Panasonic GX80

You would not need exposure comp In manual, as you would simply adjust shutter speed to taste.

PS

Otherwise, you would be over riding your own setting.

Sometimes it may be an advantage to keep the shutter speed and aperture you want and adjust the exposure by varying the ISO. For example when shooting in low light you may not want to shoot with a wide open aperture which is what the camera would probably select in shutter priority and you may not want to shoot at a low shutter speed which the camera would probably choose when shooting in aperture priority. The answer is to switch to manual mode and select you appropriate aperture and shutter settings and let the ISO float up and down but with the ability to dial in compensation as you see fit for changing lighting conditions or to ettr.

I find this a big advantage but I've never been able to do this on any Panasonic before the GX9. I don't know which SLR style bodies allow this but certainly my G7 didn't and neither did my GX1, G1, GX7 or GX80.

If you see a need for this feature you can come to love it.

GX80: No Exp Comp dial? but is this done easily and quickly on touch screen, maybe?

are we talking ... in-camera post!?

Hmmm .... :thinking:

The GXx range have two little wheels, one at the front and one at the back which you can use to adjust the aperture and shutter but if you press the back one you can get exposure compensation. In some ways it's maybe not quite as convenient as having a dedicated exposure compensation dial but in another way it's maybe better as you can adjust all three things, aperture, shutter and exposure without shifting your grip or moving your fingers.

My GX9 has a dedicated exposure compensation dial but to be honest I find it too stiff to use with the camera to my eye and I prefer to use the back wheel the same as I do with my GX80.

With the GX80 you don't get exposure compensation in manual mode but you can still adjust the exposure post capture on the pc (I don't know if you can adjust raws in camera as I've never done that) and I find that the higher ISO performance of these cameras is so good that they can very often take a bit of a push post capture. The only time I think they really struggle is under some artificial lighting but some lighting can be difficult for even the best larger sensor cameras too.

Last edited:
Sometimes it may be an advantage to keep the shutter speed and aperture you want and adjust the exposure by varying the ISO. For example when shooting in low light you may not want to shoot with a wide open aperture which is what the camera would probably select in shutter priority and you may not want to shoot at a low shutter speed which the camera would probably choose when shooting in aperture priority. The answer is to switch to manual mode and select you appropriate aperture and shutter settings and let the ISO float up and down but with the ability to dial in compensation as you see fit for changing lighting conditions or to ettr.

I find this a big advantage but I've never been able to do this on any Panasonic before the GX9. I don't know which SLR style bodies allow this but certainly my G7 didn't and neither did my GX1, G1, GX7 or GX80.

If you see a need for this feature you can come to love it.
It is just sometimes exposure comp is mentioned, when in full manual. I don't see the point, as shutter speed is set at the beginning. On my Canon G7X when in full manual, exposure Comp is greyed out and is not accessible as it is not needed. When in full manual, if I wanted a lighter or darker exposure, I would simply alter shutter or aperture.

PS

If Exposure Comp was accessible while in full manual, all it would be doing, would be to change shutter or aperture, to what it should have been set to at the beginning. As I mentioned before, a bit like over riding the photographer's choice, and not simply changing it.

Last edited:
It is just sometimes exposure comp is mentioned, when in full manual. I don't see the point, as shutter speed is set at the beginning. On my Canon G7X when in full manual, exposure Comp is greyed out and is not accessible as it is not needed. When in full manual, if I wanted a lighter or darker exposure, I would simply alter shutter or aperture.

Well if you don't see the point you don't see it... but for me it's an advantage because I can set the aperture and shutter I want and vary the exposure by adjusting the ISO via exposure compensation.

Yes, you can vary the brightness of the scene by adjusting the shutter speed but that may be a less good option. For example if I'm shooting people in lower and probably changing light. In that situation if I switch to aperture I may end up with f4 which I want and 1/60 which may be utterly useless as I'll have motion blur as the people move and if I switch to shutter priority I'll get a people friendly 1/200-250 which I want but probably with an aperture of f1.8 which may be useless as I'll have too little DoF. The answer is to switch to manual and dial in f4 for the DoF I want and 1/200 to freeze movement but I may need to alter the exposure whilst retaining these settings.

In a situation where DoF and shutter speed are important and where I need to be able to alter the exposure quickly to react to changing lighting whilst retaining my settings exposure compensation in manual mode is the answer for me.

I personally think it's a great feature and all I use now is aperture until the light level drops to the point at which my shutter speed is unacceptable and then I switch to manual, dial in the settings I want and adjust the exposure with compensation. Wonderful :D

Last edited:
Just thinking, when exposure comp is available in full manual, what is affected? Shutter, aperture , ISO, or can it be set to either?

Last edited:
By dialing in compensation in manual you change the ISO. Your aperture and shutter remain unchanged, until you change them.

Well if you don't see the point you don't see it... but for me it's an advantage because I can set the aperture and shutter I want and vary the exposure by adjusting the ISO via exposure compensation.

Yes, you can vary the brightness of the scene by adjusting the shutter speed but that may be a less good option. For example if I'm shooting people in lower and probably changing light. In that situation if I switch to aperture I may end up with f4 which I want and 1/60 which may be utterly useless as I'll have motion blur as the people move and if I switch to shutter priority I'll get a people friendly 1/200-250 which I want but probably with an aperture of f1.8 which may be useless as I'll have too little DoF. The answer is to switch to manual and dial in f4 for the DoF I want and 1/200 to freeze movement but I may need to alter the exposure whilst retaining these settings.

In a situation where DoF and shutter speed are important and where I need to be able to alter the exposure quickly to react to changing lighting whilst retaining my settings exposure compensation in manual mode is the answer for me.

I personally think it's a great feature and all I use now is aperture until the light level drops to the point at which my shutter speed is unacceptable and then I switch to manual, dial in the settings I want and adjust the exposure with compensation. Wonderful :D
Well how about auto ISO, when in full manual? :rolleyes:

With pop up flash, power output changes when Exposure Comp is chosen. Anyway, exposure comp is greyed out on my G7X, when in full manual.
Anyway, off to do more testing. :)

Well how about auto ISO, when in full manual? :rolleyes:

Auto ISO works in manual with some cameras but even if you have it all it will give you is what the camera thinks is the right value for the aperture and shutter you've set. With auto ISO and exposure compensation in manual exposure mode you can let the camera select the ISO for the aperture and shutter settings you've set and then easily override it. Some people really like this ability. I didn't have it until I bought a Sony and then I really wanted it with my Panasonic cameras. The GX80 is nearly there as you can have auto ISO in manual but the GX9 goes the extra step and allows auto ISO and exposure compensation.

I don't tend to use manual exposure in good light unless there's a specific reason but in lower light I find that manual mode with auto ISO and exposure compensation works well for me. With my GX80 I'd just use manual with auto ISO and alter the exposure post capture on my pc which is maybe not ideal but may get me a useable end product.

I never trust cameras to expose to my taste so I shoot M mostly. But that is partly because it's how I learned to begin with, and also I've only ever used manual flash units until recently. It's whatever you're most comfortable with really. I find Panasonic cameras tend to over expose needlessly in P,A,S modes. Even when you dial the exp comp back a little.

I never trust cameras to expose to my taste so I shoot M mostly. But that is partly because it's how I learned to begin with, and also I've only ever used manual flash units until recently. It's whatever you're most comfortable with really. I find Panasonic cameras tend to over expose needlessly in P,A,S modes. Even when you dial the exp comp back a little.
Same here, I usually add a touch of exposure comp. Can always lift things a little in RAW.

So went a bit mad today ... tube up to Oxford Street, into John Lewis camera department, imbeciles, went to Jessops, nice lady Lumix rep sold me a GX80 kit, a 45-200mm lens, gave me a 16GB SanDisk Extreme free (RRP £35). I bought one of THESE for £10.

Battery is currently on charge, I hope to take some basic shots tomorrow and post them on here. It's going to be a while before I get to know all the functions but I'm looking forward to learning. :D

So went a bit mad today ... tube up to Oxford Street, into John Lewis camera department, imbeciles, went to Jessops, nice lady Lumix rep sold me a GX80 kit, a 45-200mm lens, gave me a 16GB SanDisk Extreme free (RRP £35). I bought one of THESE for £10.

Battery is currently on charge, I hope to take some basic shots tomorrow and post them on here. It's going to be a while before I get to know all the functions but I'm looking forward to learning. :D

Nice, enjoy. Let us know how you get on with the 45-200, some say it's a bit soft on the longer end, but I've never seen the images to back this up.

Christmas came early for someone,enjoy :D

Great stuff...

I feel like going out now, to make a camera related purchase. :D

Get a spare battery a bit pronto, they don't last long
You can charge it via a power bank, but can't use it attached

Get a spare battery a bit pronto, they don't last long
You can charge it via a power bank, but can't use it attached

Is it that bad? The G80 can go all day on the one batt, though I do always have a spare on hand JIC

Is it that bad? The G80 can go all day on the one batt, though I do always have a spare on hand JIC

I think so, smaller battery than yours and think Panasonic rate it at about 260 shots

Merry Christmas everybody ... :D

Thanks, yeah, I think I'll get a spare battery .... where's the best place for that nowadays?

I'm sure the 45-200 serves a purpose @ £359 seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll get something with more oomph someday soon.

Thanks, yeah, I think I'll get a spare battery .... where's the best place for that nowadays?

I'm sure the 45-200 serves a purpose @ £359 seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll get something with more oomph someday soon.

I'm sure it's fine, just there are cheaper alternatives like the 45-150, which is supposedly sharper at 150.

Nice, enjoy. Let us know how you get on with the 45-200, some say it's a bit soft on the longer end, but I've never seen the images to back this up.

I had one and I really struggled to get a sharp picture at the longer end no matter what the shutter speed or aperture setting, I tried them all. At the shorter end it's sharp though. I sold mine and now have the 45-150mm which I have no problem with.

I've read reports of the 45-200mm being soft but I don't know if they're all like that or if there's some copy variation. Lets hope the op has a good one.

Last edited:

I bought mine off evil bay. I recently bought a charger off there that'll take two batteries. I usually take the spare when I go out but very rarely need it.

I had one and I really struggled to get a sharp picture at the longer end no matter what the shutter speed or aperture setting, I tried them all. At the shorter end it's sharp though. I sold mine and now have the 45-150mm which I have no problem with.

I've read reports of the 45-200mm being soft but I don't know if they're all like that or if there's some copy variation. Lets hope the op has a good one.

Coincidentally I've just put a wanted ad in classified for a 45-150. I know it's a cheap lens, but I'm only so-so about it, want to try it for macro with my Raynox as I've seen some great results about with that combination. I have yet to read anything bad said about this lens, seems to be a little gem for the money. If OP bought the mkII of the 45-200 he might be just fine, one thing it does have over the 45-150 and 45-175 is weather sealing.

Ah, I didn't know they'd done a MK2. That might be fine :D

The original dates back to the very early days. I remember Luminous Landscape did a review of the G1 and included that lens and the 14-45mm.

Ah, I didn't know they'd done a MK2. That might be fine :D

The original dates back to the very early days. I remember Luminous Landscape did a review of the G1 and included that lens and the 14-45mm.

I don't know if the mkII is optically any better, but it is indeed WR. It's a lens I have been very curious about for a while now, I want it to be good because if so it is great value. I'd love to know if it's as good as the 45-150 at 150mm, if so, then it's a steal as that lens is very good by all accounts. A slight degradaion in IQ beyond 150mm wouldn't be a terrible thing, so long as it's still acceptably sharp. But everywhere I look people are moaning it's not great. I'm on the hunt for a cheap tele right now, if I thought this 45-200 mkII was as good as the cheaper alt at 150 I might bite. I like the WR, and it also works with dual IS, another bonus. Though if I'm not mistaken the 45-150 received an update for it to also work with Dual IS?

Last edited:
Thanks guy. (y)

I haven't had much camera time today, but I do think the 45-200 lens may have been a mistake! I'm going to think about it some more and do some tests tomorrow, and possibly take it back on Tuesday. I don't know if they are obliged to swap it (?) I'd love some advice on alternatives.

Something ... smallish, not too heavy and I'm thinking 150 or even 100 (300 or 200 equiv.) at the long end. f numbers, well that's a different story. ;)

Thanks guy. (y)

I haven't had much camera time today, but I do think the 45-200 lens may have been a mistake! I'm going to think about it some more and do some tests tomorrow, and possibly take it back on Tuesday. I don't know if they are obliged to swap it (?) I'd love some advice on alternatives.

Something ... smallish, not too heavy and I'm thinking 150 or even 100 (300 or 200 equiv.) at the long end. f numbers, well that's a different story. ;)

If you can exchange it, I suggest the 45-175, it's got internal zoom so doesn't extend, it's got power zoom via a switch on the side which would be great for video and from what I've seen/heard on it, it's plenty sharp at 175, you're only losing 25mm.

If you can exchange it, I suggest the 45-175, it's got internal zoom so doesn't extend, it's got power zoom via a switch on the side which would be great for video and from what I've seen/heard on it, it's plenty sharp at 175, you're only losing 25mm.

Been googling, trying to make sense of this, and it seems some don't like the 45-175 because of the 'power zoom', good for video but not everyone does video.

(although there's the GX80 4K Photo mode for extracting 8MP stills from 30fps 4K footage .... something I'm keen to check out).

So, I'm now considering the 45-150mm. It's small & light, better than the 45-200 in that respect for around town. It's cheap but does that mean cheap 'n nasty? o_O

If jessops do a swap I'll get a prime at the same time so I'll end up owing them money, rather than them having to reimburse me.

Last edited:
Been googling, trying to make sense of this, and it seems some don't like the 45-175 because of the 'power zoom', good for video but not everyone does video.

(although there's the GX80 4K Photo mode for extracting 8MP stills from 30fps 4K footage .... something I'm keen to check out).

So, I'm now considering the 45-150mm. It's small & light, better than the 45-200 in that respect for around town. It's cheap but does that mean cheap 'n nasty? o_O

If jessops do a swap I'll get a prime at the same time so I end up owing them money rather than them having to reimburse me.

I'm looking at the 45-150 myself, as it acts as a very good macro lens with either macro rings or a Raynox macro element attached. I had the Olympus version, the 40-150R before and it was a little cracker. Only sold it because I got a 100-300. I just want something to bridge the gap between my 12-40 and the 200mm vintage lens I have, and the 45-150 is perfect. Cheap doesn't mean bad in this case, it's a well loved lens, especially for the price, nothing to complain about. So long as 150mm is long enough for your needs. With the 45-175 I believe it is reviewers who moaned about it, but actual users have high praise for it. Of course, it's double the price just for that extra 25mm so many think it's not worth it

I had the 45-200mm and now have the 45-150mm which I think is fine throughout it's zoom range and from any aperture. I tend to use my MFT variable aperture zoom lenses wide open and this 45-150mm doesn't disappoint me when used like that. I don't file pictures by gear type but I do stick a few pictures in my "test" folder so here's one of the first test shots I took with my 45-150mm, here on my GX7,150mm, f5.6, 1/2,000, ISO 200. Just a pigeon on next doors roof. Note that these may suffer with the posting process but they look nice enough on my screen.

pYxa3bl.jpg

100% crop from that.

5pJ9UmN.jpg

And another one from my test folder. Sorry to those who've seen this before or many times before :D

This was taken with my GX80 and 45-150mm at 150mm, f5.6, 1/500 and ISO 16,000 (to freeze him.)

Last edited:
I had the 45-200mm and now have the 45-150mm which I think is fine throughout it's zoom range and from any aperture. I tend to use my MFT variable aperture zoom lenses wide open and this 45-150mm doesn't disappoint me when used like that. I don't fine pictures by gear type but I do stick a few pictures in my "test" folder so here's one of the first test shots I took with my 45-150mm, here on my GX7,150mm, f5.6, 1/2,000, ISO 200. Just a pigeon on next doors roof. Note that these may suffer with the posting process but they look nice enough on my screen.

pYxa3bl.jpg

100% crop from that.

5pJ9UmN.jpg

Should be plenty good enough for my needs. Just bought one on a local advert site so hopefully have it in a few days. It'll be used for similar to your images, shots of the birds in the garden, but also for casual wildlife along the river bank, which I've not been to in a while - part of the reason for me looking for these mid-tele lenses was to get my @rse back down to places like that, and not be wanting for a little extra reach. Been eyeing some 300mm vintages too, that will do the job for the very odd shot I take at that FL. The 45-150 will also double as another macro option for me. I've seen some stunning results around the inter-webs making use of it for that purpose with either rings or add-ons.

As you will find out it's quite useful for stuff like flower shots and the like, even without tubes or add on lenses. I think you'll be happy with it.

45-150 that'll do me! shorter, slimmer & lighter than the 45-200. On the GX80, gonna be good for around town on a wrist strap, discrete, one step up from a pocket job.

Jessops do returns within 14 days, their website say so. ;)

I've never seen it in silver either, looks kinda cool, though I would never buy it, maybe if I used a silver OMD 10 or em5
666-panasonic-lumix-45-150mm-zoom-lens-1_1342511611.jpg

All my MFT Olympus primes are silver.

I think they look a lot better on Olympus cameras in silver, and not so bad on the smaller bodies like the GX8, but they can be fugly on the G80 or GH5, they're not the prettiest cameras to begin with. I always opt for black, but of course it is only a cosmetic preference.

Back