"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

No, I was very angry about the SS issue and I will not be buying any more SS affected cameras. Not knowing what current or future native lenses may be affected is bad enough but not knowing what legacy lenses may be affected was another kick in the teeth. I was amazed when my Rokkor 50mm f1.2 was clearly affected.

Avoiding the affected shutter speed range just isn't an option for me and whilst switching to the electronic shutter fixes the problem in a lot of instances it can create banding under artificial lighting which is an issue for me. So all in all I will not entertain another SS affected body, not after being stung by my experiences with the otherwise very nice G7 and GX7.

PS.
I do fancy a 100-300mm :D I've been using my 45-150mm but 150mm is very limiting for birds even when cropping to 100%.

Last edited:
A few G80 shots from the past week, first 3 shot with the 100-300, just trying a bit of variety using it, last one with the 25 1.7

Spring time Forsythia by K G, on Flickr

Take me away by K G, on Flickr

This was shot at 223mm indoors, 1/30th hand held, ISO 1250 - the lens OIS on the mk1 isn't bad, this lens could well be used for indoor portraits at 100mm
Indoor Kitty tester by K G, on Flickr

Shepard's Pie by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Scruffy Robin

Apparently this Robin is a bit of a character around the Daisy Nook country park, he loved posing for me.

Panasonic G80, Panasonic 100-300mm Mk1, 177.0 mm, ƒ/4.7, 1/1000, 1250 ISO

Chaffinch?

This is single frame grab taken from Panasonic G80 4K footage, it was the only way to catch this bird (which i think is a Chaffinch?) because it was moving around to fast.

Same details as previous image but at 800 ISO

Last edited:
Scruffy Robin

Apparently this Robin is a bit of a character around the Daisy Nook country park, he loved posing for me.

Panasonic G80, Panasonic 100-300mm Mk1, 177.0 mm, ƒ/4.7, 1/1000, 1250 ISO

Chaffinch?

This is single frame grab taken from Panasonic G80 4K footage, it was the only way to catch this bird (which i think is a Chaffinch?) because it was moving around to fast.

Same details as previous image but at 800 ISO
It’s actually a Nuthatch but nice shot.

Finally have a full day out with my G9, and the weather looks good. Looking forward to putting it through its paces :)

Simon.

It’s actually a Nuthatch but nice shot.

Yeah, there's similarities to the Chaffy, but if you look at the one I photographed yesterday, they don't have the black band around the eyes, the eyes are a little different too and the Chaffy's head is ... 'rounder'

Friendly Chaffy by K G, on Flickr

Also spotted the first toy Kite around here of Spring:

Breeze by K G, on Flickr

And first insect tester using the 100-300 + Raynox

My Space by K G, on Flickr

just moved over from canon heavy gear i.e 1d3 +plus sigma 150-600 sport total carry round weight 7+kg to a pano g80 and Leica 100-400 ,the difference in weight is stunning ,got the new kit weds evening so first time out today testing its capabilities etc ,quiet a steep learning curve but its looking good so far ,quite amazed at the results so far in less than perfect light .heres a starter
occams razer re-visited by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

goosey gander attacks by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

fly on the buds by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Dipped my toes into m4/3 with a second hand G3, loved it, and then went and bought a GX80.
I don't think you can get better bang for buck than the G series, especially second hand.

I think the GX80 is very good value for what it offers. The image quality is easily way beyond anything I got from film and very probably (probably certainly) better than anything I got from my "FF" Canon 5D. To have that performance in a camera and lens combination of this size is very very welcome :D

are there any on line Panasonic forums at all ,joined the Olympus one but pano would be better

cheers mike signed up

Just a head# up for any one new to the pano 100-400 lens ,mr muppet here has been getting a message up on screen ,” lens not connected to camera properly “ so took it back to the shop totally fuming ,ready to ask for money back etc .

It turned out I hadn’t tightened the tripod mount screw so when putting it on the camera it wasn’t locking that last millemtre on the mount .hopefully this has cured it now .and relieved as apparently there’s a shortage of them in the country

What do you lot think of the 100-300mm? At half the price of the 100-400mm?

I haven't had a long lens since my 70-300mm on APS-C and I do fancy one for a couple of reasons... I've never been able to get a half decent moon picture and in recent years I've wanted to take a few wildlife/bird pictures and my 45-150mm really isn't anywhere near long enough for that.

What do you lot think of the 100-300mm? At half the price of the 100-400mm?

I haven't had a long lens since my 70-300mm on APS-C and I do fancy one for a couple of reasons... I've never been able to get a half decent moon picture and in recent years I've wanted to take a few wildlife/bird pictures and my 45-150mm really isn't anywhere near long enough for that.
do you mean the 100-400 Alan ,i.q is stunning ,once you take the geriatric user out of the equation ,the 100-300 I tried in the shop and its also a superb lens

do you mean the 100-400 Alan ,i.q is stunning ,once you take the geriatric user out of the equation ,the 100-300 I tried in the shop and its also a superb lens

Yes, l've been thinking about getting a longer lens and the 100-400mm seems to be getting good reviews but it's over £1k and I haven't spent that much on a lens before so the tight part of me spotted the 100-300mm which is also f4-5.6 and I wondered how good an option it is.

I do realise that 300mm is not 400mm and that being tight I sometimes buy twice... I buy the cheaper thing and realise it isn't what I want and so end up buying the more expensive thing... so I'm trying to decide if I should just go for the 100-400 from the outset as if I got the 100-300mm I might end up wishing I'd got that extra 100mm even if it comes at twice the price.

Decisions.... decisions...

Anyway, the 45-150mm I have just doesn't cut it as 150mm is nowhere near enough even with a 100% crop.

I went for the 100-300, and mk1 at that, I found the Oly 40-150 too short for what I wanted too. I can't justify splurging on anything pricier right now. Photography is not my only side expense ... But ... if money was no issue I would definitely go for the 400, it looks a stellar lens for the money. Imagine the price and size of a 200-800 for full frame! From the comparisons I've seen online it is sharper than the 100-300, not by a million miles, but noticeable enough.

If money wasn't a major issue, but I was budgeting, I'd probably go for the 100-300 mkII and use the rest on a macro and a nice prime

Last edited:
Yes, l've been thinking about getting a longer lens and the 100-400mm seems to be getting good reviews but it's over £1k and I haven't spent that much on a lens before so the tight part of me spotted the 100-300mm which is also f4-5.6 and I wondered how good an option it is.

I do realise that 300mm is not 400mm and that being tight I sometimes buy twice... I buy the cheaper thing and realise it isn't what I want and so end up buying the more expensive thing... so I'm trying to decide if I should just go for the 100-400 from the outset as if I got the 100-300mm I might end up wishing I'd got that extra 100mm even if it comes at twice the price.

Decisions.... decisions...

Anyway, the 45-150mm I have just doesn't cut it as 150mm is nowhere near enough even with a 100% crop.
Get the 100-400. I've had the 100-300 and it's a good lens, but the 100-400 is in a different league and it has the extra reach.
I got mines brand new for £865 from efinity online.

The only thing lacking in the 100-400 is the price ,every other aspect ticks the boxes ,and remember it’s not a extra 100mm of reach due to crop factor it’s 200mm .i tried it out again today and it definitely gave more reach than the sigma 150.600 and totally mind blowing close focus

Thanks all. Looks like I should put my hand in my pocket for the 100-400mm :D

If money wasn't a major issue, but I was budgeting, I'd probably go for the 100-300 mkII and use the rest on a macro and a nice prime

I have pretty much everything I need apart from a long lens. I have the Oly 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8's and four zooms including the 45-150mm plus I have a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 MF macro lens that does the job well so really a long lens is all I'm missing, apart from the GX9 I've also been thinking of getting :D

A few photos taken last weekend at Croft Circuit.

BARC Championship Racing by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

All images taken with my G9 + Oly 40-150mm f2.8 with and without the 1.4xTC.

Cheers,

Simon.

Great sense of speed, love how you made the cars 'pop!' - I especially like the red one :)

Thanks all. Looks like I should put my hand in my pocket for the 100-400mm :D

I have pretty much everything I need apart from a long lens. I have the Oly 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8's and four zooms including the 45-150mm plus I have a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 MF macro lens that does the job well so really a long lens is all I'm missing, apart from the GX9 I've also been thinking of getting :D

We will always be wanting :) I want the 45, but I also want the 60mm Oly macro, I don't want both ... so I'll have to decide, want to get either before the summer. There's a few old vintage lenses i also wan to play with. I only like to have a small few lenses at any one time though, because I feel the need to use any I do have, and well, only so many hours in a day

You should be able to pick up a 45mm f1.8 at a good price as they seem to crop up regularly and for me at least macro or rather close up shooting is mostly manual focus and a film era lens is therefore a viable option. I think my Sigma 50mm f2.8 cost £60. So why not both :D

Back