Panasonic TZ100

kennysarmy

Yeah but can your army do this?
Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Recently purchased from the forums - surprised not a bit more chatter about this fine little compact in the Equipment sub-forum.

I'll kick off some photographs with a test of the zoom capability:

TZ100 zoomed out by Jeff, on Flickr

TZ100 zoomed in by Jeff, on Flickr

These were after the camera was factory reset and they were shot in JPG with none of the additional zoom settings enabled so just showing off the x10 optical zoom.

Last edited:
I recently bought one of these to see what all the fuss was about 1" sensors :D

I was surprised by the size of the camera but it's no larger and possibly a bit smaller than the 35mm compact cameras I used to use. One thing which I'm pleased with is the on / off switch as my previous Panasonic compact was an LF1 and it was just too easy to turn it on accidentally.

I find the TZ100 files a real step forward in image quality from the LF1 which shared the same sensor as the Panasonic LXx and I like the zoom range and the only complaint I have at the moment is the rather ordinary aperture range, no doubt a price to be paid for the zoom range. I'd say that the image quality isn't a match for micro four thirds but is definitely a step up from the smaller sensor quality compacts like the LXx range which were as far as I know considered to be about the best in class.

One thing I'd like to comment on is the dials and setting the aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation. I read one review in which the reviewed complained that in manual mode there was no way of changing the aperture but this is simply not true as shutter speed and aperture can be assigned to dials and a press of the top button of the control pad enables exposure compensation. Simples :D

I use mine in aperture mode until the shutter speed drops too far and then I switch to manual mode, dial in the aperture and shutter speed I want and let the auto ISO float. Actually I use the camera mostly with the lens wide open and only stop down occasionally. Zoom wise I leave zoom resume on and set to 35mm (equivalent.)

I think that this camera and other similar ones make very good day out and holiday cameras. I recently took mine to Thailand along with my Sony A7 and 35mm f2.8 and used it for wider and longer shots and for silent shooting and when I thought that the A7 was inappropriate to use and I have to say that it worked very well. I shot some comparison shots side by size with my A7 and I might just post them later :D

Last edited:
I recently bought one of these to see what all the fuss was about 1" sensors :D

I was surprised by the size of the camera but it's no larger and possibly a bit smaller than the 35mm compact cameras I used to use. One thing which I'm pleased with is the on / off switch as my previous Panasonic compact was an LF1 and it was just too easy to turn it on accidentally.

I find the TZ100 files a real step forward in image quality from the LF1 which shared the same sensor as the Panasonic LXx and I like the zoom range and the only complaint I have at the moment is the rather ordinary aperture range, no doubt a price to be paid for the zoom range. I'd say that the image quality isn't a match for micro four thirds but is definitely a step up from the smaller sensor quality compacts like the LXx range which were as far as I know considered to be about the best in class.

One thing I'd like to comment on is the dials and setting the aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation. I read one review in which the reviewed complained that in manual mode there was no way of changing the aperture but this is simply not true as shutter speed and aperture can be assigned to dials and a press of the top button of the control pad enables exposure compensation. Simples :D

I use mine in aperture mode until the shutter speed drops too far and then I switch to manual mode, dial in the aperture and shutter speed I want and let the auto ISO float. Actually I use the camera mostly with the lens wide open and only stop down occasionally. Zoom wise I leave zoom resume on and set to 35mm (equivalent.)

I think that this camera and other similar ones make very good day out and holiday cameras. I recently took mine to Thailand along with my Sony A7 and 35mm f2.8 and used it for wider and longer shots and for silent shooting and when I thought that the A7 was inappropriate to use and I have to say that it worked very well. I shot some comparison shots side by size with my A7 and I might just post them later :D

Thanks for contributing.

I did some side by side comparison shots with my SONY RX100m3 and whilst the Sony was sharper if I pixel peeped I doubt anyone would know which photo was from which if I printed them out or shared on Instagram! and the benefits of the added reach on the TZ100 might just persuade me to keep it and sell on the Sony...

What settings do you guys have setup?

I have an X-T2 as my main camera and changing aperture, shutter & ISO are a breeze. I haven't got off auto yet on this camera because the menus are so confusing. Also a bit disappointing that I've had to turn the touchscreen off due to nose-squashing-silliness when using the viewfinder.

I like the files coming out of it, I just need to find a semi-manual setup that works for me.

I have an X-T2 as my main camera and changing aperture, shutter & ISO are a breeze. I haven't got off auto yet on this camera because the menus are so confusing. Also a bit disappointing that I've had to turn the touchscreen off due to nose-squashing-silliness when using the viewfinder.

I like the files coming out of it, I just need to find a semi-manual setup that works for me.

Too soon for me to advise but I'm hoping to get a better play with it over the weekend.

Hoping I'll make use of the three custom saved presets so I can have one setup with maximum zoom in JPG and one for high quality with RAW selected.
I also need to have a good play with the video options as this will be my camera for shooting footage and stills whilst out on the golf course.

If you think the menu's on the Panasonic are confusing - try a Sony RX100

Not had a proper play with mine but should be having a fiddle over the weekend.

I bought one of these a month ago and absolutely love it. Well built, great quality pics. Well worth the money.

I bought one of these a month ago and absolutely love it. Well built, great quality pics. Well worth the money.
I've been spoilt with the image quality from my Sony Rx 100m3 the TZ100 is not quite up to that level but it's good. The 4K video looks very sharp! And of course the extra reach over the Sony is going to be useful...

I shoot raw and only use aperture and manual modes. I have the zoom lever set to step zoom and the lens ring set to zoom for any fine tuning and everything I normally use in the custom menu thingy. Other than that I have a custom button for calling up the focus point (to move it) and ISO, set to auto.

I shoot raw and only use aperture and manual modes. I have the zoom lever set to step zoom and the lens ring set to zoom for any fine tuning and everything I normally use in the custom menu thingy. Other than that I have a custom button for calling up the focus point (to move it) and ISO, set to auto.
I've set the option so that the touch screen is turned off when I use the EVF.
I've set C1 to RAW, aperture priority, auto ISO
C2 to JPEG, aperture priority, all extra zoom functions turned on so I have equivalent zoom of 1000mm
C3 RAW, shutter priority, ISO 800

Set movie mode to MP4, 4k mode & 25fps

I've had to download the Adobe DNG converter as I'm only on CS6 which the latest RAW software does'nt work with which is annoying!

Anyone using any other RAW software?

Two shots taken moments apart but sadly not exactly the same framing, one with my Sony A7 with 35mm f2.8 and the second with my TZ100. 100% crops follow.

Hopefully you can see that the whole images can be processed to look very similar and it's only really when pixel peeping or viewing large prints that differences will show. The A7 shot is much sharper and no doubt the A7's greater dynamic range will be an advantage for some shots but the little Panasonic doesn't do too badly :D

A7 and 35mm f2.8.

DSC07139-1.jpg

TZ100.

P1000385-1.jpg

Sony A7, 100%.

DSC07139-2.jpg

TZ100, 100%.

P1000385-2.jpg

This next shot has had the exposure increased and fill light added but doesn't seem to have fallen apart and looks ok to me.

P1000308.jpg

Last edited:
A couple more. Mangos growing in the park and a flower at ISO 2000.

1-P1000348.jpg

1-P1000301.jpg

And a PS.
I have some family shots which I'm not going to post as my GF will punch me :D which were taken at ISO 12,800 and after applying just normal non heroic processing and noise reduction they're absolutely fine for viewing on screen, I haven't printed them but I'm sure they'd be ok for family viewing if not for printing 2m wide in a gallery :D

I think this is a good day out and holiday camera for wider, longer and more discrete shooting especially when you also have a quality camera with a larger sensor to use when you want too.

Last edited:
Very nice :D

Little bird...

P1000352.jpg

Last edited:
I've brought my FZ1000 on holiday but tempted by the more discreet TZ100. I use a viewfinder and wondered how you all find it in use?

I wouldn't have bought it without the vf. AFAIK it uses the same field sequential tech some others use and some people see a rainbow pattern but I don't think I see that. I'm sure it's not the best evf in the world but it isn't the worst either and it is imo useable and I use it almost all the time.

I wouldn't have bought it without the vf. AFAIK it uses the same field sequential tech some others use and some people see a rainbow pattern but I don't think I see that. I'm sure it's not the best evf in the world but it isn't the worst either and it is imo useable and I use it almost all the time.

Thanks. I recall you had a GX7 as did I and I never experienced the tearing effect that some do.

Thanks. I recall you had a GX7 as did I and I never experienced the tearing effect that some do.

Yes, I have the GX7 and GX80 which I think use a similar EVF. I never noticed the rainbow effect but then again I don't tend to pan or move quickly from side to side. What I tend to see is not a rainbow but a general unsharpness.

I do wish they'd use better EVF's and I'd describe these field sequential things as relatively poor against what we've come to expect but then again... I suppose they're maybe a bit more compact (I read that somewhere...) and cheaper (I read that too...) and after all my whinging they are still useable and better than anything we had just a few years ago :D

Last edited:
Flower...

1-P1000278.jpg

Flower at ISO 1600.

1-P1000277.jpg

The bowl used during a Thai water ceremony...

1-P1000381.jpg

The ceremony was quite moving and it was a privilege and honor to be involved.

Last edited:
A beastie! ISO 1600.

P1000363.jpg

It's not a great sharp shot as he was moving and I had to be quick and didn't have time to faff with settings. I just wanted a quick shot as my then GF (now Mrs) had never seen one of these in her garden before.

More :D

P1000616-N.jpg

P1000628-N.jpg

P1000629.jpg

"Take my picture with the big ship." She said. So I did :D

P1000630.jpg

I quite like this camera but the files don't manage to quite match micro four thirds, don't look too good when pixel peeping at 100% and are maybe a little soft but... I still quite like it :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't use this camera much but I'm going to try and carry it more.

P1000849.jpg

P1000850.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for this thread - I'm looking for something small and light for holidays and to carry around every day.
I've not yet held one but feel that I'll struggle with something so small coming from a Nikon D850.
Whats battery life like ?

I don't think the camera is too small, it fits in the case one of my 35mm compacts came in but it's heavier than an old compact camera.

I don't know how many shots you get per charge, maybe one of the technical review sites will say but I can say that battery life seems adequate for a day out from the fact that I've never noticed battery life as an issue :D

There you go...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs100-tz100

DPR say...

"The ZS100 uses the DMW-BLG10 lithium-ion battery, which holds 7.4Wh of energy. This translates into 300 shots per charge with the LCD and 260 with the EVF (per CIPA testing protocols). That's right in the middle of the range for cameras in the 1" sensor class."

Last edited:
I don't think the camera is too small, it fits in the case one of my 35mm compacts came in but it's heavier than an old compact camera.

I don't know how many shots you get per charge, maybe one of the technical review sites will say but I can say that battery life seems adequate for a day out from the fact that I've never noticed battery life as an issue :D

There you go...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs100-tz100

DPR say...

"The ZS100 uses the DMW-BLG10 lithium-ion battery, which holds 7.4Wh of energy. This translates into 300 shots per charge with the LCD and 260 with the EVF (per CIPA testing protocols). That's right in the middle of the range for cameras in the 1" sensor class."
Perfect, many thanks. I'll go for a fondle over the next few days ...

Back