"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Looking at the large size version on flickr I'd say it does look over sharpened. Looking around the fine branch detail and that of the water in the fountain. Over a year ago I discovered the high pass filter for sharpening (which I use prior to resizing and last step of the workflow), never looked back since.

Thanks Julian, will have a go at that(y)

Thanks Julian, will have a go at that(y)

Just to add, I normally use High pass radius of 1.2 pixels. Then tweak the harshness of the effect by the layer blend mode, Overlay = normal, Soft light = less, Hard light = more pronounced.

Not posted anything for a long time. Still loving my GF1 and 20mm. I took a 14-40 to Dartmoor in August and it never left the B&B room, the Panny is just easier to carry around for the odd candid, unfortunately the better half is never impressed once she realises she is the subject in question....

NOT a Fraggle by IamJno, on Flickr

Grump by IamJno, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just to add, I normally use High pass radius of 1.2 pixels. Then tweak the harshness of the effect by the layer blend mode, Overlay = normal, Soft light = less, Hard light = more pronounced.

Brilliant Julian! never used the high pass filter before, had a quick play on a pic, so far so good thanks(y)

Eventually getting my Panny 100-300 lens on Wednesday I hope.
Anyone shot any sucessful photos of BIF using the above lens and a GF 1. I'm not expecting wonders but just curious if it is do-able with the GF1.
Any sample BIF photos would be appreciated.

I wonder Peter if disabling the preview would make any difference to the blackouts between shots. The GF 1 does seem slow between shots. I'll need to experiment with the burst mode and AFC with the new toy arrives.

Anyone else seen the announcement about the Panasonic MFT lens accessories?
I'm quite interested in the UWA, fisheye and macro as I wouldn't want to buy a specific lens for these (the UWAs for MFT aren't cheap!). No interest in the teleconverter - I don't use the 14-42 kit zoom at all (too slow compared to the 14 / 20 primes) so would just get the 45-175x instead.

I was looking at third party UWA convertors only the other day so this is a timely announcement for me. This, together with the fast zooms already in development, show that Panasonic is listening to consumers and is well ahead of the competition for ILC lenses. If only their body-design people did the same...

Tricky on phone (saw link on work PC but can't post to forums from that).
But it was on front page of DPReview.

I thought it was going to be a new rage of lenses, I'd rather have a dedicated lens than a converter to turn one lens into something it is not meant to be as there must be a compromise in IQ.

True but it keeps the GF series pocketable. I don't want to end up with tons of lenses as I was with the DSLR. A lot depends on price and how IQ copes with the extra element tagged on.

I miss my old 10-20 and that wasn't even the sharpest.

a few of my recent photos...

one with and old MF Helios on the GF2

6674247999_d191b8ec8d_b.jpg

a couple with the GF1 and 20 f1.7

6674246387_da210f1e5e_b.jpg

6674245799_f489f43ab2_b.jpg

and one with the G1 and 100-300

6674247251_09e72471b1_b.jpg

I already have a GF2 Peter. :D Nice little camera it is, but as I am selling all my DSLR gear I want to invest in a GH2 as well mainly for it's amazing video when used with the hack.

Just sold my Nikon as i couldnt get on with the button / menu as used to Canon!! lol##

Anyway, seriously considering buying either a G3 or a NX11. If not, then i may very well look for a used Canon 40D!!

Can anyone recommend a good M42 to M4/3 adaptor?
There are loads on ebay and I don't know which to get. I don't want to spend more than £10-20 and I want one that is as compact as possible so as not to add too much bulk.

EMA747 said:
Can anyone recommend a good M42 to M4/3 adaptor?
There are loads on ebay and I don't know which to get. I don't want to spend more than £10-20 and I want one that is as compact as possible so as not to add too much bulk.
I have a couple of kiwifotos adaptors from amazon and find them perfectly decent. I've not got an m42 to m4/3 so can't vouch, but the quality of the ones I have has been fine.

Thanks Danny and Ron. I think I will just go with whichever has the best feedback and costs the least if they are all pretty much the same.

What do you get with the genuine Panasonic one for the extra £100+? I'm not going to be buying one of those I'm just curious.

Thanks Danny and Ron. I think I will just go with whichever has the best feedback and costs the least if they are all pretty much the same.

What do you get with the genuine Panasonic one for the extra £100+? I'm not going to be buying one of those I'm just curious.

A lighter wallet?

Is the 14-42mm X available in the UK yet? I'm thinking of getting one for my GF3 (even though I have not used it yet!!) to go on holiday with, keeping the camera compact. All the retailers I've looked at don't seem to be carrying any stock. I think MAthers is the cheapest, pluse there £60 cashback on it until 22nd Jan. I've sent them a mail last night asking when they expect stock, but have yet to receive a reply.

Is the 14-42mm X available in the UK yet? I'm thinking of getting one for my GF3 (even though I have not used it yet!!) to go on holiday with, keeping the camera compact. All the retailers I've looked at don't seem to be carrying any stock. I think MAthers is the cheapest, pluse there £60 cashback on it until 22nd Jan. I've sent them a mail last night asking when they expect stock, but have yet to receive a reply.

Checked SRS? They seem to be following mathers pricing... You can always buy a gx1 withe the x zoom kit and sell the body.

Well im in the club now just purchased a G3 with 14-42 kit lens from Mathers of Lancashire for £450 plus £40 cashback. They also gave me a copy there and then of Lightroom 3 which was part of the deal.

Back