"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

grum said:
I saw a deal on Canon Rumors - $350 for a GF3 and the new power zoom! Shame they won't ship to the uk.

Slightly OT but does anyone know what happened to OldBoy (Dave) who used to post quite a lot on this thread? Hope he's ok.

OMG what a price, shame

hillwalkinggirl said:
Just checked oldboys activity and it appears he was on yesterday. Just sending him a PM to see if he's OK.

Well done, Barbara....hope he is alright..let us know x

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm if Intelligent Resolution and I.Dynamic work only for JPEGS? I'd always assumed so, but notice that even when in RAW only mode I can switch both on and se their icons on the screen.

Thanks
Steve

Is the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 a good starter prime?
I'm on a budget and it seems to be available for around £130. I've also seen the Olympus 17mm f2.8 for around the same price, but not sure if they're worth the money and which is better.
I could save up a bit longer for the 20mm if its going to be noticeably better, but I want to get a telephoto as well so not sure the best route to take.

Mandoo said:
Is the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 a good starter prime?
I'm on a budget and it seems to be available for around £130. I've also seen the Olympus 17mm f2.8 for around the same price, but not sure if they're worth the money and which is better.
I could save up a bit longer for the 20mm if its going to be noticeably better, but I want to get a telephoto as well so not sure the best route to take.

20mm is the better of the two, but the 14 is still great for the extra width and it's cheaper

20mm is best. 17mm is the worst (from what I've read)
14mm is good. love it for filming.

20mm is still considered as wide I think. telephoto - olympus 45mm is amazing !

I hate making decisions on camera gear, I always want everything straight away and also want it for a fiver! It just doesn't happen. :LOL:

The 14mm can be had for around £130 used and the 20mm can be picked up for around £250, I think. That's not actually a massive amount dearer, but I only have £250ish to spend at the moment and I need a telephoto.
I am off to the zoo in a few weeks and will definitely need some extra zoom there so do I then get the 14mm now as well and sell it on later to part fund the 20mm, or just leave the prime for now and get the 20mm when I've saved up enough?

Mandoo said:
I hate making decisions on camera gear, I always want everything straight away and also want it for a fiver! It just doesn't happen. :LOL:

The 14mm can be had for around £130 used and the 20mm can be picked up for around £250, I think. That's not actually a massive amount dearer, but I only have £250ish to spend at the moment and I need a telephoto.
I am off to the zoo in a few weeks and will definitely need some extra zoom there so do I then get the 14mm now as well and sell it on later to part fund the 20mm, or just leave the prime for now and get the 20mm when I've saved up enough?

Sorry to add another option, but going to the Zoo, you really need the 100-300, it's lovely!

Sorry to add another option, but going to the Zoo, you really need the 100-300, it's lovely!

Is this going to be a more expensive option by any chance?! :LOL:
I'll look into that one and then have a little cry over there being too many choices that I can't have!

I'm guessing you got a kit lens with the body - the 14-42? Why not get use the extra length of a 45-200 as they seem to go for about the money you have and gives you something else to play with thats affordable as you have covered, albeit with a zoom, the prime option?

I'm guessing you got a kit lens with the body - the 14-42? Why not get use the extra length of a 45-200 as they seem to go for about the money you have and gives you something else to play with thats affordable as you have covered, albeit with a zoom, the prime option?

To be honest, that's the way I'm leaning at the moment. I'm thinking get the 45-200mm now and then after I've got used to using the camera I'll have a better idea of what prime to go for, if I feel I need one.

I quite like the 45-200, it adds a good chunk of real estate onto the 14-42. Mine may be a little soft at the 200 end - probably more likely my pathological dislike of tripods is more likely the cause though.

yup ! that sounds like the best option tbh.

I'll get canon adapters soon just for fun to try sigma 100-300mm on. not much of a tele shooter but can always play with some new toys :D

IMO the 14-42 and 45-200 are probably some of the weakest lenses from Panasonic, but they are cheap

I know the budget lenses are not going to be the best in the world, but they're probably going to be OK for me in the short term. I can pick a 45-200 up for around £160 whereas although the 100-300 will be better, its nearly £400.
I know you get what you pay for, but £400 is a lot of money to and I cannot justify that on what will be my secondary lens.

Can someone assist me with my G3 please. I have recently purchased the Panny 100-300 lens and want to update the firmware.

I have downloaded it to the computer and then unzipped it and it the asks me where I want to save it to. I have picked the F drive which has the SD card in it but it doesn't seem to work.

I had a Nikon and never had any problems with firmware but have with this. Thanks in advance.

It may be easier to save the update to your computer, and then transfer the unpacked files to the root of the sd card. You then put the card into the camera and 'play'. Interested to learn how you get along with the 100-300.

Can someone assist me with my G3 please. I have recently purchased the Panny 100-300 lens and want to update the firmware.

I have downloaded it to the computer and then unzipped it and it the asks me where I want to save it to. I have picked the F drive which has the SD card in it but it doesn't seem to work.

I had a Nikon and never had any problems with firmware but have with this. Thanks in advance.

Ive managed it now thanks.

It may be easier to save the update to your computer, and then transfer the unpacked files to the root of the sd card. You then put the card into the camera and 'play'. Interested to learn how you get along with the 100-300.

I will do I did take some photos yesterday of some pigeons and when I have looked at them on the computer they are not great so hopefully this update will help a bit.

Quite tempted to update from my GF1 but I can't really decide what to go for, if anything. The GX1 seems like the natural choice, but I do really like the flipout screen on the G1, and the built in VF is definitely useful. I guess I need to go and have a look at some of them in a shop.

That Olympus 45 1.8 is very tempting too.

Just heard from oldboy (David). He's well and looking forward to getting out with his camera again soon.

Ah good, thanks for doing that. :)

Just heard from oldboy (David). He's well and looking forward to getting out with his camera again soon.

Taken a couple of weeks ago on route to my Sisters Village, using my GF1......This is Loch Eye and only about 3 miles from me....have been told I can get closer to it down a narrow one track road, so will will try that when the sun shines.

oldboy2000 said:
Taken a couple of weeks ago on route to my Sisters Village, using my GF1......This is Loch Eye and only about 3 miles from me....have been told I can get closer to it down a narrow one track road, so will will try that when the sun shines.

http://img191.imageshack.us/i/p1000721b.jpg/

What a lovely view, David. Glad you are well, and, like the rest of us, looking forward to getting out and about now the sun shines! :)

Nice to see you back David. It looks like you moved to a very nice place.(y)

ShrubMonkey said:
IMO the 14-42 and 45-200 are probably some of the weakest lenses from Panasonic, but they are cheap
They're not terrible by any means, but if I had to choose, I'd stick with the primes any day. With the GF2 I want to keep the size down, so that's a big selling point for me. Just got to add an Oly 45mm then I'll be set! :)

Will likely hang on to the 45-200 tho, just in case. Can't justify the cost of a 100-300 when it'd stay in my bag 95% of the time. It does sound like a great lens tho...

Hello all, took a mad fit a couple of weeks ago and sold up all my nikon gear (gripped D700, 24-70, etc) and bought a GX1 (got fed up with the size of all the gear). Three shots I took today of my wee son, seems a very good camera, takes a while to get used to after years of Nikons but does seem very good so far, taken with the standard 14-42 but gonna buy the 20mm soon:

P1000064Small.jpg

P1000068Small.jpg

P1000072Small.jpg

I haven't picked up a camera in six months and had little interest, but I've just been reading about the new Olympus OM-D.

Nice. Anyone thinking of going over to Olympus?

I haven't picked up a camera in six months and had little interest, but I've just been reading about the new Olympus OM-D.

Nice. Anyone thinking of going over to Olympus?

. . . its 6 months for me since I took any sort of picture. Seem to have lost my mojo . . . a new camera would do little for me? I dont like change, the Misses fight to get my clothes in the wash!

I'm just coming up for retirement, looking at the cameras, my Hazel is going into hospital in a couple of weeks, very long converless (up to 12 months?). So I'm thinking, gardening, close ups in the garden its a miniature jungle out there? The 14-45 lens is not a true macro, but a clip on job would do . . . what are they called retail for £40'ish?
CJS

Last edited:
CJS said:
. . . its 6 months for me since I took any sort of picture. Seem to have lost my mojo . . . a new camera would do little for me? I dont like change, the Misses fight to get my clothes in the wash!

I'm just coming up for retirement, looking at the cameras, my Hazel is going into hospital in a couple of weeks, very long converless (up to 12 months?). So I'm thinking, gardening, close ups in the garden its a miniature jungle out there? The 14-45 lens is not a true macro, but a clip on job would do . . . what are they called retail for £40'ish?
CJS

I think you mean the Raynox DCR 150 & 250 probably. But I believe they clip onto 55mm lenses upwards but I'm sure ive used mine on 52mm
They are a great and cheapish way to do macro.

I've had some success with close up filters. I have a set of Kood and I think they were something like £28.

Anyway, spotted this and liked the shine and the colours. I'd have been stretched to hand hold my DSLR at 1/16th second whilst crouching down.

_1040657-R.jpg

I don't know what you're involvement with these two lenses extends to, but I would suggest you are doing them a terrible injustice.

I have both and am very satisfied with them as 'cheap' lenses as you put it.

Find fault with my 'straight-from-the-camera' JPG's......if you can.

http://www.mu-43.com/f43/g3-gobsmacked-over-moon-happy-pig-p-p-pics-added-18086/

I'm pretty sure you've got a sharper copy of the 45-200 than me looking at those pictures. Mine seems quite soft at 200mm even on a tripod or with very fast shutter speeds.

CJS

A better way is to buy a 52mm/43mm step down filter ring. I got mine from ebay for £1.99. Its far easier than using the clip thing which comes with the Raynox. Sometimes with the clip on thing you get a shadow if using flash, and also its a bit clumsy to use.

The macro adapter lens is called a Raynox DCR-250. There is also another less powerful one called the Raynox DCR-150. They are excellent and work very well with the G series. I have both and find them very good.

Last edited:
Back