"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Sidwell Street Methodist Church, Exeter (GM5 / 12-32mm)...

Panasonic GM5_black 8GB 07 _1050615.JPG

I went looking for squirrels today and found them in London's Holland Park. Got this shot with my GX80+45-150. Hope to go back later in the week with my 100-300mm.

VDTVkfKXGL1gt-IdefKD48cGkZjQuDJUk7ssYyFo9xWABhsO-pzpff7ypUP-1P0hCyIJj_OpgCldlG1jSseBxZE5Oi8eqhHQYrVNZAQIQq-PL6wpNZcVcG5Wi4ko-aoYzlyMpgWkZ2Dn4mVkcOoRvX8GO_xQVqTOmPOUSKN6no8sJQMwX2UQiwv1ImtH5L0UIKjAxTKJHCaw-IYP0fb8dfW3OS4Z8wFEpb2W1h3zZXRwVPvDKMi10LInj82jKHZsGVtuKWFE2KsLI7qXL7VNg4YBKI4eJxX1pdH1u2qMdpqH6SVQ1lafJy8C8f1Rn6Q-CjF8SzHKG8Dd2DkCot-5DWwWDUxiyjz-1wT6WUZWFTtI2Ch-Atl4N36vg4RBOkCQEnoCszdDyLJYn3R5Hh60JeN0rmVFY2QNIaS2BFTvtggYSFb4ETHQykh0lIQy8XlX8wK8bd7NyIqPUKP5sCHr8THc2TgcoxzYR09YqpncAvB6n0hQ2PlGBqM87HfhoFcwiy0zQTW2I4MqTEgyv0d2sBQjjK2437kqMjae8yBnjkF85NP7IWPFmD-636lFVyHFtN2qI7j2gebxvAQj5lUffCyho9PyuIXsY7HpnF7wsvo16DGcEtJu_fu_fDFU2UoukgJlhWN5QCKJDb8Dk4maNrkQT69Fey5qgaiH4evoi3_aJz5uxfxmEW3DeaauBwvui5_TRX_KDrdDe_vB0DlZQm7VBK6ivAARmlKvksBUvbgizHHgrg=w1155-h869-no

Last edited:
I can't see my pictures, above. Where have they gone, or can you see them?

Fisheye clouds (G2 / Samyang 7.5mm)

Panasonic G2 8GB 11 P1210577.JPG

Thanks guys.

I first discovered photos not showing elsewhere, then realised they're all missing, then they all came back apart from the blessed squirrels.

So I've reposted those. :thinking:

Good.

The world can't have too many squirrel pictures. They make a change from cats anyway :D

Hi all, have been using a G80 and 100-400 whilst on holiday. I have been liking the combination and seems to have given me some good results, I shall post some pics at some point. This has left me wondering as my 7d2 and 150-600 can be too heavy for me.

I am wondering about the g9 over the g80. So a few questions if I may.

How much better is the
evf
battery life
fps with continuous autofocus

is iq any better?

The EVF is a vast improvement over the G80, cant say a lot about battery life because i used to go out take upto 300 shots and still have power left, i think i used about 8 fps, the IQ is better.

The reason i sold mine was the EM1MK11 gave better focusing on BIF, not saying the G9 is rubbish just the Olympus is better.

Some G9 and 100-400 samples

P1004850 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1004643 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1002835 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Hi all, have been using a G80 and 100-400 whilst on holiday. I have been liking the combination and seems to have given me some good results, I shall post some pics at some point. This has left me wondering as my 7d2 and 150-600 can be too heavy for me.

I am wondering about the g9 over the g80. So a few questions if I may.

How much better is the
evf
battery life
fps with continuous autofocus

is iq any better?

The reason i sold mine was the EM1MK11 gave better focusing on BIF, not saying the G9 is rubbish just the Olympus is better.
Perhaps the word "better" should be changed to "different". I tried the Olympus when I was choosing a body to go with the 100-400 and I didn't like it. I much preferred the G9 and haven't found any reason to regret that.

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1010158.JPG

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1010927.JPG

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1011739.JPG

Perhaps the word "better" should be changed to "different". I tried the Olympus when I was choosing a body to go with the 100-400 and I didn't like it. I much preferred the G9 and haven't found any reason to regret that.

View attachment 258203

View attachment 258205

View attachment 258206

Thanks for the suggestion but i will stick with better, i found it better before the last update and since the 3.1 update it runs rings around the G9 for BIF shots, its far less likely to move from the subject onto cluttered backgrounds, its so much quicker and accurate on birds coming towards me.

In lots of ways my G80 is better for sticking with subjects than the G9 was, i spent a lot of time on the G9 but you have just too many variations in the focus settings IMO Panasonic overcomplicated it with the focusing options.

But hey every one to their own as they say

But hey every one to their own as they say
Indeed... and everyone's opinion is equally correct in such matters.

The EVF is a vast improvement over the G80
A vast improvement? My G80 has a great viewfinder, so the G9 must be pretty amazing in that case. Just to check - you're not thinking of the GX80 rather than the G80?

A vast improvement? My G80 has a great viewfinder, so the G9 must be pretty amazing in that case. Just to check - you're not thinking of the GX80 rather than the G80?

No the G80, some of the EVF improvement though will be due to its size.

Three shots in defense of the G80, depending on your subjects the G9 can sometimes not be a lot better, these shots were on the G80

p1100201_40132678461_o.jpg

p1100876_38643633950_o.jpg

p1110561_25935664287_o.jpg

Thanks for the info there, the olympus had crossed my mind, from having a brief play with an em1 2 I found I didn't like the menu style, preferring the panasonic. I have discovered that the g80 has an option to speed up the af which seems to also do a reasonable job. I would prefer a joystick for focus point selection, I find I can't always get the buttons right on the 4way pad.

Some samples from the g80 and 100-400 combo. From a pelagic trip in 3m waves

P1020738 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

P1020755 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

P1020767 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Kittiwake by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I recently had a trip down through France and Spain for a couple of weeks holiday on The Algarve.
Without a doubt Salamanca was the place that left the greatest impression - what a great city.
These are a couple of shots of the New Cathedral - day and night (although from a slightly different position).
Both with the G9 and PL 12-60mm f2.8-4.0

New Cathedral (D) Salamanca by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

New Cathedral (N) Salamanca by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Very good photo, nice to see its not been over sharpened, so many small birds seem to be.

I see you have a G80 and G90, may I ask please if you are you noticing much difference and if so in what areas.
Thank you

Hi Rich, sorry I hadn't notice my typo there, this was with the g80, I haven't got the g90.

I would also be interested in thoughts on the g90, actually forgot about that new model when considering the g9 as a replacement for my 7d2.

Hi Rich, sorry I hadn't notice my typo there, this was with the g80, I haven't got the g90.

I would also be interested in thoughts on the g90, actually forgot about that new model when considering the g9 as a replacement for my 7d2.

Oh well, never mind Michael and thanks for letting me know.
I have a GX9 which has the same sensor as the G90, photos look better to me than the G80.
Think it's probably not only the sensor, but a difference in the processing algorithms too.
Just wondered if there was much else improved, probably not that much to warrant the money or maybe there is?

Last edited:
Oh well, never mind Michael and thanks for letting me know.
I have a GX9 which has the same sensor as the G90, photos look better to me than the G80.
Think it's probably not only the sensor, but a difference in the processing algorithms too.
Just wondered if there was much else improved, probably not that much to warrant the money or maybe there is?

Better sensor, Better LCD, addition of wb/iso/exp comp buttons up top, additional thumb wheel ... think that's about it tbh. I was a bit disappointed - briefly considered it before deciding to try Fuji again. Probably would have just gone G9 otherwise

Last edited:
Better sensor, Better LCD, addition of wb/iso/exp comp buttons up top, additional thumb wheel ... think that's about it tbh. I was a bit disappointed - briefly considered it before deciding to try Fuji again. Probably would have just gone G9 otherwise

That does seem to be about it, newer sensor would be nice, but I think most of the improvements are on the video side.
One disadvantage would be my older version of Lightroom would no longer open the raw files without converting them.

Think i'll leave it for now, might be tempted by a great price at next years Photo show, who knows by then

As I've said many times I don't see much if any difference between the image quality of my 20mp GX9 and 16mp GX80, and I've looked. Other cameras may have different internal processors and wot nots and that could make a difference but at the moment shooting raw and processing for best effect with those cameras I'd say that lenses (and lighting) make a difference but 20/16mp MFT sensors? Maybe not so much that I'd worry about it.

As I've said many times I don't see much if any difference between the image quality of my 20mp GX9 and 16mp GX80, and I've looked. Other cameras may have different internal processors and wot nots and that could make a difference but at the moment shooting raw and processing for best effect with those cameras I'd say that lenses (and lighting) make a difference but 20/16mp MFT sensors? Maybe not so much that I'd worry about it.

DR is better on the 20mp sensor, and images do turn out a tad sharper. There's a bunch of direct comparisons on YT that push and pull files from both in post. I watched them when considering the G9. Now, we know that the differences will really only be apparent to us pixel peepers, but every little boost helps when you're dealing with smaller sensors. I would never upgrade based on the res bump alone, it is indeed all the other stuff that comes with, better overall tech. Look at Fuji for another similar example. There's bugger all in terms of IQ between the 24mp XtransIII sensor and the 26mp XtransIV - in fact, it has been proven in comparisons that the older sensor performs better at higher ISO, but the newer sensor works much better for faster AF and video

The biggest difference I see in the 16 / 20mp which means that even if the sensors are so close in performance that it really doesn't matter, as I believe, the 20mp is better simply because you get those extra pixels free with no hit to image quality.

I remember having a rant when Panasonic used their 16mp sensor instead of the 20mp one but after owning both for years now I honestly wouldn't give the senor differences any thought when looking to buy a camera.

The biggest difference I see in the 16 / 20mp which means that even if the sensors are so close in performance that it really doesn't matter, as I believe, the 20mp is better simply because you get those extra pixels free with no hit to image quality.

I remember having a rant when Panasonic used their 16mp sensor instead of the 20mp one but after owning both for years now I honestly wouldn't give the senor differences any thought when looking to buy a camera.

I didn't find the 16mp sensor too restrictive for my kind of shooting in any way, bar when I did want to push ISO and just couldn't get it clean as I would have liked. A little extra room for cropping is always welcome too. But I would have upgraded for the extra benefits on the likes of the G9 or EM1mkII - much better IBIS being the main reason, better build quality and better WR. On the G9 also beefier grip, I do love a good grip, on the Em1 mkII the phase detect AF that works well with older 43 lenses, there's a few gems from that old system, and I guess extras like the high res modes

Back