"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Didn't need to use the 100-300 for this shot but first time I've used it

Last Apple by Baz, on Flickr

Very nice shot Sir, really well composed, lovely colours, and some fine detail.(y)

George.

Reactions: BJP
Hey Guys,
Just joined the club :)
Picked up a G80 and 12-60 lens this afternoon.
Looking forward to trying it out.
Any recommended settings etc for now?
Will be getting a 100-400mm lens for birds/wildlife once I move on my D7000 and sigma 150-600 C.
Cheers

Settings are mostly personal preference, apart from a few that can improve general shooting. Remember, holding down any of the Fn buttons will allow you to customise it, really handy.
A few that I would make sure to check:

C-wrench 3/9: AF assist lamp off, I find it makes no real difference on any camera, only irritates people when you're shooting.
C-wrench 3/9: AF sensitivity I have set to +2, it makes more of a difference in video apparently, but I have it set to that and find AF pretty fast
C-Wrench 6/9: Constant Preview on - why this is off by default I will never understand
C-Wrench 9/9 - If you intend to ever adapt older lenses, set 'Shoot w/o lens' to on.

If you want to turn the annoying AF 'Beep' off, it's at Wrench: 2/6
Sensor clean is at 5/6 in that menu, and format for the SD card is on 6/6

Camera icon menu: Shutter type is at 5/8, if you prefer to keep it to Mech-shutter only, or set it to Auto to let the camera decide [very bright days with wide primes, the ESHTR allows you to shoot up to 1/16,000 negating the need for a filter in many cases.
ISO limit set for Auto ISO is also set on this page, I have mine limited to 1600
Page 1/8 is where you can set the image quality, I only ever shoot RAW but you may like Jpeg, you might want to set it to RAW + Fine here

That's all i can think of for now, you won't really know what else to change until you run into an issue I guess, have fun discovering it :)

Hey Guys,
Will be getting a 100-400mm lens for birds/wildlife once I move on my D7000 and sigma 150-600 C.
Cheers

Welcome to the club;);) your bank balance may not thank you but your back balance will:D

Obviously, you want image review off, i use AFC for every thing and single point focus,with the 100-400 i use shutter priority and assign the front dial to exposure compensation. i am quiet happy shooting that lens wide open and find its great to be able to adjust the exposure with out taking my eye away from the EVF great for instantaneous adjustments for BIF.
I use auto ISO which i top out at 6400 and medium frame rate, if you choose fast with AFC it knocks itself down to medium any way.

AF sensitivity at plus +2 but this could be a problem until you get used to the mirrorless system so to start with 0 or minus a bit may help,refocus speed i have on fast.
Trying center-weighted metering at the moment.

Settings are mostly personal preference, apart from a few that can improve general shooting. Remember, holding down any of the Fn buttons will allow you to customise it, really handy.
A few that I would make sure to check:

C-wrench 3/9: AF assist lamp off, I find it makes no real difference on any camera, only irritates people when you're shooting.
C-wrench 3/9: AF sensitivity I have set to +2, it makes more of a difference in video apparently, but I have it set to that and find AF pretty fast
C-Wrench 6/9: Constant Preview on - why this is off by default I will never understand
C-Wrench 9/9 - If you intend to ever adapt older lenses, set 'Shoot w/o lens' to on.

If you want to turn the annoying AF 'Beep' off, it's at Wrench: 2/6
Sensor clean is at 5/6 in that menu, and format for the SD card is on 6/6

Camera icon menu: Shutter type is at 5/8, if you prefer to keep it to Mech-shutter only, or set it to Auto to let the camera decide [very bright days with wide primes, the ESHTR allows you to shoot up to 1/16,000 negating the need for a filter in many cases.
ISO limit set for Auto ISO is also set on this page, I have mine limited to 1600
Page 1/8 is where you can set the image quality, I only ever shoot RAW but you may like Jpeg, you might want to set it to RAW + Fine here

That's all i can think of for now, you won't really know what else to change until you run into an issue I guess, have fun discovering it :)

Welcome to the club;);) your bank balance may not thank you but your back balance will:D

Obviously, you want image review off, i use AFC for every thing and single point focus,with the 100-400 i use shutter priority and assign the front dial to exposure compensation. i am quiet happy shooting that lens wide open and find its great to be able to adjust the exposure with out taking my eye away from the EVF great for instantaneous adjustments for BIF.
I use auto ISO which i top out at 6400 and medium frame rate, if you choose fast with AFC it knocks itself down to medium any way.

AF sensitivity at plus +2 but this could be a problem until you get used to the mirrorless system so to start with 0 or minus a bit may help,refocus speed i have on fast.
Trying center-weighted metering at the moment.

Cheers guys.
Do you use auto ISO or intelligent ISO?

I shoot mainly manual, inc ISO, but the odd time I'll switch to auto ISO capped to 1600. I'd prefer to choose whether to go higher than that manually

Nothing fancy here, I still use an old Yongnuo 560 with cheap as chips trigger/receiver set for off cam flash, I've used that same flash with Nikon, Fuji and now with the Panasonic, works just as good as ever. The trigger set looks like this one here, though mine has no actual brand on it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Cha...176891&sr=8-1&keywords=trigger+receiver+canon

I got a Godox TT350o for Christmas, but didn't get the trigger for it yet. That will take over as my more portable TTL flash for macro once I get the trigger. For now I can only use it on cam, but it's nice and neat and simple, where my YN560 would look completely ridiculous on M43 cams, it's huge.

For anyone who might be interested, here's the difference between the Godox TT350 and a standard size Yongnuo flash, which is about the same size as your Nikon SB900 or Canon equiv:

flashes.jpg

Last edited:
I use Yongnuo YN622C transceivers on my M43 cameras (OMDs and GH3) as I shoot Canon as well. These triggers are fine for M43 manual flash triggering of my studio lights. However, all my cameras are older 3 pin hotshoes, some of the latest cameras have a fourth pin with a voltage feed to it, I wouldn't risk my 622Cs until somebody else finds they are safe on a 4 pin M43 camera.

One from the tiny GM1 with the kit 12x32

26079560698_b5c216e1cd_c.jpg

Hey Guys,
Cheers

This is why i have auto ISO set high for wildlife, yes i would have loved to get it at about 200 but even at 6400 it was slightly under exposed.

P1090878 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Is it repairable or could you just use electronic shutter?

Tried a camera reset, remove of battery and electronic shutter, the curtain stays as it is. A phone call to panasonic, they said it could be the shutter or just an electronic issue. I reckon it's the shutter, menu and everything else is fine, vf is black, obviously because the shutter curtain is in that position. I did see something different on the lcd though when trying to focus. it was a white circle and low in white writing flash on the top left, never seen that before.

Apparently Dk Audio Visual will do a free estimate.

Tried a camera reset, remove of battery and electronic shutter, the curtain stays as it is. A phone call to panasonic, they said it could be the shutter or just an electronic issue. I reckon it's the shutter, menu and everything else is fine, vf is black, obviously because the shutter curtain is in that position. I did see something different on the lcd though when trying to focus. it was a white circle and low in white writing flash on the top left, never seen that before.

Apparently Dk Audio Visual will do a free estimate.

That's a shame Michael, and I hope you can get it sorted quickly and without too much expense. I've had a couple of shutters go in my time, but they looked like the individual slats on the shutter curtain were hanging down. Yours almost looks like the shutter is stuck in the closed position. However, it could differences in the shutter operation, as the ones I've had go in the past were on none live view DSLRs with OVFs.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted soon.

Simon.

That's a shame Michael, and I hope you can get it sorted quickly and without too much expense. I've had a couple of shutters go in my time, but they looked like the individual slats on the shutter curtain were hanging down. Yours almost looks like the shutter is stuck in the closed position. However, it could differences in the shutter operation, as the ones I've had go in the past were on none live view DSLRs with OVFs.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted soon.

Simon.

I just had a google, someone on dpreview had the "please turn the camera off and on again" message, the whol;e shutter was replaced, our, well my daughters g7 has very low use. Fingers crossed, shall fill out the form tonight.

Yes, considerably smaller. I never found it a problem on my GX7, though, which had the same size viewfinder as the Gx80.

Thanks Graeme, it's my daughters g7 that has failed, so was considering a gx80 as a possible replacment depending on cost of repair. Her co-ordination is not 100%, so using a smaller viewfinder could become a bit frustrating and problematic.

I've been busy but I managed half an hour with my GX7 and 45-150mm.

Despite not looking like it this is a colour picture but we get a lot of drab no sky days like this so I went for a sort of Gothic look :D

P1110190-N.jpg

I liked the texture and colour.

P1110209-N.jpg

And a PS.
I took some indoor social stuff with my GX80 and 17mm f1.8 using zone focus, f2.8 and focused at about 2.5 to just under 3m or there abouts with the shutter speed set and the ISO floating. I'd forgotten how useable this kit is for stuff like this and how useable the results are even at very high ISO for looking at normally, ie not pixel peeping. :D I'd normally have used a manual lens on my Sony A7 but chose the GX80 for the much quieter shutter.

Last edited:
Great start, just remember when you start BIF its a steepish learning curve after DSLRs,hope you get the lens soon.
Can't wait to get it.
Never really did a lot of bif stuff in the past, but I'll be back for advice soon no doubt.

I always used a large tripod and gimbal with my d7000 and sigma 150-600 as I found it hard to get great shots handheld.
Although I'm looking forward to getting some great handheld shots with the G80 and 100-400 combo, I was wondering which tripod/gimbal/head combinations you folks have used with this lens?

I always used a large tripod and gimbal with my d7000 and sigma 150-600 as I found it hard to get great shots handheld.
Although I'm looking forward to getting some great handheld shots with the G80 and 100-400 combo, I was wondering which tripod/gimbal/head combinations you folks have used with this lens?

None, as i found the DSLR gear too heavy to carry round i couldnt add a tripod and gimbal. i dont think you will need one with the dual is and lighter gear.

If you haven't handled the 100-400 yet its not just that its lighter its also shorter so you wont get that weight pulling down at the front of the lens, a lot better balance for hand holding.

Has anyone tried a Raynox 250 on the Panasonic 25 1.7, or any other similar lenses?

Back