"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

blackfox seems to have gone AWOL! He's not posted any of his lovely bird images in a while! I've not been posting anything myself either, been shooting away with the G80 and 12-40, really enjoying that combination, but mostly just family stuff since Christmas, not really been inspired to go shoot anything significant this year yet. Hoping I re-discover my mojo soon!

Beautiful birds and images lads :) Yeah I know Jeff went back to his Nikon roots, do miss his bird shots on here though. We had a pet-death here last week, our oldest cat Scrappy died, so it might actually be easier for me to set up some bird shots again - she had been making it difficult! We still have the other whelp, Scout, who also chases the birds but not as much, she's more an in house cat where Scrappy definitely preferred to patrol the garden.

As a tribute, not a new pic but it is a Pany G80 image so acceptable, here's Scrappy shot with the G80 + PL 15mm f/1.7
Monorail Cat by K G, on Flickr

Yep as surmised I have been using the Nikon gear when I have actually been arsed to go out , still got the g80 and 100-400 in reality put aside for the wife to use , it’s a horses for courses situation bit like having a crop and full frame pair of bodies ,which do you use first

Bought the Panasonic Grip for my GX9, soon be sending it back
Whose bright idea was that to not have a cut out so you can't access the battery or memory card?

The ones I have had for my Fuji's have the appropriate cut out and just assumed they would all be like that.
No photo of the base on the product website page, now I know why not, no Arca rail either
What a half arsed effort, don't these people have any common sense at all

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your cat Keith, ours died a couple of years ago and we still miss him, he was such a character.

Took this Robin shot at RSPB Leighton Moss on Friday:

Robin - Leighton Moss by Ian Wilkinson, on Flickr

It's always sad to lose a pet, it was tough on the kids more so because this was their first one - growing up we buried many a pet in the garden, doesn't make it easier each time just more used to it happening.

|Lovely wee Robin there, I have a couple that come to our garden regular

Bought the Panasonic Grip for my GX9, soon be sending it back
Whose bright idea was that to not have a cut out so you can't access the battery or memory card?

The ones I have had for my Fuji's have the appropriate cut out and just assumed they would all be like that.
No photo of the base on the product website page, now I know why not, no Arca rail either
What a half arsed effort, don't these people have any common sense at all

That is pretty dumb, many third party grips have an opening for the battery, must be one out there for the Gx9

Hi Everyone

Feeling sad :( Took my trust Panasonic DMC-GM5 out of its bag for an upcoming holiday (its when it gets the most use) and this is what greeted me when powering on:

I've tried a full factory reset and also differnet lenses but all the same. No AF and the exposure and aperture seem locked.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Love the compact nature of the GM5 and they've never updated it so replacing is a challenge.

Hi Everyone

Feeling sad :( Took my trust Panasonic DMC-GM5 out of its bag for an upcoming holiday (its when it gets the most use) and this is what greeted me when powering on:

I've tried a full factory reset and also differnet lenses but all the same. No AF and the exposure and aperture seem locked.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Love the compact nature of the GM5 and they've never updated it so replacing is a challenge.

That sucks! Looks like some kind of liquid damage, this happened to my laptop. The repair shop opened it up and found some sticky liquid was burning inside, had fried the boards - turns out it was e-liquid, spilled into the laptop during travel in a suitcase. Does the evf still work? Only thing I can suggest is put it in a bag of dry rice, maybe it'll soak up some of the liquid/moisture - leave it 24hrs, maybe a few silca gel packs thrown in too, but it all in a box and seal it up

That sucks! Looks like some kind of liquid damage, this happened to my laptop. The repair shop opened it up and found some sticky liquid was burning inside, had fried the boards - turns out it was e-liquid, spilled into the laptop during travel in a suitcase. Does the evf still work? Only thing I can suggest is put it in a bag of dry rice, maybe it'll soak up some of the liquid/moisture - leave it 24hrs, maybe a few silca gel packs thrown in too, but it all in a box and seal it up

Yes, evf shows exactly the same image as the back lcd.
Its not been anywhere near water or/damp. Just stored in my 'man cave' on the camera bits shelf, in its protective neoprene case.
So gutted :(

Yes, evf shows exactly the same image as the back lcd.
Its not been anywhere near water or/damp. Just stored in my 'man cave' on the camera bits shelf, in its protective neoprene case.
So gutted :(

Very strange then, condensation? Can't think of anything else that would randomly cause this

Right guys, a little advice please. Never done any low light photography but thinking of getting my feet wet tomorrow and trying to catch the sunrise.

I’ve got a tripod, Lumix G80, PL 15 F1.7. What would be a good starting point for the settings?

Cheers

Chris

Right guys, a little advice please. Never done any low light photography but thinking of getting my feet wet tomorrow and trying to catch the sunrise.

I’ve got a tripod, Lumix G80, PL 15 F1.7. What would be a good starting point for the settings?

Cheers

Chris

On a tripod you don't have to worry about slower shutter speeds for one, depending on the light, stick to the lowest ISO - if you have extended on then go with 100, otherwise 200 default lowest. Stop down your aperture to 7.1 or F8, this lens is at it's peak there and you'll get tonnes of detail and sharpness for days. Maybe set the camera to A and let it decide the shutter speed.

To set the ISO to extended go to the first icon in the menu [the camera icon] and then to page 6/8, turn extended ISO on here.

Last edited:
On a tripod you don't have to worry about slower shutter speeds for one, depending on the light, stick to the lowest ISO - if you have extended on then go with 100, otherwise 200 default lowest. Stop down your aperture to 7.1 or F8, this lens is at it's peak there and you'll get tonnes of detail and sharpness for days. Maybe set the camera to A and let it decide the shutter speed.

To set the ISO to extended go to the first icon in the menu [the camera icon] and then to page 6/8, turn extended ISO on here.

Thanks Keith, I never made it out of bed for first light today, but I’ll use your advice in the future.

Regards

Chris

Very nice, like that last one the best, location please?
Guessing somewhere like Svalbard or the Lofoten islands

Very nice, like that last one the best, location please?
Guessing somewhere like Svalbard or the Lofoten islands

Very good guess. We were on the Hurtigruten voyage, on passage between Stokmarknes and Svolvaer, so Lofoten (or Vesteralen - not sure where the boundary is...).

First visit to one of Alan Mcfadyen"s hides with @Dale.
We spent the day in the sparrowhawk hide, and these are some of my images.....all taken with My G80 and 100-400 lens.

Sparrowhawk by robert shearer, on Flickr

Great Spotted Woodpecker by robert shearer, on Flickr

Coal Tit by robert shearer, on Flickr

Fantastic images. Thanks for sharing. Wish we lived near the hides!

A simple nature close up, white cherry blossom/Sakura. Actually shot by request for my Father in law - A cherry blossom tree, but with white flower instead of the usual pink, that he spotted near where we live - I was sent on another mission to capture close ups of the flowers - why is it always right outside someone's house!! :D Got the desired shots anyway. G80 + 12-40
Early Cherry, Spring '19 by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some stunning shots from bob up above ,forgotten how bloody good my g.80 and 100-400 is , have to start using it again

Graffiti in the sleet
Goose by K G, on Flickr

Thaw
Spring chill by K G, on Flickr

And a nothing shot of our kitty, she sat across the table from me to beg for leftovers, Kitchen light was off as i was at the Laptop and can't stand overhead lights, and just exposed according to the evf - turned out to be ISO 8000 ... where I rarely ever venture with any camera - perfectly usable I'd say
Where's me supper? by K G, on Flickr

Back