Panasonic S1, S1R

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Just been playing with the Panasonic S1R with the 50mm F1.4 lens attached. Now....Being in the industry and playing with cameras A LOT! it takes a great deal to really impress me. So after a play i can say that I was seriously impressed with this camera/lens combo. The DOF is amazing and the ability to take long hand held exposures on Full Frame is impressive to say the least.

If you get the opportunity go have a play!

:D

Reading another thread one big worry seems to be how the AF will perform. Having Panasonic MFT cameras I'd expect focus for static subjects to be good if not up the blistering speed of the MFT cameras as there'll be more heavy FF glass to move.

Did you try the focus tracking?

Most of the concerns about AF is regarding video. Why this ever becamse a priority spec on FF pro spec bodies I'll never know, plenty of more dedicated vido-centric cameras out there.

From what i seen, for the stills photographer, it looks the nuts.

One other thing that bugs me is this dual version thing they are all doing now. Why do they need 2 different res versions? why not just one somewhere in between? Kind of p***es me off that after all the years of the 'experts' telling us we don't need a high MP count, they are now hailing these companies for doing a higher res 'pro' version - i.e, just more mp ... There might be a couple more features chucked in to justify the price hike but all I see is higher MP count on say the Z7 or A7RIII, now the S1R - complete rip of what Nikon and Sony already established.

Besides all that, the Pany S bodies do look pretty beastly. When looking up actual reviews as they come along bear the whole vlogger/video side of things in mind though, a lot of what reviewers moan about these days is lack of features for that market, should be completely separate. Most photographers I know never touch the video functions on their cameras and certainly don't need or desire flippy screens. It's the one feature I dislike about my own current camera.

Most of the concerns about AF is regarding video. Why this ever becamse a priority spec on FF pro spec bodies I'll never know, plenty of more dedicated vido-centric cameras out there.

From what i seen, for the stills photographer, it looks the nuts.

One other thing that bugs me is this dual version thing they are all doing now. Why do they need 2 different res versions? why not just one somewhere in between? Kind of p***es me off that after all the years of the 'experts' telling us we don't need a high MP count, they are now hailing these companies for doing a higher res 'pro' version - i.e, just more mp ... There might be a couple more features chucked in to justify the price hike but all I see is higher MP count on say the Z7 or A7RIII, now the S1R - complete rip of what Nikon and Sony already established.

Besides all that, the Pany S bodies do look pretty beastly. When looking up actual reviews as they come along bear the whole vlogger/video side of things in mind though, a lot of what reviewers moan about these days is lack of features for that market, should be completely separate. Most photographers I know never touch the video functions on their cameras and certainly don't need or desire flippy screens. It's the one feature I dislike about my own current camera.

The concern has not really been about video AF (on here anyway), its been about Panasonic not using OSPDAF.

The concern has not really been about video AF (on here anyway), its been about Panasonic not using OSPDAF.

Yeah I meant with 'reviewers' - and I use that term very loosely, half of them don't seem to know wtf they want from a camera anymore. I want it to produce a decent quality file, I'll do the rest.

I had the lend of an S1R yesterday.

It's an impressive piece of kit, the evf is simply outstanding!

If I hadn't recently switched to Sony and invested heavily, I would definitely be considering one of these.

The a.f isn't as good as Sony but in my opinion it's slightly better than the Nikon Z's and the camera itself is old school dslr sized and heavy but ergonomics are superb, I.Q is excellent, and that evf. :oops: :$

Can see these being very popular with those wanting to move to mirrorless from high res dslrs, especially with professionals who won't consider the other options from Nikon and Canon that only have one card slot. Some may prefer the larger dslr type size.

Last edited:
1. Did the EVF feel significantly better than the competition?

2. Have you tested the high res mode (180MP?) and what was it like?

AF will probably evolve further in mk2...

The evf is much better than anything else I have used, don’t think anything else currently available can compete with it.

Didn’t try the high res mode.

I have been looking at the s1, but for me a lightly used d810 body seems much better value at half the price, not to mention the lens options are far cheaper.

I have been looking at the s1, but for me a lightly used d810 body seems much better value at half the price, not to mention the lens options are far cheaper.

Yes a D810 will be cheaper if you want a dslr. Personally I could never go back to having to do without an evf and tuning lenses to get accurate focus.

A Sony A7RIII might be worth a look too if you want a high res body.

If Panasonic do one thing right they do excellent EVF. The G9 had the best evf on the market before they introduced the S series, if the evf is better than the G9's then it will be stunning.

If Panasonic do one thing right they do excellent EVF. The G9 had the best evf on the market before they introduced the S series, if the evf is better than the G9's then it will be stunning.
That's why I won't be buying into the S series. Having sold my FF Canon outfit and completed the move into M43 the G9 is more than good enough for me. I can understand why someone doing posters and such like would go for the S cameras but I just wouldn't want to go back to toting the weight.

I don't get the comments on size, its a FF camera and associated lenses, haven't they always been large and weighty.
My 5D Mkii certainly was, lenses will never be small because of having to cover the larger sensor.
Weight saving from a smaller body is largely insignificant, but mirrorless does have certain advantages over a DSLR.

Looks to be a good camera and like most things, if you have the cash and want one, why not.

I don't get the comments on size, its a FF camera and associated lenses, haven't they always been large and weighty.
My 5D Mkii certainly was, lenses will never be small because of having to cover the larger sensor.
Weight saving from a smaller body is largely insignificant, but mirrorless does have certain advantages over a DSLR.

Looks to be a good camera and like most things, if you have the cash and want one, why not.

I'd always qualify this by saying that it depends on the lenses. If you want to use longer wide aperture lenses than perhaps the body weight savings drop as a percentage of the total weight but when using smaller lighter lenses (like the Sony 35mm f2.8) the weight savings over DSLR's and similar lenses are there to be seen and felt.

I'd always qualify this by saying that it depends on the lenses. If you want to use longer wide aperture lenses than perhaps the body weight savings drop as a percentage of the total weight but when using smaller lighter lenses (like the Sony 35mm f2.8) the weight savings over DSLR's and similar lenses are there to be seen and felt.

I saw a Sony 24-70 recently and compared to my Olympus 12-40 it was huge.
Few ounces saved on the body would have made a negligible difference, but I see your point with a few of the smaller lenses.

Has anyone done an extensive test of the S1R + Canon adaptor VS same lens on native body? Surely there has to be a trade off or two? Be too goodt o be true for Matsus***a if not - bonuses all round.

Back