"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Have you assigned anything to them?

I know I haven't and that I am missing something. Grateful to know what you've done with them - if anything.

I was trying to think of a good use for them myself. Ive assigned the function buttons and that seems to have covered everything.

My only though was, if and when i come to use the viewfinder, you loose the touch screen functions so maybe the dial will come into play then... ?

am I rightin thinking that technically the G3 and GX1 are almost the same?

On paper yes, but there is definitely a difference in IQ - not massive though, Whether thats worth the extra monies only you can decide....

I personally went for the GX1 for the size. Having something that would fit in my pocket was high on the list of 'wants'.

I bought the optional view finder, which is great but im finding i dont need it. Maybe when i buy a 100-300 lens the viewfinder will help stability on handheld shots. (as i think its easy to lock your arms with the camera to your face)

Last edited:
I'm four days away from purchasing a GX1 with power zoom, in gunmetal grey, and can't wait :) so keep up the very informative threads gents !

just got a G1 on ebay..used
my present camera is the e-420 but came with a 17.5-45 lens
i havent really got used to the mirror lag and vibration on the oly and look forward to som quiet and vibration free low speed shots...i hope
any advice greatly received
will now sell
the olly e420
the FZ7
and my first digi the olly C765 uz
to cover the cost of the latest toy
cheers
geof

ricky1981 said:
Oh dear, all this talk about the 7-14mm and I've caved in and bought one. Has been a very expensive few weeks with a GX1, Olympus 45mm, Voigtlander 25mm, Panasonic 14-42PZ and now this! I am hiding the credit card for a while (and the statement from the wife!!)

Wow, that's a big spending session, I'm still thinking about the 7-14 as Kerso price is nice

I ordered half from importers and the rest from eBay, prices over here in NZ are ridiculous. I bought the 7-14mm for $1200 (NZ) and the cheapest over here is $2000, even second hand they go for $1300-1400.

The situation for me currently is that I'm considering getting rid of my DSLR kit as I find I'm not using it much due to the size and weight of it. I tend to keep going back to my trusty Panny FZ7, but I'm now stuck in that undecided area where I'm not sure whether to go down the G series route or upgrade the FZ7 to something like the FZ45 or FZ150.

I thought that as the G1 kits can be picked up pretty cheaply these days, I could give it a whirl, but I'm not sure if its worth it as I can't afford prime lenses at the moment, I'll be using the kit lens.

Thoughts anyone?

As small and amazing as my G2 is I really need something that will fit in my pocket. The Panasonic LX5 looks a good choice. Anything else I should look at?

Cheers.

GX1+ 20mm / 14-42 X

LX5 hasn't got great reviews really, maybe an XZ1 or X10 if you really don't want an interchangeable lens camera.

Mandoo said:
The situation for me currently is that I'm considering getting rid of my DSLR kit as I find I'm not using it much due to the size and weight of it. I tend to keep going back to my trusty Panny FZ7, but I'm now stuck in that undecided area where I'm not sure whether to go down the G series route or upgrade the FZ7 to something like the FZ45 or FZ150.

I thought that as the G1 kits can be picked up pretty cheaply these days, I could give it a whirl, but I'm not sure if its worth it as I can't afford prime lenses at the moment, I'll be using the kit lens.

Thoughts anyone?

I have gone through this issue (have a 7D with 24-105mm which is my walkabout) and am about to purchase a gx1 with power zoom as in my humble opinion it seems like an excellent choice in terms of size and quality. Going to digital depot as their service is superb :)

I have gone through this issue (have a 7D with 24-105mm which is my walkabout) and am about to purchase a gx1 with power zoom as in my humble opinion it seems like an excellent choice in terms of size and quality. Going to digital depot as their service is superb :)

I've been there too... Was using Canon gear and decided to dabble with something smaller, after going round the houses I've ended up with a small shoulder bag holding a G3, GF1, 20f1.7, 100-300 and a flash which weighs a lot less than the equivalent set up in Canon gear. However I'm now struggling with running two systems, I keep looking at new lenses for the Panasonic to cover more of the stuff I like to photograph (I fancy a 45 f1.8 and a macro at least). So do I buy more stuff for the Panasonics and end up carrying more gear (kind of defeats the point for me), or go back to just shooting Canon. I'm currently taking a week off from the Panasonics to see how it is going back to a full DSLR kit.

GX1+ 20mm / 14-42 X

LX5 hasn't got great reviews really, maybe an XZ1 or X10 if you really don't want an interchangeable lens camera.

Thanks for mentioning those two. I was totally unaware of them. Looks like the LX5 may have moved down my list a couple of spots. The Fuji looks very nice.

EDIT: The GX1 is out of my price range - I'm hoping to be able to basically swap my G2 outfit for a compact. Putting the 20mm on the G2 might bring the size down enough I suppose and would give great results. Expensive though and probably still overkill.

Last edited:
I think sometimes you get bogged down with lenses and brain washed into thinking i can only take a certain picture with a certain lens.

im determined not to let this happen after selling all my canon gear!

My plan is to literally just take the GX1 and 14-42 everywhere i go and only take the 100-300 when i know im going to need it (ie trips to the zoo etc)

I also plan to get either the 20mm 1.7 or the Olympus 45mm for those sharp as a button images!

Then thats it - no more i tell you! :LOL:

What? Not even a Voigtlander 25mm f0.95? They're really quite tiny you know and take up next to no room.

GH2 with 7-14:

BM4.jpg

sockitoothem Glenn

postcardcv said:
I've been there too... Was using Canon gear and decided to dabble with something smaller, after going round the houses I've ended up with a small shoulder bag holding a G3, GF1, 20f1.7, 100-300 and a flash which weighs a lot less than the equivalent set up in Canon gear. However I'm now struggling with running two systems, I keep looking at new lenses for the Panasonic to cover more of the stuff I like to photograph (I fancy a 45 f1.8 and a macro at least). So do I buy more stuff for the Panasonics and end up carrying more gear (kind of defeats the point for me), or go back to just shooting Canon. I'm currently taking a week off from the Panasonics to see how it is going back to a full DSLR kit.

It will be heavy :). Gx1 ordered ;). I have a 25mm summilux prime also waiting to be tested out on it. Can't wait to see what it's capable of.

Tiger Feet said:
I think sometimes you get bogged down with lenses and brain washed into thinking i can only take a certain picture with a certain lens.

My plan is to literally just take the GX1 and 14-42 everywhere i go and only take the 100-300 when i know im going to need it (ie trips to the zoo etc)

I also plan to get either the 20mm 1.7 or the Olympus 45mm for those sharp as a button images!

That's my plan as well lol let's see what happens :)

Thoughts anyone?

Mandoo,

The Panasonic 14mm pancake is about £130 on fleabay, should be cheaper second hand here when you get funds.

Still cheaper option might be to get micro 4/3 adapter for a cheap (but good quality) 50mm F1.8 lens, giving you a 35mm film equivalent of 100mm. eg Canon FD? or pentax 50mm f1.7 ?

I think I am going to be on the look out for a g1 or g2 for a good price and use some of my fd lenses and see how it works out. I think my main bulk of savings will be going towards a 50-500 os for my canon kit. I am also liking the idea of the 7-14, that would be the wide angle sorted and leave the big lens on the canon. I need to stop and think sensibly now :LOL:

Mandoo,

The Panasonic 14mm pancake is about £130 on fleabay, should be cheaper second hand here when you get funds.

Still cheaper option might be to get micro 4/3 adapter for a cheap (but good quality) 50mm F1.8 lens, giving you a 35mm film equivalent of 100mm. eg Canon FD? or pentax 50mm f1.7 ?

What kind of functionality do you have with the FD lenses please? I have an old canon AE1 which has its standard 50mm f1.8 still on it - might give it a try. What type of converter would I need :thinking:

Thoughts anyone?

i've got a G1 and am still really pleased with the original kit lens (14-45). panny has only just upgraded it to the x series which shows i think that it is a nice lens. check out the lens on flickr for plenty of examples.

Good question on the functionality of other lenses. The nifty fifty is my most used lens on my 350d so would be interested to see what use I can get from similar lenses.

I think I'm going to take a plunge on the G1 as they're around £100 on eBay for the body only. Im going to look at adapters for FD and EF lenses as well as getting a cheap kit lens.
Once I've used it a bit I'll have a better idea on whether it better for my needs.

Sounds like my plan as well... Though I would like something a bit wider so I'd also put on the list the 14mm and maybe simply sell the X lens. Three tiny primes on a small body should be great for walking about/hiking/cycling trips.

I would have jumped the gun a lot earlier if I didn't already have a K-5 with 21mm/40mm and 70mm primes which are both excellent and almost identical to the m43 primes.

Won a G1 on ebay this evening for £98 body only so that's one bit sorted. Got to get hold of a kit lens now and then I should be set for a little while.

What kind of functionality do you have with the FD lenses please? I have an old canon AE1 which has its standard 50mm f1.8 still on it - might give it a try. What type of converter would I need :thinking:

I use an FD 50 f1.8 quite extensively on my EP2, you get Aperture Control if you buy the right adaptor, easily found on Ebay!

chrism_scotland said:
I use an FD 50 f1.8 quite extensively on my EP2, you get Aperture Control if you buy the right adaptor, easily found on Ebay!

Same here on my G2 :)

Mandoo said:
Won a G1 on ebay this evening for £98 body only so that's one bit sorted. Got to get hold of a kit lens now and then I should be set for a little while.

I'm thinking of trying a G1 to see if I can justify a move to a G2 or 3, love my GF2 but a few things annoy, specifically lack of an intervalometer, and no remote socket. The articulated screen would be nice too :)

I've been thinking I'll sell my 14-42 kit lens due to never using it and wanting a 45mm Olly, if you're interested stick up a wanted ad and let me know... Mods please delete this bit if inappropriate ;)

I'm thinking of trying a G1 to see if I can justify a move to a G2 or 3, love my GF2 but a few things annoy, specifically lack of an intervalometer, and no remote socket. The articulated screen would be nice too :)

I've been thinking I'll sell my 14-42 kit lens due to never using it and wanting a 45mm Olly, if you're interested stick up a wanted ad and let me know... Mods please delete this bit if inappropriate ;)

he's sorted now ! :p

btw - has anyone used top end of panasonic or olympus in weddings as a pro ?

the idea of gh2 or gx1 etc with some nice lenses isn't leaving my head.

the idea of gh2 or gx1 etc with some nice lenses isn't leaving my head.

I love my M4/3 stuff but I have started shooting weddings for money and I wouldn't really consider doing it on a M4/3 camera. I do take my GF1 with 20mm for backup/candid shots though.

I think the main problem would be the high ISO performance compared toa good full frame DSLR, and lack of fast 'pro' zooms, or longer fast primes. You could use the 12mm f2, the 20mm 1.7 and the 45mm 1.8 - not sure what else would be suitable tbh. Not saying it's impossible, but I think it would be tricky.

Starastin said:

I'm doing another wedding in June but I won't be using the G2. I will be back to my Canon 40D with 580EXII on rotating bracket.

And also, and I know this is wrong, but I would feel a bit of a nerd taking the formal photos on a small camera like the G2.
I know the proof of the pudding etc., but I would feel even more self conscious than I do now!! :)

I love my M4/3 stuff but I have started shooting weddings for money and I wouldn't really consider doing it on a M4/3 camera. I do take my GF1 with 20mm for backup/candid shots though.

I think the main problem would be the high ISO performance compared toa good full frame DSLR, and lack of fast 'pro' zooms, or longer fast primes. You could use the 12mm f2, the 20mm 1.7 and the 45mm 1.8 - not sure what else would be suitable tbh. Not saying it's impossible, but I think it would be tricky.

thanks, but I was hoping for some input from current top end model users.

I have the GH1 atm and with 20mm f1.7 I think I could easily live with iso1600 using raw. although I would probably want to use 4000+ as well. seeing that the new models are very good in high iso was just wondering if someone is using them in full confidence in such situations.

Back