"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

changing tack I have just bought a olympus om-d e-m10.mk2 at a giveaway price brand new ,my initial thoughts were to use it as a back up with my smaller lenses ,however after trying it out and getting the settings right it seems ?? to me to focus faster and more accurately than my g80 with quite easy to use controls .I still need to do comprehensive field tests but so far this is my general impression . anyone else changed from panasonic to olympus bodies ,thoughts ???

changing tack I have just bought a olympus om-d e-m10.mk2 at a giveaway price brand new ,my initial thoughts were to use it as a back up with my smaller lenses ,however after trying it out and getting the settings right it seems ?? to me to focus faster and more accurately than my g80 with quite easy to use controls .I still need to do comprehensive field tests but so far this is my general impression . anyone else changed from panasonic to olympus bodies ,thoughts ???

Apart from a lack of usable AF-C on my EM10MK11 (which i felt i had on the G80) i found it to be just as good as the G80 and i preferred the files from it,when i used it with the 100-400 i liked to have this ebay grip on it grip

The two downsides to the grip are it moves your finger back from the shutter button, and its tight getting the battery and card out, i have got used to it now.

cheers mike ,personally I dont find the AF-C on the g80 to be much use .but I might be wrong as according to my lad I had the shutter set to fast ,so its a back to trial period again

Just joined the Panasonic G club, bought a GX80 and 12-32.

Quite impressed so far and thinking of getting a prime or two, maybe starting with the 15mm f1.7.
Couple of questions if you would be so kind, can you use a wired remote on this camera and can it be operated via an app from an Android phone?

Have read the manual, but still a bit unclear especially on the latter point, thank you

Yes indeed Keith I had a few eos.m cameras in the past ,firstly the cameras themselves are o.k but compared to olly/pano ones they are extremely basic ,they work but in a limited capability ,next the native lenses work but again are very basic the only decent prime being the 22mm . If you use a adaptor however you can use any canon fit lens but then the triple whammy comes into effect the lenses are bulky ,heavy and very expensive .why do you think I sold all my canon gear
I don't really see any great advantage for APS-C over MFT and the limited number of native lenses are only going to be a bit bigger with a Canon APS-C CSC or a lot bigger if using DSLR lenses with an adapter.

From the outside looking in the Canon CSC's seem to be behind the others for performance and maybe only for people who must have a Canon despite this because of the badge or to use DSLR lenses on. Maybe I'm being unkind but I see nothing in the Canon CSC's to interest me.

I'm not bashing Canon, I had a Canon RF and SLR's too for years and I had their DSLR's for about 10 years but personally I think times have moved on and Canon haven't yet.

Aye, maybe they're really only of benefit to those already holding a bunch of EF lenses? I've just seen some vids on Viltrox adapters with Canon lenses mounted on G80/Gh5/G9 and it intrigued me. Then came across the M series, had never really looked into them before, briefly looked to them when deciding on the G80 - the IBIS was the more attractive so went this direction.

Quite impressed so far and thinking of getting a prime or two, maybe starting with the 15mm f1.7.
Couple of questions if you would be so kind, can you use a wired remote on this camera and can it be operated via an app from an Android phone?

Have read the manual, but still a bit unclear especially on the latter point, thank you

There is an app that allows you to connect wirelessly to the camera via Android or Apple phone. It can be used as a remote, you can also transfer images and all the usual tricks with these apps. One great thing is it doesn't limit the video recording like some others do, you can use it to record 4K and monitor it on the phone

There is an app that allows you to connect wirelessly to the camera via Android or Apple phone. It can be used as a remote, you can also transfer images and all the usual tricks with these apps. One great thing is it doesn't limit the video recording like some others do, you can use it to record 4K and monitor it on the phone

Cheers for that, will give it a go shortly and see how it goes, can't be any worse than the Fuji remote app or can it?
Just weighed in on a 15mm f1.7, sort of focal length I use quite a bit and supposed to be a good lens

Cheers for that, will give it a go shortly and see how it goes, can't be any worse than the Fuji remote app or can it?
Just weighed in on a 15mm f1.7, sort of focal length I use quite a bit and supposed to be a good lens

The 15 1.7 is one of the sharpest 4/3 lenses you can get [according to various reviews + DXOmark] I fancied it myself for a bit but ended up with a Samyang 12mm F2 for more width

On that video the guy shows how to get to the wireless via the menu, but by default it was already on a function button on the G80, not sure about the GX80, but you can set it to any of the Fn buttons [just hold the fn button down to change to whatever you like]

Last edited:
Any Pany users ever though about dipping toes into Canon M waters? Just a very loose pondering here, say something like the Canon M100 with the adapter for EF lenses, add a Viltrox ef-m2 to your kit and you can also use the same lenses on your Panasonic - could be interesting

Videocentric, but might be of interest Keith.

View: https://youtu.be/Bs9xXotPl2Q

Cheers,

Simon.

cheers mike ,personally I dont find the AF-C on the g80 to be much use .but I might be wrong as according to my lad I had the shutter set to fast ,so its a back to trial period again

The first Panasonic camera I’ve owned that I feel has something approaching usable AF-C is the G9. Before that Ieither used AF-S (which I’ve always found faster and more accurate than any DSLR I’ve owned), or I prefocused.

Something like a D500 will own the G9 in terms of AF-C ability IMHO, but the G9 is pretty good.

Simon.

The PL 15mm F1.7 is one of the best lenses I’ve ever owned. I stupidly sold the one I had, and have regretted it ever since. Great focal length, super sharp and lovely rendering. I certainly couldn’t find anything not to like :)

Simon.

Videocentric, but might be of interest Keith.

View: https://youtu.be/Bs9xXotPl2Q

Cheers,

Simon.

"other things better than the M5 or 6 include syphilis and being on fire" :LOL:

He has a lot of praise for the M50 though, when it comes to colour reproduction, image quality etc ... and video AF [in 1080p]- He slates the G80's AF quite a bit - but this was pre-G80 firmware upgrades - He recommends the M50 in the end

Last edited:

I've been out of the photography game for a while, but I've been lured back - also by a GX80/12-32 (£399 from John Lewis - ridiculous price)..

Took it to Dublin over the weekend just gone and my initial impressions are really good. I found the handling easy to get to grips with. I haven't had a chance to review all the images I shot yet, but the L.Monochrome simulation is stunning - just how I used to like my HP5 images to look back-in-the-day.

I'm also eyeing-up the Summilux 15mm as a "street" lens, and I'll be looking for something longer soon as I'm off to Costa Rica in September. Not sure I can run to the Leica 100-400, so may "settle" for the Lumix 100-300. The Only 40-150 looks nice, but I'm worried 150mm may not be long enough.

Last edited:
I've been out of the photography game for a while, but I've been lured back - also by a GX80/12-32 (£399 from John Lewis - ridiculous price)..

Took it to Dublin over the weekend just gone and my initial impressions are really good. I found the handling easy to get to grips with. I haven't had a chance to review all the images I shot yet, but the L.Monochrome simulation is stunning - just how I used to like my HP5 images to look back-in-the-day.

I'm also eyeing-up the Summilux 15mm as a "street" lens, and I'll be looking for something longer soon as I'm off to Costa Rica in September. Not sure I can run to the Leica 100-400, so may "settle" for the Lumix 100-300. The Only 40-150 looks nice, but I'm worried 150mm may not be long enough.

I got it for a travel camera, my daughter went to m43 and it was seeing her photos that prompted me to give it a try.
My camera and lens came from the classifieds, bargain at £310 with only 100 shots taken on it.
Got the 15mm f1.7 coming on Friday, not sure if I will get something like a 25mm or just use the zoom for now.

My daughter has the Lumix 100-300, once she got the hang of it some of her photos from an airshow were decent enough.
Keeping my Fuji gear, the photos from the 24mp sensor are better, but the little Panasonic is very handy and the ibis is great.

Got the wi-fi working, didn't have any luck with the qr code and having to input a generated password seems very long winded.
After further research it seems there is no provision for a wired remote release, bit disappointed about that.

Thanks for the assistance, there may be more questions to come

GX-9 is a bargain at the moment with the new cash back rates !

£539 inc 12-32 lens after £150 cashback !

Prompted by another thread...

I've been going through old family albums and slowly digitising some old pictures. This was copied with my GX7 and 12-35mm f2.8.

Whole picture.

1-P1020218.jpg

A crop.

P1020218-1.jpg

This is a heavy crop.

P1020218-2.jpg

The second picture, the slight crop above, is 14 x 9.5 inch or there abouts and the heavy crop is 5.25 x 8.3 inch or there abouts. If you can use your imagination a little you might be able to believe that the digital pictures saved as quality 12 (CS5) are perfectly useable and have made nice prints and in the case of the heavy crop look lovely at A5. It's my mam and she'll soon be 89 so that's quite an old snap :D

I sold the GX7 so I'm now using my GX80 and may switch to using my GX9. It's going to take a while to copy them all but I think it's worth doing to make these pictures more accessible to the family. They're up on walls throughout the family so I'm very happy :D

Last edited:
Prompted by another thread...

I've been going through old family albums and slowly digitising some old pictures. This was copied with my GX7 and 12-35mm f2.8.

Whole picture.

View attachment 130297

A crop.

View attachment 130293

This is a heavy crop.

View attachment 130294

The second picture, the slight crop above, is 14 x 9.5 inch or there abouts and the heavy crop is 5.25 x 8.3 inch or there abouts. If you can use your imagination a little you might be able to believe that the digital pictures saved as quality 12 (CS5) are perfectly useable and have made nice prints and in the case of the heavy crop look lovely at A5. It's my mam and she'll soon be 89 so that's quite an old snap :D

I sold the GX7 so I'm now using my GX80 and may switch to using my GX9. It's going to take a while to copy them all but I think it's worth doing to make these pictures more accessible to the family. They're up on walls throughout the family so I'm very happy :D
Alan are you second from left back row?;)

hehehe, as it's my mam at the front that would be some trick :D

This is me. I don't remember but from the looks of this I was in the Hitler Youth.

Alan-4r.jpg

Some of the colour ones can be more difficult to copy but so far I haven't found an old print that I haven't been able to make a useable copy of and I'm very happy that these are on peoples tablets, phones and even walls now :D

Actually one very sad thing is that there are a few photographs of people we can't identify. Obviously someone cared enough to take their picture so we're happy to assume they're either members of our extended family or good friends. This chap for example.

P1020228-1.jpg

Very interesting use of a camera as opposed to doing this with a scanner.

Out of curiosity, are you using any "special" setup - lighting, etc?

And have you put anything over the photos to hold them flat (sheet of anti-glare glass, for example?

There's no special setup as I havent got one, I just put the pictures on the floor and shoot from above when I think the light is ok.

I wanted to digitise and preserve the pictures and it's an added bonus that it's got the wider family looking at and displaying the pictures, for the first time in a long time in some instances. The colour pictures of my dad in uniform as a young man and pictures of my grandfather and grandmother and great grand parents are ones that really stand out for me.

Last edited:
I thought I'd take some flower shots with my GX9 today and I got a surprise as exposure compensation doesn't work in manual exposure mode with manual lenses. It works in aperture but not in manual and the back dial which I had set to exp. comp. (as the dedicated wheel is waaaaay too stiff to be useable with the camera to my eye) instead calls up the magnified view. Why???? WTF Panasonic?

I've been waiting to get exposure comp with auto ISO for years and now I have it... I haven't... not with manual lenses anyway. AF lenses it's ok but with manual it's a farce. I'm not really surprised as this is Panasonic but I am massively disappointed as yet again I have what I see as a half arsed implementation from Panasonic of something that's worked with Sony kit for years. This was a big part of why I bought the GX9. Oh well... disappointment yet again.

I thought I'd take some flower shots with my GX9 today and I got a surprise as exposure compensation doesn't work in manual exposure mode with manual lenses. It works in aperture but not in manual and the back dial which I had set to exp. comp. (as the dedicated wheel is waaaaay too stiff to be useable with the camera to my eye) instead calls up the magnified view. Why???? WTF Panasonic?

I've been waiting to get exposure comp with auto ISO for years and now I have it... I haven't... not with manual lenses anyway. AF lenses it's ok but with manual it's a farce. I'm not really surprised as this is Panasonic but I am massively disappointed as yet again I have what I see as a half arsed implementation from Panasonic of something that's worked with Sony kit for years. This was a big part of why I bought the GX9. Oh well... disappointment yet again.

That would have caught me, i wouldnt have thought to check it.

I've pretty much given up using manual lenses on MFT now except for my 50mm macro so this is bad news for me and yet another seemingly needless disappointment. It could probably be fixed via a firmware update but I won't hold my breath.

I've been with Panasonic since the GF1 but in some ways it's always been a frustrating and disappointing time.

Exp comp in manual mode? It's not a thing in general, not just with Panasonic. It is full manual, you completely control the exposure, unless I'm reading you wrong?

I've pretty much given up using manual lenses on MFT now except for my 50mm macro so this is bad news for me and yet another seemingly needless disappointment. It could probably be fixed via a firmware update but I won't hold my breath.

I've been with Panasonic since the GF1 but in some ways it's always been a frustrating and disappointing time.

Alan,

When in full manual mode (and on a camera that then allows EV compensation), does it change shutter speed, aperture or ISO when you dial in more or less EV, and how does it know what you want to change? When I shoot manual on my G9, the front dial does shutter speed, the rear dial aperture and the dial around the menu button does ISO. Not sure how having EV compensation available would help.

Simon.

Exp comp in manual mode? It's not a thing in general, not just with Panasonic. It is full manual, you completely control the exposure, unless I'm reading you wrong?

When light levels drop in aperture priority the camera will often select too slow a shutter speed such as 1/60 which in is often useless, switch to shutter and dial in a useable shutter soeed and the camera will probably shoot wide open which again could be useless so the answer is to switch to manual and dial in useable aperture and shutter settings and control the exposure by dialling in exp comp with auto ISO. That works with AF lenses and makes shooting at social events and moving subjects much easier but not with MF as there's no exp comp in manual mode.

Yes it can all be done manually but setting everything manually takes time when it could be done so much quicker. The Sony system makes this seem like something from 1951.

I'll have to have a think. I bought this camera for two reasons, to try the 20mp chip and for exp comp in manual with auto ISO and the latter only works with AF lenses. Yet again I'm very disappointed with a Pany camera and I'll have to decide if I want to keep it as at the moment I'd love to kick it over a headge or better still launch it at the head of whoever at Pany set it like this.

Grrrrrrrr.

:(

Alan,

When in full manual mode (and on a camera that then allows EV compensation), does it change shutter speed, aperture or ISO when you dial in more or less EV, and how does it know what you want to change? When I shoot manual on my G9, the front dial does shutter speed, the rear dial aperture and the dial around the menu button does ISO. Not sure how having EV compensation available would help.

Simon.

Aperture and shutter stay the same and you control the exposure by dialling in exp comp with another control and change the ISO. For me having this work it's a big advantage when the light drops and not having it slows things up a lot.

Can you not just use auto ISO? As light levels change with fixed shutter speed and aperture, the ISO will react accordingly. Why do you need exposure compensation?

As soon as anything 'auto' is introduced, it's no longer manual mode IMHO. Any camera I have ever had I used mostly in M mode, never felt the need for auto ISO. Personal preference. I do occasionally switch to aperture priority, for when I want to just shoot on the fly, but most of the time I do that I'll have the exp comp set to -1 or a little less and just leave it there. It ensures faster shutter speeds and the slight underexposing is easy pull back if needed in post.

Last edited:
Alan, I'm also not sure I'm understanding the issue.
In Manual mode, you set the aperture, shutter speed and ISO to whatever you want.
Lets say you've metered and chosen to shoot at f/5.6, 1/250s @ ISO400. If you want to make the scene lighter or darker you can adjust any one of these to adjust accordingly - if you want to use f/5.6 for the DOF and 1/250s to avoid shake that leaves the ISO - I assume the Sony is doing this for you in the example you've mentioned.

So why can't you just do that anyway? On your Sony, if you want -1/3 EV just change the ISO accordingly. Surely the bet effect is exactly the same? Unless I'm missing something...

I don't even have to think when making quick exp adjustments now, once I get to know the camera well, a quick flick of a dial to change ISO or shutter speed, the 2 I will change most, unless it's video then you'll more likely stop down the aperture or upping the ISO. You're never really fiddling about between them.

Last edited:
As soon as anything 'auto' is introduced, it's no longer manual mode IMHO.
I can't see why it matters at all. A digital camera is just a sensor attached to a processor. Everything is programmed and "manual mode" is simply selecting which part of a programme to activate. 50 years ago I used "sunny 16" to set my exposure and the instructions that came with the dev to choose time and temperature. Now it's fun to put the camera on "IA" and concentrate on choosing the moment to press the button. If your mileage varies then enjoy it but we should encourage others to enjoy their preferred methods as well.

Last edited:
I agree with AndrewFlannigan. How much Auto or Manual control you use in your photography , at the end of the day it's a personal choice. I work in both modes as the mood takes me. I am more interested getting the composition 'right'. I tend to exercise more control when using my FF Nikon kit, with my G80 when going walk-about I am content to let it decide.

I can't see why it matters at all. A digital camera is just a sensor attached to a processor. Everything is programmed and "manual mode" is simply selecting which part of a programme to activate. 50 years ago I used "sunny 16" to set my exposure and the instructions that came with the dev to choose time and temperature. Now it's fun to put the camera on "IA" and concentrate on choosing the moment to press the button. If your mileage varies then enjoy it but we should encourage others to enjoy their preferred methods as well.
I agree with AndrewFlannigan. How much Auto or Manual control you use in your photography , at the end of the day it's a personal choice. I work in both modes as the mood takes me. I am more interested getting the composition 'right'. I tend to exercise more control when using my FF Nikon kit, with my G80 when going walk-about I am content to let it decide.

You do as you like, but M mode, is what photographers used all the time way back, so don't start on about how 'iA' makes it so much easier, because it doesn't! It's laziness, you have like one or two more things to consider ... OH NO!!!! how melodramatic.

Shoot how you like folks, but stop ganging up thinking it's going to make you somehow right , lol - maybe learn the exp triangle better?

Back