"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Here's another one of the little sweetie (again G9 with Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2)

Been a bit busier sorting upcoming Christmas stuff, so not been shooting much = also having crappy laptop issues again and trying to process anything on the backup I have is much too frustrating a chore. New PC/laptop now prioritised over any photo gear for the new year :/

Sorry for more pictures of the dogs, but they are a goldmine at the moment,

When the wife bought Daisy 2 weeks ago, I was very concerned that our 3 year old Cocker, Charlie wouldn't' take to her and what would happen if that was the case, well it seems I'd needn't have worried.......

Sorry for more pictures of the dogs, but they are a goldmine at the moment,

When the wife bought Daisy 2 weeks ago, I was very concerned that our 3 year old Cocker, Charlie wouldn't' take to her and what would happen if that was the case, well it seems I'd needn't have worried.......

Lovely dogs :) post as many as you like. Gone are the days I used my kids as models to test out new gear, nowadays only the cats will oblige :D And animals are better subjects really, more fine detail - humans are boring :D

My rescue beagle Sadie has 'her chair' in front of a secondary wall mounted TV.

When she is sitting up she is nicely framed against the black screen.

These taken with the GX8 and panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 lens.

i-wqZsGfj-X2.jpg

i-MjJpLNQ-X2.jpg

i-ZchRpfV-X2.jpg

We lost our beagle this year , cancer unfortunately , gone but not forgotten , 10 years of mayhem :D

Sorry it's a Nikon shot

Sorry to hear that Baz, heartbreaking when you lose them.

“ 10 years of mayhem” I think I can identify with that statement after being a beagle owner for approx 6 months.

As an experienced dog owner I can honestly say this beagle is like no other dog I have known. We love her to bits but would we have another . . . . Errr ! Let me think on that. Is she not the brightest dog in the pack or is she just strong willed and stubborn ? The jury is out.

As an experienced dog owner I can honestly say this beagle is like no other dog I have known. We love her to bits but would we have another . . . . Errr ! Let me think on that. Is she not the brightest dog in the pack or is she just strong willed and stubborn ? The jury is out.

Correct they are unlike any other dog , I tell everybody not to get one! Yes we loved Snoopy , but my God he was hard work , stubborn ? oh yes , they have their own agenda , they know what you say but just ignore it unless (you know what I'm going to say next Roy) food is involved , that is their agenda , food . Beagles , four legged hoovers :p

a mid range tripod from my lad

A tripod is something I've been considering. I had a really solid Giottos one but sold it as it wasn't getting enough use. It's one of those things, when you got it, you don't use it enough, when you don't you feel like you need it. The biggest problem for me with tripods is carrying the buggers on the bike. Even the lightest ones are awkward and I don't like big bags - the kind that you can attach them to.

I already have the new one from the lad , its a induro AT014 which is mid range and fairly lightweight , a easy way for him to get me something for xmas . but I already have a very large unbranded G/F one with my jobu gimbal on it for the owls where your hanging around for hours , that goes to about 7 foot high . and I recently bought a velbon one with a fluid head for video work . when and if I will use them is another matter .but we shall see

A few from last week, couldn't process any images for a bit as my main laptop was acting the tit yet again so was left with my 7-year old back up POS, fine for surfing the interwebs but no-go for image processing.

45-150 + Raynox on the first 2, Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 on the bird
Microshroom by K G, on Flickr
Green Dew by K G, on Flickr
Weather check by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
of course , I do that with every shot from every camera I have ever owned

Aye, I remember having to do a little NR with D800 files even, and that was a beat in low light, you'd still get some noise even at lower levels for macro/close up, where everything gets magnified.

im considering getting a camera for my daughter for xmas,looking at Sony A6000 or Panny GX80 both with kit.any comments thoughts gladly accepted
ps.ive had an A6000 myself and quite liked it but think she might like the John lewis tan and silver Panny

Last edited:
I have a GX80 and I think it's a nice camera. The only real criticisms I have are that they removed the physical AF/MF/AF/AE lock switch and button arrangement, there's no exposure compensation in manual mode, there's no constant DoF preview other than in manual exposure mode and the EVF is by todays standard pretty poor. On the positive side of things it has a nice shutter shock free shutter and you can shoot silently with the electronic shutter which I don't think the A6000 has.

There's probably in excess of 2,000 ever so slightly different variations of kit lens available for these now and I'm sure they're releasing more every week. I have the tiny prime sized 14-42mm mega f3.5-5.6 OIS G vario and I've been impressed with it. It's very compact and perfectly useable from wide open.

I keep looking at the A6xxx range but nothing I've seen yet has persuaded me to buy one and sell my MFT kit even though the RF style Panasonic bodies have that poor field sequential EVF which is IMO their biggest issue. I'm sure that the A6000 will give ever so slightly better image quality at science fiction level ISO's from its ever so slightly bigger sensor but I'm not sure it matters all that much really.

The Sony cameras do have lovely constant DoF and exposure in the EVF at all times in all modes (if you want it) though and not having that with MFT does make the latter feel a little behind the times.

Maybe the decision could come down to what the camera and lens costs or maybe if silent shooting is a requirement the MFT camera could win out.

Good luck choosing.

Last edited:
Thanks Alan,hopefully it might be down to her choosing which would get me off the hook but I will show her yours and any subsequent posts also

im considering getting a camera for my daughter for xmas,looking at Sony A6000 or Panny GX80 both with kit.any comments thoughts gladly accepted
ps.ive had an A6000 myself and quite liked it but think she might like the John lewis tan and silver Panny

This is one of the better comparison sites which goes into some considerable detail about the two cameras.

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/panasonic-gx80-vs-sony-a6000

I've had my secondhand GX80 and kit lens for just a week, it had just 160 shots on the clock. I bought it specifically for the 4K video capability coupled with the very good image stabilisation capabilities (in body or dual IS with certain lenses, including the kit lens). The viewfinder is definitely a case of try before you buy, it's fine for me but others do experience viewing a tearing rainbow effect when moving the camera. I've really bonded with the camera and it's almost as good as my favourite camera for use, my Olympus OMD EM 10 Mk1.

Secondhand, these cameras are a close match for price at the likes of MPB. If buying new, the GX80 is a fair bit cheaper at the moment and subsequent lens costs will be likely to be lower than Sony glass. As to which is best will depend entirely of the weight given the the specification differences by the photographer.

I don't think either of these have very good evf, usable but neither will overly impress. But it would appear that the Pany evf is slightly better between these models. The main things to consider here IMO would be if she likes to shoot a lot of video and also lens choice. Will she be happy enough with a kit lens or will she want to explore some nice primes over time? For video and a good range of cheap and cheerful but at the same time excellent primes - GX80, the IBIS alone makes it much better for video in particular. If she really needs better ISO performance for low light shooting, A6000 [I see that as being the only advantage tbh for the Sony] and I'm not sure the A6000 will be much better in that regard. Later models would be for sure but the A6000 is getting on a bit now.

Last edited:
I don't think either of these have very good evf, usable but neither will overly impress. But it would appear that the Pany evf is slightly better between these models.

I think you must be one of the very few who believe this. In fact I've never heard or read anyone say that before. But, each to his own and the buyer must make their own mind up.

I think you must be one of the very few who believe this. In fact I've never heard or read anyone say that before. But, each to his own and the buyer must make their own mind up.

Believe which part? I'm going by the specs, compared to other cameras. I'm sure they are ok, but you're not going to be blown away is what I mean. You've never heard anyone say the GX80 evf isn't great or that it's better than the A6000 evf? There's probably a dozen such posts in this very thread if you want to search them on the GX80 evf. I've seen people post exactly this numerous times, so I'm going by that + actual spec. In the link just above posted by Harvey it specifically states that the GX80 evf is better than the A6000 "
  • More detailed viewfinder: Has higher resolution electronic viewfinder (2765k vs 1440k dots).

Not sure which part you're picking at here, I didn't even read your post, looking at it now you mean the part about the GX80 having a better evf? I'm going strictly by the comparison in Harvey's post on that, specs are not always a true reflection of performance of course.

We are doing exactly that btw, helping the buyer decide, best to know all the facts.

Last edited:
Believe what? I'm going by the specs, compared to other cameras. I'm sure they are ok, but you're not going to be blown away is what I mean. You've never heard anyone say the GX80 evf isn't great? There's probably a dozen such posts in this very thread if you want to search them. I've seen people post exactly this numerous times, so I'm going by that + actual spec. No point saying it's grand, best to know what you're buying into. The buyer asked, we're helping him do just that. In the link just above posted by Harvey it specifically states that the GX80 evf is better than the A6000 "
  • More detailed viewfinder: Has higher resolution electronic viewfinder (2765k vs 1440k dots).

I have better things to do that search this thread, just sayin, I think yours is a minority view but if you've based it on specs that explains it.

My issue with the field sequential evf isn't the rainbow tearing that some see it's that it's difficult to impossible to get a sharp image throughout the whole display and any movement of the eye away from the centre throws it all off. I don't know if the issue is the actual evf or whatever optics Panasonic have put in front of it (I think that's possibly the problem) but whatever the issue is it is IMO pants by todays standards and nowhere near even the perceived quality (as you use the thing, not when reading the spec sheet) of the Nex series I used.

Last edited:
I have better things to do that search this thread, just sayin, I think yours is a minority view but if you've based it on specs that explains it.

My issue with the field sequential evf isn't the rainbow tearing that some see it's that it's difficult to impossible to get a sharp image throughout the whole display and any movement of the eye away from the centre throws it all off. I don't know if the issue is the actual evf or whatever optics Panasonic have put in front of it (I think that's possibly the problem) but whatever the issue is it is IMO pants by todays standards and nowhere near even the perceived quality (as you use the thing, not when reading the spec sheet) of the Nex series I used.

Specs are there for a reason, why not just say you've actually compared both instead of being a pedantic narky git? :D You're on here all day it seems, of course you have time to check this thread if you wanted to :D And I meant to do that in relation to the GX80 evf, you're post wasn't clear as to what you were contesting. Anything else I said you'd like to nit pick while you're at it? It'd be easier to just state that you tried both and the A6000 has a better vef, no need for arguing about it is there? ;) I gave up that nonsense a while back

If she uses the LCD most of the time evf might be the least important factor either way. We're trying to help, I'm not looking to score points here.

Actually, let's ask @SsSsSsSsSnake - How important is the evf? or will she mostly be composing via LCD. No point dithering on about the evf if it's not a big factor in the choice

Last edited:
Specs are there for a reason, why not just say you've actually compared both instead of being a pedantic narky git? :D You're on here all day it seems, of course you have time to check this thread if you wanted to :D And I meant to do that in relation to the GX80 evf, you're post wasn't clear as to what you were contesting. Anything else I said you'd like to nit pick while you're at it? It'd be easier to just state that you tried both and the A6000 has a better vef, no need for arguing about it is there? ;) I gave up that nonsense a while back

If she uses the LCD most of the time evf might be the least important factor either way. We're trying to help, I'm not looking to score points here.

Actually, let's ask @SsSsSsSsSnake - How important is the evf? or will she mostly be composing via LCD. No point dithering on about the evf if it's not a big factor in the choice

I wondered how long it'd take you to start the sniping? Proud of yourself?

I'm a full time carer and often tied to the house and my pc is often on for hours but I actually spend maybe a total of 1/2 an hour to an hour reading and posting on here per day, if I'm having a quiet day and in between doing other things. ok?

I will just add something else on the GX80 v A6xxx choice...

The Panny has two control dials which can be used for aperture/shutter/exposure compensation whereas the Sony only has the one and for the other function you have to spin the big wheel around the four pads on the back... if you can follow that. A look at the cameras on one of the review sites should clarify what I'm talking about. Personally I much prefer having the front and back dials at the top of the camera as Panny do it rather than using the back wheel with the Sony.

I'll let you get back to reading specs, sniping and arguing with anyone who'll waste their time doing that with you now. And here's a :D for you too.

I wondered how long it'd take you to start the sniping? Proud of yourself?

I'm a full time carer and often tied to the house and my pc is often on for hours but I actually spend maybe a total of 1/2 an hour to an hour reading and posting on here per day, if I'm having a quiet day and in between doing other things. ok?

I will just add something else on the GX80 v A6xxx choice...

The Panny has two control dials which can be used for aperture/shutter/exposure compensation whereas the Sony only has the one and for the other function you have to spin the big wheel around the four pads on the back... if you can follow that. A look at the cameras on one of the review sites should clarify what I'm talking about. Personally I much prefer having the front and back dials at the top of the camera as Panny do it rather than using the back wheel with the Sony.

I'll let you get back to reading specs, sniping and arguing with anyone who'll waste their time doing that with you now. And here's a :D for you too.

The :D were laughing AT you, not with, just to be very clear.

It's called responding, to your clearly narky comments anyone with an ounce of sense will see that, and you're still at it because it's all you do on these forums. You weren't responding to me, I didn't even read your comment as I mentioned, I was simply offering my help to the person who actually asked. You were challenging me over an evf ... the only negative point I made, why you get so defensive over Sony gear I will never understand.

You don't think this sounded a bit pompous? I don't check specs for any other reason but to inform someone who's asking. Are you blind that you didn't see Harvey was the one posted them btw? It was linked for this reason, for comparison, this is not my personal opinion only. I never quoted or asked for your opinion to begin with, actually take it that I never will. And don't ruin this thread, thanks.

Last edited:
A6000 myself and quite liked it but think she might like the John lewis tan and silver Panny

I had a A6000 and couldn't adapt to it after DSLRs , bloody expensive as well , I have just sold my Tan and Silver Panny GX80 on this forum , great camera and the wife loved it's look (if that counts for anything) , I'm getting a black GX9 soon just a bit of a change and the fact my remaining lenses are all black .
Buy her the Tan Panny :D

I had a A6000 and couldn't adapt to it after DSLRs , bloody expensive as well , I have just sold my Tan and Silver Panny GX80 on this forum , great camera and the wife loved it's look (if that counts for anything) , I'm getting a black GX9 soon just a bit of a change and the fact my remaining lenses are all black .
Buy her the Tan Panny :D

Since you've actually used both, what do you suggest for SsSsSsnake's daughter? I have a[n almost 15yr old] and I think I'd go for the GX80, I know she'd barely use the evf, the new gen don't tend to care much about shooting this way. Most of them have been brought up using LCD for composing. I think the IBIS, touch screen and cheap neat and tidy lens selection is enough along with the overall newer tech.

At 3:00 into this review he shows how good the LCD is in bright light, and at 6:00m he talks about the evf. His only complaint is that it's too small physically, to get your eye in close, and says pretty much what I just did, that it's not a big issue as the LCD is good enough for composition

Last edited:
Back