Nikon D300 (still own)

And that's not including the 'compacts' which include -

Olympus AF1
Ricoh GR1 (still Own)
Nikon 35ti (still own)
Canon G2
Panasonic LX-1
Ricoh GRD 2 (still own)

Ignoring my film cameras, in many situations the digital compacts are capable of awsome results apart from 2 areas -

Control of depth of field (this is due to the VERY short focal lengths of the lenses on compacts due to the small sensor size)
Noise at high ISOs (due to the relative lack of base sensitivity of the small sensors- Large sensors = more photons hitting each pixel)

The noise thing i can cope with, specially if i use B&W, but i've always gone back to big, heavy SLRs simply to get the perspective and control of DOF that a longer focal length lens gives me. So, what i really want is an SLR with a big sensor that is the same size as a compact. Not going to happen, but the panasonic GF1 is as close as i'm going to get for now. So i bought one (with the lovely 20mm f1.7 pancake lens)! I tried the Olympus (i have a soft spot for the brand) e-p1 but felt it crippled with terrible autofocus and no built in flash (i don't use flash indoors much but find it invaluable for outdoor fills)

So far, i'm smitten with the GF1. It is fantastically responsive and fast. Not far off my D300 in that respect. Focus seems accurate and exposure seems sensibly done. Plus it has all the features, bells and whistles one expects of a modern camera..?... I took a few shots this morning on the way back from taking the kids to school. Nothing particularly artistic but a few examples of shots that would have been impossible with a compact due to not being able to control DOF. They can be found here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30578910@N07/sets/72157622575656032/
Even pixel peeping the quality wide open on the 20mm f1.7 looks as good as any of my Nikon primes. The colour rendition also seems warmer than the Nikon cool norm.

I'm of to the U.S. on Thusday for 10 days (3 days pleasure in NYC 6 days work in Indianapolis ) so will give the camera a workout there.

Now the question, i'm sooooooo tempted to sell the D300 and the 2 DX lenses i have for it (but keep all the primes for the inevitable full frame Nikon DSLR one day that i'll probably end up buying..) as the GF1 is so portable and flexible for 85% of the photos i ever take. I could then invest the money in a couple more micro 2/3rds lenses - The 45mm Leica macro and 7-14 Panasonic zoom are calling to me. The camera plus all 3 lenses would weigh less and be more compact than the D300 with the 16-85 fitted.

Anyway, again, i'm more smitten with this camera than any other i can ever remember. Review over.

Cheers!

Peter.

I'd love to hear your further opinions as my father is looking for a new camera so I'm quite interested.

oh, and I couldn't get your flickr link to work.. any chance of a repost?

dave

Totally agree with you - I picked up the GF-1 with the 14-45 lens last week and have the 20mm pancake on order

I previously owned the Olympus EP-1 and was smitten by the idea of it but in operation it was the most frustrating camera I've ever owned.

The Panasonic improves in just about every measure on the EP-1 and the 14-45 kit lens is a star for it's price. I also own a Leica M8 so, with the Novoflex adapter, can use my primes lenses from the Leica on the GF-1 which produces really sharp results.

Panasonic really seem to have got the Micro 4/3's concept spot on - I previously had a G1 which I had to sell to get the GF-1 and loved this too. The good news is that I can use the flash and 45-200 lens from that.

I have a feeling that the GF-1 is going to become my take everywhere choice

The concept of these has appealed to me a fair bit, but I've just been reading this quite detailed review here:

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4129&review=panasonic+lumix+gf1

It looks pretty good for a compact, but its not a compact is it if you have a removable lens stuck out the front and a couple in your bag.

The image quality probably isn't that much better (in the samples in that review) than the top end "proper compact" Lumix LX3 and the cost is through the roof!

GF-1 is £518 from WHE!

With no proper viewfinder it seems focus accuracy (when it matters for your shot) is an issue too.

Nice idea, but I think the high end compact is still the king of portability vs performance. Beyond that I'd be looking at a proper SLR and size be damned!

Having used the GF-1 and owned a G1 (which has the same sensor) and previously an LX3 I'd disagree with this.

For good light I agree there isn't much between the GF-1 and many compacts but as soon as you start to ramp up the ISO the GF-1 blows away any compact on the market. AP said the very same when they compared to G1 to the Canon G10 albeit I accept the G10 has poor high ISO performance).

Focussing has never been an issue for me on the G1 or GF-1 (it was with the EP-1 which was abysmal). AF is very effective (much faster than any compact too) and the manual focus mode (which enlarges the focus point on the screen) is excellent.

It's not a compact in terms of size but it is light and compact compared to a DSLR (even the smaller one's) also it doesn't pretend to be a compact. The ability to change lenses immediately sets it above any compact for me, especially as adapters can be bought relatively cheaply to enable the use of many makes of manual focus lenses. Being able to use my Leica and Voigtlander lenses makes it a winner for me.

Reviews always vary (AP sang the praises of the GF-1 as have several other respected publications). All can say is that as someone who has used the GF-1 quite a bit over the last week and the G1 extensively I have been delighted with them both

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your first impressions and images from the GF1, the pictures look great.

I am getting a GF1 and 20mm delivered tomorrow, :) :) I'm hoping it will fit in well between my D700 and Ricoh GRD, sometimes the D700 is just too huge, and while the GRD is a fantastic little compact when the light is good, I miss not having any control over depth of field.

Julie

and while the GRD is a fantastic little compact when the light is good, I miss not having any control over depth of field.

Julie

Thanks Julie. These are my exact reasons for getting the GF1 to complement my GRD2. Todays compacts have fantastic IQ in most situations but their tiny focal length lenses just don't let you control DOF. They may be sharp but creativity using focus is destroyed.

Cheers,

Peter.

Conceptually, I think this is the shape of things to come. But I'm not sure electronic viewfinders are quite there yet, and the contrast-detect AF (as in all compacts and cameras like this) can't match the speed and accuracy of phase-detect yet (as used in all DSLRs).

But when Canon and the other big players get in on it, as they most certainly will, it will shake up the market big time. These cameras have fundamental advantages. They are the logical realisation of what a 100% digtial camera for enthusiasts should be, as opposed to a film SLR with a digital sensor stuck in it.

Final hurdle is to get rid of the mechanical shutter and use sensor switching instead. That will then be a solid state camera!

To those of you that have a GF-1, are you using it with the EVF? The optical viewfinder for the Olympus sounds to me like a better idea, but as they have stated that they intend to restrict supply to keep the price up the Panasonic is looking as if it might be a better choice - once the price drops a bit :D

Hoppy I think you are bang on the money there!!!

Electronic shutter would be a godsend too - think about higher flash sync speeds!!

Conceptually, I think this is the shape of things to come. But I'm not sure electronic viewfinders are quite there yet, and the contrast-detect AF (as in all compacts and cameras like this) can't match the speed and accuracy of phase-detect yet (as used in all DSLRs).

But when Canon and the other big players get in on it, as they most certainly will, it will shake up the market big time. These cameras have fundamental advantages. They are the logical realisation of what a 100% digtial camera for enthusiasts should be, as opposed to a film SLR with a digital sensor stuck in it.

Final hurdle is to get rid of the mechanical shutter and use sensor switching instead. That will then be a solid state camera!

Not sure about the technical aspects of this as I haven't heard about these until now. However the portability of these cameras would be a big+ over my DSLR. I've yet to take a picture outside with it, it's not something I can just stuff in my pocket so trips have to be planned.

Something like this could stay in a pocket and be available whenever I need it.... wow

What lenses are available other than the 20mm prime and the 14-45mm?

Lens choice is a bit restricted at the moment. There is the 14-45, 20mm, 45-200 and the 14-140

Also (although don't know if they're released yet) there is a 45mm and a 7-14

There is an adapter to use full 4/3's lenses but on the Panasonic you can't guarantee you'll get full AF

The great strength of the micro 4/3's system is that you can get adapters to use loads of old (and excellent) manual lenses.

A lad at work has just bought one, and brought it in today.

have to say I was impressed.

He has subsequently sold all his DSLR gear.

Also (although don't know if they're released yet) there is a 45mm and a 7-14

They are available:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy...lumix-g-vario-micro-four-thirds-lens/p1032412
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy...-vario-elmar-micro-4-3rds-macro-lens/p1033361

You can also use the "normal" 4/3rds lenses via the following adapter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/588085-REG/Panasonic_DMW_MA1_DMW_MA1_Mount_Adapter_to.html

I really like the concept of the micro 4/3rds system but if you add it all up, it's going to be more expensive that buying a small Canon DSLR with a full range of lenses. However, in terms of portability it looks great!

This has really got my attention... does anyone know if the ring lens adapter has any down sides?

I've used mine with a couple of Voigtlander M mount lenses - the 15mm lens is a fabulous walkabout - massive depth of field at anything f5.6 and above

Put the camera on auto iso, pre-focus and it's a superb street shooting combination especially using the dynamic black and white film setting

Is it cheaper to buy it either duty free, or whilst in the US?

Having spoken to my friend in the States he tells me the camera is as rare as rocking horse **** over there

Is it cheaper to buy it either duty free, or whilst in the US?

Possibly, but when you've paid duty and VAT or whatever, chances are you could have bought it cheaper locally.

If you fancy just walking through customs with it undeclared, bear in mind that you risk having it confiscated. Possibly worse if they take a dislike to you. Technically it's a serious offence but, a bit like speeding, everyone does it now and then. Just be aware of the consequencies if you get caught.

I think as well if you're going to invest that amount it's worth paying the extra and having a uk warranty

Those sample photos look really good (from a camera demonstration point of view of course :). The bokey looks very smooth and the shallow DoF is great too.

I have an LX3 at the moment which is fantastic - I love the Panasonic build quality and the IQ & control is great for a compact. But...hmmm...may have to have a look at your new little purchase.

Whats shutter lag like on the GF1 compared to a dSLR?
Looking at alternative camera's if my arm gets worse.

I've certainly not had an issue with shutter lag. It's not as instant as my D700 used to be but never been a problem in getting a shot off in time - neither was my G1

I've certainly not had an issue with shutter lag. It's not as instant as my D700 used to be but never been a problem in getting a shot off in time - neither was my G1

thats good to hear. thats been the only worry regards compact size, will they be fast enough to snap the kids/dogs running round the garden.

Whats shutter lag like on the GF1 compared to a dSLR?
Looking at alternative camera's if my arm gets worse.

Check the link from DPReview in post #13. In the conclusion it says "Shutter lag long compared to an SLR (but good compared to a compact)"

Full conclusion and summary from DPReview here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/page33.asp They give it their Highly Recommended rating and I do rate their tests. Gushing review actually!

Check the link from DPReview in post #13. In the conclusion it says "Shutter lag long compared to an SLR (but good compared to a compact)"

suppose one way round it, is shoot HD video and grab stills from it.

HoppyUK said:
Full conclusion and summary from DPReview here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/page33.asp They give it their Highly Recommended rating and I do rate their tests. Gushing review actually!

Read that review plus their 4/3rd's forum is full of *** who have swapped from dSLR to 4/3 or M4/3

Didnt know anything about the GF1 till Radiohead pointed it out to me plus it looks nice and light which is the main thing im after.
Might see if my local panasonic dealer has one in at the weekend.

suppose one way round it, is shoot HD video and grab stills from it.

Rubbish quality compared to stills, under 1m pixels I think.

Read that review plus their 4/3rd's forum is full of *** who have swapped from dSLR to 4/3 or M4/3

Didnt know anything about the GF1 till Radiohead pointed it out to me plus it looks nice and light which is the main thing im after.
Might see if my local panasonic dealer has one in at the weekend.

If you like this style of camera, Olympus E-P1 is similar (but not as good).

Don't be put off by the comments re shutter lag - as yet it's given me o problems and it probably isn;t the sort of camera you'd be shooting sports pictures with anyway.

As you've suggested the best thing is to find one in a store and try it out - I don't think you'll be disappointed

BTW they're a strange bunch on the 4/3's forum on DPReview - very tetchy group of people (especially the Olympus owners) :)

I've certainly not had an issue with shutter lag. It's not as instant as my D700 used to be

If you can actually perceive the difference (as opposed to reading the spec) then its really quite slow indeed by SLR standards.... slow enough to give any kind of action/moving shots issues.

I'd guess though looking at the lenses available that its more about scenery than long lens zoomed in action. I still think its too big to be a zero inconvenience but reasonable quality holiday snapper....

Hi all,

I received my GF1/20mm kit yesterday and managed to have a play with it for the first time today, I thought I’d write my first impressions here, in case anyone was interested.

The build quality seems quite high, It’s nice and solid, and also quite heavy for it’s size. I don’t like the handgrip, it is very small and seems like an afterthought, I can understand why they made it so small as the main selling point of this camera is it’s size, I just wished they had made it a tiny bit deeper. I also think it could have been greatly improved with a more grippy texture on the areas where you put your fingers, it’s quite smooth and slippy. That said, it’s still very usable and probably something I’ll quickly get used to.

The buttons all seem quite logically laid out and most of the commonly used settings can be accessed quite easily, I like the single dial for the main adjustments, I use aperture priority mode and use exposure compensation quite often, I like using the single dial and pressing it to change priorities, it works very well and it quite instinctive when you have used it a few times.

The only really issue I have is flash exposure compensation, I use this a lot for fill flash and don’t like having to go into the menus to access it, I would have liked to have the option of setting it with the Fn button.

The screen is very nice unless you try and use it in full sunlight, in those situations I found it quite disappointing and not much of an improvement over my old Ricoh GRD, that said I was using it with auto brightness, next time its sunny I’ll try manually setting it to full brightness. I was hoping it would be usable in sunlight but if it does not improve I’m going to have to look at getting either the EVF or even an optical finder (as I only plan on having the 20mm for the GF1). It was something I hoped I would not need to do.

My main reason for buying the GF1 was to have the option of having a shallow depth of field when required, as the sensor of the GF1 is relatively small (compared to full frame) I know that I’ll be using it a lot wide open to get the effect I want, one problem I ran into was that the shutter speed only went up to 4000th of a second and often when it was sunny I was unable to take a shot wide open as it would have been overexposed even at 4000th of a second, not a problem with the camera as 4000th is quite a reasonable shutter speed, I plan to overcome this problem by buying a 2X neutral density filter.

Auto focusing is very quick, 99% of the time I’ll be using the camera to shoot static subjects and I’m sure I’ll be very happy with the AF in those situations, even in low light with a low contrast subject it seems to focus without hesitation. Very SLR like, for static subjects at least.

Shot to shot times, however, are not very SLR like, it feels much slower than modern SLRs, even entry level ones, however, I am currently using a 4 year old SD card, so I don’t know if this is causing it to be slower, I was not shooting in quick succession so I would have thought the buffer would have been used and the SD card should not have caused an issue? I have a class 6 card on order so I won’t really be able to judge this until I get the new card. As it stands with the old card there was a definite wait before another shot could be taken, it’s hard to quantify how long it is, I might just be very picky after using my D700 almost exclusively for the last year. On the plus side it much much quicker than my GRD, and is the quickest “compact” camera I have ever used.

I’ve not really studied image quality yet, I’ve been shooting standard jpegs all day, I just wanted to get a feel for the camera and get used to the controls, when I use it “properly” I’ll be shooting raw so I’m not really concerned how the jpegs look. However at quick glance they look perfectly acceptable with no hidden nasty surprises, I think I’m going to be happy with the image quality, and it seems to fit in between the quality of my GRD and D700, exactly as I expected.

Even though its obvious that the GF1 is far from perfect, I actually think I’m going to like it when I get to know it a bit better, a camera like this is always going to be a compromise and I think, for me a least, the balance is about right.

Julie

41joy6IJkaL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

:)

i was looking at this one yesterday

nice to touch...

Been thinking about the G1, but would be better to stick with the D80, just loose the grip.
GF1 looks best option, nice and compact with changable lens if the need arises.
Be interested in how the GF1 handles with the "bigger" zooms?
Would it be worth getting the EVF for them?

I've kept my 45-200 and it works well with the GF-1 but I would recommend using it with the EVF as it's not great using a long lens and holding the camera out to look at the screen

I've kept my 45-200 and it works well with the GF-1 but I would recommend using it with the EVF as it's not great using a long lens and holding the camera out to look at the screen

Do you have the EVF, Dave? If so how do you find it? The add-on vf is my main reason for wanting either one of these or the Olympus, but I just can't use a camera where you only have an LCD.

Back