Panasonic GH1 vs G2 - still IQ quality advice needed

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I recently moved back from a big DSLR outfit to a Panasonic MFT kit with a G2 and a GF1

I've never really done much video but used the G2 and my 14-140 to film the firework display at my brother in law's birthday party. I was amazed by the ease of use and quality but it has set me thinking I would have been better buying a used GH1 for its video capability as this is something I'd like to do more of.

Has anyone tried both the GH1 and G2 and is there any/much difference in image quality for stills? I am looking to hack the GH1 for optimal video quality but don't really want to go down this route if the newer G2 is better for still photography.

I've not used either the GH1 or G2 - but if you can get an older GH1 you can hack the firmware, and the video quality is then absolutely stunning. I have done it on my GF1 and he results are very good indeed.

The main draw of the G2 is the touch screen isn't it? I think the GH1 has a better sensor? Could be wrong though.

Thanks Graham

I considered hacking the GF1 too, I assume you used ptools? If so what settings did you use and what is the quality like compared to the standard firmware?

Yeah I used the ptools - I used some settings I got off dvxuser - need to try some more out but the quality seems a lot better. I don't really have any comparison videos but there are plenty online.

Another big advantage with the GF1 though is it gives you full manual control over video.

One of the features I like about the GH1 for stills use is the multi-aspect ratio sensor which means you can natively take shots in 4:3, 3:2 or 16:9, I particularly like the latter with the 7mm lens. It also means with video you don't crop the focal length unlike the G2 with its conventional 4:3 sensor.

The main issue with the GH1 image quality is complaints about banding in high ISO which some people prefer the G2 for although it's not something that's bothered me.

John

Thanks guys - these comments are very helpful

I've taken the plunge and ordered a GH1, I was tempted to wait for the GH2 but that will be considerably more expensive and the GH1 will be fine for my needs.

I'll have a couple of weeks to try it alongside the G2 but I already suspect I'll be hitting the sale threads soon with a mint condition, nearly new G2 :(

It's a good time to buy a GH1 so I'd say it's worth a shot, I've had a GH1 since launch but similarly I don't think the GH2 is worth forking out for particularly with the new battery.

John

GH2 is priced at £899 on the Panasonic wesbite, but then it comes with a 14-42mm lens so the GH2 body would effectively be £750

GH1 + 14-140mm now down to £699 at Jacobs or £729 less 6% quidco cashback from Jessops. As John said, probably a good time to buy.

GH2 is priced at £899 on the Panasonic wesbite, but then it comes with a 14-42mm lens so the GH2 body would effectively be £750

Some shops have it cheaper at only £650 body only although I don't know if that's an official body only pack or if they're splitting the lens to sell separately. That's almost the price of a GH1 with the 14-140mm lens which is a lot of money indeed.

The gadget lust part of me wants to go for the GH2 and reviews may back it up but will at least try and resist it until springtime when the light is generally better as the GH1 isn't getting much use right now as it struggles for light.

John

Some shops have it cheaper at only £650 body only although I don't know if that's an official body only pack or if they're splitting the lens to sell separately. That's almost the price of a GH1 with the 14-140mm lens which is a lot of money indeed.

The gadget lust part of me wants to go for the GH2 and reviews may back it up but will at least try and resist it until springtime when the light is generally better as the GH1 isn't getting much use right now as it struggles for light.

John

650 for a GH2? I very much doubt. panasonic dont do body only except for GF1.

GH1 with 14-140mm at 650 is great buy anyday even with GH2 on the market, the lens alone is worth £500.

650 for a GH2? I very much doubt. panasonic dont do body only except for GF1.

GH1 with 14-140mm at 650 is great buy anyday even with GH2 on the market, the lens alone is worth £500.

That's the price Mathers have put up and there's little reason to doubt it as they're usually the first and most reliable company for Panasonic equipment.

John

Back