"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Took a punt on the 12-60 variable aperture myself. Pleased with the results. 12-60, 42.5, 100-400 makes a fantastic trio for me, a bit of everything: walkaround, portrait, wildlife. Personally, I'd have added just a fast 25mm for a nifty fifty instead of the zoom, but I do hand the camera over to my partner from time to time, and she loves it. I will say the ability to have that magic 24mm focal length does make it worthwhile... something about 24mm over 28mm, maybe it's the I-should-just -use-the-iPhone reference at 28mm?

Last edited:
Have an email from panasonic for "G members" what ever this mean up to the 31 the lumix 15mm f1.7 is at 269.4£, the 42.5 f1.7 is at 179.4£. Both the lens I own and both I have paid more second hand so it look like a good deal!

Eye cup at 10.79£ for gx9

Looks pretty good

[QUOTE="Lemaildetom, post: 8488924, member: 32187"Eye cup at 10.79£ for gx9
[/QUOTE]Or even for £10.79!

I'm keen on the G80 but while researching prices on the grey market, I noticed that eglobalcentraluk are offering the G85 for £323 delivered to the UK. That looks a pretty spectacular price to me (and I've bought an iPad and Zuiko 9-18mm lens from them successfully in the past). However, as it's the US spec model, what will happen if I use it in the UK? I imagine there is a difference in video spec. Does anyone have any practical experience of this? Thanks,

Seems a great price, not sure of the video issues, DPReview might have some info?

Meanwhile, I've been looking at decent straps for when out and about with the 100-400. I usually dislike straps as I'm forever flicking them out of the way.... don't really use them. But it's nice to hands free the camera while walking, and it's no use in a bag.....

I tried the BlackRapid and it was OK but didn't slide into use perfectly every time. The lens weight is far greater than the camera, also meaning the strap has to attach to the tripod foot rather than strain the lens mount, it leaves the camera balancing awkwardly at angle depending upon the lens focal length/front element extension. (I find I quite often lock it at 400mm). What worked was to turn the tripod foot 180 degree under the G80 body, but doing this means you can't rotate the lens into portrait without the tripod foot fouling.

The Spider Pro Holster was double the price, but by using the standard adjustable camera plate (didn't try the lens plate) attached to the tripod foot you can get it to balance perfectly, held just off the leg so no damaging contact, pointing back in the horizontal. It's so easy to grab out of the holster and get into position, no straps to get in the way. For my walkaround wildlife, which is always tripod free, it's definitely the right choice. Shame it's the most expensive, but the build is superb and for a holster like this I'd not trust my expensive lenses to the Amazon imitations.

This is an image I took today of a Peregrine Falcon in Clifton Gorge, Bristol.
It's a huge crop, but if it's all you can get, so be it!
Taken with G9 and Leica 200mm + 1.4 T/C.
1/500th @f4, ISO 400.

Peregrine 2.jpg

Last edited:
A rewarding capture. When I see those beautiful feather detail shots posted by the big lens guys, it's easy to forget that they have to get close close too. So I totally agree that if all you can get is a heavy crop from 100+ feet, so be it! I think the first lesson of long lenses is that they can't make the impossible possible, no ready available lens gives micro detail at huge distances. So while my ultra-distance shots might not be going on the wall, I've learned to rejoice in the capture like a birder, rather than rejoice in the image like a photographer. They both have their place!

So i got my GX80, so thought i would take it for a spin around town. It's taking a bit of getting used to, not just the buttons and stuff, but more the size and form. What i do like though is the tilt screen and selecting the focus area with my thumb on the screen whilst my eye is to the evf.

So here are a few shot from my walk (mainly spent at the train station), there's nothing mind blowing here, but it got me a bit more practice in.

untitled-9.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-11.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-23.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-25.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-36.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-33.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Like the third and fourth, if I had to be critical fourth shot just needs ever so slight tweak to the horizontal, but either way looks a fun day.
It's a tricky one, because the benches are on a slight curve. But I take your point, sometimes it's what looks right that counts. Thanks for looking.

What i do like though is the tilt screen and selecting the focus area with my thumb on the screen whilst my eye is to the evf.

I do that on the GX9 to, first camera I actually use the touchscreen for something!

I like the B&W, I should really try to do some but i always feel like my subject call for colour.

So i got my GX80, so thought i would take it for a spin around town. It's taking a bit of getting used to, not just the buttons and stuff, but more the size and form. What i do like though is the tilt screen and selecting the focus area with my thumb on the screen whilst my eye is to the evf.

So here are a few shot from my walk (mainly spent at the train station), there's nothing mind blowing here, but it got me a bit more practice in.

untitled-9.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-11.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-23.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-25.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-36.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-33.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Oh well done Dominic.

My technique is a little different, especially when shooting this kind of street. I don't use the evf, preferring the tilt up screen.

I've got my Fn1 button assigned to highlighting the focus point with the yellow pointy bits, then the Disp button centralises it. I like to keep it central, focus then compose.

What lenses have you got? I love my Pana 45-150. :cool:

Last edited:
Oh well done Dominic.

My technique is a little different, especially when shooting this kind of street. I don't use the evf, preferring the tilt up screen.

I've got my Fn1 button assigned to highlighting the focus point with the yellow pointy bits, then the Disp button centralises it. I like to keep it central, focus then compose.

What lenses have you got? I love my Pana 45-150. :cool:

I must admit that for these photos, did use the tilt screen (although not with the highlighted focus point thingy). Basically, i saw a shot, had the camera on my hip, as i walked passed, i'd look down at the screen and press the shutter button. It seemed to work most of the time.
I only got a 14-42 kit lens in the end, funds were a bit tight. I also want to see how i get on with the camera, before investing too much in it. I'm liking it at the moment though.

Sorry if this has been covered before.
I have G80 (& a tz90 with the same problem.)
I shoot using the evf with the touch screen off. Both cameras tend to move the focus box to a corner of the screen. (Nose?)
I have no interest in moving it and want it permanently set in the middle.
I keep thinking I have it cracked but off it goes again.
Is there a setting?
If so is it universal or do you have to set it for each prog. or custom setting?
Sounds small but it driving me nuts.:mad:

I shoot using the evf with the touch screen off. Both cameras tend to move the focus box to a corner of the screen. (Nose?)
Is there a setting?
If so is it universal or do you have to set it for each prog. or custom setting?

Are you sure you have it completely disabled? Sounds like it's still active. You can tap the disp button to kick it back to centre when it shifts, but it shouldn't be moving like that if you have TS disabled. It's been a while since I had the G80 so forget how to set this. But if all else fails, why not just turn the LCD facing in when shooting? since you're just using the evf anyway

Last edited:
Is there a setting?
I take it the rear screen is facing out when this happens?
I've never had this issue with my g80, but always have the screen facing in when using the evf.

Have a look here...
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57988917

Last edited:
On the top deck (GH2 / 12-32mm)...

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310973.JPG

Look left (GH2 / 12-32mm)...

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310976.JPG

Downspout (GX7 / 45-150mm)...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1140009.JPG

Is there a setting?

Mine is set so that the entire AF touchscreen function is disabled.
You can also disable just the AF part and various other combinations

Its all there in the menu under touch setting, not sure if you are doing that why it doesn't stay set

Its all there in the menu under touch setting, not sure if you are doing that why it doesn't stay set

I will double check that. Thanks.
Is it universal or do I have to do it for each mode/custom?

I hadn't considered that, but I think I'm quite happy shooting without EVF and centralising the focus point using the Disp. button as @Cagey75 mentions.

Ah I guess it must be a big disadvantage being left-eyed. ;)

Last edited:
Two days ago it rained non stop when I wanted to get out with the GX80 .... had to make do with shooting through a dirty kitchen window.

T5m6gQYT-PgzoK8lbSaHin-vOMG2dOj4U80hUcriQMmgkafvER0DXusRA7yNVafx34YLRbc31qc-b4sdHNHALTiJuAU6lhHPcvGmDN-yHDA7slwM7eZWsSGotfxEWc_c_bRIzvth2KySlGcSYZRcgohQ84m3oP3n0QH4P9gRKH1tAyM3UdlzCS3-QG7VZ-T-YMF6QOPztCSiklLV8Zq0opmFEpyrpMwjYhUGjBVZfd66lRcUSKY6ulRNEBrxSIbzFXsLNg8UxaOc1xdCNMRKieUry0dDSWvrGJ5fXi5mfAQILN9l15tjeYjXzG4BOGW31BWfY--Kn-tx94ZuAR3iIXjNNJozACqeStuH7-8Y_YX5pxfO8jmKTQ9K0U74HGti_3bK-BwR-Y0aHu8y0Hjto2_HVAjIxacxPhLZv9VOZPkPOFccWI8OT1_t7SD_rjpBG69zfLZf4I_oU-La5VY_ozU82S_siupALYKwgBcXAUFRCOoNxPio9o-RzEhlIVZgcWkNwPZ91HPDNkDUP2komA2-Ffju3fp6AZMqjjlFrr-5J1YmwL9jWsY7xdjVSnyKyQ5Pf1rPgXoCOlBWxD4dcdEYzx4K0vdljikCmLyAgLk30t6Nmts-h4X3bE_32jd02UrS1E7lLFICmIF8O8krLJHKtrZyHW8lrtZwgt90T7MVOxH6EB80iJQ3bjDkrs2xGhcZiIfbUKKJ_haBhCtWMkxcAA=w836-h590-no

Last edited:
Is there a setting?
Both my TZ80 and G7 do this and I find it extremely annoying.

Now disabled in the Touch menu item. Thanks, Tijuana taxi

Last edited:
Back