"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Anyone using the GX80, GX9 or G80 for video shooting? How good is the autofocus on them and what sort of lenses are you using? How good are they for manual focus for time want more control?

Well I'm thinking of buying one, is it the original model or the mkII ?
Good luck with finding one Tim. Mine is rarely used, but I'm afraid I'll miss it when it's gone. So unless I'm feeling flush and fork out for something like, well, the Leica 50-200 is currently in my dreams ..... :) .... I'm hanging on to it.

Anyone using the GX80, GX9 or G80 for video shooting? How good is the autofocus on them and what sort of lenses are you using? How good are they for manual focus for time want more control?

I do but I have no advice, I am a rubbish videographer.
I find the focus good on the GX9 even tracking, i only ever film stuff like my boy cycling or jumping on a trampoline and it's doing a good job!

Apart from a few close up shots in the front garden this is the first time i have used the G9 and 100-400 this year, i was losing ground with it anyway now with all this time off due to weather, ill health and lockdown i may have to rethink my photography.

P1010096.jpg

P1010114.jpg

P1010134.jpg

P1010156.jpg

P1010170.jpg

The Online Photographer has been using and talking about the Panasonic GX9 and 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens. This kit may be old news now but this guy is often worth a read and some may find this interesting. It's in three parts and this is part 3 but he's included the links to part 1 and 2 so it's easy enough to read this in order.

I have a GX80 and a GX9 and various lenses. Kit lens wise I haven't had the 12-60mm but had the old 14-42mm when I had a G1 and these days I have the tiny 14-42mm mega ois which I think is a fantastic lens as it's incredibly small and light, has a good focal length range, no optical nasties that I can detect (there may be some in camera corrections going on but who cares?) and is sharp from wide open which is how I tend to use it. If it was a f1.8 it'd be perfect :D

I do like the GX9 my only criticisms being that the lack of DR against my FF Sony A7 does show in some situations and the EVF isn't the best the main issue for me being that unless I look smack bang though the middle the edges are out of focus but in use I usually forget about this. My GX9 usually has my Olympus 17mm f1.8 on it.

Anyway, the link is there if anyone wants a read :D

Reactions: CSB
An interesting read. I've got the GX80 and I've often thought about upgrading to the GX9, but my head says wait for a GX10, if it ever appears.

An interesting read. I've got the GX80 and I've often thought about upgrading to the GX9, but my head says wait for a GX10, if it ever appears.

I like my GX80 as I have a bit of inverse snobbery and using the cheaper GX80 appeals to me. It's a teeny tiny bit smaller and lighter too :D I do like the things that the GX9 offers over the GX80 though. The tilting evf, the physical focus mode switch and especially the ability to use exposure compensation with auto ISO in manual mode.

The 20mp v 16mp issue has never really bothered me as I see precious little if any difference which I suppose means that 20mp is best as you don't seem to get any downside for the extra mp's.

My GX80 has my 100-400mm on it and I keep it by the window for anything that happens outside like birds in the garden etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSB
Kit lens wise I haven't had the 12-60mm but had the old 14-42mm when I had a G1 and these days I have the tiny 14-42mm mega ois which I think is a fantastic lens as it's incredibly small and light ........

I love that 12-60.

The extra 2mm, over any 14->something, makes a big difference. I'm talking close up distortion ... fabulous.

I have the 12-35mm f2.8 which gives me the 24mm equiv width but not the reach of the 12-60mm.

Yes, there's nothing unusual about 24 equiv but I just seem to be enjoying it with that pana 12-60 kit lens at the mo.

I used to have the 12-60, I liked it so much I upgraded to the Leica version on my GH5, although I find it a bit big on the GX80. 12-60 is such a versatile range, I sold my 12-35 f2.8 because of it and now use primes for low light or when I want DoF to be as shallow as possible.

The Online Photographer, the guy I linked to above, has been talking about "nesting" lenses and by that he means having a do it all zoom and a prime within the focal lengths covered by the zoom.

I've thought that this is a good idea for a long time. In my case in MFT land it'd be my Panasonic 14-42mm or possibly my Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 and Olympus 17mm f1.8 but a 12-60mm and a prime would obviously fit that brief perfectly.

Last edited:
I have 12-35/2.8, 8-18, 15/1.7 and 12/1.4, reckon I must like the wider focal lengths then.

I have 12-35/2.8, 8-18, 15/1.7 and 12/1.4, reckon I must like the wider focal lengths then.
I'll borrow the 8-18 for a few days. (y)

I'm surprised ... no one has the 25/1.7 ... nifty fifty equiv, or is that idea dated when more fun can be had with the wider or the longer?

I'm surprised ... no one has the 25/1.7 ... nifty fifty equiv, or is that idea dated when more fun can be had with the wider or the longer?

I have the 25mm f1.7 and the 42.5mm f1.7, I find I use the 25mm much more than the 42.5mm, although around 90% of the time I'm using the Leica 12-60. I keep thinking I should go out with just a prime but I never get around to it.

My colourful lunch.

Pan G90 + Olympus 9-18mm.

i-cgwcTwS-XL.jpg

Yummy ! :p

When I bought my Olympus 25mm f1.8 maybe that one wasn't available.

In past years a Sigma 50mm f1.4 just about lived on my Canon 5D but in recent years I'm more 35mm or equiv so at the moment I have an Olympus 17mm f1.8 on my GX9.

Cabbage white catterpillar shot again with 42.5mm f1.7 and canon close up filter
garden-1061401 by Thomas, sur Flickr

garden-1061362 by Thomas, sur Flickr

Also we where catching the boat back home and I was taking photo to stich this panorama in manual mode (manual focus, exposure, single frame,....)
dolphin- by Thomas, sur Flickr

When suddently dolphin started jumping near the boat for about 20 seconds. Managed to change all the setting minus the iso in time and grab one photo where a dolphin is visible. At to save drag up nearly 4EV to brighten it up.... So not the best but a first ever for me!
dolphin-1061195 by Thomas, sur Flickr

If you are anywhere near me you're welcome to

I do have a 25/1.4, don't use it very often and the 35-100/2.8 even less

Myself I have a GX9 with 15mm 1.7 and 42.5 1.7 I think it's a great combo both being 1.7 is often very usefull. The 42.5 can get nice portrait and is a moderate tele which with the addition of the canon 250D close up filter become also my macro lens. Tjhe 15mm 1.7 I can use all day long as a do everything kind of lens.

Because I also like wildlife I have a 100-400 but there i really miss my nikon d750 with sigma 150-600c.

Last edited:
Does my bum look big in this ?

Sorry ! I couldn't resist,. My recently acquired Panasonic Leica 200mm f2.8 + 1.4 TC mounted on my GM5.

i-2fnzhDk-L.jpg

i-sCLN6Hz-L.jpg

i-ngG7FnJ-L.jpg

And for comparison my 'travel light' or 'I have a bad back' kit.

i-CQZ2K6d.jpg

Does my bum look big in this ?

Sorry ! I couldn't resist,. My recently acquired Panasonic Leica 200mm f2.8 + 1.4 TC mounted on my GM5.

And for comparison my 'travel light' or 'I have a bad back' kit.

:cool:

Very nice Roy, thanks for sharing, but haven't you found that PL 45mm f/2.8 macro yet?

:cool:

Very nice Roy, thanks for sharing, but haven't you found that PL 45mm f/2.8 macro yet?
No ! and I have spent too much recently :oops: :$ However, I might be tempted if e-infinity get them in stock at £389.00.

My G80 flattens a battery if I leave it in for a long period. (A few months) The spare, in the same bag maintains almost 100%. Is this common? What causes a trickle discharge?

Keeping the camera's date & time running and keeping the internal battery topped up.

You're lucky. Most Sony cameras that use the old NP-FW50 will flatten it within days and they self-discharge within weeks even out of the camera.

How is the battery life on the GX80/G80 for video? The battery on the GX80 seems no bigger than my Sony RX100? I get around 40 minutes video shoot time. Looking into the Lumix range for some video shoots and a casual photography camera for the family. The RX100 works but always charging up batteries get annoying.

Is the viewfinder on the GX80 as bad as they make it out to be? I assume the G80 is a tad better but then a bigger body.

How is the battery life on the GX80/G80 for video? The battery on the GX80 seems no bigger than my Sony RX100? I get around 40 minutes video shoot time. Looking into the Lumix range for some video shoots and a casual photography camera for the family. The RX100 works but always charging up batteries get annoying.

Is the viewfinder on the GX80 as bad as they make it out to be? I assume the G80 is a tad better but then a bigger body.
Sorry can't help with your GX80 video questions, but .... I bought a GX80 battery charger for £10 and spare batteries £9 each, plus there's a £5 shipping cost. From Ex-Pro.

My GX80 came with a USB lead but no charger.

I've never shot any video. Don't even know if it works :D
My G80 vf is pretty good.

I've used the GX80 to shoot a pantomime and for odd bits of personal stuff. The battery life is ok but I had to swap batteries during the intermission. I'm ok with the viewfinder, I don't notice the tearing that others mention, but while it is adequate, it's not nearly as good as the viewfinder in the GH5 which is much bigger and sharper. I find myself using the rear screen mostly.

I think I have an impossible problem. I want a cheap lens for northern light. I do not have the fund to buy something expensive. It need to be 10mm or wider. F2.8 or faster...

It is very annoying that the samyang 10mm f2.8 canon mount cost £230 while the MFT mount is £360...

The Laowa 7.5mm f2.0 is £450-£500
The Laowa 9mm f2.8 is about the same
The panasonic leica 8-18mm f2.8-4 is about £600-700

There is the Samyang 12mm f/2 which is 250£ but 12mm is too long. Really 10mm is great a bit wider can be sometime usefull.

There might be some option with a Viltrox EF-M2 II SpeedBooster 0.71x which already cost £120 so if i find a lens for about the same price I would consider it.

How about the 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye?

I managed the northern lights with the Olympus 9-18 f4-5.6. Not ideal but possible.

I really do not want a fisheye lens :-(.
I previously shot NL with Nikon 20mm 1.8 on Nikon D750 so I know I'm going to have to lower my expectation but with f4 on MFT, it's going to be hard to get anything really worth it.

There's this:
Samyang 10mm T3.1
on ebay for £230 I know nothing about cine lens is T3.1 the same as F/3.1?

The T stop is the actual amount of light transmitted through the lens instead of the theoretical amount. So f2.8 = T3.1 in this case.

Sorry but another G80 (and other models) question.

Does anybody actually know what "Intelligent ISO" is?

Back