"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

As I said in another thread, they seemed to have broke the form when they updated it. However, just had another look, and I think it's been fixed. The drop down is there now, but the GX1 is not included.

Good news. Could do without a reason to buy a GX1, I can't afford it!

I is being so thick.

Just looked at the Panasonic cashback link, with drop down menu, and trying to work out the figure for G3 with kit lens (it say 75 euros which is £67) and GF3 with kit lens which is (at this point I am sure I doing something wrong).

I have an excuse as I have been very poorly over the past week and had thought I had missed my chance with the cashback.

Can anyone help a poor old b****r in a cronky state.

:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

To get the price in £'s you need to at least fill in the country field in the address part of the form.

There are two companies that convert them one is Protech and the other is ACS Advanced Camera Services, I have had cameras converted by both of them, ACS is more expensive at about £300 ... :eek: and the one I would recommend.

Hmmm... a little more than I hoped. Still tempted though! Thanks.

To get the price in £'s you need to at least fill in the country field in the address part of the form.

Thanks and now it makes sense (y)

I now have the Panny 14mm....................it is weeny:D

I have always loved a good shutter sound:), of the cameras I have had my favourite was the 5Dmk1 very reminiscent of the old 35mm cameras.

Of the G series cameras I have at the moment the GF1, G1, sound so sweet but the G3 is not so sweet and sounds more like plastic making contact rather that the sweet click of metal making contact:)

Hi Mal,

Do you mean a tripod QR plate?

I do mean the QR plates Dave, I have a full collection of Manfrotto plates for my lenses with collars and 3 canon bodies (depletion planned) but leaving one on the G series permanently is not possible without the faff of charging batteries and removing cards...well it is a faff for me:D.

You can leave a Manfrotto QR plate on a G3, just. I do on mind.

Sorry, I should have added without obstructing the battery door

Great shots BTW (y)

Thanks Dave, early days with my full attention on the M4/3 system but impressed so far, especially the (marmite) IR conversion.
Just need to take stock of what I have, initial thoughts are to sell the GF1, I think it is such a lovely camera but I was never keen on the LVF stuck on the top compared to the G1/2/3.
Not decided on which tripod to use yet, the heavier Manfrotto CF with umpteen QR plates or the ultra light Velbon Luxi f with just the one plate.

Last edited:
I now have the Panny 14mm....................it is weeny:D

How fast is it to focus on the G3?

I always loved the 14mm on my GF1, had the Oly 45mm on my G3, and can't bear to go back to the relatively slow 20mm focus on my latest G3.

How fast is it to focus on the G3?

I always loved the 14mm on my GF1, had the Oly 45mm on my G3, and can't bear to go back to the relatively slow 20mm focus on my latest G3.

It is quiet and faster compared to the 20mm and performs fast enough for anyone on the G3.

It is quiet and faster compared to the 20mm and performs fast enough for anyone on the G3.

Thanks for that. I might try another 14mm then. It would come in handy as I seem to be taking more and more videos these days as well.

I recently bought the 14mm to go with my 20mm. I was hesitant but the FoV is different enough to justify swapping them. It's not quite as sharp or fast as the 20mm but it's close. It has no moving parts so much quicker to grab focus, and it's significantly smaller!

Hmm, need to get another one before I go skiing then. Don't fancy being poked in the back with the kit zoom when I inevitably crash!!

Seems I've missed a couple in the classifieds before I've realised I need yet another one, lol.

Hmm, need to get another one before I go skiing then. Don't fancy being poked in the back with the kit zoom when I inevitably crash!!

Seems I've missed a couple in the classifieds before I've realised I need yet another one, lol.

Keep an eye on AV forums the last two went for £116 delivered :)..... soon after I paid £130:bonk:

Doh indeed! I just registered to discover I've missed another on at that price as well today. Thanks for the tip - I'll keep an eye out.

Oops, that might have been me :)
Bought one today on there as I'm not getting on with the 14-45 and want to go all prime.

hillwalkinggirl said:
I'm thinking of getting the Olympus 45mm 1.8 m4/3 lens. Has anyone tried one of these on the Panasonic G series. If so how did they find it?

I purchased one in the past week for use on my G3 and G1, not had much chance to use it yet. But seems very nice addition to my m4/3 gear slotting in above my 14mm, 20mm. I also purchased a 100-300 to complete my lens lineup

One of the first shots with my new Olympus 45mm f/18 lens mounted on G3
6621998833_93d40bca93_z.jpg

Last edited:
My tiny 14mm lens arrived today and was waiting for me when I got home tonight. Too dark and windy to take it out but I'll give it a bit of a workout tomorrow.
Did I mention it was tiny?

Allan

The Olympus 45mm 1.8 is meant to be one of the sharpest lenses available but you get no IS on Panasonic bodies, though I've read mixed reviews about how useful that actually is..

For about the same price you can get the new Panasonic 45-175mm, it's still reasonable sharp but not as fast, though does feature OIS.

I'm slightly torn between which I'd use more, the faster 45mm or the length the 45-175mm offers.

Just starting to play around with a couple of old canon fd lenses on my G2. I'm struggling a bit to get perfect focus using MF. I know that I can use the MF assist to magnify the image but indoors this doesn't really help as the quality is not great but I was wondering if there is any sort of focus confirmation setting ( as on some DSLR's) that I haven't managed to find on the G2?

Just starting to play around with a couple of old canon fd lenses on my G2. I'm struggling a bit to get perfect focus using MF. I know that I can use the MF assist to magnify the image but indoors this doesn't really help as the quality is not great but I was wondering if there is any sort of focus confirmation setting ( as on some DSLR's) that I haven't managed to find on the G2?

If there is I haven't found it, at least on my G3. Most cheaper DSLRs don't feature that though.. I didn't have it on my old Oly e410.

I have an old Canon FD lens too and while it's fun to use I find that if I use f1.8 the shallow depth of field means it's easy to get the focus off, especially on a moving target. I had planned to take it traveling but going to replace it with a native lens for the AF and lighter weight.

anthonys said:
If there is I haven't found it, at least on my G3. Most cheaper DSLRs don't feature that though.. I didn't have it on my old Oly e410.

I have an old Canon FD lens too and while it's fun to use I find that if I use f1.8 the shallow depth of field means it's easy to get the focus off, especially on a moving target. I had planned to take it traveling but going to replace it with a native lens for the AF and lighter weight.

Glad it's not just me!

AFAIK the only olympus/Panasonic hat'll give focus confirmation on manual lenses is the elderly OM30. Certainly no digital ones do, you don't get it when mnaually focussing native lenses either.

Oops, that might have been me :)
Bought one today on there as I'm not getting on with the 14-45 and want to go all prime.

haha. Hope you enjoy it anyway. I've managed to bag another one over there as well this evening - so all is not lost.

Obviously must be some kind of exodus of people getting rid of them. Not sure why, I loved the first one I had. I will get a longer prime soon though.

Got my eye on the oly 45mm next!

Hello all. Recently bought a Lumix GF3. Here's some stills from paris I took using a Voigtlander 25mm lens.

I mainly work with video so ended up selling my Canon 60D for a dedicated camcorder. Found I really missed taking stills though so got something smaller. Really impressed with the quality so far for such a little thing, although I don't know how much longer I'll have this lens as I'm probably going to offload or trade it for some Zeiss stuff I can use on both the video camera AND the compact. .

Metro by Soma1975, on Flickr

Eiffel Tower by Soma1975, on Flickr

P1010241 by Soma1975, on Flickr

P1010230 by Soma1975, on Flickr

Padlocks of Love 2 by Soma1975, on Flickr

That's some stunning photography Soma. Welcome to the thread :)

I wish I could have got a Voigtlander 25mm when I had my G2. It's a stunning lens.

I've sold my G2 now but still have a lot of affection for it, hence me keeping tabs on this thread.

I used to have FD 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 and 200mm f-summat on my G2.

I never had that many problems with up to 50mm focusing, especially zooming in the live view. The 200mm was a struggle though.

Maybe try shooting in burst mode.

Cheers for the welcome fella. Tbh I was still mucking about trying to understand what the camera could do while on a day trip away so I'm not gonna claim any credit for essentially slapping all the buttons and hoping for the best. The GF3 and the Voigtlander seemed to do the business without me screwing it up too much ;)

soma said:
Hello all. Recently bought a Lumix GF3. Here's some stills from paris I took using a Voigtlander 25mm lens.

I mainly work with video so ended up selling my Canon 60D for a dedicated camcorder. Found I really missed taking stills though so got something smaller. Really impressed with the quality so far for such a little thing, although I don't know how much longer I'll have this lens as I'm probably going to offload or trade it for some Zeiss stuff I can use on both the video camera AND the compact. .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sneakyeye/6558482711/
Metro by Soma1975, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sneakyeye/6558470137/
Eiffel Tower by Soma1975, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sneakyeye/6558457449/
P1010241 by Soma1975, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sneakyeye/6558451857/
P1010230 by Soma1975, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sneakyeye/6558448785/
Padlocks of Love 2 by Soma1975, on Flickr

That voigtlander looks like a beauty of a lens, wow!

Cheers, Shrubmonkey. It's easily my favourite lens ever for stills and it looks pretty special with video on the Panasonic AF101 as well. I'm just gutted they don't offer a Nikon or Canon mount version that I could have used across all my cameras as then I'd keep it.

It's not just the fit though as it's a MFT design and on a Canon / Nikon with a bigger than MFT sensor it wouldn't give a big enough image.

Back