"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Starastin said:
any nonsony mount for manual stuff . and Metz is probably best price/performance TTL flash. I'm getting the small one too with the ttl cord. going to be sweet for street photography ! :D

I have the Metz 45. It's TTL but not manual. For the price range a the time I had to decide between..and opted for TTL only.

Starastin said:
that's the huge one isn't it ?

TTL only isn't not a good option though :(

No your right ... It seemed that ones which had both were more expensive...as always!

EMA747 said:
All this talk of flashes has got me wanting to add one to my M43 kit. Which ones work with Panasonic camera, namely GF2?
I have the little metz 24, which works a treat in TTL but has no manual mode, and you can't dial in exposure comp on the GF2, annoyngly. It bounces but doesn't swivel. TBH I hardly use it thanks to lovely fast primes, but it's small enough to leave in my bag should I need it.

Only cost fifty quid from jessops, so can't complain, and if I want manual I could always try sticking my Yongnuo on it for a giggle. The flash would be bigger than the camera :) Wonder if my el cheapo radio triggers would work? Hmmm...

Wow, went out with my 100-300 on my G3 today for the first time since applying the the lens firmware update and I was amazed. The image stabilisation was amazingly rock solid. Peter how have you found it? Given the crazy length I'd have to say its the best IS I have experienced.

GH2 with 7-14:

BM4.jpg

Hi All

A few more images taken with the GX1 and 14-42 X lens.The pair make a really nice combo.

The new "Navvies Bridge" in Workington.This is the new £1.7 million replacement for the one that collapsed during the floods of 2009.That's 2 bridges back in action.Only the main road bridge to complete now.
P1010296297298299300301Enhance-L.jpg

P101018456789Enhancer-L.jpg

HM Prison Cardiff
P10008868788899091Enhancer-L.jpg

Roath Park Lighthouse,Cardiff.
P10100070809101112Enhancer-L.jpg

Off to Chester and Liverpool next week for a 4 day photography break.A good chance to really try out the combo.Happy with the results of everything I've thrown at it upto now.

Cheers
Gary

@ Glenn - Nice super wide shot. With the 14mm pancake I managed to get a fair bit into my shots of the British museum but that 7-14 lens is suuuuuuper wide lol. If only I could justify the high price....I'm sure it's well worth the money though.

@ Gary - Really like the lighthouse shot. Something about the blue door and blue water really works well.

Has anyone tried shooting video with either of the new power zooms (I assume that they mainly made them for video use)? If so I'd be interested to hear how they perform, is the zoom smooth enough for video and does it make a sound that is picked up by the mic? I do wish they put a mic port on all ofthe models....

I've been using the 14-42mm X for video on the GF3 and I've been very pleased with it, unlike the 14mm/20mm primes it is stabilised which makes it much better for video and the zoom is very smooth and quiet. My only annoyance is the zoom lever is in a bit of a fiddly position, I wish they'd added a zoom control round the shutter like many compacts use so I could shoot single handed.

John

Wow, went out with my 100-300 on my G3 today for the first time since applying the the lens firmware update and I was amazed. The image stabilisation was amazingly rock solid. Peter how have you found it? Given the crazy length I'd have to say its the best IS I have experienced.

Yeah I'm also very impressed with the OIS on the 100-300, well I'm impressed with the lens as a whole (well apart from the annoying lens cap which doesn't like to stay on). However I am considering selling it and all my other Panasonic gear... I have been offered a Canon 300 f2.8 (I've always fancied one) but lots of stuff would need to go to fund it. It's a tough choice :thinking:

Yeah I'm also very impressed with the OIS on the 100-300, well I'm impressed with the lens as a whole (well apart from the annoying lens cap which doesn't like to stay on). However I am considering selling it and all my other Panasonic gear... I have been offered a Canon 300 f2.8 (I've always fancied one) but lots of stuff would need to go to fund it. It's a tough choice :thinking:

Wow that's a change around, 300 f2.8, very nice glass but sounds like a big sacrifice, how often would you really use it ?

Been out with my 100-300 again today, I just love looking through the EVF and triggering the IS, it reminds me of using my wife's Canon IS binoculars, fantastic!

Wow that's a change around, 300 f2.8, very nice glass but sounds like a big sacrifice, how often would you really use it ?

That's the nagging doubt... I do love photographing birds and have always fancied 300 f2.8 lens. I am looking at a Sigma which I cold buy and keep the Panasonics but the Canon is tempting. If I do go for it then it means going back o the 40D 100-400 combo as my lightweight walkabout set up.

If I do go for it then it means going back o the 40D 100-400 combo as my lightweight walkabout set up.

Lightweight? Hardly, it was the weight of this combo that moved me to m4/3 in the first place.

I'd stick with the 100-300 myself.

chrism_scotland said:
7-14mm does look a cracking lens, its quite tempting actually as Kerso (Ian Kerr) sells it at a decent price, although I'm tempted to pickup the 25mm first!

Damn £669, tempting :)

Just seen the G3 body only on Amazon for £328. That seems a very good price.

Tempting to buy the G3 and sell my G2. It's the handling I'm not sure about. It is a cracking camera though.

A question for those other GX1 owners out there, possible other Panasonic G? owners. There are two custom settings on the Mode Dial and two button accessible Function Buttons (on the GX1 at least). Have you assigned anything to them?

I know I haven't and that I am missing something. Grateful to know what you've done with them - if anything.

Tempting to buy the G3 and sell my G2. It's the handling I'm not sure about. It is a cracking camera though.

I've been watching used Pannies in the for sale section here and interest in them is a little... relaxed at times. I've been mulling over selling both my GF1+G1 and getting a G3 but at the price the earlier cameras are going for (if they go at all) it hardly seems worth while selling. May as well keep them as back up.

A question for those other GX1 owners out there, possible other Panasonic G? owners. There are two custom settings on the Mode Dial and two button accessible Function Buttons (on the GX1 at least). Have you assigned anything to them?

I know I haven't and that I am missing something. Grateful to know what you've done with them - if anything.

Can't think of anything to put on mine either.Once you have set everything up in the menus for your style of shooting all the other important functions are available via a single button press.

Gary

The 7-14mm is one of the main reasons I bought into micro 4/3 as I adored the Olympus 7-14mm on classic 4/3. However the Olympus lens is bulky particularly as it needs to be paired with one of the E-x bodies to balance it properly which wasn't ideal when carrying for long periods of time in my hand. The tiny Panasonic 7-14mm just feels ridiculous when you take it out of the box as it's so tiny and light, coupled up with the lightweight GHx camera it can be comfortably carried in hand for hours.

The ultrawide field of view can be odd at times but carefully used it's very handy being able to squeeze so much into a picture particularly when shooting indoors or to produce a more unique viewpoint. It's quite amusing when people ask me where a photo was taken despite it being a landmark they have seen many, many times but the way it's been distorted confuses people at first glance.

John

I hate you guys :LOL: all this talk of G3's & GX1's I'm supposed to be getting a new computer but now I'm now wondering should I just get extra ram and put the rest to possibly a G3.
I currently have a GF1 20mm pancake lens and panny 100-300 lens. Is there really a significant difference on using the G3 with the 100-300 lens than using the same lens on a GF1 ?

From what I can see on comparison charts is there is not a great heck of a difference between the two camera's other than a extra 3.8mp and some cosmetic stuff...flip out screen etc.

I might be wrong but is the upgrade really worth it ?

Oh dear, all this talk about the 7-14mm and I've caved in and bought one. Has been a very expensive few weeks with a GX1, Olympus 45mm, Voigtlander 25mm, Panasonic 14-42PZ and now this! I am hiding the credit card for a while (and the statement from the wife!!)

I hate you guys :LOL: all this talk of G3's & GX1's I'm supposed to be getting a new computer but now I'm now wondering should I just get extra ram and put the rest to possibly a G3.
I currently have a GF1 20mm pancake lens and panny 100-300 lens. Is there really a significant difference on using the G3 with the 100-300 lens than using the same lens on a GF1 ?

From what I can see on comparison charts is there is not a great heck of a difference between the two camera's other than a extra 3.8mp and some cosmetic stuff...flip out screen etc.

I might be wrong but is the upgrade really worth it ?

Personally I think the G3 is a much better camera to use othe 100-300 on, the EVF allows you to hold the set up to your eye which I find much easier to keep steady. Also the better high ISO performance means you can push it up to get higher shutter speeds when needed and still get very clean results.

Back