Panasonic G3 v G5 v G6 ?

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I am thinking of swapping my Dslr for a compact system - I was tempted before but really do fancy the smaller lighter system offered by the Panasonic range.

A viewfinder is a must and I will be selling my d5100 to fund it - I don't want to lose much in picture quality either.

The G6 looks ideal but is still a bit pricey so have been looking at the G3 and G5 - can anyone advise which is the best to go for ?

Thanks

I had a G3 and didn't really get on with it so switched to a Nikon 1 system as my holiday snapper which suits me better. If you're sold on the G series then I understand that the G5 handling is a lot better than the G3 but I've not used one myself. There's a dedicated Panasonic G owners thread HERE, a lot of owners watch that thread so you may get a better response there if you don't get many replies here. HTH :)

G5 has MUCH better ergonomics than the G3 IMHO (bigger grip/better placed buttons). I own both.

The G6 is a refinement of the G5. I won't be upgrading the G5 (or G3) for a G6. Best bang for buck would be the G5 IMHO.

I use a G1 and fancy a sensor upgrade. The G3 feels very strange in my hands. Nothing seems to be located in the right spot - particularly the shutter button. The G5 feels just right.

I have only used the G5 out of the three cameras but love it. I still have my canon 5D II and will keep both systems. From all the reviews I read the G5 is a lot better then the G3, not really read any for the G6 but not intrested in up grading. I went from a GF1 to the G5 and not wanting to change again.

I would go for either the G5 or G6 if you can get to a camera shop check both out and see which you prefer. If you are selling your other gear to fund the new camera then the G6 might be the best choice for you, as even though it more money selling your other gear should cover the difference.

Back