Panasonic LX10, TZ110 or other?

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

A friend is asking advice on his new camera purchase, looking for something small & lightweight in his old age. Budget about £500.

He's already narrowed it down to the LX10, TZ110 (or similar). There's a big difference in reach but what I'm unsure about is aperture ... LX10 says 1.4 - 2.8 whilst the TZ110, with more zoom, comes in at 2.8 - 5.9.

He's rather put off by the latter high f. numbers, but should this make much of a difference with a camera like this? f.1.4 sounds might impressive but should we be? Says he not to concerned about DoF but low light use/performance.

Someone (K Rockwell) once said something like one shouldn't concern themselve too much with f numbers on pocket cameras. I think he used the gimmick word.

Any thoughts or recommendations.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I don't tend to shoot in low light very often so I'd take a longer zoom over a lower f number but it sounds like your chum is the opposite - provided the LX10 covers the focal lengths he needs I'd go for that :)
Thanks for the input Mike. I think he'll end up with the LX10. He was looking at bridge cameras and all sorts but now thinks 100mm (equiv.) or less will cover his needs. :)

The LX100 (never been a LX10) is for street style photography with a short 24-75 lens.

I've just bought a TZ100EB for holidays etc and the 25-250 zoom on that doesn't go as far as the TZ200 24-360 hence the lower f numbers.

I paid £290 refurbished for mine a week ago.

Last edited:
Update to this.

I've just been out with the camera and the screen has gone. A little bit of pressure in my pocket has wrecked it. This is the second time now that a Lumix screen has gone. Exactly the same thing happened to my partners TZ60 back in May.

Might have a quality issue here so be warned. Anyone else had the same?

So far no screen issues. I keep my TZ100 in a little padded case that my old Jessops 35mm compact came it, it fits like a glove and gives the camera a bit of protection.

I'm not one for cases. Don't want to have to fiddle unzipping a case then missing the moment.

We've had countless items with screens, both film and glass, without any problem.

Cameras: 5 Canons, Sony, Fuji
Tablets: Hauwei. ASUS
Phones: 3 Samsungs. Motorola
Laptops: 5 and 2 currently with touchscreen
Satnavs: 2 Garmin. TomTom (along with the pressing they get)

All been faultless.

2 Panasonic Lumix.

Both needed new screens.

As the Techguy said in Currys the other day: They have loads of screen breaks with Pannys. You'd think that Panasonic had realised by now that these things are supposed to be pocketable

Last edited:
How curious. Panasonic wise I've had two LXx's, an LF1, a TZ100, two SLR style MFT cameras and three RF style ones so that's nine in all and not one failure of any kind with any of them.

Back