Panasonic TZ100

Perfect, many thanks. I'll go for a fondle over the next few days ...

Another thing... It's nice that the camera charges quickly when plugged into the computer via the USB, by the time I've transferred the pictures to the pc and processed them it's charged and good to go again :D

Just wondering if anyone has hands on comparison of the TZ100 and the TZ200..?
I've just started reading one or two reviews and have to say that the extra zoom reach would be very nice, but am I expecting too much from such a light camera (ie are they hard to hold steady at lower shutter speeds) and while the extra money is a major factor, so is the cost of the TZ100. However, any cost is soon forgotten if the chosen one does what you want, and saving on purchase price but always missing the extra features is not..

I think the IS is very good and you can use slow shutter speeds but I do find very slow speeds of very limited use as a lot of stuff I take pictures of moves if only slowly.

One criticism I have of the TZ100 is that the lens can be a bit soft but to be honest I try not to pixel peep pictures taken with this camera, for me it's much more about having a small and quite capable camera for whole pictures viewed normally and for that I think it's fine.

I didn't think my hands were massive until I picked up a Tz100...
It is just so small compared to any other camera I have ever used and I couldn't get my head (unlike my hands) around how to hold it, and I just couldn't hit buttons without a lot of fumbling.
Sadly it's not for me, so I am now looking at bridge cameras. Thanks for the help though!

Prego.

Sorry it's not for you but for me size is really it's raison d'etre. If it was the size of a DSLR, one of the smaller mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras like the Panny GX80 or a bridge then I wouldn't own one.

I find the TZ100 ok, yes it's a smallish camera but it's the size of the 35mm compacts I used to use (but heavier) so not really all that surprisingly small... and although it does have more buttons and controls than an old 35mm film camera I have no real problems handling and operating it that would stop me using it.

I had the much smaller Panny LF1 which I stupidly gave away. That was a nice camera with a faster but shorter lens than the TZ100 and genuinely shirt pocketable but with issues as I couldn't touch it without turning it on/off as the button is imo in a stupid place. One reason the TZ100 appealed to me was that the on/off switch can't really be operated accidentally.

Good luck finding something that suits.
:D

Prego.

Sorry it's not for you but for me size is really it's raison d'etre. If it was the size of a DSLR, one of the smaller mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras like the Panny GX80 or a bridge then I wouldn't own one.

I find the TZ100 ok, yes it's a smallish camera but it's the size of the 35mm compacts I used to use (but heavier) so not really all that surprisingly small... and although it does have more buttons and controls than an old 35mm film camera I have no real problems handling and operating it that would stop me using it.

I had the much smaller Panny LF1 which I stupidly gave away. That was a nice camera with a faster but shorter lens than the TZ100 and genuinely shirt pocketable but with issues as I couldn't touch it without turning it on/off as the button is imo in a stupid place. One reason the TZ100 appealed to me was that the on/off switch can't really be operated accidentally.

Good luck finding something that suits.

I really like the LF1 - I definitely rate it and have it as the camera in the car always!

Yes, I wish I still had one but I gave mine to a family member who wanted a camera and when I went to get another I found I couldn't. I did always wish that the on/off switch was a switch instead of an IMO too easily pressed button.

Some higher ISO pictures. The first is ISO 6,400 and 1/400, f5.9 (wide open at the longer end of the zoom) and the second ISO 12,800 and 1/100, f5.9.

eIRV9zc.jpg

NBNt543.jpg

Last edited:
I like this one. It could probably have been taken with one of the latest phones but I don't have one and I don't like using them anyway :D

mu8teh5.jpg

Thought I had given up photography but bought a TZ 100 and it has renewed my interest. Anybody know how to fit a filter to this camera, I have seen an adaptor ring on e bay in america but it is a silly price, anyone got an idea?

Glad you're enjoying it :D

I took mine to Whitby today. This one impressed me as I can read the number plates on the cars.

FiWuqvA.jpg

This thread doesn't seem too popular but while I have a moment I thought I'd post a few more pictures and thoughts just in case anyone is interested or helped. I haven't used this camera a lot but I am trying to carry it more so when we went to the park yesterday I took it along.

The main issues to me are that the lens is a bit soft and even softer at some focal length but doubtless fine for whole pictures or even crops depending upon your own standards, just don't expect this camera to give you cutting edge sharpness when looking closely. Another possible issue is dynamic range but I suppose putting this into a little perspective I tried to think about the Canon 20D and 5D I had years ago. With those cameras lifting the shadows was likely to show unsightly noise PDQ whereas with the TZ100 the files seem to be able to take quite a bit of pushing at least at the ISO's you'd expect on a day out. Low light shooting may be another matter. Just out of interest I googled the DR or the TZ100 and it's apparently 12.5, the 20D and 5D are apparently 11 and 11.1 respectively, according to DXO. Whatever the numbers mean this seems to confirm what I'm seeing, that the TZ100 pictures can take a push in processing when the old Canon DSLR's I had struggled.

Note that posting the pictures here may lead to softening and people willing to spend more time processing will no doubt get much better results.

This is what one picture looked like upon import into CS5.

Btm6BH6.jpg

The camera seems to have tried to protect the highlights and hasn't quite managed to stop the top left blowing a bit. I painted on some exposure correction in the top left, lifted the general exposure a bit and added fill light and got this.

oXNSycr.jpg

It was a dull day and I was shooting into the glare and this wont win any prizes but it's useable as a "we had a day out here" picture.

Pointing the camera away from the sun and again lifting the shadows a bit as appropriate gives the following and just out of interest I've included the focal length and aperture, all shot wide open. Googling tells me that this camera is a 2.73 crop and again out of interest I've included the FF equivalent focal length but I haven't bothered with the aperture.

The eye detect works well. I normally use aperture swapping to manual as the light drops and the camera selects too low a shutter speed and I also have a couple of custom settings saved with eye detect and wide area focus so changing settings for a people picture is quite easy.

f4.5, 26mm (FF equiv = 70.98mm)

qanPtdI.jpg

Same settings as above.

gAdXNms.jpg

f2.8, 9mm (FF equiv = 24.97mm)

5FkuuXZ.jpg

f5.9, 91mm (FF equiv = 248.43mm, the longest it would go.)

yTsEyBR.jpg

A 35% crop from that.

LXQ2Vk5.jpg

As above, wide open at f5.9 and at max zoom.

hbCa9ni.jpg

I forgot to include a 40% crop from that so it's in the next post.

Oh, and if anyone enjoys taking pictures of flowers and leaves etc I think it fills the frame best at about 90mm or so. This is a bit confusing as the camera reports the focal length in FF terms on the EVF and screen but the exif states the focal length as it is before applying the crop factor. Confusing? You may be able to change this in the menu somewhere but I haven't bothered. So, when I say that the best results for close up pictures are at about 90mm that's what the camera is telling me but the exif will state 32.96mm.

This camera wont replace my FF Sony A7 and IMO it can't match the image quality of my Panasonic MFT cameras but it is compact and light and will fit in a coat pocket and it has a good zoom range, I think the spec is 25-250mm. I try to take this camera when I think that my A7 or even my Panasonic MFT cameras will be too much and I do think it makes a nice day out and holiday camera. The last couple of times I've managed to go on holiday I've taken my A7 with 35mm f2.8 and this TZ100 for wider and longer shots and for when I think the A7 is too intrusive.

I hope this was of interest and maybe helped some.

Last edited:
What are recommendations for getting best from this camera, I suggested RX100 or TZ100 to someone wanting 'good' compact, and he went for this on cost grounds but results have not been overly impressive. (Example - https://i.postimg.cc/tCP9G2Gv/Lamb3-edited.jpg )
He's not really into processing so RAW is probably not going to happen.
I think part of it I he's been testing it in crazy low light and other situations where it will always be a bit tricky.
The shots above are good enough for anybody so it isn't the camera making things a touch soft and blurry at times!

Last edited:
What are recommendations for getting best from this camera, I suggested RX100 or TZ100 to someone wanting 'good' compact, and he went for this on cost grounds but results have not been overly impressive. (Example - https://i.postimg.cc/tCP9G2Gv/Lamb3-edited.jpg )
He's not really into processing so RAW is probably not going to happen.
I think part of it I he's been testing it in crazy low light and other situations where it will always be a bit tricky.
The shots above are good enough for anybody so it isn't the camera making things a touch soft and blurry at times!

I can't see the shot details but it looks like there's some motion blur in there. If the shutter speed and / or ISO are too unfriendly maybe use flash?

Reactions: 4wd
It could just be too low light and not being familiar with it even when we know what we are doing (...ahem)... it takes a while to get the best from anything new.

I only just got a cheapo Sony HX90 and realised I like a big zoom but... the sensor and overall speed is pretty rubbish. Dithering between TZ100/TZ200 or go for RX100 VI .. I currently have an X100F but think I might sell it as a don't use it much as the size makes me not bother. Just enough inconvenience to make me think twice. I have a Google Pixel 5 for lowlight shots so that's not a giant concern.

Anyone had one of these TZ and also tried the RX100? Just wonder if any thoughts / opinions and why you went for one or the other.

Last edited:
One thing to think about is the EVF. The TZxxx is fixed in the corner but the Sony RXxxx pops up and down and I think can be used to turn the camera on and off but if that's important to you you better not take my word for it and should check.

I think one factor when I went for the Panasonic was that I didn't fancy the Sony's pop up EVF.

Last edited:
Thanks, this HX90 has a popup EVF and it's pretty annoying. Popup and pullout before you can use. I keep putting the camera to my eye and realising I haven't popped it out. Good point. Fuji has me.using muscle memory!

Anyone had one of these TZ and also tried the RX100? Just wonder if any thoughts / opinions and why you went for one or the other.
I've used TZ series cameras for years alongside several cameras with larger sensors. The thing, above all else, is the bang for the buck. The TZ70 lens covers from 24mm to 720mm equivalent - and it slips into your pocket. It certainly has deficiencies but for the price and the weight, it's a bargain. Some examples from various TZ cameras...

Caught just after takeoff...

British Airways Airbus A380 TZ40 1020149.jpg

My wife making a new friend...

Friendly cat on wall TZ70 P1030492.JPG

About 1/16th of the frame - far from perfect but it got the picture...

Robin singing TZ40 1000633.jpg

About a quarter of the frame. Again, far from perfect but what else goes in your pocket and gives a moon shot?

Moon against black sky TZ70 P1030233.JPG

A grab shot from the other end of the cafe...

John Lewis kitchen staff at Swindon Panasonic TZ40 1020200.jpg

Another grab shot, from well out of slobbering or biting distance...

Dogs waiting Panasonic TZ40 1020107.JPG

I briefly had a TZ70 and they're nice cameras and one positive is the long zoom range but on the negative side the sensor is much smaller than the TZ100's 1" sensor and that does impact on image quality. That may not matter, but it's something to consider. Some may want the better image quality of the 1" sensor cameras whilst some may like the longer zoom range of the smaller sensor cameras.

I've just got back from a walk with my TZ100 so I thought I'd post some pictures here.

7YB87FG.jpg

Oaemks6.jpg

L4gb4N0.jpg

2bV1OWa.jpg

Last edited:
I've just got back from a walk with my TZ100 so I thought I'd lost some pictures here.

7YB87FG.jpg

Oaemks6.jpg

L4gb4N0.jpg

2bV1OWa.jpg
With lost pictures like that you should be ashamed of yourself ;)

But seriously a nice set, thanks for sharing :)

Back