"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Just ordered a G3 from Amazon

Nice offer from Panasonic currently, running to the 31st August: TV series ‘How to Take Stunning Pictures’ on DVD, Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 3 editing software and 5 Year Warranty.

Last edited:
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it as I'm tempted to get one but also tempted by the GH2 and the rumors of a GH3.

The advantage I have is I'm single and my girlfriend is in Belgium at the mo. :LOL: No one minded when my Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 arrived the other day.

I own a 5Dmk2 but want an additional smaller camera that I can take to social events, maybe do some street shooting etc. I've been interested mostly by the Sony NEX5, GF1, and EPL-1, but now i'm seeing things like the G2 and 3, which interest me as they have a viewfinder, something I find quite important. Would the size difference between my 5D be major, as that's ideally what I need. Also i'm not keen on plastic bodys so am hoping the G1, 2 and 3 don't have them...

I'm leaning towards a GF1 with a 20mm lens. Seems to be the most recommended! Where can you still purchase from in the UK?

I'm leaning towards a GF1 with a 20mm lens. Seems to be the most recommended! Where can you still purchase from in the UK?

New, unused GF1 bodies still pop up on Amazon from time to time. Would probably have more trust in buying one there than from FleaBay.

I'm using a Olympus E-PL2 at the moment and I'm currently in the process of moving completely to Micro 4/3. I'm after an 'SLR' shaped body to compliment the PL2 for those times when space isn't a concern (and also as I'm getting a 100-300, which I'm sure will handle better on one of the Panasonics)

That said, which SLR style body from the Panasonic range is the one to go for? My main requirement would be AF speed and whichever has the most SLR like control to it (ie easy access to common settings, the least menu driven option)

There are so many models at different price points it's confusing to know which does what.

I'm fondling mine now...

...and it's mostly metal, I think. Difficult to tell these days. Whatever it's made of it's a solid little thing.

Rob, which are your favourite FD lenses?

The ones that get used the most: 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 135mm f/2.8, 200mm f/4 and 35-105 f/4.

New FD 50mm f1/.4 is a clear winner. I find it hard to take a bad photo with it. :)

FD 135mm f/2.5 is great (beautiful colour) but a bit bulky on an m4/3 body, so the New FD f/2.8 gets more use.

The 35-105 is a stonkingly good zoom, especially for its age. IMHO it's not far off the EF 70-200Ls.

The 200 f/4 is sharp out of the gate from f/4. I've been using it a lot.

35mm f/2 SSC (concave version with Thorium glass) is wonderful, but the radioactive glass yellows with age. Great for b/w, though - built in yellow filter. ;)

28mm f/2 is lovely, but the extra few mm on the 24mm f/2.8 means it gets sidelined perhaps more that it ought when I'm choosing a few lenses to go out with.

The 17mm is a little large and suffers CA, but very handy when I need the width. Probably my main candidate to get a direct replacement native m4/3 lens.

Travelling light, I'll take the 24mm, 50mm and 135mm with me. If I take only one lens, it'll be one of those three, more likely the 50mm, though I might take the 28mm f/2 over the 24mm.

The ones that get used the most: 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 135mm f/2.8, 200mm f/4 and 35-105 f/4.

New FD 50mm f1/.4 is a clear winner. I find it hard to take a bad photo with it. :)

FD 135mm f/2.5 is great (beautiful colour) but a bit bulky on an m4/3 body, so the New FD f/2.8 gets more use.

The 35-105 is a stonkingly good zoom, especially for its age. IMHO it's not far off the EF 70-200Ls.

35mm f/2 SSC (concave version with Thorium glass) is wonderful, but the radioactive glass yellows with age. Great for b/w, though - built in yellow filter. ;)

28mm f/2 is lovely, but the extra few mm on the 24mm f/2.8 means it gets sidelined perhaps more that it ought when I'm choosing a few lenses to go out with.

The 17mm is a little large and suffers CA, but very handy when I need the width. Probably my main candidate to get a direct replacement native m4/3 lens.

Travelling light, I'll take the 24mm, 50mm and 135mm with me. If I take only one lens, it'll be one of those three, more likely the 50mm, though I might take the 28mm f/2 over the 24mm.

Thanks Rob, looking to add to my 50 f1.8 and was looking for some guidance on what FD lenses are "good"

There is a GF1 and 20mm just posted in the classifieds with remaining warranty........if you are interested

Last edited:

So with the adapter and a lens from ebay I can have a decent 135mm f2.8 lens with manual focus for less than £100. Just played with my new toy - G3- and manual focus is pretty good.
Equivalent to 270mm so would have to be used on a tripod I guess?

Just got the G3, tried a 550D for a few months but just too big.

Thanks for info (y)

So with the adapter and a lens from ebay I can have a decent 135mm f2.8 lens with manual focus for less than £100. Just played with my new toy - G3- and manual focus is pretty good.
Equivalent to 270mm so would have to be used on a tripod I guess?

Just got the G3, tried a 550D for a few months but just too big.

Thanks for info (y)

I've just bought a 135mm albeit a Konica Hexanon and not a Canon, its usable handheld but I think I'd get much better results on a tripod, started carrying a Gorillapod and Ballhead around with me which is useful if theres somewhere to put it!

That's a couple of G3's.

I think that we need some user feedback :) I'm interested in how RAW's are at higher ISO's.

I'm just ordering some circular screw on ND's for my 25mm f0.95 as I don't fancy carrying my Cokin holder and slot in filters around.

My G3 arrived today, not really had much time to use it. It's my first csc camera so can't compare to any other models.

So far the auto focus speed is very impressive, even in low light. The 14-42 lens seems a little cheap compared to the quality of the body.

I think it's a good lens, good IS and no CA or distortion at all from what I could see. It's just the aperture range that disappoints but it's a good enough general purpose lens apart from that.

Hi everyone, i am new to both the forum & the G3 which i will be purchasing very soon (having had a short play with one). Does anyone have any tips for setting up (menus)etc i might need to keep asking some very basic (dumb) questions!!!!!!!!!.
Thanks for your time, Mark.

GH2 hack is up & running...the video performance now is astonishing up to 42 mbit sec...here's a video capture of my local high street straight off the sd card
5954193434_ca75cbb1bf_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone, i am new to both the forum & the G3 which i will be purchasing very soon (having had a short play with one). Does anyone have any tips for setting up (menus)etc i might need to keep asking some very basic (dumb) questions!!!!!!!!!.
Thanks for your time, Mark.

Hi Mark.

I'm looking forward to a few G3 user reviews so come back and tell us what you think of it.

Setting up? I use mine in aperture priority with pretty much all bells and whistles turned off and I use the EVF and that's about it... but I do like the auto ISO.

GH2 hack is up & running...the video performance now is astonishing up to 42 mbit sec...here's a video capture of my local high street straight off the sd card
5954193434_ca75cbb1bf_b.jpg

Ah sunny Syston !! You can't live too far from me britco,(Thurmaston)

Regards Toonie

Howdy neighbour...i live just down the road from where this footage was shot Toonie

I know it's in here somewhere but can anyone recommend a cheap remote for the GF1?

Cheers

Thanks both for the replies!

As an owner of a G1 from release I was considering upgrading to the new G3. I've had a play with a GF2 but found it too small to use comfitably with the zoom lens attached. Are there any G3 owners on here who could maybe help me with their 'hands on' knowledge at all please? :thinking:

There is some setting you have to change i think to tell camera no lens attached. I'm sure someone will come along and give you the exact details

As an owner of a G1 from release I was considering upgrading to the new G3. I've had a play with a GF2 but found it too small to use comfitably with the zoom lens attached. Are there any G3 owners on here who could maybe help me with their 'hands on' knowledge at all please? :thinking:
Anyone care to comment :shrug:

Yes RSMarco never had any problems buying anything through Amazon, Free delivery within 2-3 days & still works fine after about 18 months of use.(y)

Toonie

(y)

This may of already been discussed but looking at the G3, is this an upgrade to a GF1 or would it be a compliment?

Just wondering because I am starting a Photography course in September and I'm not sure if something like this would be better?

Back