"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

The only reason I shoot RAW + Jpeg is so I can check focus at 100% on cam, you need the Jpeg for this, you can't zoom in as much on RAW files as it basically just throws up a thumbnail. I'm going to process all of my images either way, so after export to PC I dump all of the jpegs - I don't even look at them anymore. It's personal preference sure, but you can recover many a so-so image processing RAW, you could be dumping images because they are over or under exposed that could be completely recoverable processing the RAW file. Also, you have much better control over the white balance, you can pretty much set this to auto and change it in post, with a Jpeg you do need to get this right on camera or it'll just give you more grief.

But the RAW Vs Jpeg arguments you might see about are pointless, nobody is right or wrong, same with the manual vs auto or semi-auto exposure controls. Find what fits you best and roll with it. Most times nobody will know the difference until you tell them.

Last edited:
I rarely shoot raw nowadays, I rarely shoot landscapes/seascapes/the sort of photo where you can really bring out some drama with raw edits.

An old favourite editor of mine in Paint.net .... I find all my GX80 jpegs benefit from a Sharpen and I flatten off the histogram with the Levels tool ... always those two PP adjustments, sometimes more but always those two.

I rarely shoot raw nowadays, I rarely shoot landscapes/seascapes/the sort of photo where you can really bring out some drama with raw edits.

An old favourite editor of mine in Paint.net .... I find all my GX80 jpegs benefit from a Sharpen and I flatten off the histogram with the Levels tool ... always those two PP adjustments, sometimes more but always those two.

I found Panasonic files came right off camera very pleasing I must say. When I got the G80 first I did post up some SOOC jpegs on here, but I did then switch to RAW as I like to push and pull files. They also have impressive DR, when i first switched to M43 I remember being pleasantly surprised at how much leverage the RAW files offered

What’s RAW? Lol :ROFLMAO:

I have only shot JPG for many years - I experimented on a couple of previous DSLRs but the RAW files on my 5D2 and later the D800 were ridiculous sizes so didn’t bother again.

I like the Panasonic JPGs and I also liked the Olympus JPG colours. Also, liked the X100F JPGs come to think of it.

Each to their own (y)

one from yesterday sat in the garden soaking up the sun , Panasonic g80 + 200mm vivitar F3.5 M/F prime + k&f adaptor ... I only got the lens yesterday ,had one before and sold it and regretted it . so well worth £22 on e.bay

licking windows by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
In a bit of a quandary , I have my g80 +12-60 + pl100-400 + a couple of m.f classic lenses and adaptor .. but earlier thi# year a also changed my main camera gear back to Nikon bit more range and I.q .. now after a heart attack I’m thinking the Nikon stuff might be to much strain to cart about ,so debating whether to get another mft body either a g9 or Olympus omd1-Mk.ii or emx-1.. and sell the Nikon stuff ..heads spinning

In a bit of a quandary , I have my g80 +12-60 + pl100-400 + a couple of m.f classic lenses and adaptor .. but earlier thi# year a also changed my main camera gear back to Nikon bit more range and I.q .. now after a heart attack I’m thinking the Nikon stuff might be to much strain to cart about ,so debating whether to get another mft body either a g9 or Olympus omd1-Mk.ii or emx-1.. and sell the Nikon stuff ..heads spinning

There's a G9 in classified atm for a nice price. Good to see you're back up and about, but do take care ;)

Why do you need anything else?

24-800mm seems like you have the range pretty covered! Unless you mean DR, in which case maybe swap out the 12-60 for the 12-60 f/2.8-4? Weight much less than the equivalent Nikkors and that extra stop of light or two brings down the ISO?

Personally I like the G80 and it's a belter. 12-60 and 100-400 seem a pretty formidable combo, but I suppose the ultimate PanaLeica zoom setup would be the 8-18, the 12-60 and the 50-200. Personally, dependent on your subjects I'd think the 50-200 trod on the 100-400's toes, so I'd probably prefer something like the Oly 75/1.8.

24-800mm seems like you have the range pretty covered! Unless you mean DR, in which case maybe swap out the 12-60 for the 12-60 f/2.8-4? Weight much less than the equivalent Nikkors and that extra stop of light or two brings down the ISO?

Personally I like the G80 and it's a belter. 12-60 and 100-400 seem a pretty formidable combo, but I suppose the ultimate PanaLeica zoom setup would be the 8-18, the 12-60 and the 50-200. Personally, dependent on your subjects I'd think the 50-200 trod on the 100-400's toes, so I'd probably prefer something like the Oly 75/1.8.

Had my mitts on a 75mm this week and its a very fine lens, nice size and weight.

I did contemplate getting one, but got the 35-100 2.8 Instead.
I do seem to prefer the versatility of a zoom.

I have one of those, the 75mm is my daughters, but it's possibly the sharpest lens I have ever used.
Not a focal length I use very often, but if I did it would be top of my shopping list.
Also got to use a 12-100, another fine lens and can see how that could easily replace two other equivalent zooms.

After owning a G9 and a EM1mK11 i think i would have the Olympus

After owning a G9 and a EM1mK11 i think i would have the Olympus
Cheers mike I knew you had used both so I value your input .. the only bit of spec I liked on the g9 is the joystick and apparently that’s not that good .. why do you prefer the Olympus ?

I've been a bit of a fan of the GX80 because it's a good camera and relatively cheap compared to the GX9 but today the lack of exposure and DoF preview in Aperture priority disappointed me. It's available in manual mode though. I do much prefer having exposure and DoF preview and auto ISO available in all modes and the GX9 has these things which for me makes it the better camera. I'd love a firmware update to give the GX80 these things though :D

Just bought a leica 100-400 from here and only add the time for a very brief test shot on a fence (very exciting) but first impression are good. I can already say that I'm not as steady with gx9 and 100-400 that I was with large dslr + 150-600. I'll need to get use to it but that seems the only down side.

Overall I'm very impressed with the compactness of this lens. I knew ir would focus closer but i didn't expect it would be that much closer, leica focus at 400mm at 130cm while the sigma 150-600 c at 280cm! That a big difference. Autofocus seems faster when going from far to close. Need to get a proper outing with it.

You got a really good deal :D

You might have had some competition but I've been very busy and haven't had too much time to browse and missed that one.

Cheers mike I knew you had used both so I value your input .. the only bit of spec I liked on the g9 is the joystick and apparently that’s not that good .. why do you prefer the Olympus ?

I don't use the joystick i just feel the Olympus had better focusing.

I don't use the joystick i just feel the Olympus had better focusing.
As in for birds in flight mike .. I think a trip to London camera exchange for a hands on feely day is coming

I've been a bit of a fan of the GX80 because it's a good camera and relatively cheap compared to the GX9 but today the lack of exposure and DoF preview in Aperture priority disappointed me. It's available in manual mode though. I do much prefer having exposure and DoF preview and auto ISO available in all modes and the GX9 has these things which for me makes it the better camera. I'd love a firmware update to give the GX80 these things though :D

Hi Alan ... my GX80 in A priority shows DoF in the preview, both in EVF and the monitor. And exposure (?) ... the preview gets lighter/darker as I adjust the
EV (if that's what you mean).

Could there be something deep in the menus that you need to change? :thinking:

The GX80 also has a tool that's new to me (maybe all panasonics do it) and I like it very much ... the Zebra Pattern ... the blinkies before the shot is taken.

Hi Alan ... my GX80 in A priority shows DoF in the preview, both in EVF and the monitor. And exposure (?) ... the preview gets lighter/darker as I adjust the
EV (if that's what you mean).

Could there be something deep in the menus that you need to change? :thinking:

The GX80 also has a tool that's new to me (maybe all panasonics do it) and I like it very much ... the Zebra Pattern ... the blinkies before the shot is taken.

Really?

Mine shows exposure in aperture but not when the shutter is half pressed and you recompose but my GX9 does. It definitely doesn't give DoF preview. In manual all is good.

What firmware do you have? Mine is 1.0.

I'm not a big fan of zebras as I find it too distracting. I have peaking on though.

PS.
Googling tells me that the GX80 is on V1.2 now. The Panasonic site doesn't mention DoF/ev but I'll probably update mine and see what happens.

Last edited:
IMO Panasonics DFD gives them one of if not the best contrast focusing systems, its no match for Phase detection action on shots though.

Yes i can capture action with it but not as often as i should.

P1000795 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1006197 by electric.mike, on Flickr
certainly doesn't seem to be a slouch either just been looking through your flickrstream and without looking at the exif data its hard to say what camera /lens combo is used ... certainly nothing that jumps out and says buy me now

I've just updated my GX80 firmware to v1.2 but unfortunately I still only have DoF preview in manual mode, it's still not working in Aperture priority so if other people have this it's baffled me.

Last edited:
following up on my earlier posts I have just done a side by side comparison a Nikon d3s with sigma 150-600 C AND a Panasonic g80 with pl100-400 both hand held , both post processed exactly the same . I can't really see any significant difference in the finished files , initially the MFT RAW file was considerably noisier but Both shots have had the same de-noise applied to them .I'll let on which is which later . based on this is it worth spending a pile of hard come by cash on up grading 1 ?.jpg2 ?.jpg

Apparently it's now the season for rolling round bits of wood at other round bits of wood. (GX7 / 45-150mm)

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130754.JPG

So who's gonna buy this beast?

Seems to deliver everything that was hoped for, it's sharper than both the 12mm 1.4 and the 25mm 1.4, even at F2 - that is seriously impressive for a zoom. I'd imagine it would only be those with the larger bodies interested?

Back