"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Every one to their own, i find this old body far too unreliable now for the rock in and out until in focus, i find focus ok but the body now rocks past it, never used to.;)

Every one to their own, i find this old body far too unreliable now for the rock in and out until in focus, i find focus ok but the body now rocks past it, never used to.;)

There's a guy who does outstanding insect macro work on another forum using the 60mm Oly, I think he sometimes adds close up filters to it. He uses the AF and says it's quick enough, so that's encouraging. I'll see if I can find a link to his web site, he tells little stories for his images too

I have used the AF with my little set up, it's pretty solid with the Raynox tbh, I just personally find MF more relative for how I shoot. I find with AF I'm that split second too late hitting the shutter and it's gone, I think I'm too used to the rocking method and I can't actually keep still enough to nail AF consistently

Last edited:
There's a guy who does outstanding insect macro work on another forum using the 60mm Oly, I think he sometimes adds close up filters to it. He uses the AF and says it's quick enough, so that's encouraging. I'll see if I can find a link to his web site, he tells little stories for his images too

I have used the AF with my little set up, it's pretty solid with the Raynox tbh, I just personally find MF more relative for how I shoot. I find with AF I'm that split second too late hitting the shutter and it's gone, I think I'm too used to the rocking method and I can't actually keep still enough to nail AF consistently

Thanks, i cant see me rocking will be any more accurate than af but if ime wrong i can go back to rocking.

Here you go, this guy makes me sick! his macro is so good :ROFLMAO:

https://beingmark.com/

I asked him about one set he had posted up a little while back:

Cagey75 wrote:

Excellent work, love the blue backdrop in these. Are these shot with the Olympus 60mm alone?

Thanks C... The bg is sky, mostly. All Oly 60 with achromat on - fixes the working distance so I hold the flower and rest lens tip on same hand for stability and flash lights it up and stops motion, while dragging the shutter to keep ambient background.

Pure macro is a art in itself ,personally I,m just happy with a decent sharp close up ,and I have to admit the g80 and 100-400 is starting to achieve this

I wouldn't have the patience for stacking, the guy I linked above doesn't stack and he only ever shoots living creatures. I've seen some macro photographers kill the insects [usually using a pin for least amount of destruction] and 'position' them for stacking to make them appear still alive, I wouldn't be into that.

Of course you can do very nice close ups without going all out macro, there's a place for everything. I just love the detail in these weird but wonderful creatures, we don't pay attention to them in every day life [bar swatting an annoying fly or wasp] but when you enter their world it can really amaze. I've actually felt sometimes when trying to get a fly face on, that they were well aware of what I was doing, and would turn to pose for a minute before 'buggering' off :LOL:

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to any type of shooting, it's whatever you are most comfortable with, I just like to experiment. I make my own DIY soft boxes and the like. Though, I'm getting lazy, I just ordered an Fstoppers flash disc for lightweight diffusion

Last edited:
couple of shots of my first dragonfly of the season ,well pleased as this was quite a way distant so large crops ,the resolving power of the 100-400 is amazing , if I had known about manual focus at the time I would have used it on these and I feel got even better results
first of the year by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
hang ten by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I am an idiot. I only just realised there is a firmware update for the 100-300 mk1 [has been since 2012!] - Well, better late than never, I've just gained a full stop [apparently] of OIS

An un-cropped daisy shot, very little editing in post, it somehow turned out much like this, a low to ground shot across the garden on one of those steamy hot days when there's a shimmer of heat haze rising - combined with the compression of 240mm on an M43 sensor [480mm FF equiv] there was but a sliver of DOF across the plain of the tiny flowers [That's the spiel I put on Flickr at least]

Unchained by K G, on Flickr

I bought a GX9 off Andy and I'm quite happy with it :D but I feel the need to whinge about the EVF again... or actually it may not be the EVF that's the problem but what optics Panny put in front of it. Whatever. This is the third camera I've had with this EVF and I can't help but think that although it's useable fitting a better one would elevate these from good cameras to great cameras.

I like the new custom menu thingy, the tilting EVF and the manual AF/MF switch and it's very nice to be able to dial in exposure compensation with auto ISO in manual mode. I like this a lot as I usually use aperture priority until the light drops and the camera selects too slow a shutter speed, switching to shutter priority isn't always great as the camera will probably select the widest aperture so I normally switch to manual and dial in whatever shutter speed and aperture I want, I let the ISO float and dial in EC as I see fit.

I keep thinking that whatever I buy it'll be my last for a long time and although I'd like to think that this GX9 is my last camera for a long time I know that if they bring out a small form RF style camera with a nice EVF (a smaller GX8 with the new SS free shutter) I'll end up buying one and telling myself it's the last camera I'll buy for a long time :D

a small fly handheld from the other day ,this was before I found out about manual focus blow up on the camera ,so it could have been better
the fly by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Very annoyed atm, the bottom left hinge cover on my G80 has come off, for no reason whatsoever :/ Only noticed after coming in from some macro shooting in the garden last night - I have found the piece of plastic covering but it won't re-attach, seems there's a very small piece broke off. Also I've noticed while inspecting the camera that the rubber grip at the front, under the shutter, is starting to peel away. The camera is barely 6mths old, and for an apparently WR body this is a bit shocking. Have been in touch with the store I bought it from, they want me to send it in, then they will send it to the repair centre ... meaning I would be a while without a camera. Not impressed.

Very annoyed atm, the bottom left hinge cover on my G80 has come off, for no reason whatsoever :/ Only noticed after coming in from some macro shooting in the garden last night - I have found the piece of plastic covering but it won't re-attach, seems there's a very small piece broke off. Also I've noticed while inspecting the camera that the rubber grip at the front, under the shutter, is starting to peel away. The camera is barely 6mths old, and for an apparently WR body this is a bit shocking. Have been in touch with the store I bought it from, they want me to send it in, then they will send it to the repair centre ... meaning I would be a while without a camera. Not impressed.
That’s not good at all Keith ,surely you would be better off getting straight on to Panasonic or does it work differently in Ireland ( not sure what part your in )

That’s not good at all Keith ,surely you would be better off getting straight on to Panasonic or does it work differently in Ireland ( not sure what part your in )

The store have been back to me and have offered to pick the camera up and send me a loaner for the duration of repairs. At least I'll have something to keep shooting with and I would imagine if they can't repair it they will replace it. My other option would be to send it to Panasonic UK, which I imagine would be a longer route and no loaner.

I'm in the Irish Midlands, not too far from Dublin which is where it will head to initially.

Last edited:
that sounds like good news mate ..any chance of pics of the damage so we know what to look out for

that sounds like good news mate ..any chance of pics of the damage so we know what to look out for

Sure, couple of phone pics showing the piece that came off of the LCD hinge, and the grip starting to come away at the front

G80grip.jpg G80hinge.jpg

Btw that's just a drop of rain that hit the camera when I went out to take the pic in better light, and what looks like a hair is water from that droplet

Last edited:

Its not just a G80 thing

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh3-gh4-lcd-hinge-cover-replacement-guide/

You'd think they would have sorted it out on newer models! The worrying part of it is that it exposes an electrical band to the LCD. The brass/golden looking part you see in the pic above is actually electrical tape with wires enclosed. The missing piece is just a lump of non sealed plastic, makes me wonder just how weather resistant that section is

The grip loosening isn't just a G80 thing either, my old Fuji XT1's grips started to peel away, I complained to Fuji and they sent out a set of new skins to apply, was like new after that.

But my G80 is 6mths old! That XT1 was 4yrs

Last edited:
I would arm myself with mikes link and take yours back to the shop show them it and demand a new camera ,and many thanks for the heads up to both you and mike it is indeed something to be watched .I wonder if a cheapo battery grip would prevent this happening . if it was a out of warranty job I would be tempted to superglue or plastic-weld it back on as it doesn't move when you open the screen

having not been out much this week I have just had a play with the spider image from the other day ,considering it was around 12 feet away I'm stunned by the clarity of this massive crop
pushing the limits by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I would arm myself with mikes link and take yours back to the shop show them it and demand a new camera ,and many thanks for the heads up to both you and mike it is indeed something to be watched .I wonder if a cheapo battery grip would prevent this happening . if it was a out of warranty job I would be tempted to superglue or plastic-weld it back on as it doesn't move when you open the screen

If it was within the first couple of months that is what I would do, but after 6mths they will insist on it sent for repair I imagine. But if they try to pull any nonsense like saying the camera took a knock or whatever, they'll have a fight on their hands. Atm I have a piece of duct tape over it, fits snugly back on but won't stay in place. Could just glue it on, but then ... re-sale value

Not if it’s a proveable common fault ,insist on a new one

That's lovely :D

It's been another no sky flat light day here again today, if you can call it light, and no point even picking up a camera so it's nice to see a picture like that :D

Sure, couple of phone pics showing the piece that came off of the LCD hinge, and the grip starting to come away at the front

View attachment 127703 View attachment 127704

Btw that's just a drop of rain that hit the camera when I went out to take the pic in better light, and what looks like a hair is water from that droplet

Seen the exact same thing on a MFT group on Facebook, though the guy lives in America. Seems to possibly be a common issue. Hoping mine doesn't go the same way, it is now about 7 months old.

Seen the exact same thing on a MFT group on Facebook, though the guy lives in America. Seems to possibly be a common issue. Hoping mine doesn't go the same way, it is now about 7 months old.

If it was the Micro Four Nerds group I saw it and posted mine up too, exact same issue, he's been told by the store he bought from that it might not be covered under warranty due to "impact damage" - I know for certain mine wasn't caused by any impact, you only have to look at mine above, it's like new still, not a scratch on it. If they try pull that crap with me I'll show them every link to the same issue I can find

a large fly ? from Sunday
the poseur fly by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
waiting ? by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Flesh fly I think, can be hard to nail them down so many different kinds. But similar to the bottle fly I shot other day too, but the bottle fly has a more green/blue almost metalic looking back. I love the tit bits you discover when searching for their ID -

"These flies are known to lay eggs in cadaver tissue in the wild within hours after death. The developmental stage of their larvae in the cadaver can be used for accurate determination of the time of death." - Charming

Last edited:
Went out yesterday and bought myself a Panasonic GX80 and Leica 100-400mm lens.

Haven't had a proper go with it yet but anyone have any suggestions on what to do out of the box? I've changed the AF to single point and made it as small as possible. Also, changed the video to 4k rather than the 1080p it was set to. Got a week before I go to Thailand and want to take this combo with me for birding. So I'd better get practising lol.

So just wondering if any tips for what worked better when changed?

Cheers,
Wez

Stop the image review and anything that slows it down, forgot the other things :(

Congratulations, remember its a learning curve after DSLRs

Make sure you have the focus limiter switched on if your not doing close ups, it finds the target quicker

Went out yesterday and bought myself a Panasonic GX80 and Leica 100-400mm lens.

Haven't had a proper go with it yet but anyone have any suggestions on what to do out of the box? I've changed the AF to single point and made it as small as possible. Also, changed the video to 4k rather than the 1080p it was set to. Got a week before I go to Thailand and want to take this combo with me for birding. So I'd better get practising lol.

So just wondering if any tips for what worked better when changed?

Cheers,
Wez

That's an interesting question and I'd like to hear what others think. I have a sneaking suspicion that making the focus point as small as possible may not be the best thing to do for some subjects as maybe the smallest point may not give the system enough to lock on to. I've been through this with both my MFT cameras and my A7 and my suspicion is that for me not having the point at it's smallest works best but this could also be subject and lighting / contrast dependant.

Off to Thailand? My wife is from Chonburi, where are you going? Been before? Hope you have a good time and I can't see how you wouldn't as it's a fantastic place :D

as above I made my focus point tiny and it fails to lock on properly ,,if your doing macro you will find manual focus works best especially if you set the p.i.p to full screen and set to longest time

Last edited:
Back