"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

uzDyRJBY1rRaa0KcpYY2ashD9I_a1PX5BWa4bzNR6R0

Last edited:
hillwalkinggirl said:
Yes really pleased with it. It's as well made as my Optech Pro one, though obviously doesn't have the quick release attachments.

Thanks for the feedback!

Looking at getting a FD prime for my GH1 , seen a couple of 200 2.8 and 300 f4 , any thoughts or suggestions.

Julian

Depends what length you want I've heard the 135 f2.8 and 200 f2.8 are very good

Well for wildlife really Chris so long as poss :) , wondering if the 200 2.8 would suffice or the 300 f4 is the one to go for anyone with experience of these lens ?

Julian

Last edited:
I am having a few problems getting links to pictures to post on here from Flickr. I know I used to be able to do it but now I can't seem to work it out! Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

I am having a few problems getting links to pictures to post on here from Flickr. I know I used to be able to do it but now I can't seem to work it out! Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

Just click on photo, then where it says share, just choose grab the html/BBcode, make sure BB is ticked and correct size chosen, then copy.
Now go to TP and just paste. No need to select any icons on the top.

Just found the G3 body only at fotosense for £439. Topcashback do 1.51% cash back, not much but something. Don't know if this helps anyone?

£489 with 14-42mm lens at amazon - with lightroom 3 and 5 year gtee.
Amazon did have a £30 voucher offer but may have finished now?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-D...=UTF8&qid=1313528901&sr=8-1#productPromotions

Some bad reviews for fotosense on Shopping, Suppliers and Bargains section of this forum. I think I'd rather stick with Amazon. Just bought my G2 from there, never have any trouble with them and I got my £30 voucher which I put towards a new Manfrotto head. Just awaiting my copy of Lightroom now.

rusty said:
Well for wildlife really Chris so long as poss :) , wondering if the 200 2.8 would suffice or the 300 f4 is the one to go for anyone with experience of these lens ?

Julian

FWIW the new FD 200mm f/4 is a lot cheaper than the f/2.8 and very good at f/4. I've not got a 2.8 to compare, but i've heard those that do say that they both perform pretty much the same at f/4.

You might buy one to try the focal length without too much expense. It's also a lot lighter.

e2a: FDn 200mm f/4 at f/4 on a Panasonic G2

In Bloom by cybertect, on Flickr

f/4 or f/4.5 IIRC

Stop | Works by cybertect, on Flickr

Last edited:
FWIW the new FD 200mm f/4 is a lot cheaper than the f/2.8 and very good at f/4. I've not got a 2.8 to compare, but i've heard those that do say that they both perform pretty much the same at f/4.

You might buy one to try the focal length without too much expense. It's also a lot lighter.

e2a: FDn 200mm f/4 at f/4 on a Panasonic G2

In Bloom by cybertect, on Flickr

f/4 or f/4.5 IIRC

Stop | Works by cybertect, on Flickr

Much appreciated and something to think of .

Julian

Thats a great shot there. Lots of colour and very sharp! Now, i was thinking of buying a D90 :thinking: lol

It's about a 100% crop and the original is sharper as I'm rubbish at getting things to look sharp via photobucket.

That was taken with the G1?

What is it like in low light and how responsive is the AF?

Yes, G1.

I find the higher ISO to be ok, no more. It's ok up to about 1250 with just a touch of NR but by 1600 you need to apply more. I'm no wizz at processing but I still manage to get useable ISO 1600 shots with just basic NR in CS5 so processing hero's will do better.

I don't find focus speed to be an issue at all with my GF1+20mm f1.7 or G1 with 14-42mm but I'm now using a manual 25mm f0.95 lens on my G1 which means that I can keep the ISO down and shoot in low light easily, indoors at ISO 100-400 usually.

Another advantage of using a wide aperture lens is that the EVF remains nice to use even in low light whereas in if you're using a smaller aperture (or a slow lens) you get noise in the EVF when shooting in low light.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Panasonic software stopped third party batteries. I am about to buy a G3. Can I get a third party battery that works, if so, from where. Thanks for any help.

I read somewhere that Panasonic software stopped third party batteries. I am about to buy a G3. Can I get a third party battery that works, if so, from where. Thanks for any help.

Got spare from 7dayshop for my GH1 , works fine .

Julian

Looks great, and many thanks for the link. My GF2 and 14-42 is allegedly on its way today. Must admit the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 looks fab: http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=3104&PT_ID=780 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjjH2gCdKwU

rusty said:
Got spare from 7dayshop for my GH1 , works fine .

Julian

The GH1, GF1 and G1 allow the use of third party batteries.

The G2 with the current firmware *won't* work with third party batteries. Pretty sure the G3 and GF3 will be the same as the G2.

The GH1, GF1 and G1 allow the use of third party batteries.

The G2 with the current firmware *won't* work with third party batteries. Pretty sure the G3 and GF3 will be the same as the G2.

How much is a Panasonic battery as if it's too dear I may not buy even the camera/

Battery for G3 is around the 55 pound mark

http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.u...roductID=1339&intCategoryID=76&intMenuGroup=5

Mathers are generally a good guide to price

I've had several Panasonic cameras & I like them a lot, but when I read about the battery policy I always said I would not buy one if they went ahead & implemented it. If, as it seems I can't buy a cheap second battery then I will not buy their cameras again, unless they change their policy.

These people seem to think a £10-00 from Amazon works OK. Anyone tried them?

Last edited:
I've had several Panasonic cameras & I like them a lot, but when I read about the battery policy I always said I would not buy one if they went ahead & implemented it. If, as it seems I can't buy a cheap second battery then I will not buy their cameras again, unless they change their policy.

These people seem to think a £10-00 from Amazon works OK. Anyone tried them?

You have a D90. Is it miles ahead of the G2?

I don't have a D90 any more & I don't have a G2 so can't answer that. I have had the 10xzoom Panasonics & I'm looking to replace the last one with a G3.

You need to update your profile then.

Why are you buying the G3? I looked at one today and hated the EVF!!

Sounds good Andy Im getting more and more tempted !! How do you find the size aspect of it? I wondered if it might be awkward to hold.
I see you have a 40D as well so you must know what I am referring to with having to lug around the Canon kit!

I have big hands and i find it fine to hold. I don't like the strap as it's too thin and not long enough so I'm going to get a better strap from work next week. The G3 is certainly easier to lug around as it's small and weighs bugger all especially with a pancake on the front!!

I have big hands and i find it fine to hold. I don't like the strap as it's too thin and not long enough so I'm going to get a better strap from work next week. The G3 is certainly easier to lug around as it's small and weighs bugger all especially with a pancake on the front!!

How did you find the EVF? It seemed very slow to me and artificial (I know it is that).

How did you find the EVF? It seemed very slow to me and artificial (I know it is that).

I almost bought a G2 but I tried the EVF in Jessops and didn't really like it, so instead I've bought the add on viewfinder for my Olympus EP2 and it seems much closer to an optical viewfinder, not great in the dark though!

Back