Panasonic GF2

Edit My Images
No
Hi folks.

This is my first thread on Talk Photography.

So, last year I bought a Sony HX5 compact camera. Its been fine but I fancy an upgrade.

Today I was in Best Buy and they had the GF2 at £199 or a bit more for the twin lens deal. They also had the GF3 for £239 and a bit more for the twin lens deal. Is the other lens the Pancake one?

What's peoples thoughts on the GF2? I have watched reviews about them both.

What cases do people have for them? Do Panasonic do their own?

Thanks in advance.

Which Bestbuy was that in? They look excellent prices!!
Sorry can't help you on your specific question, but there's a massive thread on Panasonic 'G' series here

Oh, and welcome to the forums :)

It was Nottingham.

If I sell my Sony, how much do you think it's worth? In Pristine condition with box and a Sony leather case.

I've got a GF3 with both the 14mm and 20mm pancakes.

Cases are a bit of a nightmare. There's not really anything that keeps the form of the camera small. I ended up buying a small video camera case and also a neoprene hard drive case for carrying the camera with one lens in a pocket.

People slag off the GF3 but I don't really know why. Image quality is the same as the other 2 but it's lacking a few buttons.

The GF2 is a great camera but to me it was just that little bit too big. The GF3 can fit in a coat pocket with the 14mm attached and that to me is worth sacrificing a little bit of form for.

So do we think the GF2 at £199 is a good price? Or would you buy the GF3 for £239?

sound_system said:
I've got a GF3 with both the 14mm and 20mm pancakes.

Cases are a bit of a nightmare. There's not really anything that keeps the form of the camera small. I ended up buying a small video camera case and also a neoprene hard drive case for carrying the camera with one lens in a pocket.

People slag off the GF3 but I don't really know why. Image quality is the same as the other 2 but it's lacking a few buttons.

The GF2 is a great camera but to me it was just that little bit too big. The GF3 can fit in a coat pocket with the 14mm attached and that to me is worth sacrificing a little bit of form for.
The GF2 doesn't have a lot of love either, as you say the images are the same so whatever form factor suits is all good. I thought I wouldn't be able to live without a hot shoe, but fast lenses mean I hardly ever use an external flash with my GF2, although I like the results I get when I do! That said, the GF2 was cheaper, so that's my top criteria fulfilled ;)

It was Nottingham.
Just that little bit too far awayfor me!! May have a look in the Derby branch tomorrow, if I can be bothered.

So do we think the GF2 at £199 is a good price? Or would you buy the GF3 for £239?

You can check on http://www.camerapricebuster.com to see latest online prices, although I can't see a a GF2 body only price. So having looked at the prices (for GF3) more closely, they are OK, about on par with online retailers, but not the bargain I initially thought, assuming they are body only prices? Also, I think it'll be too late tomorrow for the cashback promotion from Panasonic? I think you needed to buy before 31st Dec.

No, it's not body only.

You get the 14-42mm lens with it. Or there is another deal that's called twin lens. I think it was the Pancake lens.

So which would you go for?

GF2 or GF3? Both with 14-42mm lens.

Right!! So, it is a good price then.
On camerapricebusters:

GF2 + 14-42 = £293.37
GF3 + 14-42 = £329.00

So about a £100 saving!!

Yes. That's what I thought too.

At Currys it's £298.99 with a 14mm lens. I assume that means 14-42mm?

So there is a 14mm and a 14-42mm? Both are different?

Any how, is the GF2 worth £199 with a 14-42mm?

Deleted
...and reinstated so as to make the thread make sense.

You will have to make your mind up soon as your choices will not hang around long at those prices, Best Buy are closing down all their UK stores and I imagine folk will be all over the stores like ants looking for a bargain!

We can only give you so much advice and answers to your questions the decision finally rests with you, we can not tell you which one to buy that is your decision.

I trust you have also been googling reviews and A-B comparison tests between each camera and choice of lenses, that should answer a lot of your questions, that is what I do when I am trying to make a decision.

I am not having a go at you or trying to deter you from asking questions just simply trying to help you decide.

Good luck....and all the best for your next step up into the world of photography:)

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

The reason for firing lots of questions is so I can make a decision fast.

There is only 2 choices in Best Buy.

The 14-42mm or Twin Lens package which I THINK is the 14mm Prime?

The twin lens pack does include the 14mm. It's a great lens and if you buy the twin pack you'll find you use the 14mm a lot of the time.

Where is the cheapest price for the 14mm lens?

If you are prepared to get an unboxed one then there are some on ebay. I bought mine from podmantech_uk for ~£130. The cheap ebay 14mm lenses have been discussed over on the dpreview four thirds forum and the consensus is that they are ok.

Another alternative is http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/5573/Panasonic-Lumix-G-14-mm-F2-5-Aspherical-Lens---Unboxed-.html at £169. However they are out of stock today although IIRC they were available a few days ago.

If you can get it in the kit then I suspect that will work out cheaper.

Last edited:
The GF's are good cameras, the GF2 wasn't as popular because it went almost completely touch screen and lost a lot of it's manual controls, but you do get a smaller body, but not as small as the GF3.

If you like the camera, happy with touch screens, and want something small with good IQ then the GF2 isn't a bad choice at all.

Note that the GF's are micro four thirds cameras, which means you can use all the Panasonic and Olympus m43 lenses, if you wasn't aware.

In Derby branch now. GF3 + 14mm is £258. GF2 + 14-42 is as above £199. That the only 2 kits available.

My partner got a GF2 with twin lens kit about 3 months ago and really likes it - she sold the 14-42 lens for about £65 as it's a bit pointless having a tiny camera with a big lens and kept the 14mm pancake. Here's some shots she took with it on a trip to Brussels recently http://www.pbase.com/ambhaims/brussels

It's probably best for people who prefer semi auto modes like shutter priority & aperture priority as it's a bit more fiddly to use in full manual than a DSLR as a single wheel controls both aperture AND shutter speed.

It's also best for people who like auto focus rather than manual focus as the lens has no distance scale.

It's probably best for people who prefer semi auto modes like shutter priority & aperture priority as it's a bit more fiddly to use in full manual than a DSLR as a single wheel controls both aperture AND shutter speed.

I use manual on my DSLR and have found the single wheel on the G series very convenient and easy to use...everyone to their own I suppose:)

The GF's are good cameras, the GF2 wasn't as popular because it went almost completely touch screen and lost a lot of it's manual controls, but you do get a smaller body, but not as small as the GF3.

If you like the camera, happy with touch screens, and want something small with good IQ then the GF2 isn't a bad choice at all.

Note that the GF's are micro four thirds cameras, which means you can use all the Panasonic and Olympus m43 lenses, if you wasn't aware.

I find this to be a bit of a fallacy. I've got a GF3 which has the touch screen and I barely use it. 99% of the camera's functions are accessible without using it.

The touch screen is very good for some things. Touch focus is a great feature when you've got the camera set up on a tripod.

The touch screen is very good for some things. Touch focus is a great feature when you've got the camera set up on a tripod.

? (name):) I have come to the same conclusion about the touch screen, do you use the odd shaped stencil or the convenience of your finger tip?

Much better and friendlier to fill in a few details about yourself especially your name......mine is Mal......not Jeremy as I am often called:D

? (name):) I have come to the same conclusion about the touch screen, do you use the odd shaped stencil or the convenience of your finger tip?

Much better and friendlier to fill in a few details about yourself especially your name......mine is Mal......not Jeremy as I am often called:D

I just use my finger tbh. Didn't even realise it had a stylus.

However, one of the main reasons I don't use the touch screen much is I don't want mucky fingerprints all over it!

....Excited or alarmed ?:D

Bit of both. Wasn't sure which to go for. I did want the GF3, but thought the GF2 may be a better bargain? In the end the sexy body did it! Not sure that's a good criteria to use when buying a camera! Plus it had the 14mm.

So you got the GF3 with 14mm pancake for £258? Did they do a twin lens kit?

What about the GF2?

Last edited:
They (Derby) only had the 2 kits in. The GF2 with 14-42 and the GF3 with 14mm. There were quite a few left of each, if anyone else is interested.
I went for the GF3 kit.

Just got back in, and batteryis now on charge. Now to find a spare SD card!!

For £258? Definitely the pancake lens?

If they had the GF2 with the 14mm which would you of had?

Yep, definitely the 14mm pancake lens.

I've always wanted a GF3, but as said above, think that the GF2 may be a better bargain? I just like the look of it, and, rightly or wrongly, think that because it's newer technology, it must be a bit better!! I also have a full dslr setup, with several lenses, so this is an additional camera for me. This will be your main camera, so it's best to go with what you feel comfortable with, as someone else said earlier.

Thanks.

But surely the GF3 deal is better with the pancake lens.

It will be my only camera. Unless I can get the GF2 with pancake for a decent price I think I'll have the GF3.

It was £258?

yep, well £257.99 to be precise :D

IMG_20120101_142136-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back