Beginner Panasonic GX80 tips & settings

Edit My Images
Yes
I have just purchased my first camera (GX80) and so far it's been OK !! have been watching youtube videos on setting up and tutorials but haven't found help on some basic settings.

using the kit lens (12-32) and would be great to get some tips here on the following:

1. how to take photos with higher resolution? photos look good but when seen on a TV or Pc the quality is not so great and when zoomed in they look terrible.

2. How to take bokeh photos. I have tried various settings and can only manage this when very close to the subject and doesn't work on portraits or street photography.

Thanks a lot !

how to take photos with higher resolution? photos look good but when seen on a TV or Pc the quality is not so great and when zoomed in they look terrible.
What resolution is the camera set to? The resolution setting is in the menus, [Rec] [Picture size], page 55 of your user manual. You might also want to check [Rec] [Quality].
How to take bokeh photos. I have tried various settings and can only manage this when very close to the subject and doesn't work on portraits or street photography.
What is a bokeh photo? Do you mean one where the background is blurred? If so, the effect you're after is a shallow depth of field. Depth of field (often abbreviated to DOF) ia affected by many factors, but in general terms to get a shallow DOF you want:
1. Large sensor
2. Wide aperture (small f number)
3. Long focal length
4. Separation between subject and background

Your camera doesn't have a very big sensor - it's bigger than a phone, but smaller than a DSLR - so you need to work on the other aspects. The kit lens is a bit limited - it doesn't have a very wide aperture, and it's not very long - but shoot at the long and with the aperture wide open to give yourself the best chance. And look for separation from the background.

I have just purchased my first camera (GX80) and so far it's been OK !! have been watching youtube videos on setting up and tutorials but haven't found help on some basic settings.

using the kit lens (12-32) and would be great to get some tips here on the following:

1. how to take photos with higher resolution? photos look good but when seen on a TV or Pc the quality is not so great and when zoomed in they look terrible.

2. How to take bokeh photos. I have tried various settings and can only manage this when very close to the subject and doesn't work on portraits or street photography.

Thanks a lot !

I have one of these and I think it's a very nice camera :D

1. Personally I shoot raw and process for best effect and if you're interested in photography I do think that you should consider shooting raw and processing on your pc if you're not already doing that. If you're a happy JPEG shooter maybe make sure that you've selected "Fine" JPEG in the menu.

2. You could try the following...
- Shoot at the widest aperture (the smallest f number) and probably at the longer zoom settings.
- Get closer to the subject.
- If possible move the subject further from the background.

If after some practice you can't get then "bokeh photos" effect you want you could consider getting another lens, something like a 25 or 45mm f1.7 or f1.8. You can find these at reasonable prices on the used market.

Hope that helps.

Agree with the others, for maximum bokeh on that camera setup you'll want to shoot at 32mm at maximum apeture (f5.6 on that lens I believe), put the subject at minimum focus distance and place it as far away as possible from the background.

I can 2nd the 45mm f1.8, very nice bokeh but a little restrictive due to it's long focal length.

Thanks !

What resolution is the camera set to? The resolution setting is in the menus, [Rec] [Picture size], page 55 of your user manual. You might also want to check [Rec] [Quality].
im using AVCHD 1920x1080,50
pic size L

What is a bokeh photo? Do you mean one where the background is blurred? If so, the effect you're after is a shallow depth of field. Depth of field (often abbreviated to DOF) ia affected by many factors, but in general terms to get a shallow DOF you want:
1. Large sensor
2. Wide aperture (small f number)
3. Long focal length
4. Separation between subject and background

Your camera doesn't have a very big sensor - it's bigger than a phone, but smaller than a DSLR - so you need to work on the other aspects. The kit lens is a bit limited - it doesn't have a very wide aperture, and it's not very long - but shoot at the long and with the aperture wide open to give yourself the best chance. And look for separation from the background.

Will try this tip thanks !

Back