Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking of taking the plunge on one of these.
I have an Olympus EM5 MK2 with the Olympus 17mm and I love it but have hankered after the pana leica 15mm for ages.
I know its focal length is similar but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

any thoughts?

I have the 15mm and been thinking about giving the 17mm a go.
It's a great lens in every respect, but sometimes find it a bit close to the Olympus 12mm I also use.

No complaints with colour, contrast or sharpness and can't imagine you would be disappointed if you get one.
Maybe a bit overpriced for what it is, same could be said though for the aforementioned 12mm.

@tijuana taxi yeah I have no issues about the lens performance to be fair I only have the 17mm for my EM5 I just settled on it a few years ago and I am just wondering about moving to the 15mm

@tijuana taxi yeah I have no issues about the lens performance to be fair I only have the 17mm for my EM5 I just settled on it a few years ago and I am just wondering about moving to the 15mm

I meant I have no complaints with the 15mm, might try a 17mm, but wrong time of year for curiosity purchases

I meant I have no complaints with the 15mm, might try a 17mm, but wrong time of year for curiosity purchases

I tend to use my 17mm a lot for night shots on holiday and wide open can be soft at the edges the leica one is supposed to be a bit crispier

Seems like a good swap over right there lads :D

I had the PL 15mm, lovely little lens, as sharp as you'll get for M43. I tried to make it work as my only short lens for a while but discovered I don't actually shoot wide much at all. I know it sounds odd, but I also found it 'too small' for my liking, on the G80 at least. I like something to grip onto, something better balanced - I think it's much better suited to the smaller RF style bodies like the GX7/8. I traded it in for a 12-40 2.8 for better flexibility, have no regrets, though I do miss the extra light indoors at times.

I tend to use my 17mm a lot for night shots on holiday and wide open can be soft at the edges the leica one is supposed to be a bit crispier

Seems good wide open, not quite as good as the 25mm f/1.4 though, but that would be hard to beat.
One thing to mention, the aperture ring won't work on an Olympus camera so adjust aperture in the usual way

haha not looking at selling the 17mm just yet just fancy the 15mm seeing as I only use one lens, hummmmmm
I have an EM5 Mk2 and the 17mm just fits it superbly.

I forgot about the aperture ring not compatible with Olympus, but I can say I just left it in A most of the time and changed aperture on cam anyway. The aperture ring on mine was very free, just tip off of it and it would change, pity they didn't put a lock on it.

Good lens.
I got mine off a bloke on this forum.
As Cagey said the aperture ring (for Panasonic bodies) is too free, but the lens has a good feel, looks good, very nice size, is sharp and a nice focal length.
As for Mr.Bump : I assume you already have a 45mm and just fancy the pants off this 15 ... otherwise get a 45.

Good lens.
I got mine off a bloke on this forum.
As Cagey said the aperture ring (for Panasonic bodies) is too free, but the lens has a good feel, looks good, very nice size, is sharp and a nice focal length.
As for Mr.Bump : I assume you already have a 45mm and just fancy the pants off this 15 ... otherwise get a 45.

NOPE I ACTUALLY ONLY HAVE ONE LENS FOR MY em5 mK2 THE 17MM

NOPE I ACTUALLY ONLY HAVE ONE LENS FOR MY em5 mK2 THE 17MM

Stop shouting! :D If you only own the 17mm, then I would not get the 15, I'd get the 45 as Ulfric suggests, ar at least something that isn't so close to what you already got.

The little Oly 40-150 is actually one of the better banf-for-buck lenses you can get, ever! So yes, if you just want to have a casual bit of zoom in the bag, it's a no-brainer

I too have the 17mm f1.8 and have thought about getting the 15mm but TBH it's just out of curiosity and the things that have stopped me (apart from the thought that I might just be spending money for no good reason...) are that the 17mm f1.8 is small and light and beautifully made with that lovely switch to manual focus with end stops and markings! :D I wish all MFT were made like it.

I also have the 45mm f1.8 and I agree that it's a nice lens but not one I've used much and if I was going to add a lens to a MFT body and 17mm f1.8 setup it would be either the 12-35mm f2.8 (which is excellent) or the also excellent 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 mega OIS. There are lots of these kit zooms and I'm not sure how to tell them apart but I'm talking about the one that's really small, about the size of a prime lens really. I like it because it's so compact and light and yet useable from wide open which is how I use it.

I think that a fast prime and a standard range zoom would be enough to keep me (mostly) happy :D

Or alternatively live without the standard range zoom and go for a prime and the 45-150mm.

It was a toss up for me between the Pany 12-35 2.8 and the Olympus 12-40. I went with the latter because it's sharper, has better close focus ability and that manual focus clutch mechanism is just so beautiful! Not a concern for everyone maybe, but I love the ability to switch between, you really appreciate it if you like your close up images where MF is king. It's also built so well, it kills the Pany in that regard.

I would honestly recommend to anyone with the Oly 17mm, to highly consider the PL 15 - it is sharper by all accounts, it's just as tidy, maybe more so! and you get that extra width.

Be funny if that was my old one :D Though I imagine that's long gone now, probably the best copy of it they had. Actually like new, not a spec of dust, had the hood and even the 'beauty ring' thing for the filter threads for when you're not using the hood. Many of them I've seen them sell were missing that, some missing the hood even. I have no idea how anyone loses a lens hood :thinking:

I already got.my oly em5 mk2 that's me happy

I already got.my oly em5 mk2 that's me happy

Yeah it'll be nice and tidy on there too. Like I said earlier, I barely even used the aperture ring, just adjusted on cam, and you'll be using it wide open mostly probs, it's plenty sharp enough to do so

Back