Panasonic LUMIX GM1, anyone using one?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been tasked to find an ultra small CSC, the GM1 with 12-32 lens definitely looks the part and is available at a very good price at present.

Has anyone used one who has an opinion to share? How does it compare to other m4/3rds? What's the low light performance like?

Also, how does the 12-32 compare to the older Panny/Oly kit lenses?

Last edited:
The 12-32mm is the best standard kit lens for m4/3. I sold the equally praised 14-42 mk11 for it and they're both very sharp, fast focusing and quiet. The reason I rate it higher is simply down to the size. The only negative being there's no manual focus ring, so you have to use the touch screen to manual focus, but some other older M43 bodies won't allow this feature.

I recently took the GM1 out with my G6, I found the GM1 files easier to work with in Lightroom. The GM1 keeps the noise down when pushing shadows in Lightroom, but more importantly to me they don't affect the colour. With the older 16mp sensor in the G6, if I pushed the shadows up I would find a nasty green tint. The new Sony 16mp sensor in the GM1 doesn't show this at all. I would say there's a stop difference in pulling highlights as well. I never felt negatively about my G6 until I started using the GM1. The single point autofocus is slightly slower than my G6, oddly the continuous focus and lowlight focusing is better on the GM1. The low light performance appears to be slightly better, a much finer grain as oppose to the blotchy look on the older sensors. In the end, I'd say Panasonic have came very close to the nicer files from the Olympus' (E-PM2/E-PL5/E-M1/5/10/etc)

Like yourself, I was tempted with the price drop. I decided to go for it as I sold the kit lens for £130 on eBay (as I already had a 12-32mm) and if I didn't like the body, I wouldn't have lost much selling it on eBay. Over all I'm very impressed, the sensor is quite an upgrade from the older sensors, the size is fantastic - I'm glad to just have a camera I can take everywhere with me.

It's a tempting proposition, especially as you say, the lens is worth half the selling price, it makes a cheap body with the latest tech. I need to try and see a body in person, but it seems the only B&M who carry it in my area are Jessops (not an easy place to visit being right in the middle of a gian shopping centre).

I know it's a cliche when it comes to buying cameras, but this camera really has to be seen before a purchase. I'm completely fine with small cameras as I have smaller hands, but once I got home from Jessops I was a little taken a back at the size - It's noticeably smaller than any point and shoot i've ever owned. Last day I used the GM1 as a rear cap for my P20mm 1.7 lens and it added no real space or weight to my bag. I can imagine if you like grippier cameras, the GM1 may be frustrating to use.

It's a tempting proposition, especially as you say, the lens is worth half the selling price, it makes a cheap body with the latest tech. I need to try and see a body in person, but it seems the only B&M who carry it in my area are Jessops (not an easy place to visit being right in the middle of a gian shopping centre).

have you tried your local Currys? ours have them yellow stickered so might be worth a check if you have one close by.. they are tiddly small.

have you tried your local Currys? ours have them yellow stickered so might be worth a check if you have one close by.. they are tiddly small.

Oh, thanks, I had checked their website and not seeing them listed didn't think they had stocked it. Will have a look on my home this afternoon.

How good is the 12-32mm lens compared to say the fixed lens with the RX100 or Fuji X30? I am looking for a small setup for family time and am tempted by the GM1 or GM5 but wouldn't look to invest heavily in more lenses as already have Nikon kit. The Fuji X30 is similar money but obviously a smaller sensor but a great JPEG engine.

How good is the video mode? The lens has no manual focus so would have to rely on auto focus?

I'm also curious how this compares to the RX100 as I'm looking for a small camera to carry around when my arms are oocupied with all the things small kids seem to need with them. Size wise with a pancake it doesn't look like there is too much in it

I'm also curious how this compares to the RX100 as I'm looking for a small camera to carry around when my arms are oocupied with all the things small kids seem to need with them. Size wise with a pancake it doesn't look like there is too much in it

I am in the same position. I enjoy using the DSLR but when need to go out with the family it is the last thing on my mind! I just hate the phone camera and wanted a small set-up that betters my current Fuji XF1. The GM1 and GM5 have caught my eye in recent days over my initial want for a RX100/G7X/X30.

My current biggest issue with a lot of them is the video performance. I quickly want to capture snippets to piece mini trailers and the auto focus just sucks. I manually focus with my Nikon gear but you don't always have the luxury with the family to get spontaneous clips.

Last edited:
I've had the GM1 before and it is an excellent camera with touchscreen capability and is tiny in your pocket with a micro 4/3 sensor and electonic shutter. I did sell it and purchased a RX100 MK2 as I have a Fuji system and did not want to end up running 2 systems as I would have probably ended up buying more lenses for the GM1.

Bad points are in bright sunlight its difficult to see, no image stabilisation in the body. The RX100 suits me better as it has a wider lens and in bright sunshine I can tilt the screen but for anyone staring out into micro 4/3 I would recommend it.

Andy

The RX100 suits me better as it has a wider lens and in bright sunshine I can tilt the screen but for anyone staring out into micro 4/3 I would recommend it.

Andy

I considered the RX100 but I thought it was a 28mm equivalent at the wide end? The GM1 is 24mm equivalent with the kit lens.

As another alternative, does anyone have any direct experience between the GM1 and the Sony a5000?

Specifically image quality and dynamic range.

Sorry didn't mean wider meant longer zoom!!!

(y)

I looked at a GM1 and GM5 but eventually went for a LX100. Nice, but to be honest I find this whole 'old style button' thing a bit annoying. Give me a bog standard PASM dial anyday

Only problem there is the LX100 appears to be double the price of the competition, so doesn't really factor into the comparison.

London Camera Exchange ( who I have found to be excellent) have a used GM1 & 12-32 lens For £249.99.
My experience suggests if you mention Jessops doing it new for £249.00 they will do you a 'deal'
Will the saving be worth buying it used ? Well you have to ask to find out.

Really liked the gm1 I had. But in the end i found I much preferred the em5 due to the evf, ibis and tilt screen so bought a second em5 instead.

I ordered the silver kit from Jessops, I was considering the lens for my GX7 and at the price, I failed to resist. Looking for to a truly pocketable M43.

Back