"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

G80 and 100-400mm
P1110944a by robert shearer, on Flickr

Razorbill by robert shearer, on Flickr

Guillemot.... by robert shearer, on Flickr

may I ask.. out of interest, how far away were your subjects? Just wondering what the optimum distance to subjects might be for that superb feather detail. I'm shooting 1/1000 or so, mostly wide open as the light's been poor - and getting my best results around the 20-35feet mark. Always interested in knowing distance to subject details in these kind of shots.

may I ask.. out of interest, how far away were your subjects? Just wondering what the optimum distance to subjects might be for that superb feather detail. I'm shooting 1/1000 or so, mostly wide open as the light's been poor - and getting my best results around the 20-35feet mark. Always interested in knowing distance to subject details in these kind of shots.
Hi Dan,
Probably around 5m

Thanks. with any long lens, think there's always that initial disappointment that you can't extract feather detail at 100 feet... no choice but to get close! Seems that the optimum for this lens to get those crisp detail shots is under 30 feet. No different to any other long lens of course, but there's always to temptation to try and pixel peep what's always going to be a record shot rather than a portrait. I've gotten some nice shots with a little environment at 50-100 feet though, too.

Adobe Photography Plan 1 year pre-paid is included on Amazon prime day and is only £69 instead of £99 (although they increased the price to £119 yesterday to make it appear more of a saving!).

Just purchased - code to be used via redemption at adobe website.

Adobe Photography Plan 1 year pre-paid is included on Amazon prime day and is only £69 instead of £99 (although they increased the price to £119 yesterday to make it appear more of a saving!).

Just purchased - code to be used via redemption at adobe website.

That is a good saving, slightly tempted because my GX9 raw's don't open in LR6, but passed in the end

I just want to enthuse a bit about modern technology :D

We'd been out watching the partial eclipse and when we got home I just pointed my GX80 and 45-150mm at Mrs WW and took this at ISO 16,000 using eye detect under low artificial lights as she sat watching TV.

u3jQZZk.jpg

I haven't done much to this and I'm posting it here just to show what it looks like. The only real problem is the bottom right which needs a bit of attention but nothing heroic and once that's done it'll be good to go. My point is.... WoW. ISO 16,000 under low artificial lighting and it's a useable picture!

A quick run through Nik Silver efex.

hJaL62b.jpg

When I think back to the days I used to take my Nikon SLR loaded with ISO 1,600 film to gigs I think we're spoilt these days but things will probably only get better :D

PS.
I forgot... couldn't get much of the moon, 100% at 1/60 and ISO 800.

IpqaSJG.jpg

Last edited:
I just want to enthuse a bit about modern technology :D

We'd been out watching the partial eclipse and when we got home I just pointed my GX80 and 45-150mm at Mrs WW and took this at ISO 16,000 using eye detect under low artificial lights as she sat watching TV.

u3jQZZk.jpg

I haven't done much to this and I'm posting it here just to show what it looks like. The only real problem is the bottom right which needs a bit of attention but nothing heroic and once that's done it'll be good to go. My point is.... WoW. ISO 16,000 under low artificial lighting and it's a useable picture!

A quick run through Nik Silver efex.

hJaL62b.jpg

When I think back to the days I used to take my Nikon SLR loaded with ISO 1,600 film to gigs I think we're spoilt these days but things will probably only get better :D

PS.
I forgot... couldn't get much of the moon, 100% at 1/60 and ISO 800.

IpqaSJG.jpg

Super image (#1) woof woof.

I too love the GX80 and 45-150mm combo.

Interestingly, ISO 16,000 ...

Kind of mind-boggling but not sure how such figures fit the triangular equation in this day & age, and make any sense any more.

I'm not complaining. :D

My Sony A7 goes to ISO 25,600 and even my Panasonic TZ100 goes to 12,800 and produces perfectly useable pictures. In days gone by when I took pictures with ISO 1,600 film there was a lot of motion blur as the shutter speeds were too low for anything that moved but what saved the day was that the prints were relatively small and so hid some of it to an extent. No one ever complained anyway. These days we can take unposed snap people shots and pictures of squirrels and the like at shutter speeds that freeze the subject, this good performance at mega ISO's makes it possible.

The 45-150mm is just about permanently on my GX80 and there's an Olympus 17mm f1.8 on my GX9.

Last edited:
Reminds me of The fall and rise of Reginald Perrin :D
That was at east shore , west bay Dorset , no sand only shingle on the chesil bank

I have just bought a Panasonic G7. It is a replacement for my Olympus Pen E-PL5 which was excellent for macro shots. At a loose end this lunch time so I climbed to the top of our new carpark (floor 5 which has only just been completed) to see what the city looks like from above. The second shot has spome reflections from the plate glass I had to shoot through. 'They' are determined that no one commits suicide from the top of this building - I was hoping for some unobstructed shots.Lincoln-3.jpgLincoln-16.jpgLincoln-14.jpg

Tried a few macro shots in the garden this afternoon and found that in use, this G7 is harder to use than the Pen E-PL5 was. I only managed to get a part of this hoverfly in focus - every other shot was a lot worse. This G7 has a body that is more DSLR-like in shape - the smaller and squarer Pen suits me a lot better. But, I now have this one so I need to learn to use it.
untitled-49.jpg

Last edited:
Tried a few macro shots in the garden this afternoon and found that in use, this G7 is harder to use than the Pen E-PL5 was. I only managed to get a part of this hoverfly in focus - every other shot was a lot worse. This G7 has a body that is more DSLR-like in shape - the smaller and squarer Pen suits me a lot better. But, I now have this one so I need to learn to use it.

Focus shouldn't be an issue. Could shutter shock be the problem?

Focus shouldn't be an issue. Could shutter shock be the problem?
Old hands holding the camera is the main problem. My old Pen was easier to hold steady than this new camera is.

If your sure that's the problem then maybe try and up the shutter speed? I'd still try and rule out shutter shock by switching to the electronic shutter just in case it's the problem or even just a part of the problem.

Old hands holding the camera is the main problem. My old Pen was easier to hold steady than this new camera is.

You might be better off with the GX80, rangefinder style and in-body stabilisation too.

If your sure that's the problem then maybe try and up the shutter speed? I'd still try and rule out shutter shock by switching to the electronic shutter just in case it's the problem or even just a part of the problem.
I certainly need a new technique as my old one is clearly no good. I only got the camera yesterday afternoon so it is early days. I hadn't thought about the electronic shutter - I have never used one although I am aware it is available: another new thing to learn about.

With the G7 I personally would select the electronic shutter and use it unless making a conscious decision not to. It only has two drawbacks that I know of, rolling shutter and the possibility of banding under flickering artificial lighting. Oh, and you probably need the mechanical shutter when using flash.

I don't tend to take little critter shots but I do take flower shots and of course they tend to blow about in the breeze so I often up the shutter speed... maybe something as simple as that could help? Good luck sorting it anyway.

View attachment 250361

You could use the pop up flash, try f8 or 11 iso 200, then up the iso to 400 if needed, see what you get.

You'll be back :D

I wouldn't cancel it out ;) Always keep the options open. I definitely miss certain things about my M43 gear - the excellent touch screen for one, the superior IBIS [though the XH1 aint bad] plus there a lot more budget friendly options.

That 10-25 though ... bit of a beast, not exactly a stealth lens :D but the price will be the killer. Predicted to be in or around £1800 :oops: :$

View attachment 250361

As has been suggested, try the option of the electronic shutter.
Ive been using a G7 these last couple of months(for my butterfly images) an all i use(exclusively) is the electronic shutter.

Heres an example shot of a smallish butterfly (the Chalk hill Blue). Image is not cropped. Jpeg, AF, Handheld. Manual f/7.1 1/320 ISO 640. 60mm. Canon 250 close up lens used.

P1070728-copy-to-600.jpg

Your Hoverfly is a little more "macro", than my "close up" butterfly subjects...so im not sure how well the G7 will do for macro stuff as small as a Hoverfly?? Because i havent tried my G7 for smaller subjects yet, i cant really say how it will perform?...either way, for macro subjects, i would normally use a flash source.

View attachment 250361
Big improvements today. I am using manual focus, 1:2 macro setting and Aperture priority. These have been cropped - quality seems to hold up.Lumix G7 Test-1.jpgLumix G7 Test-3.jpgLumix G7 Test-2.jpg

Panasonic double cashback payment just came through

I bought my latest acquisition on the first day of the recent double cashback offer and claimed soon as I could
Not bad at all, purchased on 23rd May, obligatory 35 day wait before submitting to avoid shysters returning and claiming

I'm just back from 2 weeks holidays in france. Happy to find an email to say the cashback is on its way for my GX9 which has been processed really quickly.
I've been very happy with the GX9 pana 15mm f1.7 and pana 42.5 f1.7, the 42.5 has been good for occasional portrait, macro and even wildlife while the 15mm is good for all the rest. Now I have piles and piles of files to process. Ive been shooting JPG+RAW because I'm still undecided to which is best. I had a quick look at the jpeg they do look good right away, I think I will struggle to do much better from the raw and they can still be edited too. I have also activated i dynamic and i resolution but not to the strongest settings, it helps lifting the shadows.

Two weeks was great to really familiarised myself with the camera. A few remarks I have on the GX9:

- I've been using the rear screen a lot, the viewfinder is usefull is some situtation but really not amazing.

- I don't know why they put aperture ring and AF/MF switch on lens when you have dedicated wheel and switch on the body. First it's confusing when one lens has it and not the other. Second, I keep getting the aperture ring to 1.7 instead of A when taking the camera in/out of my bag.

- I whish the AFS/AFF , AFC, AFM switch would have 4 positions instead of 3 and be AFS, AFF, AFC, AFM really why burying the AFS/AFF in the menu when there is a switch there???

- Battery life isn't that bad. I was expecting much worste.

- In bright condition with the very fast electronic shutter I find you can still use f1.7 most of the time without the need of a ND filter. At the worste I was able to when stopped down a little bit.

- With my previous camera I was using a lot of manual with auto iso. With this one I felt like using a lot aperture mode with auto iso. Then if i felt that i need to constrain more the shutter speed I will go to manual. I think it work well and this way the camera always seems to priviledge using iso 200.

-Because I was bored at the airport I played with in camera processing and I find it utterly pointless. I couldn't find how to zoom in/out in an image you are processing so you really can't see what you do on such a small screen. Then cropping isn't part of in camera processing in there so you need to save your edit and then crop. Crop is only to the same ratio too. Same goes with rotate which only by 90degres increment. Honestly the whole in camera processing i do not understand!

Overall a good experience. Now i need to process all that bit which is 99% familly fun photo but I'll try posting some on here.

I've been using the rear screen a lot, the viewfinder is usefull is some situtation but really not amazing.
That's interesting. I find the viewfinder on my GX7 to be very good, although I've yet to take a shot with it tilted. Here's a couple of grab shots from yesterday...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130914.JPG

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130918.JPG

I think that for me the tilting screen is useful in two situations…

- To give you a different angle that would otherwise be difficult.
- When doing people shots I like it because I can have the evf pointing slightly up and look down into it and then look up at the subject. The advantage of this for me is that I think it's more personal and communicative than having a camera (and hands) in the usual position covering most of my face and creating a barrier between me and the subject. This might be total tosh of course but it's something I like to do :D

Well the gx80 has been ordered, now to find a cheap kit lens. This is a camera that I want just for days out, so an not after a spectacular lens, just a 14-45 or 14-42 for now.

Back