"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Sidmouth Beach (GX7 / 45-150mm)

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130762.JPG

Mine shows exposure in aperture but not when the shutter is half pressed and you recompose but my GX9 does. It definitely doesn't give DoF preview. In manual all is good.
Hmmm ... I don't think I can help with this, unless ...

... are you saying you focus, hold the button half down, recompose and you lose your focus point? I don't suppose it could be your AF Area Mode settings ... :thinking: ... but I don't see why it behaves in M but not in A.

I'm not a big fan of zebras as I find it too distracting. I have peaking on though.

I think they're supposed to be distracting, forcing you to rethink your EV. I see them and go -1/3 or - 2/3 and they disappear. But I tend to prefer under rather than over exposed.

Opinions please..... 12-35, 12-60 2.8-4 or 12-60 3.5-5.6 vs the 12-40 Oly which I’ve owned before.
Any real world experience of these please?

Last edited:
Yes, I had the 12-35 f2.8 and the 12-40.
Panasonic lighter, smaller and marginally better at the tele end, more expensive too.
Also benefits from dual is on a GX9, admittedly only the earlier first version
Olympus definitely better at the wide end and better edge sharpness.
AF is very fast and ibis works well with it, also some options for the fn button on the lens.

Hard call, I sold the 12-35, use the wide end a lot and it was worth more secondhand.
Earlier this week I had a chance to try the Olympus 12-100, exceptionally good for a do it all lens

Last edited:
This G7 is still making me smile some...Its probably helped me produce/capture some of my best Butterfly images to date. Ive got the ISO set for max 1600, but i reckon i could increase this further still. My Panny Bridge Cameras start to struggle beyond ISO 200!
Only trouble is...i want even more image quality now..................Im starting to look at a G9/GH5 coupled to the Leica 12-60mm, which would produce even better butterfly images, than my newly acquired G7/panny 12-60mm.........G.A.S. aint that a biatch.

Another example image then. G7/12-60mm lens/Canon 250D close up lens. Manual f/7.1 1/320 ISO 1600. At 60mm, AF, Handheld, Jpeg.
Image is not cropped. The Dark Green Fritillary, is one of UK's largest species...and an absolute swine to get close to!!

Dark Green Fritillary Butterfly (male) uncropped. 28th June 2019. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Only trouble is...i want even more image quality now..................Im starting to look at a G9/GH5 coupled to the Leica 12-60mm, which would produce even better butterfly images, than my newly acquired G7/panny 12-60mm.........G.A.S. aint that a biatch.
Interesting, however I'm sure I've read somewhere that the kit lens exceeds the Leica in certain circumstances?
Edit: maybe that you'd be pushed to tell the images apart?

Last edited:
Interesting, however I'm sure I've read somewhere that the kit lens exceeds the Leica in certain circumstances?

Ive checked out a few reviews, an watched several youtube vids, an they all say the same.................the Leica 12-60mm beats the Lumix 12-60mm, all day long.
But im "open" to anyone saying different (with hands on experience/testing out in the field etc) with both lenses side by side. ;)

Opinions please..... 12-35, 12-60 2.8-4 or 12-60 3.5-5.6 vs the 12-40 Oly which I’ve owned before.
Any real world experience of these please?

I’ve owned the Oly 12-40 and PL 12-60. In real terms, I don’t think there’s much in it in IQ, especially stopped down for things like landscapes. However, I never really warmed to the PL 12-60 as a walkabout lens for some reason. I think it was because it’s really only f2.8 at 12mm, and I much preferred having the option of f2.8 throughout the zoom range with the Oly 12-40.

Examples with the PL 12-60
https://flickr.com/photos/60309810@N08/sets/72157663042363567

Examples with the Oly 12-40
https://flickr.com/photos/60309810@N08/sets/72157673420553256

I don’t think you can really go wrong with either one from an IQ perspective.

Cheers,

Simon.

I'm sure any of these lenses are excellent. Looking at some the incredible photos on Flickr with any lens reminds me of the importance of eye over gear... even the 12-60 variable aperture kit lens is capable of amazing shots. Looking through Flickr galleries keeps me grounded whenever the GAS strikes [mind you, it doesn't work haha]

I'm sure any of these lenses are excellent. Looking at some the incredible photos on Flickr with any lens reminds me of the importance of eye over gear... even the 12-60 variable aperture kit lens is capable of amazing shots. Looking through Flickr galleries keeps me grounded whenever the GAS strikes [mind you, it doesn't work haha]

My go to video when GAS strikes :LOL:

View: https://youtu.be/iHe04brf1XI

My go to video when GAS strikes :LOL:
Of course he made that video using an old Hi-8 camera he found in a local waste bin... :coat:

following up on my earlier posts I have just done a side by side comparison a Nikon d3s with sigma 150-600 C AND a Panasonic g80 with pl100-400 both hand held , both post processed exactly the same . I can't really see any significant difference in the finished files , initially the MFT RAW file was considerably noisier but Both shots have had the same de-noise applied to them .I'll let on which is which later . based on this is it worth spending a pile of hard come by cash on up grading View attachment 248994View attachment 248995

Well are you letting us know ;)

Well are you letting us know ;)
The top one is the Nikon mike, I have now returned the camera though as after a couple of hours with it I really cannot see a A/F advantage , I will be looking into either a Olympus or Panasonic upgrade once fully fit again though .

Last edited:
London Pride today GX80 + pana 45-150 (love that combo). Full set of 35 here https://photos.app.goo.gl/98q4jZgc5vCiBogt8

WI5fC8intvPvg-fdYCmD3adDhjVbAk29vLGOrYDheP3ma-vuoJ00Z0qJqydMsMtioAwGg8W04eWA8BIeQJAzxFaDmD4FcFCG_Tu3fWP-fgDP_6Pox3rc9WxONwl1mebk1c1IvsRmMH6i-ca1dqitgI3a1J8cfBv-oQUl1iXcheizqzkJxVU-u1TOePYzVaxZNuwYx_eM95v3iGx6OURUXfT7bnNYM-fNPWAp5IvxXr2oXBqlfTBhakwCWPKvnqVow6F8U-9_3GC1eB_cHPV6t-v-CfgpW1qI691qtIEOHamK1q4mJ1bzeqNm9TTW3q2vQsgrXDwsJeChzSCt-RSniyXnnnfkodRtcmB_UuUsFwG0x2m0bkU6ul9XKflfb9ggP0L8p0wcG_qPOQKMK88ZU0KrS0YH2J_TNRDJsG9D-Xr8UlT-Z38yt95viAV7zfoXfEvOZdpEKOlpQnwHu0mv2mwhRKRc0SgQvxHOqHQI6jfi3sKtqot7_IRSepRDagwz7H1-9GTXpi7WQmd5kIc_ul8MCWjlSUQjrOwBtPV2sb7PLdtF0u3NLP_uRBdBUDGnAHSdhJyfMzOwAN501w5MbPAA-zfu0iI844_BqVyjBt7QQYJ2Zer5T2bU64cYNq0gYkv68mZkpJIVfiZiU9H9mGsOVkEKtXGucgeCDKS9VynHPoCw8Mvze5J2e9OFyY4njqkOTv5dkJhX7SQkc5sdQYoIKQ=w1155-h867-no

r4TPdEZ4jIq0GDCm1PVXHybo8mfwDDwudx3WgimHvf_9V9w0MUHxt2l_e_lLhrSg9sCyYpprCdoJrxISqSDDKuLC902_XWgeCaGDf8z6zIRplDgQUG5QGdWJm3Bc9zIsJLOF6Nm6_yTT3Yu0dLxXXctob6-ZlQDh3NEWpB12YGOSOPj7OENs_mDBbIxiqah66IWoDZFKFbCRAuFL2spnTcDja82qCshmFY1QCyMOfKxC48Ob_dM1eVj5w977cx0FSdc8FLCl9xQvZhy9YDc8wgw3zWOpDcA3VM3mxdriZKeU8MJbwhnsM2M8rX01MPlwJFZBxcjF9J6AXqBw96QK_sTI0yu6uxMGzJL6OhyHM_Xx9USXsNsjmpZOYrDnUZceF9Y3D_nr6prSZ2h3wvr5imrAFWskDm2EQ7BpriBDjhSWQTCoi9GVqXX1AA_YjnvYdC8XYVUDpmJmJynVoGb62cnksMUvPFJsgVa4zeA6ThGAo-Htkx5aH7gwvLEmbhNNcJV4CT-PafKbXx9BrY41S-3wQIeOVGF6kdR6OjYx07vEnma_qvRONWPK9jJyHvVVzwQVQsJb3F_qFRyieK7aoneBzu7eNpDy7UHBVswhr-Wv3OICySU0cue00YG2IARNgksrCZYs0m7vbJQC18RVItP8v3WWdeNTR9hWortPJkVv0Aq_qOWhLLWa3H7OlMIoXvbglcmjoKLVFKuZb4AI2Nj4Vg=w1155-h867-no

Na-D4iP3_HcEqcTpwCllUjzCXqYXG8bNVvjSuc_zkoVSEdyVgsOMSTaM6LfnQN6_nIhX6CuBfOCUhbtNbJNiF38_C61q774jqq-wn1yg6yM-JklauIO6k9p2Wj4SwkBTrl9p7pggWYilRj81pqnbGd7_vFxsgOBU744Hs7Vxks98N4nkTULlEbGC3d128d-GQDsOTFdbPeP_-cFqrTZYyLY4chszx_M355d5eOfCGVVYajWbxjOmfzjMoH-Ml0pucvgvBnl2HHM_h7y8nUdG-jmXriUz4OhPNd-1_LkzAPGVe1UtmI_tTf-FVBFR_zIVqnFa_gSImS0E9OihE14fsh1T954vld4zNc7XpLYLSXabJbIvK5ARVYM5G_TTo8V2C64x-DbgeE28aH4bPNUiah1UieMYmzKDiEOiKKtkQXHC-zj36ohpjNfIMIlt1GoeimrNut2qmOgEJal9qfEw3xpMwxFMSU9EHsLPlfJjU5kHvRHjLhvzuq0T_4MXXw8uubZknP2-V_z7CgyT83DqvRT1lE09sZzDyG-NnxDuAl9cClBpat_VR1PNzdL90erG4ure4yG4hmj74fwQ0cBvHHButQdvlmJNn8LoZ_R-1YeVp8ebAQdEMLDyU4tIJu7aF-5L8mPpTkXbUsNnqeLffqrt9WE8Qj1hgKYSW6LxUmqCwZ_WwkKFUvlC7U6QC23_QyHmZ5_zI9dHpGC6Y65w0oQePQ=w1155-h867-no

Fancy trying a G80, could do with a weather resistant camera for my travels.
Seen good reports on this thread about them, makes sense with most of my lenses being Panasonic
Wanted thread posted in case anyone has one they want to shift

Thanks, i moan a bit about the G9 and BIF but i do like that sensor.
you put taken with the g80 in the description mike LOL

Bought a G80 on Wednesday, read good things about them on this thread from satisfied users.
Wanted something for wetter days that didn't suit my non weather resistant GX9's
Do prefer the smaller rangefinder style model which will still be my camera of choice, but handy to have the new one.

Early impressions are that the sooc jpegs are definitely nicer in colour and contrast from the GX9..
Not sure if its the newer sensor or processing algorithms, but I use raw anyway most of the time so its not an issue.
Undecided about the different type of rear screen, pros and cons for both designs
EVF definitely nicer on the G80, why they didn't use that in the newer GX9 I will never know.

Used to the menu structure which is handy so it will do for me.

Bought a G80 on Wednesday, read good things about them on this thread from satisfied users.
Wanted something for wetter days that didn't suit my non weather resistant GX9's
Do prefer the smaller rangefinder style model which will still be my camera of choice, but handy to have the new one.

Early impressions are that the sooc jpegs are definitely nicer in colour and contrast from the GX9..
Not sure if its the newer sensor or processing algorithms, but I use raw anyway most of the time so its not an issue.
Undecided about the different type of rear screen, pros and cons for both designs
EVF definitely nicer on the G80, why they didn't use that in the newer GX9 I will never know.

Used to the menu structure which is handy so it will do for me.

never used the newer sensor but I know I was pleased enough with the SOOC jpegs from the G80, posted some on here when I first got it. The EVF is pretty good, apart from when it lags for slower SS, no idea why they do that. They're not the only ones, seems to be an evf thing - I don't want to see the blurring effect of long exposures when I move a mm

never used the newer sensor but I know I was pleased enough with the SOOC jpegs from the G80, posted some on here when I first got it. The EVF is pretty good, apart from when it lags for slower SS, no idea why they do that. They're not the only ones, seems to be an evf thing - I don't want to see the blurring effect of long exposures when I move a mm

Overall i'm impressed, no such thing as the perfect camera, but these recent Panasonics suit me very nicely
Think it overexposes slightly compared to the GX9, not exactly a problem and just dial it down a third of a stop
That's it for my spending for a while, got this and a 8-18mm from the proceeds of my X-Pro2 and 10-24.
Spent the rest on Eurostar tickets, December dates just went on sale and Strasbourg Christmas market looks very nice.

Overall i'm impressed, no such thing as the perfect camera, but these recent Panasonics suit me very nicely
Think it overexposes slightly compared to the GX9, not exactly a problem and just dial it down a third of a stop
That's it for my spending for a while, got this and a 8-18mm from the proceeds of my X-Pro2 and 10-24.
Spent the rest on Eurostar tickets, December dates just went on sale and Strasbourg Christmas market looks very nice.

I think I almost always set exp comp to -2/3 or so when shooting in any auto or semi auto modes. That 8-18 should be a fun lens

I was chasing these yesterday with the G80 and noticed something for the first time, through the evf you can see the wing beat like its in slow motion, i guess its to do with the frame rate and missing frames.
Not great but it was fun

P1010069.jpg

Back