"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

How would one go about losing 1/2 a finger in a lawnmower? I can see feet or maybe a leg - but a finger?

At least it's not the shutter digit.

Because I is a fool!
After releasing engine cutoff, wait until blade stops spinning before attempting to put hand under side of mower to lift the thing up!

Indeed still have most important digits :)

There a cash back offer starting October so going wait

They have gone insane - gh3 is a bit of a let down in size and price

I'm ok with the price if the performance matches the best CSC's on the market, that remains to be seen and personally I'll be surprised but pleased if Panasonic can match the best as I doubt they can.

I'm more annoyed at the size. I want a COMPACT system camera not an APS-C DSLR sized camera system and although the GH3+lens will still be more compact than an APS-C DSLR+lens the difference is eroding. After my rants yesterday I've calmed down a bit and I may even buy a GH3 but the odds have lengthened very considerably.

I'm more annoyed at the size. I want a COMPACT system camera not an APS-C DSLR sized camera system and although the GH3+lens will still be more compact than an APS-C DSLR+lens ....

agreed alan, that is the main reason why i moved away from dslr - i'm not sure whether the gh3 would be less in size and weight than say a d5100 with kit lens :shrug:

I just don't understand Panasonics thinking with this camera unless it's as simple as - make it bigger because we can charge more for bigger things - and of course anything big and heavy and made of "magnesium" is a grown up mans product and justifies a premium price.

This camera leaves me nowhere to go in Panasonics line up.

Last edited:
I think I can see where Panasonic are coming from.

The GH2 was a happy accident for them - I don't think they set out to create the best videography camera, it just kinda happened (helped by hacks). Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, they decided to press home the advantage and aim the GH3 purely at videographers and not compromise by trying to appease the usual m4/3 buyers at the same time. A lot of people will buy the GH3 because it's the best full stop, not because of the size/features compromise that is the usual m4/3 attraction. As a result, they can make it bigger for better handling and more controls. And charge a premium as there's very little else like it. It's a niche camera for a niche market and that means $$$$$.

And this explains why the G5 is so good - they knew the GH3 would be too big/pricey for most people so could go to town on the G5 without risking cannibalising the GH3 sales. There's no point hobbling it, instead they've tried to make it better than the PENs and as close to a OM-D as they can at half the price. Good news for everyone.

The next step will be interesting - unless I'm mistaken the GX1 is now the oldest G in the line-up. Will they update it early next year? Quite possible, although it's likely to just be the G5 sensor and some ergonomic tweaks.

bl0at3r said:
Because I is a fool!
After releasing engine cutoff, wait until blade stops spinning before attempting to put hand under side of mower to lift the thing up!

Indeed still have most important digits :)

Glad you're ok! Can you still operate the gx1 touchscreen !!

Ouch :( - stick to photography instead of gardening as a hobby- much less dangerous !!

Last edited:
Has anyone here experienced the "Blur Anomaly"? (Scroll down to just under half way)
No, but I didn't buy the 14-42 X specifically for that reason - I bought the 12-35 which doesn't seem to have the same problem as far as I can tell.

I am getting a loaner 14-42X (and I think 45-175X) from Panny as I'm doing a review of the G5 for another website. I will look out for it, but I think it is inherent in the lens design unfortunately. It isn't an IS problem - more a mechanical construction issue.

arad85 said:
No, but I didn't buy the 14-42 X specifically for that reason - I bought the 12-35 which doesn't seem to have the same problem as far as I can tell.

I am getting a loaner 14-42X (and I think 45-175X) from Panny as I'm doing a review of the G5 for another website. I will look out for it, but I think it is inherent in the lens design unfortunately. It isn't an IS problem - more a mechanical construction issue.

Sounds like a nice gig, can you tell us the website?

Photo%2017-09-2012%2015%2030%2016.jpg

Had an argument with a lawn mower on Saturday and now only have 7.5 fingers :D

Still eight fingers, count 'em! :D
EightFingersCountEm.jpg

And he's just three and a half. The shame Bloater!
(Not taken with G1, sorry thread drift.)

That's the Pany 45-200 replaced now thanks to ozyboyross in classifieds, looks like it has never been used :)

The rumour sites say that there's possibly a GXx coming in November, possibly even with a built in VF.

Given that none of the new cameras will probably be in the shops for weeks it may be worthwhile waiting until after November.

broadway said:
Still waiting to change my G1. Gh3 is tempting, but too expensive at the moment

Sure you don't want a G5? ;)

I want them to put MultiFilm back into the new models : that's the way I use my G1 90% of the time, and the G3 and G5 don't have it any more!
-sob-
I don't even need a camera with "X" in the name ...

There's been some fantastic lens announcements at Photokina, ok not all will be available anytime soon, but still fantastic showing for such a relatively new system.

I'm really interested in the Olympus 60mm macro lens and then I saw this review
http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2012/09/olympus-mzuiko-60mm-f28-macro-review.html
And now I really want it!

The bokeh and sharpness look superb!

If I do stay with MFT (doubtful now) the 60mm macro may be on my list to replace my Siggy 150mm f2.8 macro.

Gonna say goodbye to the D90 just not getting the use it deserves!

Not sure on lenses to be honest, got the kit lens for now. Expect maybe a prime and zoom.

Any ideas on a cheap bag/case for now?

After all those shots of mangled fingers I thought I'd post some soothing images from today...

RC2_zpse1d8d8f9.jpg

RC1_zps28a5e2b1.jpg

There can never be enough flower shots.

Last edited:
Was quite excited about the Olympus 15mm 'lens cap' lens... until I saw the US/UK price difference.

US: £37.19 ($60.36) INCLUDING tax and delivery - pre-order from Olympus site
UK: £69.99 PLUS delivery - pre-order from WEX, Park etc

:-(

Was quite excited about the Olympus 15mm 'lens cap' lens... until I saw the US/UK price difference.

US: £37.19 ($60.36) INCLUDING tax and delivery - pre-order from Olympus site
UK: £69.99 PLUS delivery - pre-order from WEX, Park etc

:-(

£69.99 for a lens! Surely it can't be any good at that price, can it?

Well, to liven thinga up I have a question.

I have found that when shooting video on my G5 and using the 45-200mm zoom lens, the autofocus hunts for a couple of seconds when I zoom in.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how have you solved it ?

Also, are the PZ HD lenses better at this ie maintaining focus on zooming in like a camcorder does ?

The moon at 55mm and 100% just to see what I could capture. I'm quite pleased that I could get anything at 55mm and 100%.

100.jpg

f5.6, 1/1000 sec, ISO 100, + 0.9 exposure post capture, manual focus and hand held.

Last edited:
Back