"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I have a Tz90 and G80.
I love them both as cameras but usually end up screaming and swearing whenever I try and xfer pics using the Panasonic Image app.
I've tried it direct and via wifi many many times. I've never used such a flakey app.

Has anybody ever found a way of making it work reliably?

Ps. I'm an IT and network tech. :rolleyes:

I have a Tz90 and G80.
I love them both as cameras but usually end up screaming and swearing whenever I try and xfer pics using the Panasonic Image app.
I've tried it direct and via wifi many many times. I've never used such a flakey app.

It has always worked when I have tried it, but life is too short for the overall time it takes :)

I used to worry about card slots when continuously inserting and removing cards, but have never worn one out or had problems yet (on SD cards)

I have a Tz90 and G80.

You could see if the newer Lumix Sync App works with your cameras.
I tried it just out of interest with my G9 and it seemed ok.
Did try the image app a couple of times ages ago, but it just frustrated me so never bothered again.

It has always worked when I have tried it, but life is too short for the overall time it takes :)

I used to worry about card slots when continuously inserting and removing cards, but have never worn one out or had problems yet (on SD cards)
I usually use the card.
In this case I just had 1 pic I wanted to post on the forum.
I only had access to the Tz90 and my phone, so no real choice.

Still at the pit face, hacking out the code? I got out the moment I could afford to retire and haven't missed it a bit! :naughty:

Back on subject: I always have difficulty shifting data between phone and desk top systems. I just can't align my mental processes with the Android/IOS way of thinking and I suspect I never will. The only easy transfer I've found is an accounting package that works on both IOS and OSX, which synchronises in the background with zero user intervention. When camera operating systems can play the same game, I'll be happy to use them.

In the meantime, I always use a cable or a card to move images onto my home server.

Still at the pit face, hacking out the code? I got out the moment I could afford to retire and haven't missed it a bit! :naughty:
No. I just do home visit IT support now. :D Have been for 16 years. Stopped advertising 5 years ago.
I love it, most of my customers I've known for years now. Still net about 300 a week for a couple of days, which is always handy.

Few Panasonic bits on the classifieds for GX9, GX80 and some of the other smaller models.

Hi guy's, has anybody have experience with using the

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f2.8 Macro Lens

on a G9. Good or bad. Many thanks.

Hi there, been off the forum for months, so only just seen this.

I would say i have plenty of experience in using that combo (G9 + Oly 60mm 2.8 Macro lens). So im going to say for me, the lens is very good.
Ive shot over 20 000+ images since April, but all my subjects are UK wild Butterflies.
The lens can be quirky, but after awhile i got used to it. I always shoot using Autofocus too, you get used to the lens, its really about your subjects distance to lens. For me, Im shooting butterflies between 30 to 60cms distance, so lens setting stays the same. As i say, im using this lens for "Close up", rather than true "Macro".
Cheers Paul.

Some examples with G9/Oly 2.8 macro 60mm lens. Single images, Autofocus, no cropping, Jpegs, handheld, minimal editing.

Female Brown Argus Butterfly (2nd brood). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Silver Spotted Skipper Butterfly, on Harebell. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Male Common Blue Butterfly (2nd brood). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Marbled White Butterfly (female). No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

The Red Arrows at Sidmouth's tiny annual air display.

A cloudy, wet day with the sun straight ahead of the beach. The G9 and 100~400mm did the least bad job it could...

Red Arrows Sidmouth G9 P1014482.JPG

Hi guys

I've gone and bought a GX800!

EDIT

Last edited:
Reactions: CSB
G9II has been announced today, specs look good but I've not watched/read any reviews yet.

That G911 could tempt me over to 4/3rds. :oops: :$

That G911 could tempt me over to 4/3rds. :oops: :$

The specs are very impressive, the AF and IBIS systems are the best yet from Panasonic. I'd like to see a full review with sample images and dynamic range tests, as it uses a very similar sensor to the GH6 which was lacking in dynamic range below ISO 800. Apparently this had been addressed, but I'd like to know how good it really is.

wonder how it will compare with the OM-1
At a guess, it'll come down to preferences, rather than technical advantages.

In the meantime, I'm happy with my G9 and the 100~400mm...

Catalina at Weston Super Mare Air Show G9 P1010606.JPG

Will it make the owners better photographers?

I expect that as with most new models there'll just be some incremental improvements. These may not necessarily make anyone a better photographer but could add to the ownership and use experience and could sometimes even just possibly help you get a shot that's pushing the envelope of what's possible a little easier.

For example and moving away from MFT for a moment, my Sony A7 is the best camera I've ever owned (it's 10 years old this year) and the files are just lovely and the focus consistency and coverage and face detect do get me shots which would have been very difficult or even impossible just 20 years ago but des that make me a better photographer than I was 20 years ago? Probably :D

They come off those coaches at one hell of a lick! (G5 / Olympus 14~42mm)

Look out for cyclists sign Exeter G5 P1070111.jpg

Does anyone have a G100?

I have one but I can't get on with the handling as there's only one near top of camera control wheel and when wanting to control another setting you have to use the vertically mounted rear wheel, which I hate as I find it awkward to use and too easy to jog accidentally.

I suddenly thought that if I had an aperture ring on the lens I could disable the back wheel and use the lens aperture ring and the one existing near top of camera control. I think there's a Panasonic 15mm f1.7 with an aperture ring but I don't know of any others. This one lens could I suppose keep me happy and get me using the G100 if I can disable that pesky back control wheel.

Can any owners comment?

I had an odd one today.

I decided to use my G100 and 12-35mm f2.8 to copy some photos and after mounting the lens I did a test for dust bunnies at f22 against a white door. I spotted a diffused blob so I tried a blower and then did a wet clean and it was still there. I tried another lens and it was gone. I cleaned the 12-35mm front and back but the blob remained at f22 but was gone at f18. I can't see anything at all but I assume there must be something I can't see either on the back element or an internal element somewhere near the camera end of the lens.

In use the blob may not be visible if there's any detail/texture in a real world image and I can't see myself ever using such an extreme aperture as f18 never mind f22 so it doesn't matter.

Has anyone else seen a lens cause a dust bunny?

Last edited:
Hi all, I was just wondering what aspect ratio and size should I use on my panasonic G5, I only view images on my PC and post a few on here, I am only shooting in jpeg at the minute.

Hi all, I was just wondering what aspect ratio and size should I use on my panasonic G5, I only view images on my PC and post a few on here, I am only shooting in jpeg at the minute.
Use 4:3 it uses the full sensor, then crop if you want different.

Or just use what you like best :)

Hi all me again (sorry), looking for help with what flash gun will work with my panasonic G5?, looking to try a little macro shooting so need a flash and diffuser.
cheers Andy.

Hi all me again (sorry), looking for help with what flash gun will work with my panasonic G5?, looking to try a little macro shooting so need a flash and diffuser.
cheers Andy.
What lens? What is the subject?

There are options depending on what and how

cheers Andy.
Can't help you there Carpy. But I know a lot of photographers use stand alone LED lighting to illuminate their subjects.

What lens? What is the subject?

There are options depending on what and how
At the moment I only have the 2 lenses, the 14-42 and the 45-150, both kit lenses I believe. I am looking to get a cheaper macro lens like the 7Artisans 60mm, but I am just using close up filters for now. I will be shooting mostly things I can find in my local park, ie small bugs, flowers etc, or things I can find in the house when the weather is bad lol. I wanted to try focus bracketing/stacking, but not available on this camera body, so may get a focusing rail to try and do manual bracketing, I have a site to do stacking as I do not have the software like lightroom yet. For now this is all trial and error for me as I am still working out what I like and don't like. I seem to favour close up to landscapes, that may be down to being new to all this, or maybe it is just that flowers, bugs etc are just easier to photograph.

One option for macro is a manual film era macro lens to use via a cheap dumb adapter. Macro is very often manual focus so the lack of AF may not be an issue.

I have a Sigma 50mm f2.8 which is 1:1 and there are macro options which are longer, some aren't 1:1 but may still be options.

At the moment I only have the 2 lenses, the 14-42 and the 45-150, both kit lenses I believe. I am looking to get a cheaper macro lens like the 7Artisans 60mm, but I am just using close up filters for now. I will be shooting mostly things I can find in my local park, ie small bugs, flowers etc, or things I can find in the house when the weather is bad lol. I wanted to try focus bracketing/stacking, but not available on this camera body, so may get a focusing rail to try and do manual bracketing, I have a site to do stacking as I do not have the software like lightroom yet. For now this is all trial and error for me as I am still working out what I like and don't like. I seem to favour close up to landscapes, that may be down to being new to all this, or maybe it is just that flowers, bugs etc are just easier to photograph.

I doubt if a body with focus stacking is any where near what your budget was :)
The 45-150 is very good for close ups, light and easy to use, and you can get back a bit from the subject, useful when it will fly away, combine that with a X1 or X2 screw on close up lens, and you will get some good results. Do not fill the frame with the subject, the screw on lenses will give good results, but any possible loss of image quality will be first noticed at the edges of the frame. Most times when a shot doesn't quite look right, it is not the lens errors that can be seen !

For bracketing, you can try:-

Set the camera to manual focus, and focus on the centre of the subject, then at the far part and close part of the subject, at the same time make a mental note of the focus indicator on the camera screen. The, starting just outside of either the far or near position, take a series of photos changing the focus slightly each time until you get just outside the other end.

It gets quite easy and quick with a bit of practice, and works quite well.

I use Affinity for stacking and merging, both for focus and HDR. The G5 can take a 5X1 exposure bracket, and the setting can be stored in C1 (or which ever you choose) for instant access.

Using the 45-140 lens, you could probably get away with using a flash, possibly with a couple of reflectors (can just be styrofoam or some card with crumpled kitchen foil stuck to it) near the subject.
Just about any flash will work on the G5 used in manual mode, but be sure to use a modern flash designed for digital cameras, as many old flashes made for film cameras may fry your G5.

I have a couple of Nissin Di466s that integrate fully with all the Panasonics I have, and if I need more I use separate flashes with light triggers.

I also have some LED light rings that fit on the front of the lens, they work quite well for small things usually indoors, haven't tried the outside enough to say they work well

I'm back lol, do you use manual or electronic shutter on the Panasonic G series??.
Usually use electronic, except when you have a fast moving subject, want to use flash, or under fluorescent or some other artificial lights.

I'm back lol, do you use manual or electronic shutter on the Panasonic G series??.

If you want to go faster than the mechanical shutter can go (often it only goes to 1/4,000) use the electronic shutter.
If you want to shoot silently use the electronic shutter.
If you are worried about shutter shock use the electronic shutter.
If you are worried about banding under artificial lighting use the mechanical shutter.
If you are worried about rolling shutter effects use the mechanical shutter.

I’ve recently bought a Panasonic gx8 secondhand. Taken a few test shots with it and it’s okay. Used to have a Panasonic gx80 and the shutter on that was so much nicer. On the gx8 it feels loud and clunky. So, I’m pretty much only shooting it with the electronic shutter which limits motion in pictures due to the jello effect. The gx9 is a great camera, but why they didn’t keep the viewfinder and weather sealing of the gx8 is mind boggling. If they ever release another gx camera I’d pray for the weather sealing and viewfinder of the gx8, but the much smoother mechanical shutter of the gx80 (and assuming the gx9, which I’ve never actually used). I may sell the gx8 and look for g80/90. I just like range finder styled cameras.

Last edited:
I’ve recently bought a Panasonic gx8 secondhand. Taken a few test shots with it and it’s okay. Used to have a Panasonic gx85 and the shutter on that was so much nicer. On the gx8 it feels loud and clunky. So, I’m pretty much only shooting it with the electronic shutter which limits motion in pictures due to the jello effect. The gx9 is a great camera, but why they didn’t keep the viewfinder and weather sealing of the gx8 is mind boggling. If they ever release another gx camera I’d pray for the weather sealing and viewfinder of the gx8, but the much smoother mechanical shutter of the gx85 (and assuming the gx9, which I’ve never actually used). I may sell the gx8 and look for g80/90. I just like range finder styled cameras.

If you go from the GX8 to the G80, you go from 20MB to 16MB.

I have G9s and a GX9 and find they go well together. I used to worry about weather sealing, until I realised I don't need it. I wonder how many people actually do need it.

Before I bought the GX9 I discussed it on here, and the almost unanimous conclusion was the GX9 was better in many ways then the GX8, though I really liked the grip shape of the GX8.

The rolling shutter will only be noticeable on some types of motion shots in certain circumstances, I use electronic nearly all the time, and not had any issues.

The G80 is a lovely camera, my son took over mine for school, and he really enjoys it, but it is only 16MB which may or may not matter to you.

If you go from the GX8 to the G80, you go from 20MB to 16MB.

I have G9s and a GX9 and find they go well together. I used to worry about weather sealing, until I realised I don't need it. I wonder how many people actually do need it.

Before I bought the GX9 I discussed it on here, and the almost unanimous conclusion was the GX9 was better in many ways then the GX8, though I really liked the grip shape of the GX8.

The rolling shutter will only be noticeable on some types of motion shots in certain circumstances, I use electronic nearly all the time, and not had any issues.

The G80 is a lovely camera, my son took over mine for school, and he really enjoys it, but it is only 16MB which may or may not matter to you.
I used to own a gx80 and g80. Kind of wish I never got rid of those after playing with other cameras and I don’t know if the 20mp vs 16mp makes a significant enough difference for me. The gx/g80 have no AA filters whereas the gx8 does, so there’s really little in it between them. Although I’ve never used a gx9 which also has no AA filter and a 20mp sensor. Still, I love the format of the gx8, with a big viewfinder and weather sealing that gives me peace of mind in wet weather. I may not need the weather sealing, but I’m a sucker for the marketing of it. I just wish the gx8 had the shutter of the gx80. That’d be as close as I’d ever get to my perfect camera. I’ll probably find myself going back to gx80 and g80 combo soon lol

Back