"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Two very nice shots, with some fine detail.

"#1 looks a tad over exposed to me, but obviously I realize that could be just how you wanted it. Still a very nice shot though"

George.

Thanks for that, George - I think you're probably right!
I'll re-visit the original. (I think that now looks better)

Last edited:
Welcome on board: GX7 / 45-150mm...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1140094.JPG

Where next? GX7 / 45-150mm...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1140096.JPG

Well, I should stay well clear of the "shopping and suppliers" forum! At the time Park were offering that incredible £1000 voucher off the 200/2.8, I was still deciding on my system choice away from my Sony A7, with long lensing in mind. It was tempting even though I didn't have a camera to mount it onto! Anyway, since finding out that Park were selling two 200/2.8's with the 1.4TC ex-demo, I couldn't resist a punt on one, even though I'd already gone 100-400 Leica. The 100-400 is a really fantastic lens, and mine isn't very old, but the 2.8 might just suit the darkened woodlands and UK winter light that I often find myself hunting critters in around here, and it's sharp enough that it should suit even aggressive crops. So, I figured that even if I'm not 100% blown away by the prime [which I think will be unlikely, looking at sample shots] I should be able to pass it on for what I bought it for. If the prime is as good in use as it is in print, I'll be selling the 100-400 on here to recoup costs. It seems rather extravagant, I'm usually more cautious, but the opportunity seemed too good to pass on a second time.

Also, my only lens on the Sony A7 was the Samyang 35.. a lovely lens and I was always pleased with the shots, but the Sony lens choices were all so expensive - 24-105, 24/1.4, decent wide equivalents... and I was after an ultrawide on that system for a while. 16-35 or 12-24 both amazing but so very pricey at £1500 upwards. Samyang 14mm prime looked like the best option, and that £600, generally a little inflexible to take as an only travel lens. IMO, lost amidst all the sensor-size chest beating on the internet, one of the biggest advantages of MFT in general is the superb lens choice across primes and zooms, and the established secondhand market. I was looking at the 8-18, a great lens, but the older 7-14 is fantastic too; I snagged one for under half the original RRP [I remember lusting after 7mm when I owned a G1] which seems to be the going rate these days. It's a good time to shoot MFT, and I regret not one bit the decision to leave the FF race behind. I've better glass at more reasonable prices than I could ever have hoped to achieve on the Sony system. Couldn't imagine ever owning the 12-24 and 400/2.8 on Sony short of a lottery win!

Last edited:
Hi guys

So I finally picked up a Lumix 12-60 kit lens from MPB today .... some samples HERE.

"Like New" they promised and like new it is. I'm well pleased. But, there is something slightly odd ...

... wind the barrel in from 60 to 20 and it's home. Wind more from 20 to 12 and it's going out again, just by a couple of mm.

I've known similar with other lenses, Panasonic and Nikon ... but is this action normal for this lens?

I suppose it's got to be, but why does it do it? I've never questioned it before because, well, it never seemed odd before. :thinking:

Well, I should stay well clear of the "shopping and suppliers" forum! At the time Park were offering that incredible £1000 voucher off the 200/2.8, I was still deciding on my system choice away from my Sony A7, with long lensing in mind. It was tempting even though I didn't have a camera to mount it onto! Anyway, since finding out that Park were selling two 200/2.8's with the 1.4TC ex-demo, I couldn't resist a punt on one, even though I'd already gone 100-400 Leica. The 100-400 is a really fantastic lens, and mine isn't very old, but the 2.8 might just suit the darkened woodlands and UK winter light that I often find myself hunting critters in around here, and it's sharp enough that it should suit even aggressive crops.

Sorry [emoji17], my fault about the 200/2.8. You’ve done the same as me.

Hi guys

So I finally picked up a Lumix 12-60 kit lens from MPB today .... some samples HERE.

"Like New" they promised and like new it is. I'm well pleased. But, there is something slightly odd ...

... wind the barrel in from 60 to 20 and it's home. Wind more from 20 to 12 and it's going out again, just by a couple of mm.

I've known similar with other lenses, Panasonic and Nikon ... but is this action normal for this lens?

I suppose it's got to be, but why does it do it? I've never questioned it before because, well, it never seemed odd before. :thinking:

Absolutely normal.

Love the donkey picture and the peacock abstract.
And thanks for the heads up, Justyn - the 200mm has arrived, it looked pretty much new from Park. I was - and still am - blown away by the 100-400, but frankly the 200mm looks to be a league above [as I'd expect given that the RRP is twice the price]. Haven't had chance to shoot out with it yet, looking forward to the weekend!
The 7-14 is still in transit somewhere... DHL are really a poor courier IMO having screwed up the redelivery date. Had no problems with DPD and Park Cameras....

Liking the donkey and chicken. (y)

BTW ... a good way to photograph leaves (if you've not already tried it, and it you don't have a light box) is by sellotaping them to your window pane.

BTW ... a good way to photograph leaves (if you've not already tried it, and it you don't have a light box) is by sellotaping them to your window pane.

y'know, in all the experimenting over the years I have never tried that! Cheers for the idea :) I'm going to try it later

And thanks for the heads up, Justyn - the 200mm has arrived, it looked pretty much new from Park. I was - and still am - blown away by the 100-400, but frankly the 200mm looks to be a league above [as I'd expect given that the RRP is twice the price]. Haven't had chance to shoot out with it yet, looking forward to the weekend!

Enjoy it. TBH I'm still learning how to push the 200, I used it recently at Grigin for Red Kites with success (it's like getting my Granny to drive an F1 car), but I need to work on my technique. I still keep expecting Park to knock on the door asking for more money, why they've sold the lens at 50% off RRP new this year and now 40% for ex-demo is beyond me, you never see the Oly 300 discounted (it's gone up in price this year).

Anyone for a Bolleke, the traditional beer of Antwerp seen here at the De Koninck brewery
Very welcome as it was over 30c there last Saturday, one day heatwave.

P1004023 1.jpg

No matter how many times I see the Atomium it always makes me smile
Completely unique and crazy, shame they demolished some of the other exhibits from the 1958 Fair
Had to cut this visit a bit short, footie match next door at Heysel Stadium and the fans were getting a bit lively
Getting near to full time and lots of police arriving, didn't want to get caught up in the crowds

P1020973 1.jpg

Well, I should stay well clear of the "shopping and suppliers" forum! At the time Park were offering that incredible £1000 voucher off the 200/2.8, I was still deciding on my system choice away from my Sony A7, with long lensing in mind. It was tempting even though I didn't have a camera to mount it onto! Anyway, since finding out that Park were selling two 200/2.8's with the 1.4TC ex-demo, I couldn't resist a punt on one, even though I'd already gone 100-400 Leica. The 100-400 is a really fantastic lens, and mine isn't very old, but the 2.8 might just suit the darkened woodlands and UK winter light that I often find myself hunting critters in around here, and it's sharp enough that it should suit even aggressive crops. So, I figured that even if I'm not 100% blown away by the prime [which I think will be unlikely, looking at sample shots] I should be able to pass it on for what I bought it for. If the prime is as good in use as it is in print, I'll be selling the 100-400 on here to recoup costs. It seems rather extravagant, I'm usually more cautious, but the opportunity seemed too good to pass on a second time.

Also, my only lens on the Sony A7 was the Samyang 35.. a lovely lens and I was always pleased with the shots, but the Sony lens choices were all so expensive - 24-105, 24/1.4, decent wide equivalents... and I was after an ultrawide on that system for a while. 16-35 or 12-24 both amazing but so very pricey at £1500 upwards. Samyang 14mm prime looked like the best option, and that £600, generally a little inflexible to take as an only travel lens. IMO, lost amidst all the sensor-size chest beating on the internet, one of the biggest advantages of MFT in general is the superb lens choice across primes and zooms, and the established secondhand market. I was looking at the 8-18, a great lens, but the older 7-14 is fantastic too; I snagged one for under half the original RRP [I remember lusting after 7mm when I owned a G1] which seems to be the going rate these days. It's a good time to shoot MFT, and I regret not one bit the decision to leave the FF race behind. I've better glass at more reasonable prices than I could ever have hoped to achieve on the Sony system. Couldn't imagine ever owning the 12-24 and 400/2.8 on Sony short of a lottery win!
Most of my mft lenses were bought used for reasonable prices but for me there's no getting away from the fact that my GX9 and GX80 can't match the image quality of my original A7. However, the wide and long ff lenses are exensive and much bigger and I just can't see myself having the range of focal lengths I have for mft for ff so for me the solution is to have the two systems.

I couldn't justify the cost of two camera/systems, and I wasn't heavily invested in Sony so it made sense to jump. Certainly, the 7-14 and the 200/2.8 are two ends of the focal length spectrum I'd never have justified on FF.
Also, I'm quite a self-conscious/discreet photographer, and the enormous lenses always felt a little look-at-me unless I was, say, at an RSPB reserve.

Thanks, I pegged mine on the washing but it was not perfect because it was pretty breazy!

No matter how many times I see the Atomium it always makes me smile
Completely unique and crazy, shame they demolished some of the other exhibits from the 1958 Fair
Had to cut this visit a bit short, footie match next door at Heysel Stadium and the fans were getting a bit lively
Getting near to full time and lots of police arriving, didn't want to get caught up in the crowds

View attachment 254533
Never been myself but it loos good. Never seen a night photo of it before!

Love the donkey picture and the peacock abstract.
The 7-14 is still in transit somewhere... DHL are really a poor courier IMO having screwed up the redelivery date. Had no problems with DPD and Park Cameras....

Thanks

I have a 100-400 bought from here in has new condition, not add much chance to take it out yet only once in a wood and it was really too dark to use it without behing at iso 6400 were the GX9 start to show weakness. But I use to do a lot of wildlife photo so sure it will come out of the box soon or later!

A rather battered front door overhang in Exeter. GX7 / 45-150mm...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1140132.JPG

Never been myself but it loos good. Never seen a night photo of it before!

Its often illuminated more than that, each sphere has small individual lights on too.
Not sure why it wasn't that night, maybe didn't want to attract too many visiting footie fans away from the stadium area

One of the thing i have liked in the past is northern light photo and I live in a great place for that (orkney). I'm not sure yet if the m4/3 sensor is up for it. There's an interresting lens the laowa 7.5mm f/2 but gosh it is expensive for this kind of lens (470£). Half that price that what I would expect from a third party, manual focus lens. Then i'll snached one but there it is a lot of money for a few outing every year. Anybody has used one?

Samyang 12mm should be ok, f2 and 24mm in FF terms, lot cheaper at £279 on Amazon
Thinking of trying my 8-18 for a bit of night sky photography, f/2.8 at 8mm should work

12mm (24mm)is a bit to long for night sky photography, 20mm in full frame that really is the longest I can go with, I see there is a samyang 10mm f2.8 too.

I'm keen to see some night photography with m4/3, when shooting full frame I would go for iso 6400 all the time only adjusting the shutter speed to change exposure and I was shooting moslty at f/1.8. So the panasonic would really struggle I think.

Does the GX9 can do focus overide i.e use the manual focus while in auto focus. Reason is today I took the 100-400 out and I had a bird maybe 3-4m away, focus set to full on lens barrel (not only beyond 5m). Camera set to one area shrink to the smallest size posible but the camera wouldn't focus on the bird. Only on the background even with the target fully on the bird :-(!

I had to fiddle focus on a post nearby to get the lens nearly focus then get the bird again.

Back