"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Hi All.

Would appreciate and guidance or comments please. I shoot landscapes, macro and occasionally birds - currently on Fuji but am considering switching to MFT for the last two with something like a G9 or GX9 with 100-400 for birds and maybe 60mm for macro. Both lenses review really well and are a lot smaller, lighter and cheaper than the Fuji equivalents.

Any thoughts - good idea/bad idea? Would the 100-400 handle ok on a GX9 ? Anybody shooting macro with the 60mm?

Thanks in advance, Mike.

I tried a few bodies with the 100-400 and found the best to be the G80, the AF-C is very good with it, the Olympus 60mm macro is a great lens

G80 and 100-400

p1100461_25409213777_o.jpg

Hi All.

Would appreciate and guidance or comments please. I shoot landscapes, macro and occasionally birds - currently on Fuji but am considering switching to MFT for the last two with something like a G9 or GX9 with 100-400 for birds and maybe 60mm for macro. Both lenses review really well and are a lot smaller, lighter and cheaper than the Fuji equivalents.

Any thoughts - good idea/bad idea? Would the 100-400 handle ok on a GX9 ? Anybody shooting macro with the 60mm?

Thanks in advance, Mike.

Think you would want the larger body, I have a GX9 and don't think it's really suited to a lens that size.
You could buy the additional grip, badly designed though with no access to battery/card and no arca rails either.
Even the Olympus 12-40 felt a bit big on it to me and use that on an E-M1 instead.
The GX9 is a great camera, but my opinion its best suited to the smaller fast primes.

Nearly bought a G9 at a trade show in January, excellent camera, but it's on the large side for a m4/3 camera
I also left Fuji although still have a X-Pro2 and 10-24, went to m4/3 mainly for ibis in smaller bodies.
Felt the G9 was nearly the size of the X-H1 and defeated the object of the lighter stabilised camera and lenses

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Rich and Mike! I do fancy the G9 but it's a fair whack more expensive... so would I be missing much if I went for the G80 instead, it has fewer pixels doesn't it?
I didn't like the feel of the G80 in my hand and yes it does have less mp's, still think it's worth the extra for the G9.
It appears to be the better camera and should be a goodly price at the upcoming photo show.
Think with cashback and show price it was about 850 quid when I nearly got it.
For my purposes, travel and architecture mainly the GX9 is fine and the E-M1/ 12-40 is also a handy all in one combo
My daughter has the 60mm Macro and takes some great photos with it, definitely better than the Fuji 60mm which I had.
Some very nice m4/3 lenses, Olympus 12mm f2 is one of my favourites along with the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4

Last edited:
Think you would want the larger body, I have a GX9 and don't think it's really suited to a lens that size.
You could buy the additional grip, badly designed though with no access to battery/card and no arca rails either.
Even the Olympus 12-40 felt a bit big on it to me and use that on an E-M1 instead.
The GX9 is a great camera, but my opinion its best suited to the smaller fast primes.

Nearly bought a G9 at a trade show in January, excellent camera, but it's on the large side for a m4/3 camera
I also left Fuji although still have a X-Pro2 and 10-24, went to m4/3 mainly for ibis in smaller bodies.
Felt the G9 was nearly the size of the X-H1 and defeated the object of the lighter stabilised camera and lenses

The IBIS is much better on the G9, afaik it's the best on the market currently at 6.5 stops. For many that alone is worth the bulkier body. Also Fuji have nothing to match the 100-400, it would have to be a 150 - 600 and would be huge.

Thanks a lot Rich and Mike! I do fancy the G9 but it's a fair whack more expensive... so would I be missing much if I went for the G80 instead, it has fewer pixels doesn't it?

I switched from Fuji to M43, I pretty much switched an XT1 + Xpro1 for an em5 and the G80. I love the G80, I find it's a really comfortable camera ergonomically and balances larger lenses pretty well. Feels even nicer when you add the grip [third party decent ones can be had for about £50] I have never really tried birds in flight though, but I know some on here have done like mikew above, and if you check back through the thread for images from Theblackfox used this combination [G80 + 100-400] - I did have the 100-300 and I could use it one handed easily on the G80.

I would love a G9 myself, as I do like a chunky camera. It wasn't the size of the bodies that had me switch, as Fuji bodies like the XT1/2/3 are just as small, smaller even than the larger M43 offerings - it was the overall package in the kit bag weight difference and indeed the IBIS, also I love touch screen and only Canon, Panasonic and Olympus seem to have that proper implemented.

Last edited:
Thanks very much Gents, that's really helpful :)

I'm off to check out some G80 images v G9!

Have done so many times, here's one that shows some good comparison examples:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0FMBPZXQ4E&t=

Not a whole lot in it really, the G9 has better DR if you shoot RAW, it has 4 extra mp but IMO 16mp is plenty enough for M43. What you're getting is at least a stop better IBIS, a high res mode, a top plate LCD, a better EVF [some reviewers have hailed the G9 evf as possibly the best to date - at time of release] oh, and dual card slots!

Last edited:
When I tried the G9 it was the AF speed that Impressed me and the joystick to move the focus point.
The latter really is a big improvement over the d pad method, I was used to it on the X-Pro2 and the thing I miss the most.
I can't honestly think of any reason not to get the G9 apart from the cost or you didn't like it's handling
Still considering it myself and i'm going to the photo show so I may be tempted if the price is right.
There again use the GX9 most of the time and if I want a bigger weather resistant camera the still capable E-M1 gets an outing

Last edited:
When I tried the G9 it was the AF speed that Impressed me and the joystick to move the focus point.
The latter really is a big improvement over the d pad method, I was used to it on the X-Pro2 and the thing I miss the most.
I can't honestly think of any reason not to get the G9 apart from the cost or you didn't like it's handling
Still considering it myself and i'm going to the photo show so I may be tempted if the price is right.

Joystick is nice to have, I'm so used to using the touch screen now though I find it hard to use anything else! The only time I use the D-pad is for ISO and magnify focus when using MF lenses. The chunkier grip and better IBIS are enough to justify the upgrade for me if I had the funds spare - course I'd have to sell the G80 and nobody seems to be buying these days [there's even an XT3 in classified here a couple weeks now]

Joystick is nice to have, I'm so used to using the touch screen now though I find it hard to use anything else! The only time I use the D-pad is for ISO and magnify focus when using MF lenses. The chunkier grip and better IBIS are enough to justify the upgrade for me if I had the funds spare - course I'd have to sell the G80 and nobody seems to be buying these days [there's even an XT3 in classified here a couple weeks now]
Joystick is especially useful to me, my fingers don't hardly work touchscreens, even have to ask people to help out with ticket machines on railway stations.
Seem to be able to activate the af point with my nose though, always misfocusing bottom left (turned touch af point off now)

Joystick is especially useful to me, my fingers don't hardly work touchscreens, even have to ask people to help out with ticket machines on railway stations.
Seem to be able to activate the af point with my nose though, always misfocusing bottom left (turned touch af point off now)

When I first got the G80 I had a family portrait session already lined up, was a bit nervy using a new camera but had 2 days to just get used to it. For the first 20 minutes of the shoot I noticed some of the kids faces were OOF ... I had to do a little stalling while I tried to figure it out - turned out I had been moving the focus point accidentally - not with my nose though but with my thumb anytime I was just holding the camera by my side between shots. Thankfully I did notice and got the jobs done, family were delighted and have a bunch of the images framed on their wall! Ever since I've gotten into habit of checking before each shot that it's where I need it to be. It's never moved via nose for me, I'm a right eyed shooter and tend to tilt my head away from the LCD naturally when using the evf.

I can get why people prefer the joystick even just for that, it is more precise too just slower if you're using single point and moving it about a lot - say for macro. I can just tap on the LCD where I need it and I'm good to go each time.

As a matter of interest what was this taken with, camera and lens?
I am thinking of moving to a G9, with various lenses, but would definitely be including a macro lens in my choice of lenses

I am looking for advice on macro lenses with a Pano G9. From my research it looks like the choices are
Cheapest, pano 30mm f2.8, Pano 45mm f2.8 the more expensive option, or the Olympus 60mm Macro.
I have been using Nikon D750 with the 105mm f2.8 G E D VR.
The Olympus is closer by focal length to what I am used to.

When I had my EM5ii I bought an OM 50mm macro prime. £50 and it was pin sharp. Sold it a while ago and I'm now looking for another version [emoji848][emoji849]
I am looking for advice on macro lenses with a Pano G9. From my research it looks like the choices are
Cheapest, pano 30mm f2.8, Pano 45mm f2.8 the more expensive option, or the Olympus 60mm Macro.
I have been using Nikon D750 with the 105mm f2.8 G E D VR.
The Olympus is closer by focal length to what I am used to.

As a matter of interest what was this taken with, camera and lens?
I am thinking of moving to a G9, with various lenses, but would definitely be including a macro lens in my choice of lenses

Sorry, I usually add in that info I was being a bit lazy yesterday :D It was shot using the Panasonic G80 with the Olympus 12-40 2.8 - it's what i use 90% of the time atm, great little combination. I'm thinking on an upgrade to the G9 myself. It's not a macro lens but does have very good close focus capabilities, it's a great all-rounder.

There's a G9 going for a great price locally right now, but I would have to sell my G80 with some bits and bobs [it's in classified if anyone's interested] - It always happens when I'm broke, a great deal appears and I miss out :/

There's a G9 going for a great price locally right now, but I would have to sell my G80 with some bits and bobs [it's in classified if anyone's interested] - It always happens when I'm broke, a great deal appears and I miss out :/

Saw your camera for sale, so is a G9 the plan or maybe a Fuji?

Saw your camera for sale, so is a G9 the plan or maybe a Fuji?

It would have to sell quick to nab the G9, for now that's where I'd be headed. It's aggressively priced and won't last long I'd imagine, he's selling for less than MPB, says the camera is too big! I have offered trade if it's a smaller camera he wants but he wants cash only ... grrr

It would have to sell quick to nab the G9, for now that's where I'd be headed. It's aggressively priced and won't last long I'd imagine, he's selling for less than MPB, says the camera is too big! I have offered trade if it's a smaller camera he wants but he wants cash only ... grrr

Always the way, you might get lucky, Sunday evening is often a good selling time.
Like the idea of a G9 myself, there again getting on quite well with an E-M1 and 12-40

Always the way, you might get lucky, Sunday evening is often a good selling time.
Like the idea of a G9 myself, there again getting on quite well with an E-M1 and 12-40

That's why I don't have the lens up, it would be perfect for the G9. I shouldn't be too sad if it doesn't work out, the G80 is still plenty good enough for my needs, it's that tasty IBIS improvement, the high re mode and the incredible evf that have me wanting. And as much as I like a tidy set up, I will always prefer a better grip, the G9 looks perfect ergonomically for my liking.

The other irritating thing about it is I have my G80 up on there over a week now and there was 3 people watching the ad - now this guy has put his G9 up making mine pretty much redundant as he's priced it close to mine :/ even with the extras I have thrown in buyers would be mad not to opt for his instead

Last edited:
Sorry, I usually add in that info I was being a bit lazy yesterday :D It was shot using the Panasonic G80 with the Olympus 12-40 2.8 - it's what i use 90% of the time atm, great little combination. I'm thinking on an upgrade to the G9 myself. It's not a macro lens but does have very good close focus capabilities, it's a great all-rounder.
Thankyou for that, it helps a lot. Ive never really got into micro 4/3rds, but i have been doing a fair bit of research of what lens is best the intended image, its a bit more involved because Olympus make the same fit.

When I had my EM5ii I bought an OM 50mm macro prime. £50 and it was pin sharp. Sold it a while ago and I'm now looking for another version [emoji848][emoji849]

Thanks Chris, Im looking into which make lens is best for the different genre of photography, 4/3rds is new to me. I like macro, but also do a fair bit of landscape, holiday photos and similar. |Its amazing what you can find and use for macro photos.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="tijuana taxi, Like the idea of a G9 myself, there again getting on quite well with an E-M1 and 12-40[/QUOTE]

Ive been looking at the E-M1 myself, still a bit split, but the G9 is winning on size and ergonomics, I have largish hands.

[QUOTE="tijuana taxi, Like the idea of a G9 myself, there again getting on quite well with an E-M1 and 12-40

Ive been looking at the E-M1 myself, still a bit split, but the G9 is winning on size and ergonomics, I have largish hands.[/QUOTE]

Big difference in price too unless you are thinking of the EM1 MkIi?
I nearly bought a G9 at a trade fair in January, it did and does appeal, but still not sure about the added weight and size.
Think I will probably stick with the GX9 and primes for my European city breaks.
Ideal set up for travel and don't use big lenses so the G9 is likely overkill.
Think I will spend the cash on going places to take photos, probably got enough cameras already.

Ive been looking at the E-M1 myself, still a bit split, but the G9 is winning on size and ergonomics, I have largish hands.

Big difference in price too unless you are thinking of the EM1 MkIi?
I nearly bought a G9 at a trade fair in January, it did and does appeal, but still not sure about the added weight and size.
Think I will probably stick with the GX9 and primes for my European city breaks.
Ideal set up for travel and don't use big lenses so the G9 is likely overkill.
Think I will spend the cash on going places to take photos, probably got enough cameras already.[/QUOTE]

Yes would be the Olympus OM-E1 MkII, if I decided on Olympus, A bit of a decision for me. Basically its about weight, may still keep my FX as well, but thin down on lenses.

Last edited:
took my g80 and 100-400 out yesterday ,mainly due to the gale force winds knocking the big sigma about , still does the business here's a dredger heading out to sea or maybe the docks and having a rough time of it .. plenty of detail in this at the distance to .its around 3 miles to those houses on the other side of the estuary
a rough ride by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
@lightshipman .....

Just be aware that if your after the G9 it has a hair trigger, you’ll have to back button focus...

Just a heads up for macro use I have some Olympus tubes that will be going in the classifieds real soon....

@lightshipman .....

Just be aware that if your after the G9 it has a hair trigger, you’ll have to back button focus...

Just a heads up for macro use I have some Olympus tubes that will be going in the classifieds real soon....
That’s OK, I had read that, and I always use back button focus, and will watch for the tubes, if I go ahead.

@snerkler have you tried the Sigma 56 much yet? I had my G80 up for sale yet again, but nobody is biting these days, so thinking if I am to keep it I'm treating myself at least to a new lens. The 56 1.4 is one on my list

@snerkler have you tried the Sigma 56 much yet? I had my G80 up for sale yet again, but nobody is biting these days, so thinking if I am to keep it I'm treating myself at least to a new lens. The 56 1.4 is one on my list
No, not apart from a few test shots the other day. It’s a very sharp lens and is a lens that is going to give you some of the most shallow DOF of all the lenses, but as far as ‘pop’, 3D and the ‘cut out’ look I haven’t tested that yet. It’s very rare I take portraits, my wife’s not a willing model, we don’t have kids, and the dog’s very old now and doesn’t really move off the settee or floor.

As you know my intention was to take it with me to Cuba next Friday but I’m not sure if I am now or whether I’ll take the 45mm f1.8 for the size. Weather alllowing I’m hoping to test them both this week to assess the difference in ‘pop’ and that will help me decide.

I bought a used 75mm this week, great lens, but on further inspection it had a hair inside it.
Once the refund appears I will get another one, very impressed with the photos from it.

No, not apart from a few test shots the other day. It’s a very sharp lens and is a lens that is going to give you some of the most shallow DOF of all the lenses, but as far as ‘pop’, 3D and the ‘cut out’ look I haven’t tested that yet. It’s very rare I take portraits, my wife’s not a willing model, we don’t have kids, and the dog’s very old now and doesn’t really move off the settee or floor.

As you know my intention was to take it with me to Cuba next Friday but I’m not sure if I am now or whether I’ll take the 45mm f1.8 for the size. Weather alllowing I’m hoping to test them both this week to assess the difference in ‘pop’ and that will help me decide.

I'm thinking it might be one of those lenses, wonderful when needed, but left in the bag mostly. Nice for those with a tonne of other options, but when i buy a lens I need to know I'll use it a lot. Will have to do more research.

I bought a used 75mm this week, great lens, but on further inspection it had a hair inside it.
Once the refund appears I will get another one, very impressed with the photos from it.

Ah bummer!! PITA more than anything, at least you can exchange it, and you now know it's worth it

It is a lovely lens, just not sure about the focal length for me.
I'm thinking it might be one of those lenses, wonderful when needed, but left in the bag mostly. Nice for those with a tonne of other options, but when i buy a lens I need to know I'll use it a lot. Will have to do more research.
TBH all my primes are like that. I love the idea of taking portraits and being a portrait tog, it just never happens :(

Ah bummer!! PITA more than anything, at least you can exchange it, and you now know it's worth it

True, daresay it would have been fine, but just knowing it was there would annoy me.
Look forward to getting the next one, not sure how much use it will get, but haven't got anything longer than 45mm

It is a lovely lens, just not sure about the focal length for me.
TBH all my primes are like that. I love the idea of taking portraits and being a portrait tog, it just never happens :(

Same! when our girls were younger it was so much easier to get them to pose and even get some nice candids, now they're so aware and conscious and get annoyed at the mere thought! :( at least the cat is still a decent subject, when she stays still ... same with my missus, used to love posing for me, but nowadays she says she's 'too old' [not even 40 yet!] or has put on a little weight [I don't see or care about that, but I'm not a woman!] It does get harder to find agreeable subjects. This is why most of my photography is still life :D

True, daresay it would have been fine, but just knowing it was there would annoy me.
Look forward to getting the next one, not sure how much use it will get, but haven't got anything longer than 45mm

I'm not normally OCD, but I would be about something like this, so I think you're right to send it back. It's a lovely looking lens and I believe was one of the sharpest M43 lenses you could buy up until recently, not sure if that crown has been passed on ... [must have a nose on DXO]

[edit] Just had a peek on DXOmark, and it still holds crown as overall best lens for the M43 system, according to them at least. Which is very impressive for a lens that's been on the go since 2012! Apart from a slight give in sharpness it beats even the Nocticron 42.5 f/1.2

Last edited:
Speaking of cats
Frumpy cat by K G, on Flickr

And though it's a nothing shot, I mean the fact I chopped off her paw tells it was a mere snap shot when I found her sitting funny - but how good is the Oly 12-40 pro? it just does what it's told to do! this is an off the cuff, catch your cat in a weird sit -situation, grab the camera and snap! this lens really is so good. This was at ISO 800 40mm [this is why I chopped the paw, over zoom] , 2.8 - the original was over exposed so I had to draw it back a bit, otherwise not much done just the usual LR adjustment. I really do love this lens

Last edited:
Back