

Good luck choosing.

Last edited:
I can't help with the G3x side of things but I do have a GX9 and think it is a great camera. Not too big and not too small and I really enjoy using it. It doesn't have a fully articulating screen, but that doesn't bother me and I find the screen flipping is handy. I don't use the EVF very often, but on the odd occasion I have, I haven't had any issues with it. Some people like to order the additional EV rubber cap (about £18 irc). I am out with a little group of photography buddies next weekend (weather permitting) around Lichfield and plan to take the GX9 and a couple of batteries over other cameras I have (S5, S1, G9). I think the image quality is great, but then again I don't pixel peep at 500% and I am not earning a living from photography.

I had the 12-32 mm and had no issues with it at all (it is very small though so my big hands found it a little awkward). My wife now has this lens on her GX880 (great little camera also by the way imo) and although not the fastest lens, it is really tiny. I can get her GX880 with the 12-32 in my jacket pocket. My GX9 typically has the PL 12-60 strapped to it, so it wouldn't fit but last week I took the GX9 out alongside my S1 with the 9mm Olympus fisheye lens and that was in my coat pocket, so getting it in with the 12-32 wouldn't be an issue in my coat.

Hope that helps :)
Cheers Adam. Some useful info.
Articulating screen or lack of is a non issue for me and likewise pixel peeping is not something I do. If it looks good at 100% I’m happy.

How does it feel in the hand? I notice that you can get a grip for it so wondering if that’s something to consider possibly alongside the eye cup.
I am 50/50 on the 12-32. I don’t in my head want it. More a case of if it’s decent it might make sense to pick up the kit.

Firstly sorry but I don't know what EDC means :D but hopefully that not important. I do have a GX9 and a GX80 and the 20mm f1.7 and other lenses.

As you're a Fuji owner could a X100 of some description make sense? The X100 is about the same size as a GX9 except that the GX9 will be thicker with the 20mm f1.7 mounted. I have a Fuji X100f and the EVF is much better than the GX9's.

If you want to go for a GX9 rather than a Fuji X100 you might also like to take just a quick look at the GX80 which similar to the GX9 but has fewer mp (16 rather than the GX9's 20) and lacks some of the GX9's controls and the tilting EVF. I only mention it because it may be cheaper than the GX9.

Lens wise I have the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and there are a couple of things to consider. Firstly it's relatively slow to focus compared to some of the other very fast focusing MFT lenses and secondly AFAIK it can't do continuous focus. An alternative I have is the Olympus 17mm f1.8 which is very well made, fast to focus and does continuous focusing.

Personally I'd stay away from the 12-32mm as it doesn't have a focus ring and as far as I know if you want to manually focus it's done on a sliding scale on the back screen. I do have a conventional and with focus ring 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens and it is tiny and sharp enough from wide open.

If you can't find any GX9 raws I could let you have some, if you need them let me know.

Good luck choosing.
Cheers Alan.

EDC = Every Day Carry.

I am back and forth of the X100V. The cost and to a degree the fixed 23mm/35mm equiv are putting me off or more, making me look what else is out.
From a purely price perspective the GX9 + 20mm is roughly half vs the X100V. That’s a pretty big difference And not one I can ignore.

The X-E4 is also worth a thought I guess. Not as expensive as the X100V but a smidge more than the GX9 + 20mm. The trouble as I see the X-E4 is it’s essentially my X-T4 Just smaller.

Didn’t realise though that the GX9 was similar size to the X100. Assumed the GX was smaller. Certainly it appears so in picture to me.

There is, I won’t lie an element of wanting to try something different too.

Useful information on the 20mm and continuous AF. The intent is to use this more for street and slower moving subjects but still worth keeping in mind.

May take you up on the RAWs especially if you could pair up with the 20mm for me.

Need to do some more thinking. I don’t need anything ‘now’ so no rush but I definitely want something small that I will be more inclined to carry more vs the XT-4 where I more often can’t be bothered lugging it around due to size.

Thanks both for your input.

The official grip isn't worth looking at as I understand it, it covers the battery section, so you need to remove it. There is another brand out there that I have looked at JJC which seems to be popular. I've had one in my Amazon basket for months but have purchased it as of yet.

May order it this month lol
Thanks. Will keep that in mind if I do go down the GX9 route.

Cheers Adam. Some useful info.
Articulating screen or lack of is a non issue for me and likewise pixel peeping is not something I do. If it looks good at 100% I’m happy.

How does it feel in the hand? I notice that you can get a grip for it so wondering if that’s something to consider possibly alongside the eye cup.
I am 50/50 on the 12-32. I don’t in my head want it. More a case of if it’s decent it might make sense to pick up the kit.

Cheers Alan.

EDC = Every Day Carry.

I am back and forth of the X100V. The cost and to a degree the fixed 23mm/35mm equiv are putting me off or more, making me look what else is out.
From a purely price perspective the GX9 + 20mm is roughly half vs the X100V. That’s a pretty big difference And not one I can ignore.

The X-E4 is also worth a thought I guess. Not as expensive as the X100V but a smidge more than the GX9 + 20mm. The trouble as I see the X-E4 is it’s essentially my X-T4 Just smaller.

Didn’t realise though that the GX9 was similar size to the X100. Assumed the GX was smaller. Certainly it appears so in picture to me.

There is, I won’t lie an element of wanting to try something different too.

Useful information on the 20mm and continuous AF. The intent is to use this more for street and slower moving subjects but still worth keeping in mind.

May take you up on the RAWs especially if you could pair up with the 20mm for me.

Need to do some more thinking. I don’t need anything ‘now’ so no rush but I definitely want something small that I will be more inclined to carry more vs the XT-4 where I more often can’t be bothered lugging it around due to size.

Thanks both for your input.

I went for the X100s but got a faulty one and replaced it with the X100f. I see two advantages to the X100... a much better evf and the close focusing ability of the lens. GX9 has advantages such as the tilting screen and tilting EVF also I suspect the focusing may be better on the GX9.

Size wise, take a look here...

Good luck choosing, there's nothing wrong with wanting a change and let me know if you need raws.

Last edited:
The official grip isn't worth looking at as I understand it, it covers the battery section, so you need to remove it. There is another brand out there that I have looked at JJC which seems to be popular. I've had one in my Amazon basket for months but have purchased it as of yet.

May order it this month lol
I think I may have the JJC grip for the GX9. If I still have it, it’s hardly used. Perhaps if you put a wanted ad up I could be persuaded to look for it!

I have a GX9, and it is very good, I only have one complaint, it does not have a remote socket.

It feels very solid, and probably has more than you need for a carry-around.

The 20mm 1.7 lens not being able to use AFC has never worried me, and the focus speed is relative, it is fast compared to many dSLR lenses of its time.

The grip was a concern before I bought it, I was leaning towards a GX8 for that reason, but in actual use it is comfortable, even with the 100-300 lens, but with the 100-400 the G9 is far better :)

The 12-32 lens is a nice lens, and when I want a small compact lens to carry around, I am not likely to use AF.

Yesterday I received a GX7, and for a carry around, it is great, has a front and back wheel and everything I need. At slightly over £150, very nice, and it has IBIS.
It will be perfect to take around just in case.

It also shares the same battery with my GX9 and GF3 (Edit) should say batteries, look like I only have on between 3 cameras :)

Last edited:
I went for the X100s but got a faulty one and replaced it with the X100f. I see two advantages to the X100... a much better evf and the close focusing ability of the lens. GX9 has advantages such as the tilting screen and tilting EVF also I suspect the focusing may be better on the GX9.

Size wise, take a look here...

Good luck choosing, there's nothing wrong with wanting a change and let me know if you need raws.
Have had a size comparison and it does muddy the water a little. I don’t know why but I had assumed/thought the GX9 was smaller.
Still. What is considerably smaller I’d it’s price!

I feel, righty or wrongly that if I did get an X100 it would have to be the V and with used prices silly it’s more sense to get new. Just not sure I am prepared to spend that at the minute. I’d rather put that towards lens for the XT-4.

Definitely more thinking to do.

I have a GX9, and it is very good, I only have one complaint, it does not have a remote socket.

It feels very solid, and probably has more than you need for a carry-around.

The 20mm 1.7 lens not being able to use AFC has never worried me, and the focus speed is relative, it is fast compared to many dSLR lenses of its time.

The grip was a concern before I bought it, I was leaning towards a GX8 for that reason, but in actual use it is comfortable, even with the 100-300 lens, but with the 100-400 the G9 is far better :)

The 12-32 lens is a nice lens, and when I want a small compact lens to carry around, I am not likely to use AF.

Yesterday I received a GX7, and for a carry around, it is great, has a front and back wheel and everything I need. At slightly over £150, very nice, and it has IBIS.
It will be perfect to take around just in case.

It also shares the same battery with my GX9 and GF3 (Edit) should say batteries, look like I only have on between 3 cameras :)
Thanks Steve. More very useful input.

Will sit on this and have a good think but the GX9 is definitely in the running.

@Crotal Bell you may find the below video useful to watch especially around the 5 minute 30 seconds.

View: https://youtu.be/u_lW3G_w-AQ

:)
Thanks Adam, I've watched a few from this channel and very interesting.

I was going to play about with the internal teleconverter and digital zoom today but it would not come alive in the menu, so I assume it does not work with the 100-300mm lens.

I was going to play about with the internal teleconverter and digital zoom today but it would not come alive in the menu, so I assume it does not work with the 100-300mm lens.
I've watched some of her videos mainly on the autofocus and 6k recording. I don't shoot wildlife so haven't played around with this settings myself either. Just thought you may find it useful (y)

Also just to add that I don't have that lens either so can't help you on that one I'm afraid

Have had a size comparison and it does muddy the water a little. I don’t know why but I had assumed/thought the GX9 was smaller.
Still. What is considerably smaller I’d it’s price!

I too thought the GX9 was smaller than the X100 and for some reason the X100 does look bigger in isolation but side by side in reality there's really nothing in it except that the GX9 is deeper with a lens fitted. The X100 must just have a deceptive size and shape.

For really small there's the GM5 which is a teeny tiny 16mp MFT camera but they're expensive and it's hard to find a good working one. There are other older small EVF-less models like the GF1, GX1, GF2, GF3 which you may see at bargain prices but I don't like back screen shooting and much prefer an evf.

Good luck choosing.

Hi, I've been using a GX80 as my main camera for the last 4-5 years. It's an absolute beaut and damned clever design & menus. The 16mp sensor is not to be underestimated. I dislike the little 12-32 ... It's not a pocket camera anyway, you're much better off with the 12-60. And there are loads of other nice lenses, of course.

The Ricoh GR3x ... After much thought and yearning, I bought one about three months ago, then soon after had a nasty accident breaking my arm in two places, so not used it much. It's a deceptively beautiful & sophisticated little bit of kit. I could go on but as I've said I've not used it much other than learning the menus, short cuts & configurations. One thing I will mention is ... It's got a handy crop mode, so you can compose & shoot at 40mm equiv, 50 & 71 equiv. The biggest crop, smallest file size, being plenty big enough for the internet. There's something about it that makes it exceptionally good at motion blur, panning, reflections, double exposures etc., if you like that kind of thing.

They are both the same as just cropping, and of course there is no physical internal teleconverter, really just preset digital zooms.
I tried them when I first got the G80, can't remember what lens/s
For stills, I don't see the point.

EDC = Every Day Carry.

For me, both the fixed lens and the price put it out of the running for an carry around.
It seems more of a specialised niche camera than general and flexible use

The GX9 is slightly smaller, except if you put a bigger lens on it :) ( https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/panasonic-gx9-vs-fujifilm-x100v )

The X100 does not have stabilisation as far as I know, the GX9 has in body stabilisation, and with Power OIS lenses (NOT Mega OIS) you have dual lens and body stabilisation, which I think is a must for general use. (especially this far from the equator)

The lenses from a GX9 can be shared with other M43 Panasonics, which could be anything from a G9 to an under £50 throw in the car G3.

I totally agree with the comment about the GF2 and GF3 not having an EVF, though tests last year showed that an old GF2 produced far better pictures than the latest iphone :)

I really like the X100s, but mainly as it reminds me of using a film camera without the hassle of film :) It does take very good quality photos. I just often feel that is I can't change the lens I would be happier with a TZ100 or similar from another brand.

The biggest difference I find between the GX7 (in the short time I have had it) and the GX9 is the lower resolution (16 vs 20MP) and the fact that the stabilisation does not work when looking through the viewfinder or screen, but not an issue. On the plus side it has a remote socket, and it is half the price :)

Hi, I've been using a GX80 as my main camera for the last 4-5 years. It's an absolute beaut and damned clever design & menus. The 16mp sensor is not to be underestimated. I dislike the little 12-32 ... It's not a pocket camera anyway, you're much better off with the 12-60. And there are loads of other nice lenses, of course.

The Ricoh GR3x ... After much thought and yearning, I bought one about three months ago, then soon after had a nasty accident breaking my arm in two places, so not used it much. It's a deceptively beautiful & sophisticated little bit of kit. I could go on but as I've said I've not used it much other than learning the menus, short cuts & configurations. One thing I will mention is ... It's got a handy crop mode, so you can compose & shoot at 40mm equiv, 50 & 71 equiv. The biggest crop, smallest file size, being plenty big enough for the internet. There's something about it that makes it exceptionally good at motion blur, panning, reflections, double exposures etc., if you like that kind of thing.
Hope your recovery is going well. I broke my radial head (elbow) in November so have done very little other than feel sorry for myself and spend too much time virtually spending money and going around in circles!

The reviews of the GX9 I’ve read seem pretty positive AFC generally seeming to be the weaker point. Well. My X-T4 hardly sets the world alight there!

As for the GR3X it came on my radar mainly due to James Popsys (YouTube) as he has one and the images and general impression he gives seemed positive. Then coupled with the 40mm equiv that I like, I started to show an interest. Then after a chance conversation with a work colleague it turned out he has an original GR which he brought in for me to have a look at and age notwithstanding it seemed a decent little camera. Further increasing my interest.
Size aside though, I keep wondering whether it’s worth the extra over something like the GX9 in reality especially considering the interchangeable lens aspect of the GX9.

Would be nice if stock levels were such I could spend a day in town and visit a couple of retailers and try the cameras. I hate buying blind!
For me, both the fixed lens and the price put it out of the running for a carry around.
It seems more of a specialised niche camera than general and flexible use

The GX9 is slightly smaller, except if you put a bigger lens on it :) ( https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/panasonic-gx9-vs-fujifilm-x100v )

The X100 does not have stabilisation as far as I know, the GX9 has in body stabilisation, and with Power OIS lenses (NOT Mega OIS) you have dual lens and body stabilisation, which I think is a must for general use. (especially this far from the equator)

The lenses from a GX9 can be shared with other M43 Panasonics, which could be anything from a G9 to an under £50 throw in the car G3.

I totally agree with the comment about the GF2 and GF3 not having an EVF, though tests last year showed that an old GF2 produced far better pictures than the latest iphone :)

I really like the X100s, but mainly as it reminds me of using a film camera without the hassle of film :) It does take very good quality photos. I just often feel that is I can't change the lens I would be happier with a TZ100 or similar from another brand.

The biggest difference I find between the GX7 (in the short time I have had it) and the GX9 is the lower resolution (16 vs 20MP) and the fact that the stabilisation does not work when looking through the viewfinder or screen, but not an issue. On the plus side it has a remote socket, and it is half the price :)
I think for me and what I intend to do, the fixed lens in less the issue. The price however!

The benefit to the GX9 is I get to play around and decide what fixed focal length I want and although I say I want 40mm equiv I may settle on 50mm or even 35mm. Obviously with the X100 I don’t get that flexibility.

IBIS is a plus for the GX9. None of the X100 range have IBIS.

Battery life goes to the X100 but £600 extra buys a lot of batteries and indeed other accessories as needed!

Reports are that Fuji are having another summit in April. Tempted to wait until then and see what’s announced.
Although it seems unlikely an X100V or X-E4 successor is coming should one happen it would be worth consideration.

I am in no real rush. This is very much a ‘want’ vs ‘need’ situation.

Again. Would be nice to be able to walk into somewhere and physically use/hold them. GX9/GR3X/X100V/X-E4. Wishful thinking these days!

I feel that right now I am leaning in two directions.

1. Purchase the Fuji 27mm 2.8 again and live with the size compromises.

2. Look to find a GX7/8 and 20mm 1.7 used for around the price of the 27mm for my Fuji and see what I think of the system.

Back to going around in circles for a bit!

Really appreciate everyones input so far.

2. Look to find a GX7/8 and 20mm 1.7 used for around the price of the 27mm for my Fuji and see what I think of the system.

I wont go as far as saying you shouldn't buy a GX7 or GX8 but I think you need to be aware that that these cameras have the old shutter mechanism which can induce shutter shock when the cameras are used with the mechanical shutter and with susceptible lenses in the shutter shock affected shutter speed range.

Shutter shock can manifest as anything from a slightly soft image to a double image.

One way to avoid it is to use the electronic shutter but this can cause rolling shutter effects and banding when used under flickering artificial lighting.

I would advise anyone looking at a shutter shock affected cameras to think carefully about the issue and to select their lenses with care and after researching the issue.

Last edited:
I wont go as far as saying you shouldn't buy a GX7 or GX8 but I think you need to be aware that that these cameras have the old shutter mechanism which can induce shutter shock when the cameras are used with the mechanical shutter and with susceptible lenses in the shutter shock affected shutter speed range.

Shutter shock can manifest as anything from a slightly soft image to a double image.

One way to avoid it is to use the electronic shutter but this can cause rolling shutter effects and banding when used under flickering artificial lighting.

I would advise anyone looking at a shutter shock affected cameras to think carefully about the issue and to select their lenses with care and after researching the issue.
Less effective IBIS too and I think a low pass filter that will take the edge off detail.
GX85 would be an equally cheap way to try out a Panasonic camera and 20/1.7

I tried a 27mm on my X-E2, never liked that focal range much, not one thing or another.
It was always a cheap lens to buy s/hand, one of those given away with the X-Pro1 along with the 18mm.

Currently using my GX9 with the 15/1.7, seems like a nice pairing and compact too.

Last edited:
For EDC (Every Day Carry), the little GX800 or GX880 with 20mm lens might prove a good introduction to M43.

..... for one that likes a tilt up screen, and is not fussed about EVFs.

For EDC (Every Day Carry), the little GX800 or GX880 with 20mm lens might prove a good introduction to M43.

That's what I so like about the GX7: tilt screen and effective electronic view finder, which also tilts. Fitted with the 12~32mm "stolen" from one of my GM5s, it's a smashing walk around camera.

No. Definitely worth you mentioning.

I wouldn’t want to purchase one and be disappointed and thus right the system off when issue isn’t present in the newer version or indeed other iterations.

Does it manifest at all ss or only certain ranges?

Something I will keep in mind.

Less effective IBIS too and I think a low pass filter that will take the edge off detail.
GX85 would be an equally cheap way to try out a Panasonic camera and 20/1.7

I tried a 27mm on my X-E2, never liked that focal range much, not one thing or another.
It was always a cheap lens to buy s/hand, one of those given away with the X-Pro1 along with the 18mm.

Currently using my GX9 with the 15/1.7, seems like a nice pairing and compact too.
I will have a look at the GX85. Guessing they can’t be found new now and don’t recall seeing one used.

I had the ‘new’ 27mm although optically the old and new are supposed to be the same.
Paired with the X-T4 I thought it a good lens. I sold it far too impulsively really.

Now I’m not too fussed about the screen tilting or not but I do want an EVF so that rules those out although I could also give it to my wife to use who would just use the screen like she does with her phone.

An option, but an outside one I’d say.

That's what I so like about the GX7: tilt screen and effective electronic view finder, which also tilts. Fitted with the 12~32mm "stolen" from one of my GM5s, it's a smashing walk around camera.
If I’m getting the numbering right I think the single digit GXs probably tick the box better having both the EVF and screen.

As you mention the GX7.
Do you find shutter shock to be an issue as Alan warns to watch for.
If so. Is it generally within a specific ss range?

As you mention the GX7.
It is definitely worth reading up on the shutter shock issue.
It does exist, but I have a G7 and a GX7 and haven't had any issue with it.

Some reviewers speak about it like it is the end of the world, and some say the problem is greatly overplayed.

Using the electronic shutter to eliminate it isn't as often a problem as it is often portrayed, I don't often see banding from artificial light, it seems to be mainly with fluorescent lights, which are not so common now as they used to be, and rolling shutter effects show up on a minority of shots, and are often not noticed unless you are looking for them.

The shutter shock is reportedly worse with certain lenses at certain shutter speeds, but not having a problem I haven't looked at what they are.

My reading led me to the conclusion that it exists, but is often overplayed, and it has not been evident to me, maybe just luck, but as suggested it would be better for you to research it and draw your own conclusion :)

I’m on my second GX7 and to my knowledge have never encountered shutter shock

As I've said many times around here: I've never seen this shutter shock thing on my GX7 or an any of the 8 other Panasonic M43 cameras I've owned and used. For the sake of peace I won't say it's a myth but if it's real and as prevalent as some claim, I'm sure I'd have come across it.

Never had shutter shock on my albeit newer Panasonic cameras, but my first Olympus E-M1 was returned because of it.
It definitely exists and was mainly sorted on the Olympus with a firmware update, second E-M1 was fine.
Panasonic redesigned their shutter starting with the GX85 and G80, doubt they would have bothered for nothing.

Back