"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Now I'm back in the fold again, I'm hoping for a decent fast(ish) standard zoom as I'm finally getting used to using non-primes again. They're uber handy for making short videos.

Anyone heard any rumours of a decent zoom, on the horizon?

Last edited:
I'm not up on current oly kit, do they do any similar pancake primes?

I may revisit them at some point, my EP-1 annoyed me with size (too bulky), no flash and I never got to grips with the handling, but some of the features were great, the electronic level and art filters spring to mind.

Was looking at some of the pics I took with it the other night and thinking "hmmm... Should I have sold it...". All straight out the camera too.

Oly do a 12mm, 17mm pancake type. Not sure about quality though but the 12mm is f2 and pricey, about £600!

I bought my E-PL2 to replace an E-PL1 which I bought after selling ( and missing) my GF1. I just couldn't find another GF1 at a decent price then. I love the E-PL2, its what the GF1 should have evolved into. The only thing I am not too keen on is the rotary dial around the 4 way switch. Too easy to press the buttons, but you get used to it.
It does deliver better jpegs than my G2 as well.
I did look at the EP2, but decided I needed a flash, and the rear screen is far better too.
Allan

New walkabout camera/lens combo

What do you think, fusion of Lumix G1 with Canon 100-400mm f4-5.6 lens?

Just a bit of fun, sure I'd get some strange looks :)

Can I ask what adapter you have, and is it any good? How much was it, if you don't mind me asking. Although I have the 100-400, I don't think I will be doing thiswith my new GF3, but you never know :D

It's just a generic M4/3 to EOS adapter I had thrown in with the G1 I purchased last year. Mounted on my 100-400 Canon zoom just for fun, no way I would want to use that setup :)

allanm said:
Oly do a 12mm, 17mm pancake type. Not sure about quality though but the 12mm is f2 and pricey, about £600!

I bought my E-PL2 to replace an E-PL1 which I bought after selling ( and missing) my GF1. I just couldn't find another GF1 at a decent price then. I love the E-PL2, its what the GF1 should have evolved into. The only thing I am not too keen on is the rotary dial around the 4 way switch. Too easy to press the buttons, but you get used to it.
It does deliver better jpegs than my G2 as well.
I did look at the EP2, but decided I needed a flash, and the rear screen is far better too.
Allan

Ouch! Be nice to get something wider than the 14mm tho, was using Siggy 10-20mm on my Nikon earlier and enjoying, but I think the Panny UWA is very pricey..

Anyone know if Tamron or Sigma have much in the way of m4/3's lenses? My feeling is probably not due to the need for yet another new lens design in addition to full frame and crop...

Ouch! Be nice to get something wider than the 14mm tho, was using Siggy 10-20mm on my Nikon earlier and enjoying, but I think the Panny UWA is very pricey..
Panny also do a 7-14mm. Even pricier!!
I think 14mm will be wide enough for me. I did have a Sigma 10-20 once on my D300. Great lens, but a bit of a novelty and I rarely used it once the initial excitement had died down.....

Matt, get the GF2, but hurry up, they will all have sold out soon..:naughty:

Allan

Ok...Im getting pestered with my mate who got his first SLR (Panasonic G3) and now wants a reasonable priced flash he can use...

I suggeted this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GN58-Flas...shUnits_JN&hash=item3a640793f7#ht_3724wt_1037

And a set of suitable triggers...to allow off camera shooting...also told him he cannot expect TTL unless he pays for a Panasonic Flas...so around £180...

Have I given him reasonable info...? I think so...but if someone can point me in a better direction Ill pass him the info...

THAN TELL HIM TO JOIN THE BLODDY FORUM...but as its new year Im being nice and easing him in...so any help would be much appreciated...(Im a Canon shooter)...

Thanks

STEVIER

postcardcv said:
let me know if you ever want to move it on as I'd quite like to try a couple of my Canon lenses on my GF1.

Seeing as I got it for nothing, I'm going to keep it as I'll probably use it in the future.

Seeing as I got it for nothing, I'm going to keep it as I'll probably use it in the future.

Does it have a brand name, I was thinking of trying a few of my smaller lenses and would like to get one that is tried and tested.

Canon EF lenses have an electronic aperture so you will shoot wide open unless you rip off the lens from a canon body while it's stopped down.

vaizki said:
Canon EF lenses have an electronic aperture so you will shoot wide open unless you rip off the lens from a canon body while it's stopped down.
Are the EF lenses the crop sensor ones? Can't believe I'm learning about canikon differences on a Panasonic thread. Irony ;)

Am sure I mentioned it before, but the nikon to m4/3's "G" adaptor has a very crude method of aperture control in the form of a lever, but I think that's due to the aperture being electro-mechanically controlled by the body. Does beg the question of why didn't they just leave an aperture ring on the "G" lenses, but hey ho :)

I only had my G3 breifly before I lost my job and had to sell so had no real chance to try any sports. I like to take pics of horse jumping and was wondering if the G3 is capable of tracking movement?

How is the 45mm lens Julian? You happy with the results?

Wish I could use it, both it and my new 100-300mm. Hopefully will be going out in a little while, best day of the holidays today, so should get something. I'll let you know ;)

I know how you feel. I've not really had chance to use my new GF3 yet.

Anyway, I a quick question. Should I have had a body cap and lens mount cap with my kit? It's just I've been looking in the classifieds and there are a few kit lenses for sale, stating no box (as part of kit) but includes both end caps. My camera came in the box with the 14mm already attached to it. It looks right, as there isn't a space for a separate lens to go in the box anyway. And there are no 'spare' caps in the box. The box was factory sealed when I bought it. I'm not too bothered if there aren't meant to be any caps, but would be if there should!!

Had a few mins to have a play with the GF3 this afternoon. Decided to have a go at photographing one of my Xmas pressies.

Jenson Button - Brawn Mercedes Brazil 2009 by gf3tog, on Flickr

Shot with the 20mm pancake. Backdrop is a t-shirt draped over a gorillapod. Fibres all over that and the car which you just don't see until it's in Lightroom. :bonk: I could clone them out but can't be much arsed. :D

Not a good day, didn't get out until the end of the day....

6621998833_93d40bca93_z.jpg

First test shot with my new Olympus 45mm f/1.8 Zuiko lens mounted on G3. Light was fading fast and I couldn't walk back any further to get more of the hull in shot, taken wide open (split toned in PS)

Last edited:
Not a good day, didn't get out until the end of the day....

6621998833_93d40bca93_z.jpg

First test shot with my new Olympus 45mm f/1.8 Zuiko lens mounted on G3. Light was fading fast and I couldn't walk back any further to get more of the hull in shot, taken wide open (split toned in PS)

Lovely shot. Cheers for ****ing on my fire. :razz:

Your processing adds a lot of character to your boat shots Julian.

Using the G3 etc and using a 5D Mk2, Julian, would you ever just stick to the micro 4/3rds now?

I had both the newly acquired G3 and the infra red converted G1 out today for a bit fresh air.
My favourite shots of the day...

G3
6622170129_031caac46f_b.jpg
[/url] P1010763 1 by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]
G1
6622112007_5994c00ca2_b.jpg
[/url] P1040248 1 by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]
G1 Colour channels switched.
6622122007_6376506b06_b.jpg
[/url] P1040248 2 by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]
G3
6622161045_9a433041e8_b.jpg
[/url] P1010758 1 by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]
G1
6622050235_f8dce9b77f_b.jpg
[/url] P1040238 1 by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]
G1 Colour channels switched.
6622055837_28345e51bb_b.jpg
[/url] P1040238 2 by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

intel86 said:
Using the G3 etc and using a 5D Mk2, Julian, would you ever just stick to the micro 4/3rds now?

Not at this point, love my 5D2 and the creativity thats possible from the lenses I have. Saying that I expect to take more and more shots with the m4/3 gear now I've built a nice little selection of lenses. 90-95% of my photos are taken when out with the family, where I may have minutes to take a shot. Having the m4/3 equipment makes life easier as I don.t have so much heavy gear to lug around.

'Tis a pity I can't leave a tripod bracket on the G series cameras like I do on my DSLR bodies :(

I had both the newly acquired G3 and the infra red converted G1 out today for a bit fresh air.
My favourite shots of the day...

Sweet!

Where did you get your G1 converted? And how much did it cost?

Might get my GF1 done.

Sweet!

Where did you get your G1 converted? And how much did it cost?

Might get my GF1 done.

There are two companies that convert them one is Protech and the other is ACS Advanced Camera Services, I have had cameras converted by both of them, ACS is more expensive at about £300 ... :eek: and the one I would recommend.

Looks like Panasonic have extended the cashback promotion to 22nd Jan.
http://www.lumixlifestyle.co.uk/cashback/lumix-g/

Good spot! They always seem to have some sort of cashback or other offer running, or if they don't it's a good idea to wait a week or so until they do. Something I've learnt from buying a few bodies and lenses from them last year.. I wonder if the GX1 is included now? The drop down to select the camera seems to have disappeared.

As I said in another thread, they seemed to have broke the form when they updated it. However, just had another look, and I think it's been fixed. The drop down is there now, but the GX1 is not included.

Back