Panasonic S5II vs Sony A7iv

JJ!

Edit My Images
No
Looking for a good all rounder for portraits, action and videos.

Currently have an A9 with 70-200 2.8 but it’s too heavy and I don’t have any other lenses so not tied in to a brand.

Seen what looks like a good deal on the S5II. 20-60mm, 50mm 1.8 and currently you get a 85mm 1.8 chucked in for £2099.

The Sony is the more expensive and the body alone I think is around the same as the S5 with lenses.

Anyone tried both or anything else around That budget.

Looking for a good all rounder for portraits, action and videos.

Currently have an A9 with 70-200 2.8 but it’s too heavy and I don’t have any other lenses so not tied in to a brand.

Seen what looks like a good deal on the S5II. 20-60mm, 50mm 1.8 and currently you get a 85mm 1.8 chucked in for £2099.

The Sony is the more expensive and the body alone I think is around the same as the S5 with lenses.

Anyone tried both or anything else around That budget.
I'm own a Lumix S5ii and own two of those lenses (and I've shot with the 50mm 1.8 I don't own).

The video functionality for the S5ii is unrivalled at that price point, you'd have to spend a hell of a lot more to get anything close to the depth of professional features and codecs that Panasonic provide.

Their set of affordable 1.8 primes is great too. The 18/24/35/50/85 are all roughly the same weight so they're great for shot consistency and gimbal work and more importantly, very light for a FF set up.

That being said, the IBIS is truly class leading and I only ever use my gimbal for more stylised shots because it's so damn good.

The 85mm 1.8 is one of my favourite lenses.

The A7IV is great too. Had a play around with a friend's. The AF is snappier and the little bump in resolution is nice to have but for me, it wasn't worth the downgrade in video functionality and stabilisation, especially when they're asking me for more money for the privilege. Your use case may vary though and you won't go wrong with either.

Here's a few shots I've taken with the 85mm. They're not gonna look their best on here with them being reduced in resolution for the forum but hopefully you get the idea.

P1022109 (2).jpg
P1044907 (1).jpg
LumixSync_copy_2023-02-23 20_34_37 +0000RawFile (1).jpg
P1024235 (1).jpg
P1019052 (1).jpg
P1044579 (3).jpg

I'm own a Lumix S5ii and own two of those lenses (and I've shot with the 50mm 1.8 I don't own).

The video functionality for the S5ii is unrivalled at that price point, you'd have to spend a hell of a lot more to get anything close to the depth of professional features and codecs that Panasonic provide.

Their set of affordable 1.8 primes is great too. The 18/24/35/50/85 are all roughly the same weight so they're great for shot consistency and gimbal work and more importantly, very light for a FF set up.

That being said, the IBIS is truly class leading and I only ever use my gimbal for more stylised shots because it's so damn good.

The 85mm 1.8 is one of my favourite lenses.

The A7IV is great too. Had a play around with a friend's. The AF is snappier and the little bump in resolution is nice to have but for me, it wasn't worth the downgrade in video functionality and stabilisation, especially when they're asking me for more money for the privilege. Your use case may vary though and you won't go wrong with either.

Here's a few shots I've taken with the 85mm. They're not gonna look their best on here with them being reduced in resolution for the forum but hopefully you get the idea.

View attachment 412719
View attachment 412720
View attachment 412721
View attachment 412722
View attachment 412723
View attachment 412724

Thank you. The A9/70-200 has been great for what I wa using it for, but as I am now trying to attempt some more video and other bits I need to have a change.

Budget wise the current S5II deal looks good.

Other option is to get a used A7iv and a 50/85 and the 28-70.

Those pics look great. Loving the dog!

Thank you. The A9/70-200 has been great for what I wa using it for, but as I am now trying to attempt some more video and other bits I need to have a change.

Budget wise the current S5II deal looks good.

Other option is to get a used A7iv and a 50/85 and the 28-70.

Those pics look great. Loving the dog!
Thank you! I just remembered another thing that helped me make my decision.

Lumix firmware updates seem to last way longer into life cycle and offer tangible benefits. Already the S5ii firmware updates have patched in Live View Composite mode (amazing for long exposures, light trails, stars etc), a handheld 96MP high resolution mode and the option to output in Pro Res Raw with a key.

On the flip side I've just seen Sony charge for adding frame lines and seemingly abandon their flag ship A1 with no more firmware updates and I thought if that's how they treat customers spending that much cash, they're not gonna bend over backwards to add value to the purchases of the level I'm making.

Again, that might be absolutely inconsequential to you or others but it definitely had a bearing on my decision.

Although I'm somewhat biased as a Lumix shooter, I first considered Sony when moving mirror less.

I've had Lumix from M43rds and FF and have nothing but praise for the system as it stands. Now the autofocus is improved on the S5ii (which I picked up recently) I think it's pretty much a complete package, you just can't beat at that price point. Also the menu system is so easy to work with.

Back