"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

The reviews I have read do give it good reports though. Anyway, I don’t place a lot of value on most reviewers - there are only one or two who talk sense in my view. Initial tests in the back garden seem good to me. Especially if you stop down one stop.
Sorry, I misread your post. I was referring to the 45-150 lens, which is the one I purchased! teach me to speed-read!!

I find that pana 100-300 unwieldy. It's not so much its size & weight, but the long focal length
I find the 100~400mm quite good ergonomically. On the other hand, I wouldn't use it on anything smaller than the G9.

I'm debating getting a GX9...I like the rangefinder shape, and it seems a good model from what I can tell. Why am I getting it? Well, mostly as I'm bored of my Fuji system - I've used it a lot and it makes great pictures, and even writing this I'm still partially wondering why I'm doing it. There's no technical reason, mostly just want a change! There is the appeal of tiny telephoto lenses that you get with MFT, like the 35-100. I was taking pictures at my kid's football match and my 50-230mm fuji is fine but slow aperture, the 50-140 would be great but it's 1kg and big. I want to be more discrete and I usually have the younger kids with me, so I can't be managing a big setup and chasing after them and carrying them etc.

I know it has a smaller sensor and the technical physical differences, but I doubt I'll notice them. The size is what appeals to me. Not sure what I asking...people to tell me I'm stupid/buy it? General feedback from those that have the GX9 would be good, plus if you've used Fuji what you've noticed. thanks.

I'm debating getting a GX9...I like the rangefinder shape, and it seems a good model from what I can tell. Why am I getting it? Well, mostly as I'm bored of my Fuji system - I've used it a lot and it makes great pictures, and even writing this I'm still partially wondering why I'm doing it. There's no technical reason, mostly just want a change! There is the appeal of tiny telephoto lenses that you get with MFT, like the 35-100. I was taking pictures at my kid's football match and my 50-230mm fuji is fine but slow aperture, the 50-140 would be great but it's 1kg and big. I want to be more discrete and I usually have the younger kids with me, so I can't be managing a big setup and chasing after them and carrying them etc.

I know it has a smaller sensor and the technical physical differences, but I doubt I'll notice them. The size is what appeals to me. Not sure what I asking...people to tell me I'm stupid/buy it? General feedback from those that have the GX9 would be good, plus if you've used Fuji what you've noticed. thanks.

I have a GX9 but I tend to use the cheaper and microscopically smaller and lighter GX80.

The GX9 does have just about every physical control you could need whereas the GX80 lacks some buttons and switches plus the GX9 has the tilting EVF which can be nice. I know it annoys some forumers but personally I like it as you can tilt it up and look into it and it's then less of a barrier between you and the world and your face is less obscured.

I had the GX9, and it’s a good enough camera, but it’s no X-Pro2. Like the X-Pro, I found it better suited to primes. I’m (probably) the one person who was annoyed by the tilting viewfinder. It caught on clothing, bags, straps etc and was forever tilting up. Personally I don’t see any issue of having one’s face either covered or exposed, so no doubt I will get slated for that. ;) Picture quality is excellent - having run Fujis in the past I think that modern m4/3 cameras actually give better IQ than the X-Trans sensor.

Personally I don’t see any issue of having one’s face either covered or exposed, so no doubt I will get slated for that. ;) Picture quality is excellent - having run Fujis in the past I think that modern m4/3 cameras actually give better IQ than the X-Trans sensor.

I wont attempt to slate you or anyone but I will try to explain what I mean. Maybe this is just me...

A camera in front of my face is a barrier between me and my human subject as it obscures most of my face. To let my subject see my face I have to move the camera away. With the tilting evf all I have to do is look up. I find this an advantage for communication. Others may not. Others may not even see the point I'm making.

I wont attempt to slate you or anyone but I will try to explain what I mean. Maybe this is just me...

A camera in front of my face is a barrier between me and my human subject as it obscures most of my face. To let my subject see my face I have to move the camera away. With the tilting evf all I have to do is look up. I find this an advantage for communication. Others may not. Others may not even see the point I'm making.
I never photograph people. Landscapes or factories aren’t overly bothered by not seeing my face :p

having run Fujis in the past I think that modern m4/3 cameras actually give better IQ than the X-Trans sensor.
Probably depends on the xtrans sensor but when compared against equivalent generations I think Fuji will be better.

I use my GX9 most of the time even though I also have a G9, probably my favourite camera ever and i've had a few.
Before that I had a Fuji X-E2 and X-Pro2 which were great apart from the lack of IBIS and with my shakes restricted lens choice at the time.
Yes there are a few things I would change, but overall its near perfect for my uses and has accompanied me all over Northern Europe.

Last edited:

Actually, @woof woof , I see your point. Although I would have thought a better use for it would be for taking surreptitious shots so your face could actually point away from the subject.

Smells like GAS. I wouldn't swap just for sake of satisfying that itch because that itch never ends with one swap.

Also for shooting action I'd suggest sticking with Fuji or going with Olympus if you must have m43.

I use the GX85 and really like it. It's great with my 20mm f/1.7. Have thought about getting a GX9 but I don't think the difference justifies it. I also have a G80 and though the EVF on the GX85 is passable (I think they used the same EVF on the GX9) the one on the G80 is way nicer. I also have an Xpro 1 and though I love the feel and the weight and the 35m lens it's a bit slow compared to the Panasonic for street work.

I used my X-E2 with the 18-55, but wanted something wider, that left me with the very good, but slower 16-50.
Now the GX9 with an Olympus 12-45 seem to be almost the perfect combination giving a FF equivalent of 24-90
If you need something for low light get one of the fast Primes, ranging from 9mm up to 75mm.
Not sure about a longer telephoto, used the Fuji 55-200 albeit very rarely, probably is something similar to choose from.

Thanks for your replies. The vertical viewfinder is an interesting one, particularly with the tilting screen too. Would need to hold it to see if I'd use it or not.

I started looking at the GX80 first and when trying to decipher the naming scheme found the GX9. There's only about £100 difference so figured why not get the newer one.

Maybe I'll try and pick one up with a 20mm or something to give it a try.

Actually, @woof woof , I see your point. Although I would have thought a better use for it would be for taking surreptitious shots so your face could actually point away from the subject.

I never take surreptitious pictures and actually I hardly take people pictures these days either so it might not matter to me anymore, but I do think it, the tilting evf, could be a useful thing for anyone who might thing like I do about interaction with the person you're taking a picture of.

One thing I am constantly aware of is the disconnect from people that using a camera can cause, all just in my opinion.

Thanks for your replies. The vertical viewfinder is an interesting one, particularly with the tilting screen too. Would need to hold it to see if I'd use it or not.

I started looking at the GX80 first and when trying to decipher the naming scheme found the GX9. There's only about £100 difference so figured why not get the newer one.

Maybe I'll try and pick one up with a 20mm or something to give it a try.

The GX9 has the 20mp chip whereas the GX80 is 16mp, I think.

The 20mm has to be thought about carefully as AFAIK it can't do continuous shooting and is generally relatively slow to focus compared to something like the Olympus 17mm f1.8. I'd only recommend the 20mm f1.7 (and I do have one) if you must have 20mm or must have a lens even more compact than the alternatives.

The 20mm has to be thought about carefully as AFAIK it can't do continuous shooting and is generally relatively slow to focus compared to something like the Olympus 17mm f1.8. I'd only recommend the 20mm f1.7 (and I do have one) if you must have 20mm or must have a lens even more compact than the alternatives.

It can do "continuous" but on AFS not AFC, where it is a bit slower.

As I rarely use AFC, it has never affected me, for the money, it is a fantastic lens :)

Reactions: CSB

I haven't done much lens research but had seen that one come up a lot, maybe due to its size. I'm not fussed on the 20mm, so will look into the options. Will also look at the GX80 a bit more too, maybe a cheaper option for my variety needs!

Smells like GAS. I wouldn't swap just for sake of satisfying that itch because that itch never ends with one swap.

Also for shooting action I'd suggest sticking with Fuji or going with Olympus if you must have m43.
It is absolutely GAS. Probably a bad habit but I like to change things up to keep me wanting to take a camera out - particularly digital. Film I'm happy sticking with one camera!

It can do "continuous" but on AFS not AFC, where it is a bit slower.

As I rarely use AFC, it has never affected me, for the money, it is a fantastic lens :)

AFAIK it's not just a bit slower it simply doesn't work or at least it simply doesn't work on some cameras and the option is greyed out in the menu. My memory could be playing tricks on me but the Panasonic compatibility chart for the GX9 lists the modes available for stills as being AFS and MF only.

Actually I'd forgotten another issue with that lens. It can cause higher ISO noise banding on some bodies. I saw it years ago but I forget the body or bodies I was using at the time and I can't say which bodies display this issue and which don't. I don't really worry about that theses days as I don't take many high ISO shots now but it's just yet another issue to be aware of when looking at body and lens combinations.

It is absolutely GAS. Probably a bad habit but I like to change things up to keep me wanting to take a camera out - particularly digital. Film I'm happy sticking with one camera!

Another camera to potentially look at if you simply can't resist the GAS :D could be the G100. It's a small and light mini SLR design with a 20mp chip, a fully articulated screen and a lovely evf, a much better evf than you get on the GX9 or GX80.

I have one and I have one issue with it... There's no second top or near top of camera control so you have to use the back vertical control wheel as your second control dial and I find it way too easy to move and I'm constantly changing settings with it. Some people seem to have no issue with it though. Another possible issue is that the maximum mechanical shutter speed is 1/500 but that doesn't bother me as it can be set to automatically switch to the electronic shutter for faster speeds and 1/500 is easily enough for indoor shooting to avoid banding under artificial flickering lights. It also lacks IBIS but again this doesn't bother me.

It is absolutely GAS. Probably a bad habit but I like to change things up to keep me wanting to take a camera out.
Nothing wrong with that.

Being a bit on the miserly side, I keep looking out for bargains. When I find one that suits me, I pounce. Every so often I've had to sell stuff on, just to make space. It also provides money to buy other stuff. Some of the current collection...

Camera size comparison GX7 P1140750.JPG

Nothing wrong with that.

Being a bit on the miserly side, I keep looking out for bargains. When I find one that suits me, I pounce. Every so often I've had to sell stuff on, just to make space. It also provides money to buy other stuff. Some of the current collection...

I've sold some film era primes recently, not for much money but still... lenses sold means I can buy something else :D

Nothing wrong with that.

View attachment 368027
Something for every occasion :) I don't like to accumulate too many things as then I struggle to decide. I do enjoy selling stuff that I don't use to then buy something else. Even if that then turns into a shelf ornament to later be sold...and so the cycle continues!

I have a GX9 with a Lumix 12-60mm and it's a combo I enjoy using. I find the tilting EVF useful as I'm left-eyed and a few degrees of tilt keeps my nose off the screen. The field-sequential EVF that Panasonic insist on using is not the camera's best feature and you'll probably notice that compared to your Fuji(s).

GX80 fan here, my first Panasonic, it was a toss up between the GX80, GX9 and I even looked a the little GX800.

I wanted something small, discrete, flat top, with a tilt-up screen for Street. I looked at the comparison sites & videos and settled for the GX80. Some reported that the 16 vs 20mp made little or no difference, especially for when viewing on a computer screen. Some preferred the 16 over 20mp, bigger pixels!

I love it! It takes a year of more of playing to learn where everything is, short cuts, how to make the most of it. All good fun. You never stop learning.

I don't use the EVF, I'm just so used to holding camera down with screen up. Occasionally up with the screen down. I can see the screen no problem to compose the shot, see things like the Zebras, I don't use the histogram or any extra clutter.

Like @Snapsh0t I use the Lumix 12-60, (not the 12-32 kit lens). I've got smaller cameras and bigger, but this is my go-to.

I’ve been looking around for a dedicated L-bracket for my G9 with no luck. Is there such a thing or will I have to use a universal one and hope for the best? I know you can get a cage for it, but that’s not for me,

I’ve been looking around for a dedicated L-bracket for my G9 with no luck. Is there such a thing or will I have to use a universal one and hope for the best? I know you can get a cage for it, but that’s not for me,
An L bracket to me is something a flash attaches to, I'm sure that is not what you mean?

Only specific one was a now discontinued SmallRig one like this https://cvp.com/product/smallrig-2191-l-bracket-for-lumix-g9
I have a cheapo adjustable Pig Iron one which works if you don't want to use the LCD swung out or side ports.
Luckily the remote release jack is on the opposite side which helps a lot.

Always surprised me someone like RRS or Kirk never bothered or one of the far east mob like Sunwayfoto

Last edited:
Only specific one was a now discontinued SmallRig one like this https://cvp.com/product/smallrig-2191-l-bracket-for-lumix-g9
I have a cheapo adjustable Pig Iron one which works if you don't want to use the LCD swung out or side ports.
Luckily the remote release jack is on the opposite side which helps a lot.

Always surprised me someone like RRS or Kirk never bothered or one of the far east mob like Sunwayfoto
I know about the extinct SmallRig, and I believe RRS listed one for a very short period. Does the Pig Iron one clear the battery access?

I know about the extinct SmallRig, and I believe RRS listed one for a very short period. Does the Pig Iron one clear the battery access?
Can't remember to be honest, i'll have a look later on and let you know.
Use it once in a Blue moon and don't think i've ever needed to change the battery with it on

Can't remember to be honest, i'll have a look later on and let you know.
Use it once in a Blue moon and don't think i've ever needed to change the battery with it on
@Stephen L
When suitably positioned it gives access to the battery and the jacks too.
Think it was 15 or 20 quid from Jack The Hat, can't remember exactly.

IMG_1303 1.jpg
IMG_1304 1.jpg

Last edited:

I wouldn't myself consider getting rid of a system just because you're bored with it. In general, I found the Fuji IQ a little better than MFT (haven't shot with a GX9) but it does depend to a large extent what you use for post-processing. I was forced to invest in Capture One to use with my X-Pro2 because Lightroom had so many issues with the XTrans sensor. How that I have moved to a Nikon Z6 as my primary system, I'm back with LR because, although the actual rendering of detail as not as good as the finest, the overall colour and micro contrast does seem to be the nicest with C1 tending to garish purples and the other alternatives often lacking proper local contrast or have other issues such as highlight recovery. Anyway, I digress. The Fuji 50-140 is far better than the consumer telephoto lenses but then again, do you want a 1kg lens (for me it's not really an issue) because getting an equivalent depth of field with the FujiX system system to FF requires lenses with an aperture 2x faster so they may not be a weight saving.

Basically, if light weight is the prime consideration, then m43 is probably the best bet. Except for your phone.....

GX85 and 20mm on today's bike ride.
52387440852_c5a1be887d_o.jpg

Had an hour to kill today so wandered round town with the GX85 and the 20mm and took about 80 photos. When I looked at them in Lightroom this afternoon I deleted all of them. Total failure. I shall ponder on what I should have done differently. Initial thought is that I should have found a good place and waited, rather than wandering aimlessly. Second thought is that I wasn't really sure what I was after.

Last edited:
Had an hour to kill today so wandered round town with the GX85 and the 20mm and took about 80 photos. When I looked at them in Lightroom this afternoon I deleted all of them. Total failure. I shall ponder on what I should have done differently. Initial thought is that I should have found a good place and waited, rather than wandering aimlessly. Second thought is that I wasn't really sure what I was after.
A total failure in what way? Technically? Composition? Sometimes I end up deleting all of a “wandering “ with the camera, but if you enjoyed the experience of operating the camera, of actually taking the photo, well that’s a result. Never mind if the end result is a flop.

EDIT sometimes I find that by judicious cropping and conversion to mono a “scrap” photo can be made into something completely different.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSB
Back